Start by marking “Hold Back the Tide” as Want to Read:
Hold Back the Tide

Hold Back the Tide

Everyone knows what happened to Alva's mother, all those years ago. But when dark forces begin to stir in Ormscaula, Alva has to face a very different future - and question everything she thought she knew about her past...

Unsettling, sharply beautiful and thought-provoking, HOLD BACK THE TIDE is the new novel from Melinda Salisbury, bestselling author of The Sin Eater's
Published March 5th 2020 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Hold Back the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Back the Tide

Start your review of Hold Back the Tide
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
Okay hi, Im not ok? You need to read this book. Ok ok Im calm.

Hold Back the Tide is Melinda Salisburys newest book, released last week. When I read the first chapter I knew it was about a girl who lived with a murderer. What I did not expect was everything that followed.

Alva Douglas is planning to escape Ormscaula and the murderer she lives with, her father. But as she tries to leave, strange things start happening: screams in the night, shadows at the window, and girls going missing. And the
Kira Simion
Sep 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-to-read
First impressions: holy moly this is book cover goals. Who designed this? Thank you for creating this. My eyes are blessed!
♛ Garima ♛
I think I am obsessed with this kind of book covers! Currently reading The deep...
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Wow. Wowowowowowowoowwow. My brain is reeling after finishing this book in two days! It was fast paced and a lot of the chapters ended in cliff hangers so it was impossible to put down. Loved every moment of this super dark, twisty, scary, and Scottish lore ridden book!
Beth Knight
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mel's best book yet defies genre categorisation and will simply engulf you in its wild and beautiful scenery with its thrilling plot that grips from the very first line to the soul wrecking last.

You are not ready.
Bright Star
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I was loving everything in this book and then... the last chapter happened. I didn't expect that ending and I hated it.

Olivia
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had no idea what to expect when I picked this up - it was mentioned to me as a book that could get me out of a reading slump and that it was spooky! All I can say is it's my first by Melinda Salisbury and it won't be my last!
Chantelle
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars.
Nicole Burstein
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not what I was expecting - in the best and most devastating way!!!

Side note: some of the best food writing I have read in a long while. Do not read this book whilst hungry, otherwise youll be craving creamy potatoes for an eternity!
Steph
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
JUST WHAT. This book was everything I wanted and hoped for from Mel: incredible characters, a spooky setting, wonderful writing and scary. I just went though every emotion... mainly being SCARED. This is a wonderfully atmospheric story set in the wilds of Scotland with an incredible main character and her murderer dad. Theres so much appearances can be deceiving moments here and I was here for all of them. Yes, I cried. I love Ren with all that I am. ...more
Blodreina (Red Queen)
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stelle
Murderes hate to be inconvenienced.

Ho capito intorno a pagina 30 che non eravamo nel presente e durante tutta la lettura continuavo a dimenticare che Alva ha solo sedici anni, continuavo ad immaginarmela molto più grande di quanto era in realtà, sia lei che Murren, forse per i dialoghi che fanno sembrare tutti molto più grandi di quanto siano.

♠ Alva è convinta che suo padre è un omicida, anche noi ne siamo convinti fino a pagina 15 quando sentiamo delle urla di donna fuori dal cottage dove
Marochka
Мне очень сильно понравилась эта книга.
Во-первых, я обожаю хорроры, а достойных историй сейчас на эту тему пишут крайне мало. Не скажу, что было очень страшно (честно: не было), но атмосфера хороша. Опять же вспомнилась моя любимая хоррор-игра Дожить до рассвета. В ее стиле написано, очень здорово.
Во-вторых, мне просто понравилось, как пишет автор. Не затягивая, атмосферно. Начинается очень оригинально, да и заканчивается тоже (Как же я рыдала!)
Да, не все поступки героев можно назвать умными и
Kara,
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Hold Back the Tide is a punchy, thrilling, and quite frankly terrifying little novel.
Set in the wilds of Scotland, we follow 16 year old Alva and her murderer father's lives on the Loch. Just as Alva is ready to carve her own path, everything she thought she knew flips on its head and she must survive unbelievable horrors both past and present.

