Start by marking “Christmas Around the World” as Want to Read:
Christmas Around the World

Christmas Around the World

A holiday celebration of diversity!

From Ethiopian fringed umbrellas and star-shaped Filipino parol lanterns to candlelit Swedish St. Lucia crowns, Christmas Around the World brings together Christmas traditions from twelve different lands, like decorations on a splendid tree.

"A visually attractive and thoughtful presentation for those seasonal school assignments," praised
Published October 19th 1998 by Collins (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Around the World

Manybooks
While the general set-up of Mary D. Lankford's Christmas Around the World sure does look tempting enough and actually even massively so (twelve featured countries from diverse areas of the world, accompanied by Karen Dugan's colourfully enchanting full page illustrative spreads, and with back materials that include a section by Irene Norman on a number of Christmas-based crafts, as well as glossaries, pronunciation guides and a nicely detailed bibliography), I am sorry, but the rather annoying n ...more
Mark
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shallowly researched (apparently, Canada is the largest country in the world). Little actual info about Christmas traditions padded with general history and geography cribbed from the encyclopedia and inflated with excessive use of the passive voice.
Nikki
We started this book too late & the amount of information in it stopped us from finishing it this year but I'll plan to check it out again in the future. It is fun and interesting to read about the different winter holidays/christmas traditions in different countries around the world!
Emily
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Best for older children. Includes Christmas crafts.
Tam
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a book for older children. I thought it was perfect to read with my 8-year-old to teach him about Christmas around the world.

It begins with a brief "Christmas Chronology" that starts with 6 BC being the approximate date for the birth of Jesus and ends with 1962 when the first Christmas postage stamp was issued.

It talks about the traditions in the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ethiopia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Guatemala, Italy, Mexico, Philippines, and Sweden. It also ta
Shamilah Gillani
“Christmas Around the World” by Mary D. Lankford and illustrated by Karen Dugan and Irene Norman is a classroom staple during Christmas time. The authors and illustrators did a terrific job of compiling the Christmas stories and going through the traditions that most families observe in many countries and putting them into one book. The book begins with a Christmas timeline which gives a basic overview the history of Christmas and some important Christmas-related events that have become a part o ...more
Latifa Awad
Genre: Informational, Non- fiction

Christmas around the World begins by explaining the beginning of Christmas and the way it celebrated around the world. The different countries described in the book include: Australia, Canada, Ethiopia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Guatemala, Italy, Mexico, Philippines, and Sweden. Displaying such a variety of countries and cultures revolving around the same Holiday, makes this book a great source for teaching about multicultural and celebrations around the
Katherine Moses
Christmas Around the World looks at the Christmas traditions in 12 countries all over the world. This book would be considered non-fiction.

This book gives a good, short overview of the Christmas traditions for each country. It is very appropriate. The book can be read a country at a time. The book includes vocabulary, crafts and song the children can use during the unit.

The author included symbols, greetings, and weather for each country. It will be easy for the children to compare different Chr
Eva Kelly
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to get this one even though Julie [librarian] said it might be too hard, and she was right. It WAS too hard with more words than anything. But when Mama read it to me it had good facts. Like all the stuff about Christmas in Australia which is where they have kangaroos and bandicoots. But they didn't have anything about them in here because this is a Christmas book, not an animal book.
I couldn't read it so I need to get it out again when I'm in seventh grade.
Natalie Flanagan
I had the opportunity to read this book to a 5th grade classroom and they seem to love this book! I love how you were able to learn about 12 other centuries Christmas traditions. It was very interesting to be able to see how others celebrate Christmas.
Faith Hough
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
We really liked the content and format of this book, but wished a few more countries' traditions had been included.
Doree Burt
This is a fun exploration of Christmas around the world. There's a pronunciation guide, which I love, and some cool historical and craft stuff. Twelve countries are explored.
D
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
An especially delightful book that enabled me to teach my young children how Christmas is celebrated differently in other countries:)
Jan
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been reading this out loud to my four boys at breakfast. Each morning one boy chooses a country and we explore their Christmas traditions. It has been quite a fun journey.
Ciara
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this around Christmas time. A nice little book with interesting facts and a good insight into the different ways Christmas is celebrated.
Melanie
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I liked the explanations that were provided about Christmas in a small variety of different countries.
IVORYE V. WILLIAMS RIESTERER
rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2015