Start by marking “Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right” as Want to Read:
Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right

Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right

Ogadinma Or, Everything Will be All Right tells the story of the naïve and trusting teenager Ogadinma as she battles against Nigeria's societal expectations in the 1980s. After a rape and unwanted pregnancy leave her exiled from her family in Kano, thwarting her plans to go to university, she is sent to her aunt's in Lagos and pressured into a marriage with an older man.

W
Published June 18th 2020 by The Indigo Press

To ask other readers questions about Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right

Start your review of Ogadinma Or, Everything Will Be All Right
Oyinda
Many thanks to W F Howes for gifting me a copy of this amazing audiobook via Netgalley, in exchange for my impartial review.

Trigger and Content Warning: Rape, Physical Abuse, Domestic Violence, Substance abuse (alcohol), Abortion, and Post Partum Depression.

This was a raw, powerful, and heartbreakingly beautiful book. I felt so many negative feelings while reading this. They weren't towards the author or her work (which was superb) but towards a lot of the characters and the events the main ch
Ice Angel
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
So many societal and cultural issues even religious defects are laced in this book from child marriage , to patriarchy and misogyny to rape and abuse. The book has rendered me speechless and I’m happy Ogadinma decides to live life on her own terms and put her happiness first.
Amyn
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this will make a book club very chatty.

Aisha (thatothernigeriangirl)
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received a review copy from Indigo Press for a Bookstagram Book Tour

This book tells the story of Ogadinma, a 17 yo girl who is exiled to Lagos, from Kano, by her father after a devastating incidence of abuse and exploitation. It’s during her “exile” in Lagos that Ogadinma is cajoled into a life that’s familiar to many women who live in a toxic patriarchal society.

Ogadinma’s character is exceptionally crafted. Olisakwe wrote her in a way that we are aware of her naivety but get occasional glimpse
Ankita Maity
Sep 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage, feminism
The author tried to cramp up a lot of topics into this book but failed miserably to create an impact.
The first 15 chapters of this book is dedicated to a submissive, homely Ogadinma surviving in a heavily patriarchal society, where she is raped, flogged, subjected to domestic violence, emotional abuse, you name it... and all of a sudden, starting Chapter 16, after suffering from a bout of postpartum depression, there is a change in her character portrayal. Viola! Our Damsel in distress is hookin
Abbie | ab_reads
Described as a 'feminist classic in the making', Ogadinma is the story of a young woman's journey to independence, battling everything the patriarchal, 1980s Nigerian society throws her way. From the beginning, she dreams of going to university, but an unwanted pregnancy (CW: rape & domestic abuse) leaves her exiled and crushes her university plans.
It's a tough book to read content-wise, as it seems at times like every bad thing that could happen to Ogadinma, does. But I think Olisakwe balances
Fancy Reads
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Oh my, this is for those who have a stomach for violence and endurance. I love the prose. It took me a while to sympathise with Ogadinma, but at the end, the journey was worth it!

I highly recommend this book!
Frances
Oct 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
One of my biggest takeaways from the book is the importance of speaking up in any relationship. If you have to keep quiet to make other people comfortable then you're enabling them. I'm glad she eventually broke free and started living life on her terms. ...more
Lou (nonfiction fiend)
Nov 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Super triggering!!!
Nasiba
Dec 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Olisakwe’s debut novel Ogadinma follows the story of a young girl ogadinma whose life changed drastically after a rape and an abortion.

I was so angry with the lawyer, he took advantage of Ogadinma’s naivety and raped her, I was hurting on behalf of Ogadinma, that she laid there and willed herself to leave the body so the lawyer can do whatever he wanted, I felt her pain, she, alone, confused and taken advantage of. He did not even help her in the end. That changed the cause of Ogadinma’s life f
Liv
Feeling emotionally raw after finally finishing this book.

