Start by marking “Living a Life That Matters: Resolving the Conflict Between Conscience and Success” as Want to Read:

From the bestselling author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People comes a profound and practical book about doing well by doing good. Rabbi Kushner suggests that the path to a truly successful life lives in friendship, family, acts of generosity and self-sacrifice, as well as God's forgiving nature.
Published September 4th 2001 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Living a Life That Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living a Life That Matters

Start your review of Living a Life That Matters: Resolving the Conflict Between Conscience and Success
David
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Years ago I enjoyed reading Rabbi Kushner's When Bad Things Happen to Good People. "Living a Life that Matters" follows in a similar approach; short and concise, but coherent and realistic. A recurring theme throughout the book is the life of the biblical patriarch Jacob, who lived a most interesting life. Early in life he was disengenuous, "stealing" his brother's birthright and then deceiving his father, Isaac. But, what goes around comes around, when he wanted to marry Rachel, and instead his ...more
Robyn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very lovely way to spend a Saturday morning during a tough time of year. I sort of like to think of Harold Kushner as my spiritual advisor since When Bad Things Happen to Good People helped me so much after my dad died. This one is a meditation on what it means to be a "good person", which was more relevant reading for this stage of grief, and in general a topic I like to think about, learn about, challenge my brain with.

This was the third book I've ready by Kushner and I have loved
Brittany
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
During my weekly library browsing day last week, I found a book called Living a Life that Matters by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner. I had been looking for another book to read that would give insight into living life for and with God. However, there have been few authors recently that write on this subject that I have been able to get into. This was a quick read, insightful, and I had a hard time putting it down.

In a world where we can feel ignored or lost in the crowd, overwhelmed by all the pressure
Sue
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This book is a thoughtful discourse on what makes life matter, on what can bring significance to a single life. Kushner notes that worldly success often appears to come only with the demise of personal conscience, but he also argues persuasively that it needn't be this way. Using the biblical story of Jacob, who tricked his own brother into selling his birthright but later became a sincere man of God, Kushner teaches us that we CAN change for the better, we CAN "succeed" without sacrificing our ...more
Walter
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book - it deals thoughtfully with many aspects of our existence, beginning with helping us to conceptualize our dual needs/goals of success and significance. On the whole, it is written in a straightforward, common sense style, refreshingly free of dogma and cant. As such, then, it delivers piercing insights into our human nature and our (need for/ inclination toward) spirituality that are as convincing as they are clear. After having been disappointed by his earlier, far be ...more
Jacqueline
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book so much, I bought copies as gifts to share with others. Kushner gathers together material from many great souls and shares their combined wisdom in a lovely narrative interwoven with biblical exegesis.
Some of my favorite quotes from this book:

p.145 As Mother Teresa said, "Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love."

p.158 " A good person, even in death, is still alive."

p. 154 "If a person has known love, has felt and given love, that person'
Paul
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love the words of Harold Kushner. Though, I am not Jewish what he writes is timeless and for anyone who truly wants to become a better person. I finished this book last month but I already have started to reread the book. The book definitely should be read many times.
Angela
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors. He is most famous for writing "When Bad Things Happen to Good People." This book weaves philsophy and religion in a common sense practical approach that is applicable to everyday life.
Ann Baxter
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Kushner has a way of making all of us feel better about ourselves yet want to strive to be better. His use of the biblical Jacob to explain the internal conflicts within us all was fascinating. Kushner is an intelligent yet thoughtful writer.
JR Simons
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Wasn't really what I was looking for.
David Rickert
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of good stuff in here. I really liked the chapter on revenge.
Rochelle
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality, essays
Loved this book and it is one that I will return to often. For its lessons are timeless.
Aric Hluch
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living a Life That Matters is a short treatise on, well, living a life that matters. Kushner references a wide range of intellectuals' views, from Plato and Rousseau to Jung and Dostoevsky. His insights were refreshing and empowering, offering unique perspectives on what it means to truly love and carry out our commitments to doing good. Although the overall theme of the book is a bit hackneyed, Kushner manages to suffuse each chapter with fair and thorough investigations into human nature. He d ...more
Linda Layne
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first work written by Harold Kushner. I had heard of "Living a Life That Matters" and was looking forward to reading it. I would have to say that I appreciated the way that Rabbi Kushner used examples from the Bible, the Torah, and his conversations with people to emphasize points throughout the book.

