Start by marking “Clementine (Clementine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clementine (Clementine, #1)

(Clementine #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  18,752 ratings  ·  1,865 reviews

Clementine is having not so good of a week.

-On Monday she's sent to the principals office for cutting off Margarets hair.
- Tuesday, Margaret's mother is mad at her.
- Wednesday, she's sent to the principal... again.
- Thursday, Margaret stops speaking to her.
- Friday starts with yucky eggs and gets worse.
- And by Saturday, even her mother is mad at her.

Okay, fine.

Published September 15th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Clementine, please sign up.
Jill Fountas and Pinnell levels this book at an O - approximately 34 on the DRA scale.…moreFountas and Pinnell levels this book at an O - approximately 34 on the DRA scale. (less)

·  18,752 ratings  ·  1,865 reviews

Start your review of Clementine (Clementine, #1)
Manybooks
While I find Sara Pennypacker's Clementine fun and endearing as a literary character, I am also finding her somewhat spoiled and a bit too rambunctious (but then again, maybe my frustration is also a bit of displaced jealousy, as I would never have dared to be that spunky and spontaneous as a child). That all being said, I do think that Clementine absolutely needs some parental rules, maybe not as many as her friend Margaret seems to have, but still, I firmly believe her parents are more than a ...more
Jessica Mitchell
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Idiots
Recommended to Jessica by: Syriah (Friend)
Jessica Mitchell, 11
3 stars

Hmm, this seems like a book i'd pick up if i were waiting for something and didn't have anything to do, or if i forgot my book at home and had to get something from the library to read after the test. Fast. Like, 'if i don't get a book now i'll die' fast.
I felt like it wasn't original. Here's my equation:
Junie B. Jones+Lucy Rose+Ivy and Bean=Clementine. All of the book series I just listed had really ignorant protagonists. When i finished this book, I
Kristie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun and cute little book. I listened to the Audible edition with my grandson and he would ask to put it on every time we got in the car. As soon as it was finished, he asked if we could listen to it again. I'll certainly be looking for more books in the series and by this author.

Update: We finished every book in the series, except one, over the summer. My grandson and I both enjoyed every book. Great series!

Series:
The Talented Clementine
Clementine's Letter
Lucy
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Let me introduce you to Clementine.

"I have had not so good of a week.

Well, Monday was a pretty food day, if you don't count Hamburguer Surprise at lunch and Margaret's mother coming to get her. Or the stuff that happened in the principal's office when I got sent there to explain that Margaret's hair was not my fault and besides she looks okay without it, but I couldn't, because Principal Rice was gone, trying to calm down Margaret's mother.

Someone should tell you not to answer the phone in the
Angelc
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic read for kids and fun for adults, too. Clementine is a riot, I love her thoughts on what paying attention means, or rather what she chooses to pay attention to. The illustrations are so detailed but simple at the same time. I love the contrasts in the drawings between disshevelled, artistic Clementine and her perfectionist best friend. Great read!!

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/
Susan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Made me smile!
Brenda
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"The secret thing I know about ideas is that they sproing into your head you have to grab them fast, or else they get bored and bounce away." This describes Clementine to a tea. Clementine has lots of ideas, some which get her sent to the principals office and others that land her and her friend Margaret into a bad haircut and coloring to match. The author does a very nice job with Clementines voice and the reader really gets a feel for a third graders thought patterns. The illustrations are ...more
Christina
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
So...I had heard some good things about this book and bought it for Mike to read with Ava and the kids on a vacation they went on together. I started about a third the way through and was disappointed. Her attitude is very whiney and negative, and she does things that are appropriate for a preschooler maybe, but certainly not an 8 year old. I guess I'm more of a "Pollyanna" type of mom when it comes to reading with my girl! I want strong girl characters, ones who inspire healthy characteristics, ...more
Mir
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ramona Quimby
Shelves: younger, realism
Ramona Quimby-ish misadventures of a well-intentioned quirky girl.
Patricia
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Clementine might want to reconsider claiming that she has arthritis---she just might get her wish, thus joining over 300,000 children--including babies-- who have the dreadfully painful and debilitating disease in real life. It is a horrible, horrible, horrible disease. I know my now ten year old daughter has been fighting it since she was a baby. Her fight has included countless medical tests, blood work, shots of chemotherapy drugs, countless pills taken several times a day, physical therapy, ...more
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't even read this. My second grader tore through it before we could read it together. The first chapter book she read cover to cover on her own.
unknown
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read aloud at some point this year. I endorse the whole series.
One Code 431
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know what to say about this book . i found clementine quite nice and frustrating at the same time. She is 8 year's old but behave like 5 . and her leck of concentration i think is a huge problem . i kinda felt her parents were quit ignorant of her behaviors too. Overall 3 stars read for me.
Shauna
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yes, a five star rating!
I was laughing aloud as I read this to Coco last night. This morning I was reading more to her over some Cheerios, and Brent started laughing, the older children tumbled into the kitchen for breakfast and asked about the book, so I read them some funny parts. We ended up starting over and we read the book all the way to the end.

