Start by marking “Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories” as Want to Read:
Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories

Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories

(Anne of Green Gables)

Share Anne’s delight at receiving the dress of her dreams, the joy of a young woman reunited with her long lost brother on Christmas Eve, and the surprise of a trio of sisters who inadvertently end a family feud by arriving at the wrong uncle’s house for Christmas dinner.

Featuring some well-loved characters from the Anne of Green Gables books, as well as plenty of new cha
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published October 9th 2001 by Starfire (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories, please sign up.
T. Finley Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories contains excerpts from two different 'Anne' books, Anne of Green Gables and Anne Of Windy Poplars. So…moreChristmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories contains excerpts from two different 'Anne' books, Anne of Green Gables and Anne Of Windy Poplars. So yes, there will be some 'spoilers'. However most of the stories in the book are self-contained and don't feature Anne at all. So you may still be able to enjoy the book by just skipping the excerpt for Anne of Windy Poplars, which is titled Katherine Brooke Comes to Green Gables.(less)

Start your review of Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories
Miranda Reads
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
With both Christmas and New Year's stories, this book contains charm aplenty.

Yes, the endings are a little predictable and everything feels a little too sugary but at the same time, sometimes that's what you need in a collection of short stories.

Without further ado -

Matthew Insists on Puffed Sleeves: An excerpt from Anne of Green Gables. Anne spends her first Christmas with Matthew and Marilla. Despite all of the trouble she's gotten into, Matthew really, truly wants to buy her something special. He stru/>Matthew
Manybooks
I truly adore most of these sweet L.M. Montgomery Christmas stories, and actually try to reread Christmas With Anne and Other Holiday Stories every December. That being said, I have never all that much either liked or even approved of the fact that editor Rea Wilmshurst has chosen to include two Christmas episodes from the Anne of Green Gables series (a chapter from Anne of Green Gables and an episode from Anne of Windy Poplars). For while I (indeed) absolutely love both of these novels (and have always considered th ...more
Kathryn
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: LMM Fans sympathetic to the conditions in which she wrote these
Shelves: christmas
I read half way through this collection and found most of the tales sweet (sometimes overly so) and seasonal. But they are not up to the standard of LMM's novels. However, this can be understood when we realize that most of the tales were written earlier than her novels and that she was writing to be published and thus had to conform to the standards of the magazines (i.e., these were labors to earn money, not labors of love). Thus, the overly didactic style and sometimes cookie-cutter character ...more
Alicia
The perfect read for the Christmas season! Though her stories in this book weren't of the same calibre as her other books and stories, I really enjoyed this collection. They definitely made me feel Christmassy, and the stories were all very sweet (sometimes a little bit too sweet, so I didn't read it all at once). I recommend it to everyone, but especially to any Scrooges (haha!) because they're full of Christmas lessons about helping the less fortunate, forgiving old grievances and spreading Ch ...more
Beth
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sweet Christmas stories - for me, they were best enjoyed with space in between, only reading one or two in one sitting. Otherwise, it was sweetness overload. I'd imagine that big fans of LMM will want these in their collection.
Cecily Kyle
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read anything about Anne and the family in a Looooong time but I still really enjoyed these cute Christmas stories that gave me the feels.
It was a great time to read it as it is relevant right now but I love that it is in Canada and that they moved west like me ... lol
Good Read!
Julie  Durnell
A sweetly nostalgic collection of Lucy Maude's Christmas and New Year's stories, but the theme of reconciliation and inability to have enough at the holidays for one's family was just a bit repetitive. I enjoyed it enough but not enough to reread.
Katri
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: L.M. Montgomery fans and those who want holiday stories
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
A collection of Christmas and New Year stories written by L.M. Montgomery in her days before becoming a successful novelist, when she wrote short stories for magazines. These stories were discovered and edited by Rea Wilmhurst, who has also brought out other volumes of Montgomery's short stories.

The Christmas stories are sweet, sometimes even too sugary, but I think this is understandable considering that she had to write what the magazines were expecting of a Christmas story. Most o
Crystal
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anne fans, anyone looking for some sweet old fashioned Christmas stories
Shelves: kids-classics
Aww, how can you not love ANYTHING that involves Anne of Green Gables? if you've read any of her books, you know what to expect, but this is short little nuggets of stories, not all of which involve Anne. The cultural and historical setting of the stories is fascinating, and the tone is so sweet and wholesome, and yet completely unpretentious or preachy that I couldn't put the book down. I read the whole thing in one day. It reminds me of a little box of freshly made cookies. it's hard to stop a ...more
Audrey
These are delightful stories about the true meaning of Christmas written by a well-beloved author. They are few familiar characters and many new ones. Some are similar to each other but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of them. Children and young people learn that giving to others is more pleasant than receiving. Other families are reunited after years of discord. This is a book I want to return to in the future.
Luisa Knight
I really enjoyed this compilation of short holiday stories from Montgomery! One chapter was about Anne getting her dress from Matthew and another is when Katherine Brooke visits Green Gables. The rest are sweet stories that only ever got published in magazines.