I found him to be honest, to the point, yet not condemning, preachy, or self-righteous. I also greatly appreciated his sense of humor. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wh
Cathie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-studies
I have picked this book up and read different parts so often. I finally sat down in 2019 and read it from start to finish. It has incredible lessons from shared stories of the Bible and other great reads with Kushner’s shared thoughts.
I will reread it now a lot. It will stay at my bedside because of its value to me to remember to always be kind and love others. It provides much needed lessons to share in small groups, with friends, in a Bible Study or church class.
I will go on to read Kushner’
David Geschke
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I’ve ever read by Harold Kushner. Fantastic. The first couple chapters sucked me in, and even though I was reading ten other books at the time this book took over as my main read right away. Bogged down a little in the middle, but so good beginning and at the end that I’m giving it five stars and highly recommending it to anyone interested in living a life of significance. And, that’s pretty much all of us, right?
Ed Barton
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book provides perspective on the meaning of life from the standpoint of accomplishment and purpose. Kushner provides tremendous insights on the role of the parent, the spouse, the child and the little things that make each of our lives have purpose and meaning. The stories are fantastic, as is the book as a whole. A great read.
Toby Philpott
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book

I’ve rarely read such books but this one certainly arrived at the right time in my life. The messages Rabbi Kutchner focuses on in this book are fundamental ones. How can we matter and how can we lead a good life. Well worth reading.
Roger
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! Rabbi Kushner has a way of talking to everyone. Thought provoking. . . insightful. . . inspiring. Would recommend this to anyone.
Anju Mai
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, moving and warm-hearted book! I will read more of Harold S. Kushner's books in the future.
Billie Pritchett
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Will review later.
Kevin Orth
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how Rabbi Kushner is consistently both consistent with his belief system and widely ecumenical in drawing upon spiritual sources, resources, and experience in elucidating his narratives.
Julia
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Rabbi Kushner! Enough said. :)
Sawn Medrano
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giving-back
helps me to stay focused on what is really important
Heike
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing
Anissa Vis
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this insightful read
Deborah Gaspar
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great leadership and self leadership book.
Patrick
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book that had some amazing insights on life and what matters using stories from the Old Testament and other faith-based literature. A true gem that everyone should read.
MBG
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Independent read summer 2019. I had read When Bad Things Happen to Good People by same author. Comforting and confirming, it’s the love you leave behind that matters.
Gabriel Stein
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Like everything else by Rabbi Kushner, a very good book with important messages for how we should aim to live our lives.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends
  • Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • The French Gardener
  • What's Worth Knowing
  • Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer
  • The Soloist
  • Travels
  • Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms
  • There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra
  • Autobiographies: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass / My Bondage and My Freedom / Life and Times of Frederick Douglass
  • Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions
  • Securities Operations: A Guide to Trade and Position Management
  • Unix Network Programming, Volume 1: Networking APIs - Sockets and XTI
  • A New Collection of Three Complete Novels: Congo / Sphere / Eaters of the Dead
  • Wit and Wisdom: A Book of Quotations
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • You Must Set Forth at Dawn
Harold S. Kushner is rabbi laureate of Temple Israel in the Boston suburb of Natick, Massachusetts. A native of Brooklyn, New York, he is the author of more than a dozen books on coping with life’s challenges, including, most recently, the best-selling Conquering Fear and Overcoming Life’s Disappointments.

News & Interviews

“Forgiveness is a favor we do for ourselves, not a favor we do to the other party.” 55 likes
“Good people will do good things, lots of them, because they are good people. They will do bad things because they are human.” 46 likes