Start by marking “Please See Us” as Want to Read:

Please See Us

In this sophisticated, suspenseful debut reminiscent of Laura Lippman and Chloe Benjamin, two young women become unlikely friends during one fateful summer in Atlantic City as mysterious disappearances hit dangerously close to home.

Summer has come to Atlantic City but the boardwalk is empty of tourists, the casino lights have dimmed, and two Jane Does are laid out in the
Published March 3rd 2020 by Gallery Books

Availability: 50 copies available, 3820 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 30 - Apr 13, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Please See Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please See Us

Start your review of Please See Us
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Chelsea by: Gallery Books
    Shelves: from-publisher
    The world was always conspiring to make young women vulnerable while labeling it as fun. Made it seem like we were in control, like we were making all the choices, and then it was our fault when things went wrong. Us and our short skirts, our makeup, our taste for rum, for liking the things we were told to like, wanting what we were told to want.

WHAT 👏 A 👏 DEBUT 👏 NOVEL!

Friends, I have been so skeptical, and possibly jaded, toward psychological suspense in the year of our Lord 2019, but my
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Four realistic, heart wrenching, in the love of crime thriller Gods stars!

I can hear Drifters song playing in my head: Under the Boardwalk down by the sea, sea breeze on your face, sea gulls take their random tours on the air, people passing around, walking aimless, some of them dealing with their own daily troubles and cannot even see whats happening in front of their eyes. But now those boardwalks are empty! There is something eerie, terrifying about this abandoned, empty please. You want to
    Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
    ***NOW AVAILABLE**

Im stunned that this is a debut novel! In the mass of mediocre and just plain bad mystery/thrillers that I have read this year this book stands out like a light of hope for this genre. This author gets everything right, the atmosphere of crumbling Atlantic City, the great character development and the voices of those that are no longer alive.

I knew little about Atlantic City except that its hey day was in the late 1940s and 1950s. I knew about the diving girls who, along with
    Debra
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Two women become unlikely friends during a long hot humid summer full of dread, violence and murder in Atlantic City.

Clara a young psychic is struggling to attract clients so she can pay the rent. She begins having images. Images of violence against women. Lily is an ex-Soho art gallery girl who has returned to her hometown of Atlantic City after a humiliating and painful breakup. She now works in a spa in a desolate Casino. Both women have their own issues and demons but find common ground
    Paige
    Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Missing posters are hung around Atlantic city for a missing girl. Clara, a psychic, sees the missing girls face and feels as if she can help find her. Clara meets Lily while she working and begs her to help. But Lily has her own dark past. Will they find the missing girl or become victims themselves?

Chapters alternate between two main characters, Clara and Lily. Occasionally, a chapter will be from one of the bodies of the murdered victims (Jane Doe's).
    The writing style is opulent and
    Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
    Unsettling, stunning, & evocative!

PLEASE SEE US by CAITLIN MULLEN is a raw, edgy, dark, eerie, distressing, and compelling psychological thriller that absolutely enthralled me. I was immediately taken and entranced with how mesmerizingly poetic the enigmatic narrative was that I couldnt put this book down.

Its a storyline that appears to be something that we have all read before but let me tell you this is nothing but as there is something a little different here that makes this quite the
    David Putnam
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    Tried to get into this one twice and just couldn't drop into the fictive dream. I love the prose, the language, the syntax, the voice of the character. It should've worked for me. But the structure. There were too many points of view and the conflict wasn't clearly delineated from the onset. The opening is in the point of view of a couple of corpses out in a field hoping to be discovered. Three of the points of view are listed as Jane one, two and three. Had the story been written straight ...more
    marilyn
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Please See Us is such a gut wrenching, hopeless story. We even get to see much of the story through the eyes of six "Janes", women who have been murdered by a serial killer who thinks he is punishing Atlantic City and it's prostitutes for their sins and the sins of the dying city. All these women can hope for is that their bodies will be found, that their stories will be told.

Among the living is Clara, a sixteen year old psychic, abandoned by her mom, left to live with her prostitute, drug
    Katie B
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

It took me until the end before I could fully appreciate what the author did here. It was a bit of an uneven reading experience and at times I was frustrated at with the transitions between characters, particularly the Jane Does. However, now having some time to sit and back and think, I believe the writing style actually enhanced the story even if it took me awhile to realize it.

