Start by marking “Naomi: Season One (Naomi (2019-))” as Want to Read:
Naomi: Season One (Naomi (2019-))

Naomi: Season One (Naomi

(Naomi #1-6)

DC's biggest, newest mystery starts here! When a fight between Superman and Mongul crashes into a small Northwestern town, Naomi begins to uncover the last time a super-powered person visited her home-and how that might tie into her own origins and adoption. Follow Naomi's journey on a quest that will take her to the heart of the DC Universe and unfold a universe of ideas ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Naomi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naomi

Start your review of Naomi: Season One (Naomi (2019-))
Sam Quixote
A kid, sent to Earth on a spaceship by their birth parents who’re left behind on a doomed planet, is raised by surrogate parents in a small American town and discovers they gots superpowers. Wow - how DOES Brian Bendis come up with such original ideas? Bendis - the dude also writing both Superman titles! But yeah this kid is Naomi, not Superpants - although he is all over that first issue to let you know this be a DC book and, y’know, parallels and junk.

I know I sound dismissive but actually Na
Artemy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, dc
This started out really well but petered out in the second half into a pretty generic superheroic punchy-punch thing with tons of awkward exposition dumps. Naomi is a cool new character that has that Miles Morales-esque feel to her, but her origin ended up being far too convoluted and hard to follow, and yet there is a lot of time devoted here to explaining how exactly she came to be. Otherwise it's an okay read, but could have been so much better. Kind of made me wish that Naomi wouldn't end up ...more
James DeSantis
I'm a pretty big fan of Bendis. He is a huge reason I'm into comics (Ultimate Spider-man was my first major Marvel comic growing up) and so I will always give his work a chance. For the most part, all his Jinx stuff and DC stuff has been pretty entertaining, and I think Naomi follows in those footsteps even though it feels like it covers familiar ground.

We start with a everyday situation in DC. Superman comes crashing into town and Naomi, our main character, misses it. She seems to always miss
Chad
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, hoopla
Naomi is an adopted teenager trying to find out about where she came from after Superman and Mongul passed through her town in the midst of a fight. One of Bendis's main strengths is writing believable and engaging teenagers, that trend continues. I like how Bendis layered the story, building on it with each issue. My only issue is how the later issues are static info-dumps. Naomi doesn't do anything, she just listens. All in all though, a great start and I'm ready to read more.

Jamal Campbell's
Rod Brown
After trying his Superman books, I wasn't too hot about trying more of Brian Michael Bendis' DC Comics work, but this is considerably better as he, David F. Walker and Jamal Campbell introduce a new young heroine. Nice art and a fairly light tone make this a pretty good YA title.

I thought for a moment this was a reintroduction of the Milestone universe, as one character shown from the rear seemed to be sporting Static's original costume and Naomi's last name is a tribute to Dwayne McDuffie, but
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

As part of creator Brian Michael Bendis’ Wonder Comics imprint, conceived primarily with the focus to reach out to a young adult audience looking to connect with heroes that are trying to find their purpose in the world, comes Naomi, a character co-created by writer Brian Michael Bendis, writer David F. Walker, and artist Jamal Campbell. In her stellar debut, this creative team introduces us to a cunning superhero that could take the world by st
Joanna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do something that makes someone feel better or do better or just help.
Just pick someone up.
Shannon Appelcline
This second Wonder Comic has a lot of heart, but unfortunately it doesn't have the writing chops that it needs to succeed. It's a fun coming of age story, about a girl who wants to be a hero. And, the author(s) really place a spotlight on the fact that it's a wish-fulfillment story. Fair enough. Oh, and it's nicely integrated into the DC Universe, which is both to its benefit and its deficit.

Really, Naomi: Season One has two big problems. The first is that it's almost all told, not shown. Throug
Dimitra
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Promise me you'll make your world a better place. Any way you can. Your dad says: every day. You do it every day. Like breathing and eating. Do something that makes someone feel better or do better or just help. Just pick someone up."
Alan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the final issue had not been such a let down after a really good fifth issue the rating would have been higher. A surprise in my opinion, as Bendis' writing while he was Marvel never really held my interest.

Which makes me wonder how of much what kept me around after the first issue, and through the, for now, final issue, is David Walker's work. Until the last couple of issue I liked what he was doing on Catalyst's Superb (the company appears floundering as are some of the titles).

Naomi is, g
L. McCoy
This was not quite what I wanted...

What’s it about?
In a small town an incident occurred where Superman briefly ended up there. To everyone’s surprise there’s nothing about it to be found online. It’s been said however that years ago another space related event happened there but when Naomi asks around most people are saying it’s false... but she knows something different is up and she finds out some surprising things that may reveal some more surprising things about her.

Pros:
The story is alright
Richard
Brian Michael Bendis became a superstar at Marvel Comics, creating small but indelible characters that grew bigger than any of us ever expected, characters like Jessica Jones and Miles Morales. He's a golden child over at DC now and he might have created yet another super popular character in Naomi. This "season 1" of her series (the only material thus far), though extremely popular as it was coming out, proves to be a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I think the concept behind her character is an ...more
Scott Lee
There's a practical reason that so few new superhero characters survive their initiation and first years to become truly classic, always-there-always-on regulars in either major mainstream comic universe: it's really hard! Think about all the characters that are mediocre, that for all that they've been around FOREVER have never had their own book and probably are never going to. Or, a rarer number, the number of characters who have been lifted out of obscurity by a beloved creator who loves them ...more
Craig
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after a Miles Morales collection and it's fairly obvious that Bendis is trying to re-capture that same "lightning in a bottle" that he did the first time around. And, in some respects, I think he does. It's still too soon to really get a good sense of who Naomi is or what her everyday life is like, though she does have one staunch friend/ally. The origin stuff is interesting and unusual. I thought the artwork throughout was really strong. But the main villain is not that origin ...more
Lukas Holmes
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was FUN! Rarely do super hero comics actually get me excited, especially about a new character, but DC/Bendis finally found a way to do so.
Tim
I loved everything about this. Bendis and Walker deliver a great mystery and Campbell's art is breathtaking.
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
I'm really enjoying this series and its first arc. So far, the Wonder Comics I've read (Wonder Twins, Young Justice and Naomi) have blown my mind in ways I wasn't expecting.
This time, with Naomi, it's origin mystery. I loved the twists played in the story and how things weren't exactly what I could have guessed. Plus the characters, all of them, are so endearing that I want to have them for neighbors. Of course, minus the explosions and destruction.
I'm really interested on what will come up nex
Albert
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am going to make a big pass on this series, it simply does not bring anything new to the table. A super powered being, left on Earth as her parents battled on a doomed planet, to be raised by other super humans and humans alike. Not its not about Superman or Supergirl because...well Naomi is black and has dredds, so you know, she is like tons different. So so story and no originality which is surprising and disappointing considering its Brian Michael Bendis at the helm. Nope this character is ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Fun book! Reads great in single issues and I looked forward to it every single month. The world-building around Naomi and her origin story were interesting and the art was top notch.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with this character in the future, this first volume is just the set up of who Naomi is and what she is (will be) all about, now that that is all taken care of I'm curious as to her place in the DC universe.
Ramon
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant enough debut. A scooch padded. And has that problem where everybody talks the same even though there at least two aliens from massively-different cultures but hey, I guess they were all watching the same sitcoms in their 15, 16 years on Earth?
Eli Seibert
A fun and intriguing origin/mystery, with characters that have heart, and wonderful art.
Krystl Louwagie
I'm surprised I didn't like this more because Brian Michael Bendis! But...the plot felt too general, vague and.........."Mary Sue" ish. The art looked pretty, but connected with the story super poorly. Everything was over dramatic and distracting (which is something I fell into when I very briefly started trying to draw my own comic years ago) drawing dramatic emotions and reactions makes for exciting pictures, but doesn't always work with the dialogue and feel of the story very well. This is de ...more
Garrett
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this was much better than I expected. It's just convoluted and steeped in DC history enough to satisfy long-term fans, but also fresh and lively in way that many things with a heavy backstory are not. The art is gorgeous, and the characters are well-developed. Bendis' dialogue is in low-gear, heavy-lifting mode here, only really returning to his early roots with the cut-off sentences and Naomi's BFF. Linked to a lot of DC's major events, but also somehow lifted above them, this would be an e ...more
Matt
Collects Naomi issues #1-6

This is a great new title, with an excellent (and original) origin story. I really appreciate what Bendis and Walker are doing here, and I honestly thought that as the story was building in this first volume, every issue got better and better. The plot points and mysteries were growing throughout this collection in a way that was very compelling. I can't wait to see what the writing team does with this character in the future.
Baba
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-reads-kapow
One of those books despite what on paper looks like a great creative line-up makes one wonder was it written for a younger audience. Not much else to add really... big wow she's an African-American, but the story is not new at all, the artwork is just average if that, although it's good to see an artist drawing more real women shapes. 7 out of 12, for the first half of intrigue and mystery.
Josh
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Setting a new origin story for a brand new character, Bendis and Walker bring some engaging complexity to the life of Naomi as she struggles to understand her place in the world. Season one brings a balance of humor and real emotion, setting up an intriguing new story with clear ties to the larger DC Universe. It doesn't fully set itself apart from other superhero narratives as the story continues to develop, but the central characters and Campbell's dramatic art make this a worthwhile read.
Key West Library
This was a great introduction to the character! I like the parallels to Superman with Naomi still being her own person. I love her adopted parents so much, they're amazing with her! Overall I really enjoyed this and I'm excited to see where it goes in the next volume!
Ginny
I need more Naomi like right the hell now! Loved this one so damn much!
The Fizza
1.5 STARSI wanted to like this but unfortunately Bendis wrote this book sooooo nothing memorable and of course:

1) Everyone has the same voice and none of those voices fit the characters.
2) It starts off decently enough with everyday things to 'ground' the story then it's takes a turn and goes heavy-handed through the most obvious well trodden ground in the YA genre.
3) Not quite bad though not quite good, finally it settles in as a middling, sometimes trite, book.

All of which is sad because, sa
John
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feels a bit forced.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wonder Twins Vol. 1: Activate!
  • Dial H for Hero Vol. 1: Enter the Heroverse
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: The Just War
  • Batman/Superman, Vol. 1: Who are the Secret Six?
  • Heroes in Crisis