Start by marking “These Are The Hands: Poems from the Heart of the NHS” as Want to Read:
These Are The Hands: Poems from the Heart of the NHS

These Are The Hands: Poems from the Heart of the NHS

This anthology offers a unique insight into the real experiences of the people at the heart of the NHS - from the student nurse at the start of his career to the heart surgeon on the eve of her retirement. We also hear the stories of those whose vital work is often unseen and unsung from domestic cleaning staff to sign language interpreters. The poems offer unflinchingly h ...more
Published March 21st 2020 by Fair Acre Press

To ask other readers questions about These Are The Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Are The Hands

Start your review of These Are The Hands: Poems from the Heart of the NHS
Lisa D
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I think I’m lucky to have a copy of this - especially during C19 lockdown. It’s out of stock on Amazon but I got a copy from the printers. It a beautiful anthology written by talented NHS staff members and more renowned poets. Roy Marshall’s poem Trace is one of my favourites. I’m just reading 4 or 5 each day and saying a quiet prayer of thanks and gratitude to everyone who is part of the NHS and who is working at great personal risk whilst I just have to work from home and sit on my sofa.
carole
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book written with such thought provoking empathy.
From the heart to the reader.
Everyone should have a copy on their book shelf.
I loved browsing through this book at bedtime and before I rise in the morning.
peppersocks
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reflections and lessons:
So broad and beautiful - on some of poems you’re there on the detective side of pre patient diagnosis, and then on some you’re on the receiving end, trying to work out what could have gone better of a simple question of why. Real hats off for including so many professions and advocates. Very exciting to spot some of my colleagues in educational libraries!

Also, a very simple thing, but the cover and pages were so tactile - really adding to the overall experience
Jane
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I heard Lemn Sissay talk in conversation at a replacement event for the cancelled Brighton Festival at the end of May. He mentioned this anthology of poems about and from within the NHS. It seemed like a good thing to own and to read during this time.

I put page markers beside a number of poems. Some because they were clever, and some because they made me feel. Here’s my list:
- Donning my stethoscope
- Scanning
- We mourn your children too
- Dream a little dream of me
- The laying out to come
- Th
Dave Williams
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The poems in this collection are all heartfelt, compassionate, many moving and poignant, one or two defiant or angry. Which ones touch each reader most strongly will, I suspect, depend on their resonance with that reader's personal experiences. For me, those that made me pause mid-stanza and take a few deep breaths before diving back in were the ones about witnessing the gradual ebbing of identity and individuality in elderly relatives.
Most are free verse, though as a bit of a formalist I welco
Steve Mitchell
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing anthology of poems about - and in many cases, by - the NHS and the people that keep it running. Inspiring and emotional, especially under the current situation of a second lockdown of the COVID pandemic. I missed coinciding the reading of this book with what would have been Nye Bevan’s birthday by a couple of days
Arlene
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection and very much what's needed right now. The poems are heartbreaking, inspirational and heartfelt. A great collection of snapshots of the people who make the NHS. ...more
Kate Kells
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
Some great poems and some average poems. I would recommend this more of a dip in and out book rather than a read from cover to cover.
Danielle Walker

• A Curious History of Sex
  • Logging Off
  • Square Haunting: Five Writers in London Between the Wars
  • Our House Is on Fire: Scenes of a Family and a Planet in Crisis
  • Black Coral (Underwater Investigation Unit, #2)
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • In a Field of Blue
  • The Invisible Child and The Fir Tree
  • I Would Leave Me If I Could: A Collection of Poetry
  • The Familiars
Michael Rosen, a recent British Children’s Laureate, has written many acclaimed books for children, including WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, and I’M NUMBER ONE and THIS IS OUR HOUSE, both illustrated by Bob Graham. Michael Rosen lives in London.