Ages: 8+

Cleanliness: Mentions a man smoking a pipe. Mentions Santa Claus. Mentions a dance.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of e
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the feeling I had while reading this collection of short stories. I led discussions in a book club and in a book group online about the stories in this book. If you're looking for a collection of old-timey, feel-good books, then this one is for you! There are beautiful stories of love, friendship, family, forgiveness, gift giving, redemption, etc.
Francie
Such a heartwarming, cozy little collection. I really enjoyed reading the short stories and it is a perfect book for the season.
Kimberly
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Syrupy Sweet holiday read. Loved the focus on sharing what you have when times are tough (time, friendship, books, and stories).

I hope this book can help get me out of Grinch-mode.
Laurence R.
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How sweet! This is definitely a book that I will reread over the following holiday seasons.
Abigail
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L.M. Montgomery Fans Looking for a Christmas Read
Best known for her beloved children's classic, Anne of Green Gables , and the seven sequels which followed upon it, Canadian author L.M. Montgomery was also a prolific short-story writer, selling her creations to religious and secular magazines and journals beginning in the late 1800s. These stories, numbering over 500, had largely disappeared from the public eye, until Montgomery scholar Rea Wilmshurst began collecting them in themed anthologies, beginning with the 1988 publication of Akin to Anne: ...more
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes around the holidays, a little light reading is best to take one's mind off of the hustle and bustle of Christmas and New Year's day. But light need not be mindless. A book *can be* fun, light, and yet engaging and thought provoking. It can warm your heart, and challenge you to think of certain moral issues, such as gratitude and helping others.

The book that accomplished this for me is the collection of short stories entitled, *Christmas With Anne and Other Holiday Stories*, by L. M. M
Kathryn
This was a very sweet Christmas/New Year short story collection. The only other books I have read by L.M. Montgomery are the Anne of Green Gables series, and it was interesting to read these short stories and come across ideas and character names which she had used in the Anne series! It is definitely a heart-warming read, full of good cheer and Christmas spirit.
Melki
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This collection features two excerpts from the Anne series, and several forgettable short stories. Most of the tales involve characters doing what they can to make Christmas brighter for the less fortunate.
Lisa Brown
A completely delightful collection of short stories, all centered around Christmas. At first, I was worried that they would all be excerpts from the different Anne books, but only the first story was about Anne, and the rest were diverse and all very sweet. There was a common theme among them of love, giving, and reconciliation. I really loved it - it just made you feel happy and want to help others.
Shelley
Absolutely charming series of Christmas stories, including the puffed sleeves and Katharine Brooke's visit chapters. Winters and small happinesses absolutely come to life in her writing, as well as the joys of kindness and generosity (both in gifts and in spirit). I always feel cheered after reading this!
Ania
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Christmas with friends.
Ruth
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 The stories were cute and heart warming and I always enjoy Montgomery's writing style. However, the stories did seem to become repetitive after a while.
Christina DeVane
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though few of the stories include Anne, I found these sweet short stories to be full of delightful happenings- unselfish giving, happy reunions, funny twists of fate that everyone makes do and it turns out to be the most memorable Christmas. My first time reading this, but I think I should enjoy this every November/December!
Jo
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
:/ disappointing. Liked 2 stories. Oh well...🤷🏼♀ ...more
Jenn { pink.dove.reads }
Delightfully heart warming stories.
Heather
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely collection of Avonlea Christmas short stories and it was delightful on audio :)
Robyn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. I don't care much for short story collections.
Natalie
While these stories were sweet and very heartwarming for the season, I was a little annoyed because the majority of the short stories are not about Anne at all - and the ones that are about her are not stories at all but chapters from two of the books in the Anne series. I was expecting a set of tales set in Green Gables at Christmastime featuring Anne and her friends.

Of the remaining stories that were not Anne related (most of them) they were fairly formulaic and fell into two main
Tiffany
I have read this before, during a previous Christmas season, but I needed a book right now, and 'tis the season, so I am reading it again...

AFTER: Ahhh, the escape into the world that makes me want to write. Montgomery has that ability to really push me to write anything and everything, create characters that live and breathe and dream and dance and have friends and troubles and traumas and joys. Every story she writes is like a little glimpse into a chapter of Creativity. This was a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Marilla of Green Gables
  • Enid Blyton's Christmas Stories (Bumper Short Story Collections)
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • What Katy Did Next
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • The Landscapes of Anne of Green Gables
  • How Chefs Holiday
  • Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony (Goth Girl, #4)
  • Sara Crewe, Little Saint Elizabeth, and Other Stories
  • Reasons to Live
  • Christmas at the Cove (Christmas at ... #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • In Search of the Canary Tree: The Story of a Scientist, a Cypress, and a Changing World
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Viking Encounter
  • Classic Christmas Stories: A Collection of Timeless Holiday Tales
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 19

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
“Babies are such fascinating creatures," said Anne dreamily. "They are what I heard somebody at Redmond call, 'terrific bundles of potentialities.'...” 0 likes