Start by marking “Thank You, Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:

(Amelia Bedelia #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  4,480 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
A classic Amelia Bedelia story is now an I Can Read Book, and in full color too! With new illustrations based on the original art of Fritz Siebel, this laugh-out-loud favorite comes to life as the lovable, literal-minded housekeeper strips the sheets, pares the vegetables, and makes a jelly roll for Great-Aunt Myra's visit. This new edition is sure to please every fan of A ...more
Published August 6th 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Amelia Bedelia

Rossy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, funny
Great-Aunt Myra will be visiting the Rogers and Amelia Bedelia has to get everything ready, from stringing beans (with a string), to separating eggs (each one far away from the other)!
Sonia
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: tutoring-books
Amelia Bedelia is still up to her antics and misunderstands everything.

This time it is during one of Mrs. Rogers great aunts visits.

She saves the day though with her great baking skills.

Luisa Knight
Between removing "spots" from a dress and "checking" the shirts, it's a wonder Amelia Bedelia stays employed. Good thing she makes scrumptious pies. I have always wanted to try one. I wonder if she has a recipe? Anyway, be prepared for another delightful smorgasbord of humorous antics!

Reading Level: 1st -3rd grades

Cleanliness: someone says "thank goodness" and "what in thunderation."
An Odd1
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timeless values. Gratitude can sweeten tribulations to celebrations. Goodness can be contagious. People's feelings are more important than things that can be fixed and replaced.

In preparation for a visit by Great Aunt Myrna, house-keeper Amelia, pocketbook usually hooked inside elbow, follows instructions of Mrs Rogers to the letter, almost. Sheets stripped, dry-cleaned shirts "checked", pink dress "spots removed", roses "scattered", beans "strung", eggs "separated", vegetables -- pared? When j
Alexandra
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
i used to read these books as a kid and i was so happy to come across one at a library sale. i had forgotten just how adorable they are.

amelia bedelia, for anyone who doesn't know, is a maid who works for mr. and mrs. rogers and basically any request that they make of her, she finds a way to get it mixed up. she is very literal.

mrs. rogers told her to separate three eggs and she took three eggs out of the carton and put each one in random places around the kitchen, hoping they were far enough
Matthew Hunter
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny in all the same ways as Amelia Bedelia. It's all about misunderstanding and nuance. I loved helping our kids grasp the nuance during our read along.
Courtney
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
My children love these little books. They thoroughly enjoy each and every story, as if they are all unique and individual without any cause for similarity among them. Even though sometimes, they might seem tedious and repetitive to me as a parent, I do enjoy being able to read short-stories to my children that are clean and respective.
Jacquelyn Thompson
My most favorite childhood book.
Pabloguzman
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i liket this book becuase i like the cericters
Anna
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the culprits in convincing children to grow up into adults who think puns are funny.
Memory Toast
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite, nor my elast favorite in the series. A usual series of puns and misunderstandings and delicious baked goods.
Jaden
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response:
The English language can be quite confusing. Peggy Parish shows this clearly in “Thank You Amelia Bedelia.” I read this book to my neighbor, a three year old girl, and she could not stop laughing at the book. I give this book a five star rating because I found it funny and easy for kids to comprehend to help interest them into reading at a young age.

