Start by marking “The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)

The Trials of Koli

(Rampart Trilogy #2)

The Trials of Koli is the second novel in M R. Carey’s breathtakingly original Rampart trilogy, set in a strange and deadly world of our own making.

Beyond the walls of Koli’s small village lies a fearsome landscape filled with choker trees, vicious beasts and shunned men. As an exile, Koli’s been forced to journey out into this mysterious, hostile world. But he heard a sto
Published September 17th 2020 by Orbit (first published September 15th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Koli, please sign up.
Jake No, the book actually builds towards the ending quite slowly. I think the two books were best read as one. I wish the third was out.
John Mclain Well, Monono says the Sword of Albion bears "Seven point two three eight degrees west of south" which implies Many Fishes is NNE of London (007.238 de…moreWell, Monono says the Sword of Albion bears "Seven point two three eight degrees west of south" which implies Many Fishes is NNE of London (007.238 degrees) so maybe Ware, or somewhere thereabouts?(less)

Start your review of The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)
carol.
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Koli, YA post-apocalypse
Despite often viewing reading as a solitary experience, sometimes friends are where it's at. A flash book-group got me through the first Koli book, and a buddy read with Nataliya was my impetus and reason for the second. The first half of The Trials of Koli was a lackluster experience, and without my buddy, I might have let it languish. Fortunately, two aspects redeemed it: Spinner's storyline and the events in the later half of Koli's story.

I've said before in a first person narrative, you have
Nataliya
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads
“Keeping people stupid is a good way of controlling them, but it’s a tough trick to pull off.”

Well, I don’t know. It seems to have worked just fine for Koli.

Yeah, I know I’m being mean but I just can’t help it. The books where you can’t stand the protagonist are just not that much fun. And Koli got on my nerves way too much. At least there was a second narrator to make it more bearable - but it still couldn’t save the book for me. I blame Koli.

Let’s quickly recap. We are a few generations af
karen
this second book, published just five months after The Book of Koli, is even better than the first, and feels much much bigger, even though it is only slightly longer in actual page count. part of it is the splitting of the story between koli and spinner this time, circling back to show, through spinner’s eyes, what happened after koli left his village (no spoilers), while continuing to move koli and his traveling companions forward on their adventures, exposing him to more of the world beyond h ...more
Bradley
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think it needs to be said: trilogies need to come back.

Certain stories require more page space. This second book continues The Book of Koli in a wonderful way. A sympathetic character in Koli is given a lot more dimension by other PoVs, but what really makes this shine is all the time and other character development out in the wide world of Ingland. :)

I'm not entirely certain how far in the future this Earth is, but all the remnants of high-tech weaponry and quasi-AI and massively altered pla
Baba
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Rampant book No.2. A book kindly given to me in exchange for a fair review from an agent at Orbit books. Koli now persona non-grata from his home; Monomo a self-realised piece of Japanese tech whose personality was originally copied from a vacuous celebrity; Ursula a loner one-woman tornado of pro-truth, pro-science and wanting to save the world; Cup, a trans female warrior looking to get more out of life, now she's left a cannibal cult...

IKR! Carey's reality building and characterisations kick-
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-tbr, sci-fi
The Trials of Koli picks up where The Book of Koli left off. Koli and Ursala and Cup are heading to London and chasing the signal of The Sword of Albion. Meanwhile, we are also treated to Spinner’s POV, and following her journey in the present timeline.

This book seemed to have more action in it than the first one, but even without the action I was hanging on every word. If you liked the characters the first time around, they’ll hook their claws in you in book two and not let you go. Ursala and
Gabi
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series-to-follow
I have a soft spot in my heart for stories told in a far away de-technologized future where characters and readers have to slowly find out what happened to humankind and civilization, and I have a soft spot in my heart for the narrative structure where a story is told as reminiscence of a far older, more knowing character and thus interspersed with foreboding and self-reflection. The Rampart Trilogy snuggles comfortably in both of those spaces and fills my reader's heart with joy.

This second boo
Dave
Carey's "The Trials of Koli" is the second book in the Rampart trilogy and continues the story of Koli's world, a post-apocolyptic England where people live in small isolated villages not knowing much of what transpires even in the next town.

