Start by marking “Cruelly Murdered: The Murder of Mary Magdalene Pitts and Other Kentucky True Crime Stories” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In this follow-up to "Murder in Old Kentucky," Keven McQueen presents detailed and thrououghly researched true crime stories from Kentucky history, spanning in time from the state's early history to the Roaring Twenties. The stories include the case of the governor's son who was tried for murder four tmes and eventually pardoned by his father; Edward Hawkins, a murderer on ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Jesse Stuart Foundation (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cruelly Murdered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruelly Murdered

Brian
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, crime, nonfiction
The only thing I found uninteresting (and annoying) about this book was author Keven McQueen's apparent inability to avoid political moralization in the reportage of history. Phrases such as "today's anti-death penalty..." anything don't really have a place in a book about murders that all took place before 1929. Other than McQueen's frequent visits to his misplace temporal soapbox, it was a pretty good book.
Lori Shafer
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Appalachian readers, true crime, Kentucky history
I have been wanting to read this book since I first saw it years ago. Since I wrote about Mary Magdaline Pitts in my Haunted Tri-state, I wanted to read what McQueen had to say. If you like local history or true crime, this book is a must. It covers actual true crimes from 1800 to early 1900's in Kentucky. McQueen includes stories that I have never heard of before. The stories are short, so it doesn't take long to read the entire book or just a story of two.

I borrowed this book from Briggs Lawr
Aimee
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I foud this a most interesting book. Mr. McQueen's writting style almost makes it seem as if you are in the same room and having a conversation. I look forward to reading more of his books.
Stacy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The true crime tales are well-researched and written, but the author's snarky attitude toward the criminal justice system detract from the overall work. It's funny in places, horrifying in others.
Sandee Clemons
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a must have for all Kentucky history buffs. I just finished this book and now I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. Mc
Queen is the best Kentucky author.
Tanya