Atlantic City just isn't what it used to be as the dwindling number of tourists have forced many of the
    DeAnn
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020
    4 dark and gritty stars

This debut novel is set in seedy Atlantic City and author Caitlin Mullen paints the picture well of the once prosperous city that has been hit hard by the recession, hurricanes, abandoned casinos, and crime. This is a place not kind to women and this book may be tough for some people to read.

Its summer and two unlikely women have started a friendship. Clara, a young psychic on the boardwalk, is having disturbing visions of women and violence. Lily has retreated from New
    Barbara
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

In its heyday, Atlantic City was a popular destination for holiday makers and beach lovers, and - when casinos were legalized - also attracted visitors who liked a game of chance. In its golden days, the Atlantic City boardwalk was lively, restaurants were full, shops were bustling, and jobs were abundant.

Atlantic City in its heyday

With the rising popularity of other vacation sites, Atlantic City lost its cachet - and the once rocking boardwalk is now almost empty, half the casinos are closed,
    Theresa Alan
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was a tough book. The writing is good, and when I picked up a book about a serial killer, I wasnt expecting a cheery read, but I also wasnt thinking that every single character would be abused in some way, almost exclusively by men.

Clara is a teenage girl whos getting by as someone who does have visions but is more con artist/thief than psychic. Lila is a woman whos gone back to her hometown of Atlantic City to lick her wounds after her man wronged her, and what he did didnt just impact
    Aga Durka
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Please See Us is so much more than just a mystery/thriller read. I found the writing exceptional but what really made this book to stand out from all other books in this genre is the character development. I found myself simply hypnotized by each characters story. All characters are flawed people with gloomy pasts and many secrets to hide, but I could not help myself to like them all, even if they were far from being perfect.

This is not an easy read due to all the dark and disturbing
    Chelsey
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    Clara is a 16 year-old psychic whose mother abandoned her and now lives with her irresponsible aunt, Des. Des works in the casinos and hustles and steals to maintain her pill addiction.

Lily moves back to a dying Atlantic City after a mortifying art show opening where she learned that her boyfriend and potential client were having an affair. Down on her luck and desperate for a fresh start, Lily begins working in an upscale Spa in one of the casinos.

Atlantic City is a place with many lost souls
    Frank Phillips
    Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    3.75 Stars rounded up for this incredibly dark, atmospheric thriller debut! I listened to this on audio-book, but recommend anyone interested actually read the hardback, as I felt like at times it was hard to follow the numerous characters' perspectives, feeling like I missed a few details here and there. This book was all about the details too, so it took away from my overall enjoyment, most likely. Regardless, it was still a stellar, well above-average read. This one gave me the CREEPS! I'm a ...more
    Dennis
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Recommended to Dennis by: Chelsea Humphrey
    Shelves: suspense, slow-burn

Caitlin Mullen's debut novel, Please See Us is a great suspense novel that shows the decline of Atlantic City and the destruction and crime that now taken over the once popular tourist location. While the book is a marvel of a storyline, it is also very slow-pacing. If you are looking for a book to sit and relax with, Please See Us is definitely a great contender. I got lost in Clara and Lily's world of struggle; their lives were not only intriguing, but also eye-opening. While the
    Tammie
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: mystery-thriller
    Please See Us, a mystery/thriller, was a solid 4.5 star read. The book is set in Atlantic City-a deteriorating place riddled with crime and poverty and where a serial killer is dumping bodies in the swampy marshlands. In Please See Us, we meet a full cast of characters, including Lily-trying to restart her life while working in a casino spa; Clara-a young teen with true physic abilities, who makes a living reading tarot cards; Luis-a disabled janitor living in a boardinghouse; and the numerous ...more
    Sheyla ✎

Oh gosh, this book was too DEPRESSING for me. All the women seem to be doom and gloom in Atlantic City. Nowhere to run or survive. All women had to become some type of prostitute to make a living. Very sad characters indeed.

Please See Us narrates the story of a serial killer who is disposing of the bodies of his victims in the marshland behind the Sunset Motel during a summer in Atlantic City.

The "Janes" want to be found. They are all together, all alone without a voice and no one is trying
    Kendall
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
    Full review to come
    Anna Luce
    Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
    ★★★✰✰ 3 stars

There is something bad in the air and in the water now, something rotten and wrong. A moral disease.

While Please See Us gives its readers a slightly more innovative "missing women" type-of-story. Providing us with a panoramic of Atlantic City Caitlin Mullen's novel follows Clara, a young psychic, and Lily who has only recently returned to the city. Between their first-person chapters we have those of Luis, a mute and deaf janitor who works at the same spa as Lily, and those of 'the
    Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
    So rich in detail and amazing storytelling abilities!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This book is so different from the scores of other murder mystery and murder crime thrillers that are out there right now.

