Start by marking “Velocities” as Want to Read:
Velocities

Velocities

From the award-winning author of The Cipher and Buddha Boy, comes Velocities, Kathe Koja’s second electrifying collection of short fiction. Thirteen stories, two never before published, all flying at the speed of strange.
Published April 21st 2020 by Meerkat Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Velocities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velocities

Start your review of Velocities
Char
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
VELOCITIES: STORIES is a diverse, energetic and mysterious collection of stories by a woman that has mastered the art of storytelling.

I am a latecomer to Kathe Koja's work, having only read one novel to date, which was SKIN. It was quite far out of my comfort zone, but as such, her writing was like a revelation to me. When I saw this collection available as an ARC I requested it right away and here we are.

Not all of the tales within worked for me, but in collections they rarely do. The stories
Janie C.
Nov 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed three out of the thirteen stories. While the writing was excellent, I found many of the remaining pieces to be somewhat tedious.
Lori
I was initially blown away by Kathe when I read Under the Poppy. That book affected me in ways literature usually does not. Many of the books I read will linger for a short time but later become muddled up with everything else I've read before or since. Details will begin to fade and then too the plots themselves. But not so with Kathe's triology. That one has stuck with me for the long haul. It is truly dazzling stuff.

It wouldn't be fair of me to attempt to hold this latest collection up again
Catherine McCarthy
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin? My book reviews are usually short and to the point, since I like to review everything I read and simply don’t have time to review at length. However, Koja’s collection deserves so much more than a few short sentences.
This is the first work I have read by her, but it certainly won’t be the last. I have to admit to being smitten. I read the whole collection in just two sessions, and even read three of the stories twice, and aloud, since they have that lyrical quality that demands
Zach
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Meerkat for the ARC - my review is up at Strange Horizons. ...more
Marie-Therese
Vacillating between 2.5 and 3 stars.

Short stories really don't seem to be Koja's strong suit and a number of these are mediocre at best, but there are a few that remind me of the power and sheer weirdness of her best long-form work. Overall, I found the historical stories both most convincing and most polished, particularly "The Marble Lily' and "La Reine d'Enfer", the latter of which reminded me strongly of Koja's wonderful Under the Poppy. Of the work with contemporary or near-future settings
Mike Thorn
Kathe Koja’s work has always wrestled with complex issues: the limits of agonistic art, performance/performativity, and expressions of embodiment. From her groundbreaking debut novel, The Cipher (1991), to her 1997 collection Extremities, the author often evaluates these topics through the porous boundaries of horror. Of course, it is not only Koja’s compelling thematic engagements that set her writing apart, but also her crackling, inimitable, urgent prose style.

Koja’s career-long fixations per
Alex (The Bookubus)
If I had to choose one word to describe this collection it would be melancholy. I feel that there is a sadness, a sense of longing, a sense of something unresolved that is present in a lot of these stories. It's a feeling that will stay with you and haunt you long after reading.

My absolute favourite of the collection is Baby, a story about a woman and an old doll she found when she was younger in her grandmother's attic. But this is no generic 'creepy doll' story. I'll just leave it at that. It
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Kathe Koja is a favorite writer of mine (The Cipher is my second favorite horror novel), but I’d never experienced her writing in the short form. Velocities, her second short story collection, just recently released and I figured now is the time to see what Koja can do with the short story format. And I enjoyed myself!

Like most story collections not every story here is a winner, but I disliked only three stories ... I quite loved the rest, and even the ones I didn’t quite dig are still written
Well Read Beard
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I appreciated it. Let me try that again. While I wasn't crazy in love with any of these stories, I felt a deep appreciation for Koja's style. As far as the books that cross my path ( I specialize in small press, independent stuff ), she may be the most experienced writer that I have taken on recently. I could feel that experience and while I couldn't really grab on to the narratives, I was a bit awestruck at the skill, style, prose. It's not an easy read. The ...more
Tom A.
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plague Review 20: Velocities by Kathe Koja

