Start by marking “Silence in the Shadows (Black Winter #4)” as Want to Read:
Silence in the Shadows (Black Winter #4)

Silence in the Shadows

(Black Winter #4)

The stark world continues to change. Each passing day twists it further, pushing the surviving humans closer to the brink of extinction. But, for the first time, there is hope.

Kindle Edition
Published October 6th 2020 by Black Owl Books

Start your review of Silence in the Shadows (Black Winter #4)
Dana Halek Damato
This is the final book in the Black Winter series. The genre is dystopian/horror/fiction. Even though I didn't read the first three books, it wasn't hard to follow the story and understand what was going on. Because this was so good, I would highly recommend reading the series from the start.
The world has become a harsh place and humanity is close to extinction, but hope is alive in a secret, well hidden research facility.
The Hollows are dangerous mutations of humans and must be destroyed so
Donna Hines
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
What happens when your home that was once a sanctuary becomes a trap?
The stark winds continue to blow with the hollow earth grounds crumbling, humanity needs more refuges (safe zones for harvesting food, and the manor seems to be the last hope.
Darcy Coates creates a dystopian novel full of intrigue, suspense, and mystery using Silence in the Shadows as the final draw for Black Winter series.
I've only read one other novel by Coates but she's quickly become a favorite of mine in this fantasy genre
NicholeReadsWithCats
So excited to get my physical copy in the mail!

Where to start without giving anything away? Silence in the Shadows is an excellent conclusion to the Black Winter series.

We return with Clare and Dorran and follow their struggle to return to what has become home amid the silence. Unfortunately for them all is not as it seems upon their arrival. Some parts of this I could totally see coming but it actually helped build the suspense as I wondered how they would respond to the approaching danger.

I
Manda Margaret
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleyarc
I typically love Dary Coates books, however, when I started the Black Winter series I had no idea what I was getting into. I thought it would be similar to her other haunted house stories full of ghosts and evil spirits but boy was I wrong. This dystopian series is incredibly strange, but it really sucks you in. You just keep reading because you have to discover what is going on. Silence in the Shadows wraps up the story of Clare and Dorran and their fight against the Hollow ones. In this novel, ...more
Susan Hampson
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
This is book four and the final part of this awesome series. Clare and Dorran have said their goodbyes to newly made friends and are setting off back towards Winterbourne Hall. They decide that they could do with a few essential supplies to see them through their first few weeks until the crops are restored back to health.

The journey should be easier this time around but they will encounter more than their fair share of dangers on the road home from hollows and survivors alike. Every encounter
Mary Harmon
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perfect ending

Another roller coaster read. Scary, sad, hopeful, and totally engaging. I loved this series. The characters were well written and believable. The story line was so engrossing that I didnt want to put it down. I am going to miss Clare and Dorran.
K
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Disappointing end for the most part as Clare is still an utter moron. Seriously, the world goes to sh** and she still thinks strangers are inherently good. Dorran is a bit of an Edward Cullen type: Oh Clare as long as you are safe. I must protect you! Both of them put others at risk because they can't focus on the task at hand due to having to be all up in each other all the time.
Heather Furnas
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: left-reviews
Excuse me while I finish crying my eyes out from how emotional the ending made me feel.

I have to say this over and over again but Darcy Coates is one of my FAVORITE writers and this series is why. Most of her books are about ghosts and book of the Black Winter started to seem the same but Darcy took a different spin and took similar monsters she writes about and makes it into an apocalypse.

I don't know which book is my favorite but all I can say is Book 4 was UHMAZING. (There are some spoilers
Tanya
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: darcy-coates
The thrilling and final instalment the conclusion to the black winter series. Picking up from the previous book Clare and Dorran have left the Evandale compound the scientists now with the code can create a cure, Clare and Dorran make their way back to Winterbourne Manor but it's not an easy journey back home still facing the dangers of the Hollows, but humans can be just as deadly as the hollows. They discover a bigger and more dangerous Hollow that feeds on other hollows. When they get back ...more
Cristy Bramhall
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Clare and Dorran have set their sights on returning home to Winterbourne Hall. It's a daunting journey, but vital. Humanity needs more refugessafe areas where food can be grown without attracting the attention of the hollow onesand the old gothic manor is their best bet.