Some things of note if you haven't read the first book in the trilogy are that technology has all but disappeared, but what technology remains is worshiped and revered and practically drooled over. Forget the idea that the batteries ever run down. That woul
Oleksandr Zholud
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second volume of the post-apoc low tech trilogy. I enjoyed the first volume, The Book of Koli (my review is here) and the second one is just as good.

The first volume set the world and introduced the characters. The second one is “the journey” more used in fantasy than SF, where a team of characters wanders around assumedly toward some important goal. This time the team consists of Koli Faceless (the narrator, expelled from his village from using old tech hence the surname), Ursala-fr
The Captain
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book in this series, the book of koli, then ye might want to skip this.  If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

So, can I have the third one right now?  Cause dang was this even better than the first.  I gobbled it up in one sitting and need to know wha
Holly (The GrimDragon)
“My name is Spinner. Spinner Vennastin. I am of Mythen Rood. On testing day, that fact is spelled out as plain as plain can be. Woman of Mythen Rood you are and shall be, under what name you choose. Maybe that means less now than it used to. Maybe, to you, it means nothing at all. Well, that’s no sin, and nothing to say sorry for, but it’s the main reason why I’m telling this. I am not ready yet to let our story be nothing. I don’t agree to it, I lived through great things and terrible things, a ...more
Joanne Harris
This series just gets better and better. Clever, compassionate and genuinely immersive: I can't wait for the next one... ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Imagine being born in a world where everything you know, everything you do, everything you think, is shaped by those in power. Discretely manipulated into abiding by the rules without ever second-guessing decisions by these individuals with authority, while threatened into staying put by the scary creatures that dwell in the shadows beyond the walls mounted by these people, you wouldn’t question your life, your people, or the world around you. T
Soo
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

5 Stars for Narration by Theo Solomon & Saffron Coomber
4 Stars for 2/3 of Story & 3.5 Stars for the Tail End

- Yay! I wanted the world to be fleshed out more & it was done well in this book.
- Lots of exciting developments but it felt a bit rushed.
- A little sad that there's only one more book in the trilogy, but excited to read it when it comes out in March 2021.
Emily
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Advance copy from NetGalley

From the first sentence, I snuggled right back in to Koli’s voice. His unusual grammar and vocabulary add a comfortable rhythm to his confidential tone to create a feeling of sitting around a campfire while a good storyteller spins yarns. The addition of Spinner’s POV in this volume enriched the story in ways I wasn’t expecting, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the final book in the trilogy.

With so many dystopian novels out there, it’s easy to get dystopia fatigue
Kat Dietrich

The Trials of Koli by M.R. Carey is the second book in the post-apocalyptic Rampart Trilogy, a Science Fiction novel.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Orbit Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background:    (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)

Koli Woodsmith was born and raised in a small village of Mythen Rood, after the world was lost.  His dreams were of becoming
Shorty
These novels just keep getting better and better. In fact this second novel in the series might even be better than the first one, and I adored that novel. And I must say again that this series is the high point in my reading list for 2020.
Clever, compassionate, and immersive, this creatively written world hooks it claws into you from the very beginning and doesn’t let go.
The characters that were introduced in book one come together in the second novel to make their own families, with ties that
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm continuing to really enjoy this series. I think The Trials of Koli was even better than The Book of Koli. There's more of what I wanted from the first one - more POV, more world building.

I loved having the perspective of someone who was still in Mythen Rood (Spinner) as well as Koli's viewpoint outside of the village. I enjoyed all of the characters and their relationships throughout The Trials of Koli. I'm also glad we got to learn more about the choker trees and the nature of the world the
Cherie
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As much as I hate books ending in cliff hangers, I am not too upset about this book ending in one. At least I know there is a next book coming in 2021. I cannot wait!

I have enjoyed the story told by Koli and Spinner in this second book. I love the language and the setting, as strange as it is at times. I love the characters and that even the tech items have names.

Kudos to the author. What a great imagination!
Steve
Just as good as volume 1. Loved it.

In volume 2 we continue with Koli, exiled from his isolated village and now embarking on that fantasy standby - a long journey! But what a fascinating journey it is, in a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world, with companions who are not necessarily friends. The journey is in search of the mysterious signal detected in volume 1, perhaps the only chance they have of seeing a more positive future beyond the anarchic, dying, world they now live in.

Koli was the solitar
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
This book wasn’t anything at all what I expected. I’ve been dystopian fatigued and can’t bring myself to even attempt anything from that genre (Thanks Covid). But the premise of this book intrigued me enough to take a gamble. And honestly...I loved it...while still being afraid, traumatized or concerned.