Kathe Koja's new SS collection is a demanding read. These stories need to be read as many times as possible to be able to get through the complex themes hidden within. A hindrance to achieving this goal is the fragmented writing style of Koja, often filled with very long compound-complex sentences with no breaks for dialogue. But is the effort to break apart these stories worth it? Yes, if the subject matter was compelling enough. And for the most part
David Wilson
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathe Koja’s Velocities is a short collection of thirteen stories. They are loosely broken into themes. The are as diverse as a box of very elegant chocolate, but I’d be lying if I told you they were sweet, or safe, or comfortable. Of course, anyone who has read her work knows better than to expect that. There are stories about art, and artists, drawing the last painful drop of themselves into images and pain, words and dance... there are complex relationships that leave you aching inside.

I took
Jammin Jenny
This was a really weird collection of short stories - all of which had a bit of horror in them. I think my favorite one was about a little girl who has a doll (he's a boy), and she grows up with this doll. She calls him "baby"...and baby apparently can come to life and crawls into her bed at night (when she's a teenager) and they get busy. She naturally has problems with real relationships. It was just a weird collection of stories. ...more
Missy (myweereads)
“Right now she was working on a new box, a clean steel frame to enclose the life inside: her life: she was making a box for herself.”

Velocities by Kathe Koja is her second collection of shorts stories including ones that have never been published before. My introduction to the author came through her novel Skin. I thoroughly enjoyed that novel because of the writing. Her style is to shock and awe and I think she achieves this greatly in this volume.

There are thirteen stories ranging from heartbr
Julia
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Velocities, Kathe Koja, delivers thirteen short stories that will have you turning the pages at high-speed.

Being familiar with some of Koja's other novels, such as The Cipher and Skin, I was extremely excited to get my hands on this short story collection. The stories range from haunting to heart-rending, and sometimes a bit baffling.

I'm not going to lay out all of the shorts in my review, as there is too many and I also don't want to spoil anything. Instead I will mention a few that really
Audra (ouija.reads)
A dark and weird collection of all kinds of tales, Koja proves with Velocities to be an inventive Virgil, probing the deep bowels of strange and hellish realms and shepherding readers through her dark mind.

These stories are steeped in strangeness—sometimes you just have to keep reading, immerse yourself even when you aren’t exactly sure what is going on. Koja doesn’t hold your hand on this tour of hell, instead she flits in and out, offering snippets of visions as if through a gimpy window.

My fa
Bill Hsu
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first three stories: "At Eventide", "Baby", "Velocity". Couldn't get into the rest. More notes:

Joshua Chaplinsky
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Great collection!
Demi-Louise Blackburn
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, reviewed
Picked this up on a recommendation from a friend who thought this would be just my cup of tea - and wasn't it just! This will not be the last thing I pick up from Koja.

Each story has a beautifully unique voice to it and the storytelling is something I can only dream to achieve in my own writing. Needless to say, this is an author I'm going to look up to and hold as a standard.

There is something utterly electric about this prose, urgent, pulling on thoughts and memories you didn't know you had. T
Ben Robinson
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Velocities is a mightily self-assured collection of fiction, not entirely generic horror but all to a degree dark and/or weird. Koja weaves stories worth going over multiple times to unpick their intricate threads. I look forward to reading more.
Carson Winter
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
(This was originally posted at Signal Horizon, check us out! https://signalhorizon.com/book-review...)

If there’s one symbol of horror’s growth in the modern era, it’s that it no longer needs to be horror to gain readers in the genre. Authors are no longer tied to the ground, they’ve spread their wings and have chosen to be called, more broadly, speculative fiction writers or fantasists. We’re at a place in time now, where an author can fill a short story collection with magical realism, horror,
Amber
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection! Very well thought out and diverse! Definitely recommend
Mary
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kept my interest from the first page to the last
Donald Armfield
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Velo Cities moves like a finger over a map, following the fresh prose of a dark fantasy story-teller on point, stopping at a fork in a road; shows maybe a monster or an end wrapped in cautionary tape of strangeness.
My two favorites in this collection:
Velo Cities: the title story moves like a discussion over art that turns into a darkness far more sinister than expected.
Far and Wee: follows a farm boy through his path through the city where the beasts walk... many beasts.

