Start by marking “Darklight (Darklight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darklight (Darklight, #1)

Darklight

(Darklight #1)

"Vampires don’t exist. At least, not anymore..."

I celebrated when vampires were declared extinct.

Those beasts had preyed on humanity for millennia, committing senseless, brutal murders. Like the rest of my colleagues at the Occult Bureau, I looked forward to a world where we could all sleep at night—where constant cover-up jobs were no longer required to keep the public
Published September 8th 2019 by Nightlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Darklight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darklight

Start your review of Darklight (Darklight, #1)
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
DNF At 1 hour and 30 minutes (Audio Book)

Ooof! What did I get myself into with this book? I've given this author (more like group of authors writing under one name allegedly) more than a handful of chances and their novels just don't do it for me. Shade Of Vampire almost did it for me but then it didn't and here we are once again.

I like a different spin on vampire lore as much as the next person but this went in a very weird and forced direction. I'd like to know how this so-called "mutation"
Andrea
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an interesting take on the vampire mythos.

description

In this story vampires have already been discovered by the human government, and hunted into extinction. Or so they thought. Years after the last sighting of vampires there is now a new supernatural threat plaguing humanity. Namely giant blood thirsty creatures dubbed Redbills.

This is when we meet our team of young soldiers working for a government company named the Occult Bureau. We have our h, Lyra, who is the captain of her team. When sightings
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
I wanted to give Bella another chance. I was hoping she would impress like she did with her Shade of Vampire series before it got 60 books in. I was dreading it was going to be the same plot as SoV, I was pleased that it wasn't. BUT it had the same main female character. The extremely smart, resourceful, popular, talented, beautiful, headstrong, bland character. That's what I got. Again. Don't get me wrong, this was a different take on vampires, which I appreciated. I jut didn't like Lyra. At ...more
Katie
Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Did not finish this; I got mostly through but then was just not interested enough to finish, it became a chore to read. I like YA books but maybe just too YA for me, comes off like a fan fic of other vampire books that also have girls/women that like the men that kidnap them - stockholm syndrome much? But then go back and forth with being awful but also I'm maybe in love! Gross.
Passenger B.
The Twilight cover-rip off aside... this was just too weird for me. Giant birds working with vampires, humans using military weaponry to kill both...just whaaa?
The writing was cold, dead, simplistic. Didn't develop a relationship with the characters, didn't root for them or was curious to know more. DNF early on.
Debbie Turk
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Gripping Vampire Story. The Start Of Something Epic I Think!! 4.5 Stars.
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)
Darklight (Darklight #1)

Lyra & her brother Zach both work for special section in the Bureau. Their parents & uncle Alan all work for them too but in different capacities now that Vampires extinct. They fought to keep all humans safe & in the dark about vampires when they were on the front lines. Lyra & Zach & all of their colleagues up & down the Country are fighting
Shawn G. Drake
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Did not finish. Will not finish. I managed to slog through the first chapter, but was unable to summon the will to carry on with these bland characters and nonsensical action sequences. If you do not understand how firearms, small unit tactics, hypothermia, clothing, or helicopters work, consider leaving them out of your novel.
Kristan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really loved this story!
I've missed vampires and this hit the spot.

I really enjoyed the main character and how strong, loyal, smart and kind she was. She didn't rush into situations and didn't judge or go along with something because someone higher up said to she didnt just blindly trust anyone but she also used her gut instinct.
Dorian was also great but towards the end pissed me off for one reason but like i also saw it coming and i also kinda understand and hes just trying to be a good guy but
Terri West
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Slow, boring and really just meh. The advert said would be loved by Twilight fans, okay so I was younger when I read them but still an adult, this book couldn't touch the Twilight books. (Okay don't be a hater, I know people knock Twilight but we loved them, shiny vampires and all ).
Sorry it's a no from me.
Danni
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating read

I love this new take on vampires, it’s such an interesting twist that I’m invested in seeing pan out. The concept of balancing good/evil/light/dark is something that I think will be explored further in each instalment. The romance is great as well, I’m totally rooting for Lyra and Dorian already and for a couple of the side characters too. I am just gutted I have to wait for the next book, I really want to continue the story now!
Shannon Heck
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Slow going

Everything in this book just happened too easily. I was relieved at the end when the perfectness finally fell apart. People just don't get over prejudices that easily. It seemed unrealistic. I also wasn't crazy about the romance. It felt forced. The writing was okay, but I need more authenticity. Even a vampire book needs to come across as realistic in the world that's described.
Sherri  Morris
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable great reading

Oh wow! I really enjoyed this book and loved the characters and how they came together. I can't wait to see what will happen next for Lyra and her team with the vampires who stayed and the ones that were hiding. I can't believe that everything they worked for home and why was the Bureau going back on their word.
Nancy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vampire and humans

Awesome fast paced read with lots of twists and turns,great storyline with a different type of vampire mind of, romance blossoming between human and vampire and danger around every corner
Heather
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Waste

Most of this was good. I would go so far as to say riveting. It just kinda fell apart at the end. I read all the way to the last page. I would waste your time reading this if you like an ending.
Colleen
Sep 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
He showed me that light cannot exist without the dark
starla mcmanigal
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review

This was a well written interesting start to a new series it was fast paced and full of intrigue. The story line was really unique and made for a fun read.
Dec 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf, read-2019
Dnf - I don't think Bella Forrest is for me. I don't care for her style of storytelling.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’ve turned into a ‘book snob’!! DNF at 17%.
Sorry but I lost my interest at the conversation about a ‘tear’.
Tracie Hicks
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vampire lore shrouds us in mystery. Are they real? Bodies mistook as bloodsuckers when, in fact, it is a natural decay? Or, a story dreamed up long ago to keep children well behaved, to prevent women from going out for a midnight stroll, or the lust a man has for a woman? Oh, the list can go on.