Ogadinma for me, is one of those books that I find so compulsive that I do not want to put it down and yet at the same time cannot bear to carry on reading as it really unsettled me. Trigger warnings for those considering reading: rape, domestic violence.

I personally found the domestic violence scenes the most difficult to read and digest. I always struggle with these scenes in books and Ogadinma was no exception. This is not to say Ukama
DubaiReader
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, netgalley-shelf
Read this book!
This was a powerful book, at times quite a difficult read, It is sure to infuriate anyone who supports women's rights, as it highlights the injustices against Nigerian women in the 1980s.
I was listening to an audiobook version, read by one of my favourite narrators, Adjoa Andoh. I just love the varied accents she uses for Nigerian speech, yet she can divert easily to an English accent for the narration.

Ogadinma is just seventeen when we meet her. She is a young Nigerian woman, liv
Aisha
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
At 17, an incident of abuse forces Ogadinma to leave behind dreams of university, and life with her father in Kano. Now thrust into Lagos, her aunt’s firm push sees her falling in love and married to 35-year-old verbally and physically abusive Tobe. However, trials brought on by the political landscape means that Ogadinma will have to find the strength to flee before it is too late.

First, it is a credit to Ukamaka Olisakwe’s writing that this fast-paced novel comes across effortlessly and engag
Osueke Chibuike
Jun 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
"The very idea of sleeping again in the same apartment with him filled her with terror, and she felt a headache coming. Her mind was webbed with utmost fear. She was convinced that he would find another reason to hurt her again. She imagined that next time, he could pin her to the wall and drive his fist into her good eye, over and over, until it erupted into a gooey mess."

While I was reading this book, I couldn't help but allow streams of tears to flow freely from my face - I am not exaggeratin
Obinna Tony-Francis
Aug 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
(4.5/5)

As I picked the book and began reading it, at first I was fascinated. But as the story was moving and materialising, I felt the writer was moving too fast with scenes. But I later came to love it. Slow-paced stories can be a haven for me, but fast-paced ones, when told well, captivates me.

I couldn't believe I was rooting for Ogadinma and Tobe from the beginning even though the relationship was pedophilic. I felt bad for her when the rape happened and she had to be sent to Lagos from Kano
Aisha Oredola
Apr 17, 2022 rated it liked it
Dark times make us question if everything will be fine. The optimistic among us revel in the belief that things will definitely be fine in the end without caring about how turbulent times may be at present. It is better than letting dark moments consume us. Well I choose to believe that Ogadinma; everything will be alright – but with action.

Ukamaka Olisakwe wrote of a naive Nigerian female teenager in the 80s whose name is the title of this novel. She wanted an education, to go to the university
Anna Mena Obie
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Krutika Puranik
Mar 25, 2022 rated it liked it
// Ogadinma by Ukamaka Olisakwe

TW : Rape, Abortion, Domestic Violence, Substance Abuse.

Ogadinma means Everything Will Be All Right in Igbo but the protagonist's life is anything but that. Before you proceed, perhaps I should tell you about the many triggering points in this novel starting from Ogadinma's rape when she's just seventeen. This marks the beginning of a long and intense journey that the young girl has to undertake in a very patriarchal African society. There are a lot of triggering p
bookish kp
Apr 05, 2022 rated it really liked it
CHECK CW/TW
Ogadinma is a book set in 1980. It’s about a young naive girl that is being thrown into series of unfortunate events and the books tells us how Ogadinma fights her way out of it.

This book was so well written, the author tells the story in a way that draws you in and no matter how frustrated and angry you get, you probably won’t stop reading till the end. While reading this book, I had to constantly remind myself that it was just fiction because it hit a little too close to home espec
Onome
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put it away too long. I had to work in between but the story kept pulling me in. The plot or events are not strange because they are the realities of many Nigerian women but the narration and storytelling of Ukamaka Olisakwe is a strong force.