Recommended reading and
Ben Truong
Velocities is an anthology of thirteen short stories written by Kathe Koja. The anthology contains thirteen dark fantasy stories feature tortured characters whose lives are drastically changing or will soon end.

For the most part, I rather liked most if not all of these short stories. Velocities contains thirteen short stories written by Kathe Koja. These thirteen short stories moves from one genre to the next, which seems to be group together into five different sections: "At Home", "Downtown",
Kelly| Just Another Horror Reader
“Look, he said. Look at all the stars. Steep back steps, less porch than stoop, rusting wrought iron railing and barely room enough for two, but they had once been lovers, and so it was easy to sit touching, hip to thigh. His head back against the screen door mesh, looking up; on her right arm a fresh bandage, white and still, like a large moth waiting with folded wings.”

Kathe Koja is in a class by herself when it comes to writing dark fiction. Her creativity, her finding meaning in the most mun
Gavin
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before Velocities I'd not read anything by Kathe Koja. Her writing had me captivated, totally enraptured. Gorge feeding my minds eye and triggering all the emotions.

Buy it, Read it, Love it.
Sofia
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Thank you Meerkat for gifting me the audio version of this amazing gem.

I discovered Kathe Koja's work for the first time this year and have been savouring each delicious exploration like a feast. This is the fourth work of Koja I've experienced this year, which speaks to just how well her narratives draw me in.

There's something incredibly awe-inspiring about her prose (especially in her dark fiction/horror, like THE CIPHER, BAD BRAINS and STRANGE ANGELS)....this unusual almost stream of conscio
Bandit
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Because I can’t resist a pun, I must say Velocities just isn’t my speed. It’s an objectively good short story collection form an objectively talented author, but reading is a subjective matter and subjectively it wasn’t quite for me. Actually, I’m convinced I read Koja before and decided to stay away, but not sure that’s accurate, at any rate I believe in reader’s evolution and wanted to check this out for myself, it had, after all, the most exciting reviews. And actually, I quite enjoyed the fi ...more
Linda Hepworth
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start with attempting to convey what an amazing collection of short stories this is? I hadn’t previously read any of Kathe’s writing but I now feel that I want to devour her backlist … as well as to keep an eye out for any future stories from her!
Different as each of theses stories is, the consistent thread which links them is the author’s eloquent and elegant prose. I loved the myriad ways in which she used language to create a variably-paced rhythmic cadence to her narrative, someth
Literary Horror: November 2020 monthly read: Kathe Koja's Velocities 51 52 Nov 27, 2020 08:45PM
Weird Fiction: "Velocities" Discuss Everything *Spoilers* 5 10 Jun 29, 2020 11:36PM
Weird Fiction: "Velocities" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 3 10 Jun 05, 2020 08:55PM
Early Reviewers 2 7 Feb 17, 2020 09:07AM

• True Crime
  • Dear Laura
  • We Need to Do Something
  • Crossroads
  • Anoka
  • Children of the Fang and Other Genealogies
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • Tiny Nightmares: Very Short Stories of Horror
  • Worst Laid Plans: An Anthology of Vacation Horror
  • The Mercies
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold #1)
  • Benny Rose, the Cannibal King
  • Dogs of War (Joe Ledger, #9)
  • Cirque Berserk
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Black Hammer #3
  • Black Hammer #2
Kathe Koja is a writer, director and independent producer. Her work combines and plays with genres, from YA to contemporary to historical to horror. Her novels - including THE CIPHER, BUDDHA BOY, TALK, and the UNDER THE POPPY trilogy–have won awards, been multiply translated, and optioned for film and performance. She creates immersive fiction with a rotating ensemble of video artists, dancers, mu ...more