Alva is a kick-ass protagonist and I massively appreciate her direct, cutting, gallows humour way of dealing with things. She is the fictional character I
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hold Back the Tide is Melinda Salisburys newest book, following the story of Alva, a young girl who lives with a murder. Over the years, shes set herself clear rules to make sure she survives. But, when dark forces begin to creep their way into Ormscaula, Alva has to question everything shes ever known in order to try and survive.

Its no secret that I LOVE every Melinda Salisbury book ever written and Hold Back the Tide is no different. Even from the first sentence, from the very first chapter,
Hollie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kasi
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
So I am giving this 3 stars. In full honesty,I have read the at such a weird time in the world that Im not sure I could fully appreciate it and enjoy it, but I have tried and it definitely became easier.

I didnt really know what to expect here and I spent ages really working out what I was actually going to be reading. When I finally got fully in to the groove of it, it was a really good read that I enjoyed. The atmosphere was great at the end and I came to really love the characters and their
Milva
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, my-books
I read this book in one day. It pulled me in right from the first page. It is unsettling, dark, full of monsters and family secrets. The writing style is so easy to read that you just fly through the book! It made me forget about the world which doesn't happen a lot. I love the setting too - a dark Scottish Lake with a village where grudges are held forever and everyone thinks that they know everything about everyone. I really recommend it when you need to take a step back from everyday problems ...more
Vervada
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting anything that happened and I definitely wasn't prepared for this book. I started it without knowing anything about it besides the summary and it kept me on my toes. The pacing is great, the atmosphere and the characters are great and the ending is both appropriate and heartbreaking. I love the fact that I can never predict where Melinda Salisbury is going with a story. This book reminded me of a movie, but I'm not going to say which one because it would be a massive spoiler. ...more
Tracys
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Mel's books are always evocative and well-written and this one is no different. Intense, spooky and engaging, with interesting characters, it grips you right from the first paragraph and doesn't let go until the devastating conclusion. It's an excellent book and well worth a read, although you won't be able to put it down . . . and you may well find you have a little something in your eye at the end.
Steph
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hold back the tide

I read this in a day. A stunning gripping thriller that I literally couldnt put down. Literally took my breath away and now Im going to go think about the ending.
Sifa Poulton
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best Mel Salisbury book to date (how is that even possible?). An atmospheric fantasy-eco-thriller-cum-horror (it works, trust me. And yes, it was a nightmare to categorise this book). Excuse me while I scream over the ending and demand to know what she's writing next.
Lyndsey
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new favourite, joining the Sin Eater's Daughter series on my top ten. Definitely need to read State of Sorrow next! Salisbury is incredible ❤ ...more
Kat Ellis
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloody brilliant!
Hannah Sycamore
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A completely absorbing and gripping ghost/monster story. Would absolutely recommend!
Sarah Corrigan
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's 2am and I just read this in one sitting and now I'm crying over this damn book so that's that, I guess.
Zoe
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5
Solenn
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beware this is one of the most heartbreaking books I've read in a while, I cried my eyes out.
Marie Bonsall
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A rare find - completely unexpected twists in places that are so perfectly executed; I really enjoyed this book.
Fran Dorricott
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy shiiit. Thats all I can say. Amazing. ...more
Chloe
This had a perfectly satisfying ending and Melinda Salisbury will forever have my respect for the way she wrote the Scots as a non native Scot. So thank you so much and read this book ASAP!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Correction for 9781407180298 5 18 Mar 20, 2020 08:23PM

• The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Starlight Watchmaker (The Watchmaker and the Duke, #1)
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Run, Rebel
  • The Amber Spyglass  (His Dark Materials, #3)
  • The Mercies
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • The Noise of Time
  • Dear Life: A Doctor's Story of Love and Loss
  • Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids
Melinda Salisbury lives by the sea, somewhere in the south of England. As a child she genuinely thought Roald Dahls Matilda was her biography, in part helped by her grandfather often mistakenly calling her Matilda, and the local library having a pretty cavalier attitude to the books she borrowed. Sadly she never manifested telekinetic powers. She likes to travel, and have adventures. She also ...more