Most of those stories are the same, sunlight kills, a stake through their heart, garlic to keep them at bay. We know all that, and more. It's all the same, but few others like "Fledgling: A Novel," by
Robin
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I can’t fault Forrest for her imagination with this new twist on vampire lore, and the central conflicts are compelling enough and the core characters likable enough that I want to continue reading to learn what happens next, more so than with her Harley Merlin series, which I needed a break from and never went back to after three books. The problems are with execution and one issue of personal taste.

Forrest’s prose style is one that over explains, telling her readers things that are
Francesca Preston
If you enjoy YA and enjoyed Divergent/ books with vampires give this book a go. I'm not typically a YA reader so the writing style of this book felt young to me, however I did enjoy it. I read the first three in the Divergent series years ago and this book gave me a similar vibe which I loved and wasn't expecting.

In this book you follow Lyra who's a solider/first lieutenant who works for the Bureau, an organisation thats goal is to keep the country safe from supernatural creatures. On a normal
Julie Rein
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
New author, fabulous reading ! If book 1 is any indication this series will be awesome!

Vampires that aren't supposed to exist, humans that agree to help them along with strange stork like birds that want to devour the humans. These aren't your typical vampires either, they sense the evil in humans and that's what they feed on. Now throw in an interspecies romance and you've got a page turner! Excellent reading!
Nicole
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book.

Lyra is such a great character, not one of those stupid bimbos who are constantly changing throughout the book. And Dorian...we all need a Dorian.

The characters were perfect in their owns ways, the story is good and this book ended with sucha cliffhanger. Can't wait to start the next one in the series!
Dana Lytle
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read!!

First book I have read from this author so I wasn't sure but I love the suspense, and couldn't put it down at times!!
Karen
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Redbills and Vampires

This KU library selection is a series opener set on an alternate plane in the United States. Lyra is a lieutenant in an agency that protects the citizens from paranormals. They believe they have eradicated vampires, but during the past five years attacks from giant red stork like birds have increased. Then, while on a Redbill callout, Lyra is abducted by a man too fast to be a human. And the vampire, Dorian, has a proposal for her.
Valerie Duke
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great book enjoyed every paged.well worth the read.kept me glued to the story and hoping the end was an happy one will have to wait and see
Tempest Miskell
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This was hard to get into at first however I wasn’t entirely disappointed once I got past my initial hesitation. I am not a fan of Lyra but I am really interested to learn more about Dorian. The world that has been created is an interesting take on vampires, I’d like to have learned more about the immortal plane. Overall it was an okay read.
Kati Fenner
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

This book is very interesting to say the least. I am very intrigued as to what the bureau is up to.
on to book two!
Jenae (Jeni)
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story

Unlike any vampire book I've read before. This story takes vampires to a whole new world, and introduces a new species to the vampire concept.
Virginia Paul
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not Standard Vampire Fair

I chose this book to see if someone could breathe fresh air into the vampire realm. To me the book starts off slow and I almost put it down. My oncology nurse said to keep reading that I would be surprised. She was so right! This author did what I was hoping and more! Getting the next book now! And planing on checking out her other work!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ice Dragon: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Dragon Misfits Book 1)
  • Brainwalker
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina, #1)
  • The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • A Vision of Vampires 1-3 (A Vision of Vampires Collection Book 1)
  • Shadow Rise (Shadow Fall #2)
  • Lawless (Steel Demons MC #1)
  • Fire & Flood (Mount Olympus Academy, #1)
  • Monsters (Prodigium Academy #1)
  • Compel Me (The Last Vocari, #1)
  • Demons (Darkblood Academy, #3)
  • Control of Five (Origins of the Six #2)
  • Bound by Passion (The Alliance, Book 4)
Bella Forrest is a lover of fantasy, romance, action, and mystery infused stories with twists you don’t see coming. She has sold over seven million books since her first novel was published in 2012.

*LATEST RELEASES*:
Harley Merlin 16: Finch Merlin and the Blood Tie
Darklight 5: Darktide
A Shade of Vampire 85: A Shard of Soul

Sign up to Bella's New Release email list and you'll automatically be

Darklight (5 books)
  • Darkthirst (Darklight #2)
  • Darkworld (Darklight #3)
  • Darkblood (Darklight #4)
  • Darktide (Darklight #5)
“I’d always firmly believed that anyone who wanted to change could do so. It was in everyone’s power to control their actions, and even more so, it was their responsibility. People could struggle with their darkness, but no one was beyond help.” 0 likes