Start by marking “The Gumbeaux Sistahs” as Want to Read:
The Gumbeaux Sistahs

The Gumbeaux Sistahs

(The Gumbeaux Sistahs #1)

"A bowl of my Mama's gumbo and a little wine will solve any problem you've got," said every single Gumbeaux Sistah ever.

Five Southern women wage a hilarious war against the ageism problems of one of their deep-in-trouble sisters using their improbable friendships, evil-genius schemes, oh-so-numerous cocktails, and a shared passion for good gumbo.

When southern artist, J
Published October 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Gumbeaux Sistahs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gumbeaux Sistahs

Start your review of The Gumbeaux Sistahs
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
The Gumbeaux Sistahs is a fun and enjoyable romp! I want to be a Sistah! Don't miss this one! ...more
Renee
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
First Wives Club meets Poms meets Steel Magnolias

When Judith is abruptly fired from her art museu m management job to make way for a younger male director, she decides to drown her sorrows at her local coffee shop, where a group of unique women befriend her. At first she tries to give them the brush off, but they won't take no for an answer. Congregating at each other's homes over competing gumbo recipes (each woman thinks hers is the best), they scheme together to find a way for Judith to make
Andrea
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love these women, every single one of them. They are the kind of women I aspire to be now, even in my 40s, let alone when I am in my 60s. That fierce sense of loyalty and friendship and desire to boost each other up in the face of adversity is the kind of clan every woman needs in her life, even if she doesn't realize it. As we go through the book as they are trying to get revenge for Judith's firing, we see how each woman came to be the strong woman she is today and how she realized that thes ...more
Gigi
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love love

This is such a wonderful feel good book! Absolutely loved it! This being set in Covington, LA we visit often. Love your writing style. I need some good friends
Susan Peterson
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delightfully charming book about friendship! These endearing women are a true sisterhood—loving and bickering and teasing and helping each other as much as they can! I found myself wanting to be one of the Gumbeaux Sistahs! I laughed out loud many times, but there are many poignant parts as well. The setting of Covington, Louisiana came to life on every page. This story is lively and lovely, and I can’t wait to read more about this group of women and hopefully meet more friends!
Marty
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This heartwarming little book is all about friendship, determination, and caring. That it takes place where I live was lagniappe! (A little something extra). Knowing all the places was so much fun! The story line is as uplifting as the characters themselves. This is a light, fun story involves some kooky, over-fifty women with big hearts and determination to get things done. They’re the epitome of the New Orleans spirit. Their distinct personalities make them “Gumbeaux Sistahs” as they cook, dan ...more
Mary Lovill
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Judith is okay alone, but finds out that having Sistahs is much, much, better, especially when together they find the best recipes to soothe the soul. A pinch of love, a dash of laughter and cups of hilarity equal a book that you will not want to put down. I loved every minute and you will too...Don’t forget to make your mama’s Gumbeaux before you sit down to read so that you will experience a heart warming good time on every level :)
Mary Beth Magee
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life is better with Gumbeaux!

Take one unemployed art museum director. Add four helpings of open-hearted women. Season with caring and helping. Mix well and dive in!

In the vein of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Jax Frey crafts a clever mystery set in the Covington, LA art world. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry and you’ll laugh some more at the antics of The Gumbeaux Sistahs. And if you have any Gumbeaux Sistahs in your life, count yourself especially blessed.
Caety
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a delightful story of women supporting women, and supporting their communities. I loved getting to know all the quirkiness of these characters and would like to know more. Added bonus, recipes at the end of the book! You might want to make a pot of Gumbeaux before sitting down with this book.
S. Renée Mack
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried...I want gumbeaux sistahs! Gumbeaux Sistahs, a novel is a wonderful read that stops you from putting it down becuase you have to know what happens next! A true example of friendship and what we all should strive to be. Please check out her site for the book and beautiful art! Jax Art & Gifts!
Leslie Anne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The story and the characters were good, yet underdeveloped. Although there was a fair amount of redundancy, this local favourite was an easy Saturday afternoon read. I enjoyed the sense of community highlighted. Its YaYa-esque shadowing and location of the story is warming.
Johnella Ross
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Loved the sistah hood. This is the way women should relate instead of jealousy.
It brought out the best in each person.
Genevieve

• The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Dirty Letters
  • Last Day
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • The Lonely Heart Attack Club (The Lonely Heart Attack Club #1)
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • Across That Bridge: A Vision for Change and the Future of America
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • The Taste of Air
  • Christmas on Madrona Island (Madrona Island, #3.5)
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • Muddy Bottom
  • Honeysuckle Season
  • Beneath This Tree
  • Our Husband
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller, #1)
Jax Frey, author & artist: Born in New Orleans, Jax came into this world whooping & hollering with a sense of celebration of southern culture, food, family and fun. Translating that celebration into her writing and onto canvas is her true calling.

The Gumbeaux Sistahs (2 books)
  • Gumbeaux Love: Book 2 of the Gumbeaux Sistahs novels