I am glad at the end of an abusive marriage and a traumatic life, Ogadinma found her voice. I just wished she spoke out rather than bottle up her feelings for too long. At the end of the book was were I felt her story was just beginning...

Really
Nwanosike
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Sure, it is a very difficult read; Ogadinma endured so much that I wanted shake her and demand a rebellion. Her rebellion came much later, and it was understandable because of the time, the society she lived in, her age, too. She was just a teenager.

She triumphed at the end.

This novel lived up to the "feminist classic in the making" hype. I recommend.
Samantha Kolber
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Who do you turn to for help when your own family is responsible for the abuse and trauma perpetuated against you? This story is powerful, sad, and ultimately hopeful as Ogadinma navigates a journey to selfhood and healing after a lifetime of subservience and abuse in a misogynistic and patriarchal culture. I couldn’t put this book down even through all the horrors she endured. And dear reader, there are many, more than any woman should bear. Please read this book so that these stories can educat ...more
Tosin  A
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Kano and Lagos, Nigeria, Ogadinma tells the story of a teenage girl who faced quite a lot of unfortunate situations and although the tag was ‘a modern feminist classic’, I didn’t really get that from the book. I mean, if anything, it reminded we the readers how deeply patriarchal the Nigerian culture is and how much women have to go through on a daily.
____
I found quite a few things interesting.
- How the adults who basically ‘forced’ her into a marriage were made to seem like they actual
Hannah
This book raises many important feminist issues which is why I wanted to read it. However I did not find the characters to be very believable. In the first scene, Ogadinma finds herself in a terrible situation where she knows exactly what is going to happen to her and why but is powerless to do anything to stop it. After this, Ogadinma becomes inexplicably naive and trusting of people despite the terrible things that have already happened. A lot more things happen and Ogadinma remains the same r ...more
Nina Appasamy
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Ogadinma" by Ukamaka Olisakwe is an amazing book. From the first pages, I was gripped, routing for the character, wanting to cry for her as her story took many tragic turns. This book was eye-opening for me, as I am not familiar with what life was like in Nigeria in the 1980's and 90's for women. I finished this book with more emotions than I feel I can put into words and with more knowledge than I had before I read it. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great piece of contemp ...more
Noni Salma
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just started reading and omg, Uka has a gem on her hands. This book is a page Turner. I'm currently on page 40 and I'm so moved to tears.

Uka has constructed a powerful universe for her character in Kano and given them the complexities you can ask of any fictional character. Ogadinma is the book I didn't know I needed until it arrived.
Michelle
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having the enormous privilege of having heard Uka read I knew this novel would be lyrical with stunning turns of phrase. I wasn’t expecting to become so deeply absorbed in Ogadinma’s life that I literally could not put the novel down until I had read the whole thing. This is a novel that will stay with me a long time.
SheReadsBlack
Enjoyed this one. It's a fast read, set in 80s Nigeria, and follows the story of the teenager, Ogadinma, who got exiled from home.

The story is very heart-wrenching, gutting, but Ogadinma won at the end.

I recommend!
Jim O'Loughlin
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memorable novel I will be thinking about for a while. Looking forward to Ukamaka Olisakwe's Final Thursday Reading Series event in March 2021! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vagabonds!
  • Wahala
  • The Mechanics of Yenagoa
  • The Baby is Mine
  • Yinka, Where Is Your Huzband?
  • In Every Mirror She's Black
  • Matilda
  • The Visit (Black Stars #1)
  • Tomorrow Died Yesterday
Ukamaka Olisakwe is a Nigerian novelist, short story writer and screenwriter. In 2014 she was chosen as one of Sub-Saharan Africa’s most promising writers under the age of 40 by Africa 39. She was born in Kano, Nigeria, and in 2016, was a resident at the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program.

News & Interviews

Mateo Askaripour is a Brooklyn-based writer whose first novel, Black Buck—which Colson Whitehead calls a “mesmerizing novel, executing a...