Plot:
People often need help to prepare for the arrival of special guests, an Mrs. Rodgers has Amelia Bedelia for those tasks. Mr
Lauren Fogg
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
Parish's series of Amelia Bedelia stories may not be so popular now, but I really enjoyed reading these stories as a child. Amelia is a house made who takes what her employers ask her to do, by it's literal meaning. In Thank You, Amelia Bedelia, her employer's great aunt is coming to visit and she must prepare her home for company. Amelia is asked to strip the sheets on the bed in the guest bedroom. Amelia rips each sheet into strips. This story becomes even more hysterical when her employer ask ...more
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amelia Bedelia is always getting things mixed up. Mrs. Rogers has a special guest coming to visit and needs Amelia to do several chores around the house. Amelia is getting everything ready for Mrs. Rogers Great-Aunt Myra who has never visited because she doesn't feel at home anywhere, but home. Amelia scatters flowers about the living room, cuts the spots out of Mrs. Rogers polka-dotted dress, and literally strips the sheets of the bed into shreds. And although Amelia takes everything literally ...more
A
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rosa Cline
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Amelia Bedelia is a maid that comes to the Rogers house. She gets everything opposite of what Mrs. Rogers tells her to do. To dress the chicken, she gets material and makes clothes for the chicken. Putting the lights out, instead of turning the lights off she unscrews the light bulbs and hangs them out to air out on the clothes line. In this book Great Aunt Myra is coming for a visit and the Rogers are all uptight to help make Aunt Myra comfortable. Even with all the funny things Amelia Bedelia ...more
Mrswash
I can remember reading the Amelia Bedelia stories in grade school, and all I have to say is I still think she is funny. This series about a maid who takes everything literally, but you kind of feel sorry for her because you know that she always have the best of intentions. The illustrations tell a story all their own. As Amelia is receiving her assignments she always has the sincere face, and as she is completely ruining things she appears ecstatic. In Thank you, Amelia Bedelia Mrs. Rogers great ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Bedelia wants to help Mrs. Rogers make everything perfect for Great Aunt Myra's visit. But, as usual she gets the directions all messed up. Mrs. Rogers asked her to strip the sheets from the bed in the guest room. Amelia took the sheets off and tore them into strips. Mrs. Rogers asked her to check Mr. Rogers shirts from the cleaners. Amelia painted them checkered. Mrs. Rogers asked Amelia to string the beans. So, Amelia took the beans and put them on a string. It still worked out though, ...more
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Holly Chapman
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Amelia Bedilia book series is great for young children. They are funny and light hearted and I remember loving to read them as a kid. In this particular book, Mrs. Rodgers asks Amelia to prepare the house because Great-Aunt Myra is coming to visit. Whatever Amelia is told to do she takes literally. For example, Mrs. Rodgers asked her to scatter some roses around the living room and Amelia scattered them by throwing them all over the living room. These books are silly and are great reads for ...more
Danielle
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
Probably my most favorite of the Amelia Bedelia collection. The illustrations just add to the goofy fun when the main character takes instructions literally. As a kid, my favorite scene in this book is where Amelia is asked by her employer to remove spots from a dress. One pair of scissors later, the polka-dot dress is all fixed up! As a younger kid, I loved this book and read it over and over. Large print and short sentences make this a read for the under nine crowd who think puns are great.
Srividya
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one's a total hoot.

Okay I read this while helping my daughter in her English lessons but I was simply floored by Amelia and her literal thinking ways. What's more was that my daughter's class enacted a term end play based on the book and it was so funny and truly amazing. All those second graders did such a wonderful job of getting the essence of the book out there that the book is forever entrenched into my memory.

So, if you don't mind reading 2nd grader books and are looking for some fun
Jasmin Garcia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
Thank You, Amelia Bedelia follows Amelia on another adventure where she takes everything literally that Mrs. Rodgers asked her. She literally tries to make the "jelly roll", stips the sheets and separates the eggs! Amelia Bedelia books are great easy read books for beginning readers. I would use this book in the classroom as an example of what it means to take things too literally. As we all know, we all have those students who believe every word you say is true.
LeGrand
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
i loved these as a child and i have been re-reading these books again as an adult.. apparently someone in her family continued this "series" after the author died and his books are not as good as peggy's.. at any rate.. i was just thinking to some degree how formulaic some of her books are.. which normally would bug me but i love that her ability to make good desserts gets her out of trouble..
Maddie Smith
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Such a classic Amelia Bedelia book. This specific book is one of the first that was published in color which is super exciting for a child. This specific book is about Amelia's housekeeper and everything she does for the upcoming visit of Amelia'a aunt. This book is for early elementary.
Judy
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-easy-reads
My nephew insisted on reading this to me, giggling as he did so. Amelia is still up to the same antics, but they may need updating. Sayings like "drawing drapes" and "powdering the baby," don't mean much to today's kids.
Janet C-B
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Read this book with Megan, 2nd Grader, who gave it a high rating. Not sure she caught all of the expressions, but was able to understand well enough to pass AR post test. As an adult, I appreciated the humor and did my best to explain idioms, figures of speech, and outdated phrases.
Iris Robinson
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, fiction
Memories of reading Amelia Bedelia make me smile!! :) She's fantastic, and I actually want to buy all of the books so my future children can enjoy what I did (and so I can read the ones I never got to...).
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Edward Creter
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Amelia Bedelia is back and ditzy as ever. When her great aunt is set to arrive she sets off stringing beans (with string) and removing spots from her friend's dress (with scissors), not to mention she tries to make jelly roll...REALLY roll! Lots of fun for fans.
I think Amelia Bedelia is so crazy! 1 2 Aug 06, 2011 08:24AM
  • Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Update on Crime (Nancy Drew: Files, #78)
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-Sitter (Baby-Sitters Club Special Edition Readers' Request)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • The Little Lamb
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower