Start by marking “Stories For My Sister” as Want to Read:
Stories For My Sister

Stories For My Sister

purchase at: elizabethduvivier.com It's May 1993. Two sisters, Bea and Mona, are about to spend ten days together under the worst possible circumstances. With seven years between them, as well as a lifetime of hurts and misunderstandings, is it too late for them to become friends?
Paperback

To ask other readers questions about Stories For My Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories For My Sister

Start your review of Stories For My Sister
Margi Smith
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Stories for My Sister" by Elizabeth Duvivier
This is a story of two sisters, seven years apart and a lifetime of hurts and misunderstandings between them, who spend ten days together under the worst possible circumstances.
I was completely overwhelmed by this writing. So tender and raw and savagely honest. I haven't let go of this book since I got it two days ago. I will remember and re read this again and again. Oh the writing! I am sad I reached the last page moments ago. Thank you Elizabeth fo
Caroline
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story with really lush prose. Characters are well conceived and completely believable. I was sucked into this world and very sad to leave it at the end. I enjoy completely character-driven writing very much and this was absolutely that. Fans of Elena Ferrante and Knaussgard will enjoy this book, as it has the same lyrical style that cycles between memories and the present. I look forward to reading more from this author!
Katie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a story! This book had me absolutely captivated. It’s not an easy story, but such an intimate exploration into the lives of two sisters and their mother, and all of the relationships intertwined. I really did not want this book to end and have been struggling with what to pick up next. Duvivier is a gifted storyteller who is able to transport the reader to another place. I loved this reading experience and cannot wait to read whatever she writes next!
Anne
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is so beautifully written. I found myself really enjoying it although it is not like many books I usually read. I wanted it to last longer, it drew me in with the story.
Evelyn
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories for my Sister is a brilliant book. The prose beautiful, the characters nuanced and complex, and the gradual unfolding of the storylines compelling.
Corinne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exquisite exploration of family, secrets and truth held tight. Lyrical prose, an engaging story, and an overall stunning read.
Emma Bernard
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I’m a sucker for books about relationships between family members and even more so, between sisters. Bea and Mona are seven years apart in age and light years apart in personality. They are forced to be by each other’s side when Mona falls ill and Bea must be her caretaker. As the chapters switch between each sister it becomes clear how different they are. Mona is direct, chic, and ultimately sad. Bea is a free spirit who got a little lost, but also an intellect. Each chapter adds a little more
Madeline
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG this one was delicious.

I almost didn’t read it because the cover was a little hokey but then....you can’t always judge a book by its cover!!!

It was so obvious to me that we were looking into the author’s brain and seeing the world through her eyes with this book. Every sentence, every line, every description- it was all so lush and gorgeous. She was speaking of her own experiences and those experiences far and away always translate to the best books. One doesn’t need to know much about it o
Rendell
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stories For My Sister was my first book of 2020. Not having a sister I’m always intrigued by the complicated relationships that exist between them. Elizabeth superbly developed all of the characters and their relationships. I enjoyed the way she told the story by using the past and present. I found myself identifying with Bea but understanding Mona.
Polly Fraga
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great first novel by Elizabeth Duvivier! I would like to read more by her. The story is about an older sister caring for her younger sister while she is ill. Parts of it take place in Wellesley, MA- a place I know well, and really ring true. Her characters are deep and complex. They feel like people I could possible know....
Michelle Kroll
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books, favorites
As I was listening to the audio book one day I notice that the release date was August 11th. This is also the feast day for St. Clare of Assisi. Even more poignant is that Clare’s name translates to light. Elizabeth Duvivier is that bright light for me. Stories For My Sister is a beautifully written testament to the intricacies of family, the beautiful and messy relationship that is unconditional love. I find Bea is the bright light in this story. My personal journey is not dissimilar to Bea’s, ...more
Sandra
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories For My Sister was a poignant story of a complicated family and especially the relationship between two sisters. It is a story that anyone can relate to (even if you don't have a sister!). The author beautifully describes the characters' innermost thoughts in a style evocative of Elizabeth Berg and Ann Tyler. I highly recommend this book!
Page Sargisson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book. I really loved the Bea character and hopes she writes another book about her! It was a little slow for me at first but then I couldn't put it down. Beautifully written. I hope she writes more books.
Michelle Chenard
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into the lives of the two sisters and was struck by the differences in their experiences and choices. In the end their love for each other was apparent.
Rachele Alpine
This is the type of book that you want to curl up with a full cup of coffee, a blanket, and savor. The pages quickly fall away and you're lost in the word of the two sisters Bea and Mona. It's one of those books that you don't want to end, but on the other hand, you keep turning the pages because you can't stop. It's the type of book that even a few weeks after finishing, still lingers in my mind.

Maybe it's because I have a sister of my own, or because I have two young children who I've witnesse
Sharon

• The Dutch House
  • Big Summer
  • The Last Flight
  • This Tender Land
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Valentine
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Aria
  • Chances Are...
  • The Stationery Shop
  • The Night Swim
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
Elizabeth Duvivier is the founder of Squam Art Workshops (squamartworkshops.com). She has been a writer all her life and a teacher since she was 19 years old.

She studied at Swarthmore College, Lawrence University, la Sorbonne (Université de Paris), Bread Loaf and The French School (Middlebury College). Elizabeth has taught English & French Literature, Creative & Expository Writing in a wide range

News & Interviews