Rich in vivid detail, Mullen showcases her amazing storytelling ability as she intricately weaves a story that is heartbreaking yet so very addicting.

We see much of the story through the eyes of a teenage seer. We meet some of the victims and understand their lives and their desperation, sadness, and despair.

Laura Peden
    Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    If youre looking for a fast paced, action packed thriller 🤚come back to Please See Us when youre ready for something thats more atmospheric, with slow-burning character driven suspense. Gosh this was gorgeous 🤤 ok so heres the deal with this book: Its one of those stories that takes a longgg time to get going...However (sorry I just really wanted to use a pinch emoji)...the payoffs are: 1. That slow burning story build is really well done if youre in the proper mood to just kick back & soak ...more
    Lori Lamothe
    There is a sisterhood among them, these women in the marsh.

Strong Debut Novel, 4.5 stars

Clara Voyant is a skinny high-school dropout who reads tarot for a living and isn't above snatching the occasional trinket, thanks to her aunt Des's instruction in shoplifting. She longs to leave Atlantic City and set out for California, where she hopes she can reunite with the mother who abandoned her as a child. Lily Louten isn't any more enamored with the city than Clara but she has no plans to leave the
    Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
    What a fantastic book! I started it yesterday and have had a really hard time putting it down. It was so well-written, it's hard to believe it was a debut.

I cannot wait to see what else Caitlin Mullen writes. Pick up this book, you won't regret it!
    Tammy
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book is less about a serial killer, although one does exist, and more about women mistreated, violated, abused, and treated as trash to be disposed of without a thought. Victims are given voices and an impoverished, orphaned waif has visions. Another woman runs back to decaying Atlantic City to heal from male cruelty and to find the what solace she can at home. Fires burn, lives are revealed. and the powerless are preyed upon.
    Annette
    Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: books-read-2019
    This was kind of a twisted little story. There seemed to be too many characters talking in this book. At times I had a hard time following and keeping them straight. I did enjoy the story and it kept my interest. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the early copy
    Karen Rush
    Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Against the gritty backdrop of an Atlantic City that has fallen on hard times, there are dead women lying in a salt marsh behind the Sunset Motel.

Although it took me a little while to sort out characters, this slow-burner pulled me in. Mullens approach to exposing the vulnerabilities of her characters is well done. I especially loved the voices of Lily and Clara, sympathizing with these bright yet unlucky victims of circumstance. This is one of those books that I have continued to think about
    ☕️Kimberly
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The story is told from different points of view; the bulk belongs to Clara, a teenage psychic who lives with her Aunt and reads tarot cards on boards. Thanks to her Aunts habits, she is also good at cons and theft as the landlord always knocking at the door. Clara however longs to find her mother and dreams of saving enough to head to west to find her.

The other main POV is that of Lily Louten. Lily left Jersey behind for the art world and dreamed of holding shows and managing up-and-coming
    Donna Hines
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    A great new thriller involving several missing women near the northeastern new jersey region.
    Summer has come and gone. The tourists are barely seen. The boardwalks are nearly empty in Atlantic City. Yet one thing is active the crime rate and murder.
    Two women have just been found in the marshland behind the Sunset Motel and only one person knows they're there.
    A young woman trying to make ends meet as a Tarot Card Psychic is our main character and is lively and vibrant. In fact she gets
    Carlene Inspired
    I've been in mystery, suspense mood lately and Please See Us by Caitlin Mullen was right up my alley. The initial description of the crime scene reminded me so much of a crime podcast I listen to that I soon took the imagery from that real life scene and brought this one to life. It made it a touch more eerier and quite a bit more realistic, which I must admit, this book unfortunately needed.

With characters that felt two-dimensional and quite lacking personalities, Please See Us follows two main

• Little Secrets
    • The Forgotten Home Child
    • The Night Swim
    • The New Husband
    • No Bad Deed
    • Hurry Home
    • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
    • Pretty Things
    • In Her Shadow
    • The Wife Who Knew Too Much
    • Something She's Not Telling Us
    • The Companions
    Caitlin Mullen earned a BA in English and Creative Writing from Colgate University, an MA in English from NYU, and an MFA in fiction from Stony Brook University. While at Stony Brook she taught undergraduate creative writing, served as an editor and contributing writer for The Southampton Review, and worked as a bookseller at WORD in Greenpoint. She grew up in upstate New York and the Jersey Shore ...more