Start by marking “Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3)

Lies of the Beholder

(Legion #3)

The shocking conclusion to Brandon Sanderson's Legion novella series, on its own for the first time.

Stephen Leeds is perfectly sane. It’s his hallucinations who are mad.

A genius of unrivaled aptitude, Stephen can learn any new skill, vocation, or art in a matter of hours. However, to contain all of this, his mind creates hallucinatory people—Stephen calls them aspects

Published March 10th 2020 by Tor Books (first published September 20th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Lies of the Beholder, please sign up.
Sylvain Martel It's not a placeholder price, it's the real deal. But the reason is that it's published by Subterranean Press. They only make deluxe edition or limite…moreIt's not a placeholder price, it's the real deal. But the reason is that it's published by Subterranean Press. They only make deluxe edition or limited edition.

As alternative, look for Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds. It's a compilation of the 3 stories, including this one, in ebook and hardcover format. (less)
Maria Rose It depends on whether you have seen the screen version of Legions, which is based on an X-man character with similar tendencies. I was confused at fir…moreIt depends on whether you have seen the screen version of Legions, which is based on an X-man character with similar tendencies. I was confused at first and a bit annoyed that I had gotten the third novella prior to the previous novellas. But once I figured out that all the extra characters were merely mental visions, I realized that this book decides Stephen Leeds future-forward and unless you want to go back and read how he developed his mental friends, you don't really have to read the previous novellas.(less)

Start your review of Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3)
Khurram
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the conclusion to the Legion trilogy. So much so I do not want it to end, I keep trying to think of new ways he could come back, or what his future holds.

Legion gets a message from his past that will definitely affect his future. He is given the choice of his life, but to find peace he must first face his nightmares.

It was awesome seeing these characters evolve and grow, I know Legion' s pain. Though the characters are not real I will miss them. A great story a bit on the short
Gene
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
“J.C.,” she said flatly, “you’re as crazy as they come. How many gun magazine subscriptions do you have?”
“… All of them,” he admitted.
“In how many languages?”
“… All of them.”
“And how many of those languages other than English do you read?”
“… None of them.” He peered through the bushes with his binoculars. “But I can read the pictures. Those aren’t in Canadian or whatever, eh.”

Yes, I like J.C.

People that read previous novellas know that Stephen Leads is not exactly a genius. His hallucinations h
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I waited nearly four years to read this book to have it all come to...this? Really? I mean, REALLY?

But hey, I guess I can't complain. At least I didn't buy the book as soon as it was released and therefore didn't get totally ripped off by paying 10 bloody shrimping euros for 100 miserable pages. So go me and stuff.

· Book 1: Legion ★★★★
· Book 2: Skin Deep ★★★★★

[August 11, 2018]

Excerpt from the book available here!!

Argh, I miss Stephen Leeds' hallucinations so bad (view spoiler)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I still love Brandon Sanderson’s LEGION series and adore Stephen Leeds and his hallucinatory aspects, but “Lies of the Beholder” ... was kind of a letdown.

As “Lies of the Beholder” (the third and last novella in this series) begins, Stephen Leeds is giving a private interview to Jenny Zhang, a reporter who begins displaying far more insight into Stephen’s mental state and thought processes than he’s comfortable with. This uncomfortable interview is interrupted by a text from the long-missing Sa
Deborah Obida
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a bit underwhelming, though it was a good conclusion to the series I expected more.

Stephen Leeds is still crazy despite denying it, his aspects are always fun to read about.

The world building and writing is great, I actually liked it.

“Who cares?” I said. “Yes, it’s all in my head. But pain is ‘all in my head’ too. Love is ‘all in my head.’ All the things that matter in life are the things you can’t measure! The things our brains make up! Being made-up doesn’t make them unimportant.”
Lo9man88
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I broke my fucking hiatus from goodreads to give my tow cents about this freaking book which is bad for me , me entering goodreads is like "Alec" entering wonderland i get lost pretty fast and for so long... Any who , i never thought i will be "dissing" a Sanderson's book in my life, but here i go: It felt so bad so shitty , near the end you have the impression that something is wrong that something is missing: it was just soo limp ,,, yes limp that's the exact word I'm looking for , it's like w ...more
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It’s all fun and games till you end up curled up in a ball crying for 10 minutes straight.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG

Mitticus
3.5

Nightmares didn’t follow the rules.

At first I liked the tone of the novel, dark to even represent horror for an instant (I even liked it more than the previous 2), but then all that crescendo was blurred, leaving a weak ending that he tried with good intention to give it a end to the trilogy.

Stephen goes to an interview to fulfill a commitment, and suddenly he receives the long-awaited news from his friend Sandra, asking for help. We soon found out that Stephen is having a crisis related
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I'm not sure I liked this one. 😬 Ima have to think about it for a couple of days. ...more
Oskari
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't need to read a Brandon Sanderson book to know if it's going to be five stars. ...more
Nicole
I share the PoV of many regarding this novella. It definitely pales in comparison with the first two but it was fun nonetheless.
Anish Kohli
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10/02/20: Full Review Up!

Book number 4 and my first series from Brandon Sanderson done and dusted!! Yes, I am aware this is a short story/novella but I’m never getting used to the word ‘novella’ and I’ll stubbornly use the word ‘book’. So yeah.

I’d say this is a pretty great conclusion to the series. I’m not gonna say that I was super invested in the characters or the series bcz with a person like me, who unnaturally favors the longer books, it’s hard to actually feel connected with such a short
Divine
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sense8 fans and uhmm EVERYONE???
SANDERSON DID IT AGAIN. I never meant to get attached with the aspects nor to actually really love this novella but why dafuq am I ugly crying????????? (Hahahah who am I kidding?)
description
This final novella was truly an emotional and turbulent read and to say that
Lee
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Easily - EASILY - The best of the series.