This story just worked for me, I was drawn along with curiosity to see what developed. The prose was lovely. The characters were nicely developed. While there isn't necessarily a fast pace to thi
Traveling Cloak
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Trials of Koli is an almost-perfect follow-up to The Book of Koli. Everything that author M.R. Carey does in this book works, from the continuation of Koli’s story to the differing perspectives, all the way to the world expansion. Being such a huge fan of the first book in the series, I am really happy with the way the second in the series was written. Advance warning for minor spoilers related to book 1.

I want to address Koli, first, as he is the obvious highlight of the series. I love his
Faith Hicks
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is so good! SO GOOD! Ugh, now I have to wait ages for the conclusion ...
Liz Barnsley
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First things first this is book 2 of a trilogy so if you have not yet read book one you really should.

The Trials of Koli is fantastic, continuing the story, adding in more detail to the world, even taking us back to Koli’s village to see the aftermath of his departure.

Pacy and addictive,The Trials of Koli takes you on a journey across a ravaged country, where even the trees can kill you and their only protection is technology from a long dead world. Koli is determined to get where he is going, w
Jordan
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
*4.5

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

I'm slowly catching up on some series I fell behind on, and The Trials of Koli was one that I had been particularly anticipating, though I also felt a bit nervous going into it. When I first read The Book of Koli, I recall being a bit unsure at the start before being slowly sucked into the story--this time there was no 'warming-up' period and I was immediately captivated once again by this world and the characters that inhabit it. Before diving
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
*4.5 Stars

I love what Carey has done here with The Rampart Trilogy; book one was released April 14th, now in September book two is in our hands. Enough time for book one to be well settled in my past, but not so long that my interest has waned. Very smart timing.

The fact that this is a stated trilogy keeps me involved; too often I start a series, I get invested in the characters and then by the time we reach book 22 it seems like the same thing over and over again; I often find that I’m done wit
Tammy
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A stellar follow-up to one of my favorite books of 2020, The Trials of Koli is even better than the first book—unique, engaging, emotional and highly satisfying.

The future rises out of the past like a fountain, and cannot be held back.

Koli’s adventures continue in this excellent follow-up to The Book o
Yvonne
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to reading this second book in the Rampart Trilogy. It continues the story of Koli as he makes his way towards a radio signal in London. His travelling companions are Ursual and Cup and together they make their way through the wilds, try to avoid others and also survive the danger in the world that the author has created.

The story flits back and forth between Koli as he journeys towards London and also of Spinner. Spinner is back home and this is where the author qui
Greg
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
5/5 Picking up right where The Book of Koli left off The Trials of Koli is every bit as good. This time around a 2nd PoV character has been added, Spinner, who you may remember from the first book. I'm always weary of additional PoV's added in fantasy novels as many times they can potentially slow down the pacing and feel a little dry and detracting to the main narrative. However I did not feel that way at all this time around. Spinner's part of the tale is every bit as engaging as Koli's and th ...more
Sherron
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
In this book, Koli and his friends travel. He’s trying to reach London to help save humanity. And you know, the process of reading this book does remind me of my many trips across the US on I-80 and oh no, we’ve just hit Nebraska. The scenery is just as you’d expect: oil rigs, cows, and cornfields, over and iver, while time and space play tricks with your head—the flat road, straight forward, endless, and sure to lead nowhere.

But there are good nuggets here—after all, Carey is a good writer and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Koli--flash group: Final thoughts 1 5 Nov 27, 2020 01:27PM
Koli--flash group: Anyone for book two? 14 10 Oct 04, 2020 08:16AM

• Benjamin Franklin: An American Life
  • Notes from Underground
  • Night Break (Young Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The King's 100
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Furthest Station (Rivers of London, #5.5)
  • The Hole
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe #1)
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars Sneak Peek
  • Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
  • The Silmarillion
  • Agency (Jackpot #2)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
Mike Carey is the acclaimed writer of Lucifer and Hellblazer (now filmed as Constantine). He has recently completed a comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and is the current writer on Marvel's X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. He has also written the screenplay for a movie, Frost Flowers, which is soon to be produced by Hadaly Films and Bluestar Pictures.

Also writes as Mike Carey

Rampart Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fall of Koli (Rampart Trilogy #3)