There is nothing earth shattering, no real bits of wisdom, not even a surprise ending in the book. . . but it had my entire family sitting
Liz
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't say that I've previously had a favorite early chapter book, but Clementine is now my favorite. Clementine is a smart, independent eight-year-old, and I just adored her. I loved that she was daring but also sensitive to other people in her life.

A small detail in this book I really liked is the implication that Clementine's family may have been more lower middle class. It's not something you tend to see discussed in a lot of middle grade, but I loved how Clementine found herself comparing
Sarah Maddaford
Clementine is just like every child that doesn't quite fit into the school system. She is so similar to me that it almost hurt to read some parts. My little sister was the easy one too. I had anger management problems, attention problems, and problems with other kids including sharing. I did all sorts of things in school that could be considered as bad or worse than cutting a friend's hair, but only got sent to the principal's once.

This book does a really good job of showing that parents can
Tricia Douglas
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved Clementine - what a wonderful child! I'm surprised I haven't read this book before. And I see that I have two more books in this series on my shelf. Clementine definitely reminds me of Cleary's Romona Quimby, but I like Clementine even more, I think. Since I taught third grade - gifted children, no less - I can just imagine her precociousness and her brilliance. These are the kinds of children that were in my classroom. No, no one cut another kid's hair, but everyday was just as fun and ...more
Dolly
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This was a fun book to read. It was witty, silly, and had elements of both Ramona and Junie B. Jones. We laughed out loud many times during this story and we really grew to like spunky Clementine. I hope to find more books in this series at our local library.

November 2013 update: I volunteered to lead a book club discussion for our youngest daughter's third grade class and this was the book they chose. I enjoyed reading it for a second time and I am excited to hear what the other children have
Marisa
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction
I love Clementine! She's creative and unique with a strong moral compass. I'd be really happy for Harper to read Clementine books when the time comes. The last chapter made me think about Callie -- I teared up on the youth desk (which isn't nearly as embarrassing as tearing up on the teen desk).

"I held him up to my cheek and told him his name and he started to purr, which filled up a space in my ears that had been empty since Polka died."
Maya A
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes, okay, this is a skinny little elementary-grade book that a children's section of the library veteran like me should not be picking up at this point in my life. But I was bored, and there it was at home, and once I started reading I really enjoyed the story. This is a beginning chapter book that does not treat kids like idiots. So, bravo for that.
Russell
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kids
My kids don't read many modern books (if it's younger than me, it's not on the list), but this was perfect for my little one who thinks differently than most people. If you have an ordinary kid, it's probably not for you. However, if half the things out of their mouth are non-sequiturs*, then check this book out.

* They're not really non sequiturs, you just don't get the sequence.
Kristin
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first audiobook experience, and I enjoyed it tremendously! I sat still the whole time, and I didn't even get itchy or swell up or anything! Jessica Almasy's narration of Sara Pennypacker's lively book brought Clementine to life, and she was delightful. Especially with green hair.
Natalie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Kids that love Junie B. Jones will eat this series up. Clementine is a unique little girl that gets into worlds of trouble. All the time. It was cute, but not my favorite. I don't particularly enjoy stories about trouble makers. As a teacher, I just don't find it that amusing.

3rd/4th BOB
Crystal
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Very fun Ramona type character that lands in one scrape after another.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. This book is a third grade Junie B Jones. It takes less than an hour to read and it very funny. Love it!
Bethany
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another read for Battle of the Books; this one made my son and I's top three. We liked this Clementine girl and her out-of-the-box outlook on life. I love that her parents get her.
Kathy
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
This is a fun book. Aimed at I would guess a 3rd grade reading level. A Junie B Jones/Ramona the Pest kind of book. Laugh out loud funny.
Emily
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was weird.
Gabe
So, that was adorable.
Steve Shilstone
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Delightful. First person narrative voice of Clementine is terrific.
Children's Books: January 2015 Fiction Pick - Clementine 37 61 Feb 10, 2015 03:49AM
clemntine 8 46 Jan 18, 2015 07:11AM

• Mikis and the Donkey
  • Ivy and Bean
  • The Year of Billy Miller
  • The Moon Over Star
  • Judy Moody was in a Mood. Not a Good Mood. A Bad Mood. (Judy Moody #1)
  • Reaching for the Moon
  • Goin' Someplace Special
  • Herman and Rosie
  • Home in the Rain
  • Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin
  • Julius, the Baby of the World
  • Chester's Way
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Invisible Inkling
  • Daddy, Papa, and Me
  • Doctor De Soto
  • The Three Pickled Herrings (Wings & Co, #2)
  • Blizzard

Clementine (7 books)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • Clementine and the Spring Trip (Clementine, #6)
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)