Start by marking “Muted” as Want to Read:
Muted

Muted

A ripped-from-the-headlines novel of ambition, music, and innocence lost, perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo and Jason Reynolds!
Be bold. Get seen. Be Heard.

For seventeen-year-old Denver, music is everything. Writing, performing, and her ultimate goal: escaping her very small, very white hometown.

So Denver is more than ready on the day she and her best friends Dali and S
Kindle Edition
Published February 2nd 2021 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Muted, please sign up.
Anya Denver and her family are Haitian and they are Black. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is #ownvoices, but I have read that the author has sai…moreDenver and her family are Haitian and they are Black. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is #ownvoices, but I have read that the author has said it is based closely on her own experiences. I do believe Tami Charles' family is from somewhere in the Caribbean but I'm not sure if they are Haitian or not. Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of Muted
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
I just didn't vibe well with the writing. Okay, story in verse. It's fine as long as it tells a good story. What's more, it's fun to read a story in this format.

But for this one, I feel the writing was trying too hard. And I just couldn't like any of the characters, especially the main character from whose point of view which the story is being narrated.

Trigger warnings for assault.

However, I would say it wasn't handled properly. Moreover because of the way how the characters perceived it and t
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
What a fantastic book to start my year off with! I devoured it in a day... I typically don't care for books written in verse, but it just WORKED in this novel. I absolutely loved it.

Do yourself a favor and mark your calendars for February 2nd and pick up this book. You will not be disappointed.

5 huge stars! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Michelle
This is my first time reading a book in verse. I had previously listened to Clap When You Land, so I'm happy to have both experiences under my belt. I think both have something to offer in terms of strengths over the other, but I believe I will choose to listen to novels that are written this way in the future. I realize this has nothing to do with the book itself (more the format), but wanted to include it in the event it will help you decide how to consume this book!

Before I get into my review
Vicky Again
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I'm honestly speechless.

The ending hit me so hard. I don't know what to say. At some point while reading MUTED, you just end up reading as quickly as possible, speeding through the verse in quest of what's going to happen to Denver & Dalisay.

(Also. It's queer. Denver is a lesbian. I'm kind of mad no one shouted about this because Denver is in love with her best friend and they have an entire code word to say "I love you" to each other and y'all just stayed quiet about this???)

MUTED is bot
Oyinda
Oh. My. God.

What did I just read?

*book 46 of 2021

Oh my God oh my God oh my God

Wow. Denver, olive juice. Olive juice forever 😭😭😭 I am so sad and wow, I can't even.

Many cheers to anticipated reads that meet and surpass our expectations. I saw this book on Bookstagram and immediately after reading the blurb, I thought of *that book*, which a lot of people have also compared Muted with. *that book* is actually a fave of mine and I was really curious to read Muted and after finding it was a novel-in-
Darla
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, verse
Be careful what you wish for. Denver and her two besties have a dream of becoming the next Destiny's Child. They hatch a plan to play their demo for Sean "Mercury" Ellis (Merc) when he performs in a concert near their home. A rollercoaster ride begins as the three are invited to sing their original songs in Merc's recording studio -- with his name on the credits. Told in verse, this new release shows the shadowy side of the music business and how fame may not be all its cracked up to be. The for ...more
Avery Silverberg
Thank you Scholastic for the free ARC!

OH MY GOD, how can one book be so beautiful and tragic at the same time? If you loved Tiffany Jackson's GROWN, along with Elizabeth Acevedo's THE POET X - this one's for you. I'm so thankful this was a novel in verse. Not only was it so well written, but it also made the EXTREMELY dark subject matter much easier to get through. I also really appreciate how self-aware and mature our protagonist Denver is; she is somewhat spectacle of the R Kelly archetype in
Calyssa
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-favs
oh my god
Bek MoonyReadsByStarlight
4.5 stars. This book was not what I was expecting, but not in a bad way. I knew that it would tackle some tough issues, but as the story progressed, it became a thriller (or horror, perhaps used loosely -- I'm not the arbiter of genres). But, it was a complex story. It wasn't just one person's rise to fame or anything, it also dealt with friends and family and sexuality, and some deep evils that actually exist in this world. (I have some thoughts -- I don't think they're really spoiler-ey but it ...more
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Unfortunately, when a book comes out months after a previously released book, with the same premise, debuts, readers will unfairly compare them. As a reader, I'm not immune to this action. While I recommend this book, as it has its merits, I'm not as fond of it as the previously released book (which I won't name).