But their home is no longer a sanctuary. Its become
Cindi
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Net Galley for providing a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.

I recognized the author's name, and I believe I have read of her books by her, but I had not read the previous books in this series. I know she is a popular author with high ratings for her books, but I didn't love this book. I'm not sure if it was the writing style, or coming to the series on the last book. I didn't really care for the characters, Clare seemed to be a bit
Krista (A Crease In The Spine Book Reviews)
This is the final book in the Black Winter series. The genre is dystopian/horror/fiction.I didn't read the first three books but I understood what was going on. This was a very good story and if the other two books in the series was anything like this one then this is a great series. I suggest reading the other two first though.

I have to say I absolutely adored Silence in the Shadows. I loved the writing and the characters were well developed but i found at times that the two main characters
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
This was a satisfying conclusion! I enjoyed reading it a lot. Only took about three hours for me to get through the whole thing.

Not much to be said that I didn't cover in the previous three reviews. Interesting story with good characters, a really sweet relationship, lots of action, and a narrower focus that allows for character development and more realistic problems of survival and maintaining, with just enough sci-fi horror to keep you on your toes.

I highly recommend this series. It
Stuart Jennings

If you're into horror, here you go!

Darcy Coates has done it again...this time with the
Black Winter Series #4..."Silence in the Shadows"...

I read this all last night and today...what a GREAT book! ;)

It's the 4th in her series...Black Winter Series:

Voices in the Snow (Book 1)
Secrets in the Dark (Book 2)
Whispers in the Mist (Book 3)
Silence in the Shadows (Book 4)

And don't forget about her other amazing books...
More occult horror by Darcy Coates:

The Haunting of Ashburn House
The Haunting of Blackwood
Kathleen Gray
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the dystopian will relish this one for the clever plotting and good characters- even if they, like me, didn't read the earlier books. Clare and Dorran are traveling through a dangerous and frightening world- where mutations of humans are roaming and, well, being mutations. Much of humanity (real people) has been overtaken and now, Clare and Dorran are trying to get to Winterbourne to set up a safe haven for those who are left. No spoilers from me but this one will keep you guessing. ...more
Erika DeVore
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No matter what, they were destined to end up at the old house again

I am EMOTIONAL over the final book in a series that has become so dear over the year. Darcy does an excellent job of carrying our hero and heroine through their pages together and to an ending I wasnt predicting but still completing agree with. Along the way to the end there are laughs, tears, terror, and many many chattering hollows, yet I can safely say this entire series is one I will reread in the future (and again and
Nancy
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Silence in the Shadows, by Darcy Coates, is the fourth and final book in the Black Winter Series. I want to say that I have not read the first three books and I highly recommend that you do so before reading this one. I feel you will be more invested in the characters and backstory. That said, I still enjoyed this book. The author does an excellent job building the dystopian setting, and the story and characters will keep you turning the pages.

I thank the author and publisher for giving my an
Danielle Wells
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Masterpiece

I love this author. She is incredible! This 4 book series is nothing short of a masterpiece. She is a literary genius! This story is just remarkable and didn't want it to end. Every book of hers that comes out I devour immediately. The only thing I don't like is that she hasn't written more than she has. I need more!!! Lol
I could read them every day for the rest of my life. she's amazing!!!
Jackie Blackburn
Such an amazing culmination of everything so far in the series! I absolutely loved it. The characters are so likable and the concept is so interesting. I hate that this was the last book! The ending was wrapped up perfectly but I desperately want more of Dorran & Clares lives after the stillness. I want to learn the politics of New Climate, the families stories, and I want to see their happy family grow and thrive!
Nicole
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful end to a wonderful series. I must admit that I dragged my feet on this one because I knew this was it, but once it got going, just like the other installments, I could NOT put it down! I really hope Darcy continues to write more multiple-book stories because her stand-alones are just wonderful and now I can say the same about her series!