For such short novellas, these pack quite the punch. I read this following the release of Sanderson's "Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds", which is a single volume containing all three of these novellas. This conclusion really rounds it all out and brought a sense of closure to a set of circumstances and characters that I really didn't think would end impressively. Well done.

These are by no means hefty, but they do require a good deal of attention
Richard
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, sci-fi
6/10

Not much to be said about this, it was decent enough but only lasted a few hours and didn't differ all that much from the other two that came before it. The narrator is good and manages the different voices well making each distinguishable from the other and the pacing is done nicely. There just wasn't masses of substance but then again it is a short story which I can struggle with.

The completionist in me made me listen to this one but I don't think it was necessary really.
Vignesh Ashok Kumar
Ashley
Well, I suppose it had to happen sometime. I'm rating a Brandon Sanderson book less than four stars. He's written about five million of them, so statistically this was a very likely outcome, eventually. And now it has, and we can all move on with our lives.

I really enjoyed the first two novellas in this series. The premise is great (a genius who has schizophrenia channels his illness into the creation of imaginary people who he calls aspects, all of whom are experts in one field or another). And
Kira Thebookbella
This was the third and final book of the Stephen Leeds trilogy and I loved this so much. I just wish they were longer or there was more to the series.

Unlike most of Brandon Sanderson's works this is more of a contemporary mystery book. Steven Leeds manages his multiple personality disorder by externlizing them as separate personalities he interacts with. So he has a little multiple personality disorder mixed with sichzophenia. He sees and hears his personalities and interacts with them. Each pe
Karishma
A great book but a very disappointing and flawed ending.
Steven
Not sure I loved that it's over and that's how... but still enjoyed the trilogy. ...more
Manisha

Lies of the Beholder is the third and final book in the Legion trilogy, a sci-fi series written by Brandon Sanderson.

This is my second sci-fi series from this author, and I’m sad to say that the ending underwhelmed me.

GOODBYE MY FRIENDS:

I understand what Sande
Ezgi Tülü
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I was so tired. Tired of being a test subject. Tired of imagining a world where everyone lived—had friends, fell in love, visited family—except me.
Tired of being the middle manager of my own existence.

On Legion kitabı daha olsa, onunu da okurdum. Ama yok. Bitmiş olması beni üzüyor.
Avinash
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No doubt this was best out of all 3 stories but that ending wasn't quite satisfying. Collectively it was a series with great concepts and ideas but didn't utilize it's full potential. A solid 7 out of 10 for this book. Recommended... ...more
kartik narayanan
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

Watch the review at my Youtube Channel

tl;dr: The 'Legion' series is an interesting take on a genius with multiple personalities.

The protagonist is Stephen Leeds. His genius is sought after by everyone - from the person on the street to governments. He has one small quirk though - he hallucinates multiple personalities that he calls 'aspects'. They are created whenever Stephen needs to learn some new skill which he does by reading books or observation.
Prithviraj
Oct 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. The point of the story and how it gets through:
This is the concluding story of Stephen Leeds aka Legion. And boy, it couldn't have ended in a more satisfying way! The sense of an unstable narrative gets through really well making the reader question what reality is.

2. Writing style:
I found the writing style in this one to be much, much better than the first two books. There wasn't much over-explaining involved.
4/5

3. Characters:
Sanderson's got me crying over the protagonist's hallucinations. T
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Bravo, Sanderson! Bravo!

Your stories always get me right in the feelers. You truly are a master storyteller.
Farhang Nazaridoost
Like so many good series that had and have an excellent ending Lies of the Beholder was an excellent work for ending a series. You know Legion series is not one of the famous work like Mistborn or Strormlight Archive but it was a very interesting series for me. Short plot with believable characters and lovely and thrilling story is a good description for all books of this series. Plot twist of this one was shocked me because in the last chapter i was in a bad mood and feel that i am watching Ret ...more
Kelsea
(This is a review for the third novella only; the audiobook and bound hardcover of Legion released today includes all three novellas, but I've read the other two previously, so I skipped to Lies of the Beholder.)

AHHHHHH finally an end to this novella series!

And therein lies both the exciting part and the part that didn’t quite work for me.

I think if I had read all three novellas at once, my feelings may have differed? But since I waited so long for this book (including a teaser at ECCC seven mon
Oleksandr Zholud
Apr 08, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final third novella from the trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. This novella continues the story started in Legion and Skin Deep, which I reviewed here and here respectively.

This time Stephen Leeds gets a message from Sandra, the woman with similar issues, who originally taught him to use his illusions instead of fighting with them. The woman who had vanished soon after and who he searched for ever since. She texted him a single word: help. Leeds follows the leads and meets with the priso
Katie
I kept putting this off with the intention of re-reading the first two books, but that just . . . wasn't happening!

I WOULD like to re-read at some point because I'm not sure if this entirely worked as an ending. I still enjoyed it a lot, but it also wasn't what I was expecting. (view spoiler)

Anyway, glad I finally read it!

Owned ebook 2/2 fo
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Lies of the Beholder [Oct 8, 2018] 34 21 Oct 15, 2018 07:59PM

• Mother of Learning: ARC 3
  • Mother of Learning: ARC 2
  • River of Souls
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Land of Magic (Dragon Heart, #6)
  • He Who Fights With Monsters 7  (He Who Fights with Monsters, #7)
  • He Who Fights With Monsters 8 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #8)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • The Dead City (Books of the Raksura, #0.3)
  • Vignette (The Dresden Files, #5.5)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters 3 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #3)
  • The Kaiju Preservation Society
  • End of Watch (Renegade Star #3.5)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • The Magic Order, Vol. 2
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
See top shelves…
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S