Why? As I read, the story felt diluted. If you're going to "go there" with a topic, don't sugarcoat your writing. Reach the heights the story deserves.

3/5
M.  [storme reads a lot]
This book is phenomenal. I’m so thankful to be part of the blog tour and share something special with y’all soon!
Laura Gardner
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 oh my God that ending was SO incredible and I couldn’t put this down all day STARS. Awesome readalike to Grown by Tiffany Jackson. Denver is a fabulous protagonist and I can’t wait for everyone to read this when it comes out on February 2. LOVE the title and the idea of muting all the monsters. And the cover!!!!

I am struggling w the age recommendation. Scholastic and Kirkus both say ages 12+. I would say 13 or 14 as a minimum. Drinking, drugs, abuse, rape all mentioned, although not as explici
leo(neil)
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CHECK OUT MY BLOG

my thoughts
once upon a time, there were three girls with voices of gold, most of them were bold, and ventured into a world both familiar and strange. among the girls was denver lafleur, whose musical roots began as a child, her father a great influence. the story follows denver and her friends, their beginning and their ending, and everything that happened in between.

originally, i was planning on just promoting the book, because i thought i wouldn’t finish reading it on time. he
Celia McMahon
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review.

For 2021, I vowed to step outside of my comfort zone and experience new genres, new authors, and expand my literary prowess. I vow a lot of things that I never get around to doing. But I succeeded so far this year.

Told in verse, MUTED follows seventeen-year-old Denver who wants nothing more than to make it big in the music industry. When she and her two friends take a chance in exposing themselves to a legendary R&B singer, they quickly f
Cassandra Celia
This was so incredibly powerful. That ending was a punch in the gut.
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Oh my gawd this book is phenomenal. Written completely in verse, I haven’t read anything like this in a long time. I just finished and am sitting here blown away by this story, which is inspired by real events, which is just amazing. It is the story of Denver, Dali, and Shak, three high school friends who have a dream of making it big and singing together, with Denver leading the way as the writer for their songs. She gets them together and they sing their way into the sights of one of the bigge ...more
Jackie (readingwordsmith)
Thank you to Scholastic Press for the free ARC copy of Muted. Before diving into my review, please note that it is based on my opinion of the book. As you consider my thoughts, remember that you are allowed to have different feelings about this book. I was sent a free copy by the publisher Scholastic Press as an early review copy, however, that does not affect or influence my review of the book. If you haven't read it yet, feel free to pick up a copy and form your own opinion on it.

Synopsis:
Mut
Jo Ladzinski
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-libro-fm
Listened to the audiobook
Content warnings: abuse (physical, sexual, mental), kidnapping, gaslighting, manipulation, abuse, forced dieting and weight loss, homophobia, sexual assault

A dream turns into a nightmare as Denver sees an opportunity to get into the R&B industry through superstar Sean “Mercury” Ellis. It starts off with the lavish trappings of fame like parties and studio time, but devolves into manipulation and abuse as Merc tries to stamp out Denver’s voice, while also showing the ways
Taylor
Book 12 of 2021: 4 out of 5 Stars

description

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘰 I Read YA & the author 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 an advanced physical copy 𝘪𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸.

"...𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐀𝐅. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐧 𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐛𝐭𝐬."

Written in verse and interspersed with lyrics, texts, emails, & news articles, 𝐌𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐝 is a poetic and potent contemporary with a powerful message that demands to be heard.

Inspired by real-life events, this music-infused story is centered on a trio of teenaged girls that are tak
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
Thanks to Scholastic for sending me an ARC of this to review! I will say, the premise reminded me a lot of Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson. But both authors take different approaches, making each of these stories their own. Muted is a novel in verse, and this is where this story excels. The format of the verse works well in portraying Denver's story.