Very much looking forward to my next Darcy read as always - tens across the board!!
Artee Avalos
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the black winter series doesnt disappoint.

Clare and Dorran make it back to Winterbourne but the trip home wasnt easy. Filled with hollows, blood and suspense.

What was waiting at home was more then they bargained for. A fight to the finish, will they survive will the hollows be destroyed before they destroy whats left of the world.

The final book had me on the edge of my seat. I didnt want it to end.
JAN BAILEY
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant writing yet again

Absolutely loved this series thank you thank you Darcy for a happy ending for Clare, Doran and Beth I was in tears . Cleverly written and always at the back of your mind is the fact that in this world this could happen. Can't wait for a new release from this author your books never disappoint x
Linda F. Willett
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

Just got the book as could. It out it

I just got the book and could not put it down. It was a great read from start to finish. I enjoyed the previous books in this series and have waited for months to finally find out what happens to Claire and Dorran Thanks to Darcy Coates for a great ending.

Amy
Perfection

This series...perfection.
I seriously believe Darcy can write no wrong.
She is one of my favorite authors. She can get my emotions in an uproar with just a paragraph or less.
This book had me feeling every emotion from one second to the next. I didn't want to put it down. It is a must read!!
Kristy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can Darcy Coates write a brilliant zombie apocalyptic series? Yes she can!
Wow! I have enjoyed everything Darcy has published on kindle as I love a good haunted house story. I think I paid about $3 for my first Darcy Coates book and since then Ive been hooked.
But this series is completely different and it surprised me in the best way. I cant way to see what she comes up with next!
Amanda R
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series was full of life and fear and beauty

What can I say? I loved this 4-book story!! If you're looking for something intriguing, mysterious, frightful, and lovely, then start at the beginning and work your way through. The characters were brilliantly developed with depth, flaws, and spunk. Twists at every turn with an ending that is full of hope. Loved every page.
Tze
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ahhh I love this series so so much. I love how it finally ended. I was on the edge of my sit during the whole book. I really really ship Dorran and Clare. It's sad now I have to say goodbye to these characters. I'm gonna have to reread the whole series again.
jennifer
Entertaining series

Id read these books in order, and now you wont have to wait for the author to finish!!
Interesting and a little predictable but also page turning and a little scary at parts.
michelle morfey
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding series!!!! I cannot say enough amazing things about this series! Darcy Coates is such a creative and fabulous author! I cannot read smooch of her books... but this one was over the top outstanding!
Cathy Gudger
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great series! I'm sorry it ended. It was definitely an adventurous horror story with great characters and a great ending! It's not like most of the other books I have read about the end of the world as we know it.
Highly recommend!

• The Feeding: A Supernatural Apocalypse Novel (Whiteout Book 5)
  • The Numbing: A Supernatural Apocalypse Novel (Whiteout Book 3)
  • The Dark Winter
  • The City of Light: A Supernatural Apocalypse Novel (Whiteout Book 4)
  • The Snow
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • The Hill (The Spread #1)
  • The Haunting of Nelson Street (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 1)
  • Where She Lies (Detective Finnegan Beck, #1)
  • White Russian (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #11)
  • A Ghost Arrives: A Novel
  • Heartlands (Detective Jessie Blake #1)
  • Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall)
  • The Curse of the Langfords
  • Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
  • A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3: Part 1 of 2)
  • The Village (The Spread #2)
  • The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a

Black Winter (4 books)
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • Secrets in the Dark (Black Winter, #2)
  • Whispers in the Mist (Black Winter #3)