Start by marking “Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities” as Want to Read:
Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities

Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities

For psychotherapy students, teachers, and practitioners, this book describes the clinical application of the growing body of ideas and practices that has come to be known as narrative therapy. Clear and compelling demonstrations of narrative therapy practice, rich in case examples and creative strategies, are at the heart of this book.
Published March 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton Company (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Narrative Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Narrative Therapy

Start your review of Narrative Therapy: The Social Construction of Preferred Realities
Sarah Evan
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, therapy
so far I appreciate the added perspective of social/de-constructivism as well as case vignettes with an exploration of the therapists' potential social powers s/he may not have been aware of. it is good to read while also reading white and epston's *narrative means to theraputic ends* to see another version and, why white and epston's is the true essence of the modality, and freedman and combs' their own version with added aforementioned additions.
Chris
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books on therapy, and of course especially narrative therapy. It's very readable as an introduction but also has a lot of detail in it to help develop skills if you already know the model. Very approachable.
Jeff Falzone
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best books on the subject. It's phenomenally practical for those who are trying to learn or improve their skills in this domain of therapy, yet it also gets the core post-structural ideas across in a very clear manner.

This is an excellent place to start your adventure into this heady yet deeply compassionate form of therapy.
Shana
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been slowly re-reading the required texts from my Masters program, and this book was part of this journey. Originally, I read parts of it for a theory class (I think?) but now that I have actual therapy experience under my belt, I found it far more useful. It is straightforward and provides a good basic understanding of what makes narrative therapy unique. It also makes the same assumptions that many other therapy texts do, which is to assume the reader (likely a therapist) comes from a p ...more
l.
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s hard to read this type of thing tbh. I’m done lol.
Janet Ferguson
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book to start with if interested in narrative therapy. A very solid overview. Next, read White and Epston's book for more theory.
A
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The authors take us through the development of narrative therapy conceptually and practically. An engrossing, essential work.
Larry Albrecht
Jan 18, 2016
Alberto
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2015
Sheikh Tajamul
Mar 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends
  • Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2)
  • The Subtweet
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients
  • Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
  • You Exist Too Much
  • Real Life
  • Franny and Zooey
  • Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing an Art Form
  • Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice
  • Tao Te Ching
  • Cheryl: My Story
  • Mein Kampf
  • The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
  • Becoming Solution-Focused in Brief Therapy
Jill Freedman, MSW and Gene Combs, MD are Co-Directors of Evanston Family Therapy Center, as well as founding members of the Chicago Center for Family Health.

Librarian's note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

News & Interviews