First of all, this book has a great, diverse cast, both in race and sexuality. There was nothing about the characters in this book being LGBTQ, but Denv
Anya
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, lgbtq, arc, young-adult, verse
Content warnings: (view spoiler)

I knew before I was even a quarter of the way through this book that it was going to be 5 stars. The writing just hit me in a way that I knew this story would knock me on my ass, and by the end, I was a wreck.

One of my favorite things about novels in verse is that when they are done well, they are done SO WELL
oohlalabooks
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Wow this book is beautifully written in verse and yet it’s heartbreaking. I’m sure it’s every young fan/artist’s dream when you see your favorite singer in concert, you go back stage ask for a picture, a signature or if you’re like Denver you sing your song hoping it’s good enough for a recording contract. Seventeen year old Denver and her friends, Dali and Shak, meet Sean “Mercury” Ellis one of the biggest R&B singer. Merc gives them parties, perks, and the glam but all for a cost that’s unbekn ...more
Ericka
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2/10/2021 Man oh man. Review to come. I am unwell.

2/12/2021 I think I need to say that I read this book in under 24 hours. Thats including me sleeping, commuting to work, working the full day, and everything in between. THAT’S how captivating this book is.

Denver Lafleur wants to pursue her dreams of being a singer. Her ambitions push her and her friends to seek out the help and attention from a music mogul Sean "Mercury" Ellis. Merc gives them everything: money, perks, and the studio time they’v
Kelly
I was enjoying this one well enough until the end, when it took a turn that made me really appreciate the choices Charles made. They weren't easy ones, but the book was made stronger for them.

Pair this novel in verse with Grown, as both follow young girls of color desperate to make it in the music industry but who are manipulated and taken advantage of by older men.
Kyra Johnson
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
Once upon a time,
the gray-eyed monster
kissed his prey
in the still of the night,
not knowing
that come morning,
that one kiss
would birth another monster
far more powerful,
its fangs and claws dripping with
honey-coated venom.

Denver is a young, aspiring musician in a three-girl singing group. On their way to stardom, the girls fall into orbit with a music executive, Merc, who promises to make their dreams come true but turns out to be a manipulative monster. Tired of being abused and taken adv
Dallas Strawn
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Muted. This was a tough read; very hard to swallow. I’m not a big fan of books in verse, but it did work pretty well in this story, although there were several times in the book where I was just begging for more detail and dialogue. It needed more to the narrative imo.

And it has to be said that this is a lesser quality version of Tiffany Jackson’s masterpiece Grown. I think if I had not read Grown I would have loved this a lot more....but the plot here is like 65% the same (of
Abigail Singrey
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“And I’m sorry, Papi.
For lying. For leaving.
But not for the music.”

Wow! This book rips your heart out and stomps on it.

Denver has big dreams of making it in the R&B world with her three-girl singing group. So when the King of R&B is playing nearby, she thinks it’s her chance. She may be in a crowd of hundreds of girls clambering to get his attention, but she and her friends are the only ones singing.

When a backstage invite leads to an invitation to record, Denver and Dalisay are over the moon.
Thindbooks
*This arc was sent to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

TW: sexual assault, rape, and sexual abuse
This was a good book written in verse form. It's about Denver and her friends who sing their way to a famous singer's life which is their dream until Denver releases she is stuck. Learn how Denver fights back and finds her voice. I loved how this book was written in verse form because it's usually not the format I read since most books aren't written like this. It was the autho
Jan 16, 2021 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Lana
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OHMYGOD I’M SOBBING THE ENDING BROKE MY HEART. I read this as an audiobook and it was AMAZING. It was read by the author and it added so much to the listening experience. I don’t even know what else to write, other than that this is an important book, with important themes that everyone should read.
**If you decide to read this, please be aware of Trigger Warnings: sexual assault, manipulation, gaslighting.**
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• When You Look Like Us
  • Roman and Jewel
  • Love Is a Revolution
  • One of the Good Ones
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • Down Comes the Night
  • Happily Ever Afters
  • The Electric Kingdom
  • One Carefree Day
  • Perfect on Paper
  • The Awakening of Malcolm X
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)

Articles featuring this book

Happy Black History Month! Literary fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, fantasy, sci-fi, short stories, and young adult novels: This...