Start by marking “Classical Mythology: Images and Insights” as Want to Read:
Classical Mythology: Images and Insights

Classical Mythology: Images and Insights

Comprehensive and beautifully illustrated, this is the only classical mythology text that combines thorough coverage of theoretical approaches to myth with a substantial anthology of primary works. More than 700 pages of primary selections, many of them complete works, include major hymns, epics, and plays of classical myth, while more than 200 photographs of classical wor ...more
Published July 16th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Mythology

Start your review of Classical Mythology: Images and Insights
Kori ☾
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, mythology
It is rare that I finish a text book because I find most textbooks dull. This one wasn't too bad, my main issue with this textbook is that it doesn't ease you into anything, it just jumps right in. Also, certain chapters should be rearrange so that the transitions are smooth.
Anya Nielsen
Classical Mythology – Insights & Images

by Stephen L. Harris and Gloria Platzner

Third Edition published 2001 by Mayfield Publishing Company Mountain View California, London, Toronto ISBN 0 7674 1549 3

Designed for undergraduate students. Abundantly illustrated with examples of architecture, sculpture and paintings. It includes a great amount of primary material as one would expect from a text book. Easy to read translations of classical narrative poems and epic Greek plays written by Homer, Virgil
Maddie
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-roman-myth
I went into my Greek and Roman myth class (that used this book) knowing nothing, but I learned SO much by the end—mostly thanks to this book. It’s not very well organized (the worst was random anachronistic tangents in every chapter) but I still learned a lot, and that’s what counts!
David
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth
This work thoroughly explores the fundamentals of Grecco-Roman mythology, presenting the facts on the writers and the cultural details as well as venturing the various psychological interpretations on these myths. This is not a work of psychology and nor is it a dry commentary on the "entertaining superstitions of primitive peoples" which tends to be the norm among school textbook studies on the subject. This work instead shows an exquisite balance of historical, artistic (countless photographs ...more
Mark
This was the text for my Fall 2011 Classical Literature and Mythology class.

It is a decent text, which uses (mostly) complete classical works along with the authors' analyses and interpretations. The authors do make use of a couple different kinds of analysis throughout but they are distinctly biased towards feminist interpretations. I am not saying that that is a bad thing--in fact, it is a much needed correction to years and years of classical/myth scholarship--but they sometimes just go a bit
Amdany
An interesting read
My class touches strictly on the Greek myths; the reader will find that Hesoid and Homer are discussed sufficiently for most needs. A reader looking for a broader take should be pleased with both the Roman exceprts and the more contemporary interpretations (Auden, Boland) drawing on these myths. The post-colonial crowd may take umbrage at the lack of "diversity" but this book contains enough for an undergraduate needing a firm understanding of Greek myth, whether it be for co
Xilks
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was assigned for a class that didn't even really reference the book at all. I tried reading it on my own but never got very far. But, what of it I did read it was pretty interesting, but a little dry as most serious-business books are. If you're hard core into mythology, I would recommend this for but, if not, only a casual reader-this is probably not for you.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nicely informative with great reading selections. In fact, the primary works included are the true beauty of this book. You'll go beyond Homer (though his work is there, too) and read Hesiod, Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Ovid, Virgil, and some less-known works -- with the convenience of it all in one volume. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in Classical mythology.
Nikki
Yes, I'm reading a thousand-page textbook. But it's well written, and I feel like it's time to get an in-depth study of myth rather than just little bits here and there from Bulfinch or from "encyclopedias" of mythology. What I like about this one is it has Homer and Hesiod and Sophocles and all those in their entirety, so I can read the original texts as well as the modern-day explanations.
Brianne
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mythology
If you are at all interested in classical mythology, this is the book to read first. It has everything (including Roman mythology and all the plays you could want) and it presents it in a clear and readable way. We didn't read all of the chapters for class, but I'm going to go through and read them just for fun!
Sam Grace
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really the best book of Classical Mythology I've ever read. EVERYTHING you want to know about the world of Greek myths. It's written for adults, not children, however, and adults with an inquiring mind though not necessarily an academic background. If you have an academic background, this is still a great reference book.
Brent
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research, classics
This is one of only five "textbooks" that I kept from college. Harris and his colleagues have done a wonderful job anthologizing a huge swath of Greek and Roman myths. Top-tier translations are interspersed with insightful and varied analysis that provides important context for these works.
Cherrie
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for teaching. It is full of art and has several excerpts from the major mythology works (Odyssey, Metamorphosis, Aeneid, Hesiod....). It's an easy read and very well structured. I highly recommend this book to any teacher or lover of mythology.
Mackenzie
the author is totally sexist -.-
Araminta Matthews
Not my first foray into mythology, but I'm on a bit of a spiritual quest at the moment.
Micaelyn
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most informative and comprehensive collections/dissertations on Greek myth - very engaging and accessible.
Dean
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the text book I used for teaching. I think it is well organized and easier to comprehend than some of the other options.
Loo
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Very good presentation. It grouped myths according to themes, making the study of mythology more comprehensible and applicable. The writing was intriguing and enjoyable.
Andy

• The Study of Orchestration
  • Materials and Techniques of Post Tonal Music
  • The Obituary Writer
  • Short Stories in German for Beginners
  • German Short Stories For Beginners: 20 Captivating Short Stories To Learn German & Grow Your Vocabulary The Fun Way! (Easy German Stories)
  • Music in Theory and Practice Volume 1
  • She-ology: The Definitive Guide to Women's Intimate Health. Period.
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • Words of Radiance, Part 2 (The Stormlight Archive #2, Part 2 of 2)
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • হাজার বছর ধরে
  • কবর
  • পুতুলনাচের ইতিকথা
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

News & Interviews