Start by marking “Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3)

Hostile Makeover

(Crime of Fashion #3)

As makeover madness sweeps the nation's capital, reporter Lacey Smithsonian interviews TV show makeover success story Amanda Manville.  But with Amanda's beauty comes a beast in the form of a stalker with vicious intentions—and Lacey may be the only one who can stop him.
Published August 2nd 2005 by Signet (first published August 1st 2005)

cloudyskye
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Not too bad, I rather like the story. What bothers me a bit is that I still don't feel that I really KNOW Lacey. Not like I know Stephanie Plum, Precious Ramotswe and lots of other female sleuths whom I've faithfully followed for years. Those I can easily identify with, but not with Lacey. Perhaps it's me ...
Or could it be the name, Smithsonian? Like an unintendedly Armenian sounding accident of a good, honest English name.
I do enjoy the snarky fashion comments like the one about bland Burberry.
Collette
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, byerrum
This is the third in her Crime of Fashion mystery series. Chick lit meets mystery with tons of wit, snide humor, sarcasm and fun. I've enjoyed all three books. This one centers around an ugly duckling turned supermodel through an extreme makeover, who predicts her murder right before it happens. Lacey (our journalist/herione) gets drug into finding out (through her amazing fashion clues) who did it.
Amanda
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Not going to win any awards of excellence... but it's a fun, easy read with fairly good writing. Someone who knows about Colorado, Washington D.C., and 1940s culture will appreciate this series on a deeper level than those with little or no knowledge. I only have one criticism- enough with the eyebrows already! (It's a pet peeve of mine when authors overuse the image of eyebrows arching to describe intrigue or surprise).
Anna
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read out of order. Very entertaining.
Aparna
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Hostile Makeover is the third instalment in the Crime of Fashion Series by Ellen Byerrum published in August of 2005. The is also the second Lifetime Movie that was made based of the book in the series. I wonder why the remaining books werent made into movies, would have loved to watch them.

Lacey Smithsonian - the heroine of the series - works for the paper The Eye Street Observer as a fashion reporter in Washington, D.C. - a city she keeps calling as "The City Fashion Forgot". Lacey snags anot
Nikki
Enjoyable mystery with an amateur sleuth who writes a fashion column for a D.C. newspaper. In this one, Lacey Smithsonian tangles with the world of reality television - specifically, the star of a show that takes homely people and, through plastic surgery etc., makes them "beautiful." Of course, this doesn't end well. The plots of this series are well-done, and I enjoy the newsroom banter and the vintage clothing Lacey wears. I recently learned that there are more in this series than i had thoug ...more
Saadia
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice murder mystery story: murder victim is a woman who underwent radical plastic surgery on a reality show to end up a raving beauty and became a super-model... only to develop a shrewish personality craving attention and insulting everyone around her. The radical life changing surgery has caused more havoc than anyone could possibly have imagined, as the story unfolds.

Setting in Washington D.C. at a small news reporting office. Heroine is Lacey Smithsonian, the fashion column writer, who keeps
Michelle
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Maybe my expectations were too high after I enjoyed the 2nd book in the series so much, but I found this book to be a bit of a letdown. There is nothing really bad about it, it just didn't capture my attention as the previous book in the series did. I once again loved the DC references, and the scenes with the family (what was so bad about mom and sis anyway?) made the end more enjoyable than the beginning. Overall, it was just an ok read, nothing to write home about, and not one I will read aga ...more
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another good mystery with great characters. Lacey's family comes to town around the same time that a model who was madeover on national TV, and whose fiance died suspiciously, is threaten. Mandy Manville begs Lacey to find her would-be killer before she dies--or after.

Armed with "Lethal Kick" Smithsonian, her sister, and her nine-iron wielding mother, Lacey hunts down the truth following a set of fashion clues and dealing with her boyfriend's ex-wife at the same time.
Tina
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a cute series of mysteries featuring a journalist who appreciates '40's fashion & style.I saw this movie on Lifetime & liked it. The writing style is fun & flirty, but I did enjoy the movie more. I appreciate that Byerrum is from the DC area, so I liked going back home for a little bit. I recommend it as a beach read.
Mary Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
(12/27/13) Super easy read for those times you just want a quick book. Read it in a night. Average story and average characters. Writing felt very amateurish. Still - it fits the bill if you're going for a fast easy "filler" book.
Diana
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What a fun series!
Martina Kopel
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like this book
Kelli Ferguson
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-mysteries
I liked this and can't wait to see the movie on Lifetime Movie Network in a couple of weeks.
Purple Iris
Mar 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
The writing is not that interesting, there are a ton of cliches and the characters names are all unbelievable. I'm giving up on this one!
Carolyn
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and "funny" romp that examines the extremes some people go to in order to find beauty.
Nicole Girolomo
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book, it is interesting how fasion and murder get intertwined. Nothing serious here, just a good fun read.
Cindy
Shelves: library-book
Fun and funny.
Leslie
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series. Simple, nothing fancy but a quick read.
Melissa
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
Book #28 read in 2009

This was a little better than the last book in the series, but it was still slow going.
Denise
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
The story dragged for me. It took me forever (for me) to get through this book. I have three more books in this series to read but am not in a hurry to get to the next one.
Hazel
Apr 08, 2015
Ana
Feb 10, 2018
Evelyn M
rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2010
Brittany Farrell
Oct 10, 2017
Nicky De
Nov 21, 2015
  • Accessory to Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #3)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
Ellen Byerrum is a Washington, D.C., news reporter, novelist and playwright. She also holds a Virginia private investigator's registration. Her Crime of Fashion mysteries star a savvy, stylish sleuth: Lacey Smithsonian, a reluctant fashion reporter in Washington D.C., "The City Fashion Forgot."
Lacey would rather be working "hard news," but her nose for nuance, eye for a great story, and talent f

Crime of Fashion (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Killer Hair (Crime of Fashion, #1)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Raiders of the Lost Corset (Crime of Fashion, #4)
  • Grave Apparel (Crime of Fashion, #5)
  • Armed and Glamorous (Crime of Fashion, #6)
  • Shot Through Velvet (Crime of Fashion, #7)
  • Death on Heels (A Crime of Fashion Mystery #8)
  • Veiled Revenge (A Crime of Fashion Mystery, #9)
  • Lethal Black Dress (A Crime of Fashion Mystery, #10)
  • The Masque of the Red Dress: A Crime of Fashion Mystery (The Crime of Fashion Mysteries Book 11)