Start by marking “Waiting for You” as Want to Read:
Waiting for You

Waiting for You

At the beginning of her sophomore year, Marisa is ready for a fresh start and, more importantly, a boyfriend. So when the handsome and popular Derek asks her out, Marisa thinks her long wait for happiness is over. But several bumps in the road—including her parents’ unexpected separation, a fight with her best friend, and a shocking disappointment in her relationship with ...more
Published May 14th 2009 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for You, please sign up.

Yasmine
May 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
Nomes
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Waiting for you is a classic coming of age novel - spanning a good year of one teen girls life. Marisa is easy to relate to. Almost too easy, taking me back to those high school days where little things (small fights with your best bud) are the big things. Marisa has recently struggled with anxiety and depression and throughout the book sometimes slips back into that place. It's handled expertly, delving straight into the mind of a teenager with a light touch, never taking the path of melodrama. ...more
Sam! at the bookstore
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, re-read
Rating: 4 stars

Update: reread May 25, 2016

A cute, short, easy read that only took me 2.5 hours to re-read. I completely forgot about some of the elements in this book, and I really enjoyed experiencing them again.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

Marisa has had a crush on Derek for a long, long time. He's perfect: friendly, cute, popular. The only problem is that he has a girlfriend. Then there's Nash, her longtime, geeky neighbor. Sure, he's super shy, but he's also extremely sweet and smart.

So when Derek breaks up with his girlfriend and starts paying attention to Marisa, she's ecstatic. Soon it's official - Derek and Marisa, the couple of the school. But then things change between Nash and Marisa
Kristi
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This was my first time reading Colasanti, and I really enjoyed it! She definitely has a style to her writing, it was simplistic and enjoyable. It flowed very nicely, making it a very easy read.

Waiting for You is an emotional, fun, sort of coming of age story all centered around a first love. Although I predicted whom our heroine would end up with ultimately, it didn't keep me from turning the pages at warp speed! I liked the serious elements that Colasanti presented too. It was definitely not s
Erica (daydreamer)
I just finished this book, and I’m in love. The ending was so sweet, and perfect, it made me smile, and sigh inside. Waiting For You was a cute, light novel, but it took me on a meaningful journey of love, and acceptance, finding who you are, and how much the people you love really mean to you. This wasn’t an earth shattering novel, it's kind of predictable, but something in it just clicked with me.

The characters were all so very real, especially Marisa. I loved Marisa, I loved her voice, I lov
Natshane
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a good curl-up-with book
It was exam week, I was not supposed to give in into temptations and read, but I did, and I did not regret it at all!
Waiting for you is a story of a girl wanting to change herself, and she has been waiting all her life for a change. From the obvious title, Waiting for you, it gives readers the impression that the protagonist, Marisa is waiting for the special someone to appear, and she is! But it also involves something more deep.
One thing about books like this, it gives you a moment of euphori
Mili
Jun 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009, teen
I read about 30 pages of this book and had to quit, abandon and return to the library where it'll rightfully find the hands of a 13 year old girl looking for a Hannah Montana episode on pages.

I quote this horrendous book:

"I'm just saying," Andrea goes.
"Yeah, well I'm just saying that Dan is seriously hot," Sterling says "Can you introduce me?"
Andrea scrunches her face up.
"What?" Sterling goes.
Andrea's all, "Forget it"
Sterling's like, "Could it be any hotter?"
I go, "In hell maybe".

I swear that's
Nicole
Sep 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
So this book is bad. Like really bad. It was an easy read. I read it in a couple hours but I couldn’t even tell you the MC name even.

She was immature, annoying, and there was almost too much self dialogue going on. The writing was seriously terrible.

See for yourself;

“Nash has a new shirt. News like this would normally seem so uneventful that it wouldn’t even be classified as news. But with Nash, it’s a whole different story.”

“How can Derek be friends with her? Didn’t she break up with him? So
46milestogo
May 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Girl likes "cool" boy. "Nerdy" boy likes girl. Girl has family problems/issues. Girl, to her shock, ends up dating the "cool" boy.

Guess whose problems/issues are resolved by the end of the book? Guess which boy the girl ends up with?

Waiting For You is utterly obvious from the first chapter and Colasanti's writing isn't strong enough to sustain interest. You know exactly what's going to happen about ten chapters before it happens, and the character are caricatures. So much so that I can't actua
Nicole
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
No Susane, I was waiting for YOU to actually get me interested in the story.
Obsidian
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
So apparently I went two for two on young adult reads this weekend.

Told in the first person, we have Marisa ready to start her sophomore year in high school. Marisa had a bad year as a freshman when she suffered from depression and anxiety. Now she is happy to start a new year where she can wipe the slate clean and finally find a boyfriend to fall in love with.

I thought that honestly way too many serious things that were going on were just ignored so we could focus on Marisa being obsessed with
ijul (yuliyono)
Ada Apa Dengan John Mayer, wahai para wanita?

Summary
Aku, Marisa, bersedia menunggu sampai datang cowok impian yang akan membuatku bahagia. Selama apa pun itu. Tapi, dalam masa penantian itu, aku tak akan menyia-nyiakan hidupku. Ada keluarga yang selalu mencintaiku, Mom, Dad, dan si bossy Sandra, adikku. Lalu ada pula dua sobat terbaikku, Nash dan Sterling. Pada saat tertentu, aku merasa Derek, cowok paling oke di sekolahan, adalah cowok impian yang kutunggu-tunggu itu. Betapa tidak, dia adalah g
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
Sophomore Year.

This should be a fresh start according to Marissa. After a series of anxiety attacks, she is ready to take on a new start on things at school and more importantly ready to take it to the next level and have a boyfriend.

Derek is one of the handomest guy at Marissa's school. Ever girl loves him and Emma fails to escape that charisma of him. She has been in love with him for a long time now and the only thing that is stopping her from telling him is the fact that he has a grilfrien
Caitlin Stamm
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was worse than I expected, and that is saying something.
Dorothy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti is a remarkable read for any high schooler who is, or has, experienced having a crush or two. I loved this book because the way she wrote was easy to read without making me feel like I’m reading a book for a child. Also, the storyline of the book was very plausible for a high school student because I feel like the way many love stories end are more like fairytales and not real life. It was nice to be able to relate to a book I was reading.

In Waiting for You,
Arlene
I almost gave up on this book for several reasons, which I'll get to in a sec, but overall I’m glad I stuck with it. It turned out to be a good story about two friends that have been waiting for something special when it was there in front of them all along.

I really liked the main characters of this story, especially Dirty Dirk. What a great and clever addition to the story line. His advice and disguise was classic to say the least. However, I must say, I did have my suspicions of him all along
Lo
Sep 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, annoying
This book was a major disappointment.

If you're interested in books about stereotypical teenagers who whine about not having a boyfriend, then this is the perfect book for you. I'm not one of those people.

Marisa (who's name I didn't learn until chapter 12--I counted) just striked me as a very annoying teenage girl. She's supposed to have anxiety (that somehow never appears), and when it did, it felt like the author only put it in because she felt bad for not doing it earlier.

She also says that Ma
Samantha
Personally it's no longer my sort of book, however, i was having a clear out and decided to reread some books that I couldn't remember before I sent them on their way. This book is a sweet coming of age story, and I know younger me enjoyed it because it touches on more realistic themes that I think are more relatable. It deals with mental health, such as depression and anxiety disorders in a way that isn't romanticised or portrays them as being end all, awful diseases you can never over come. It ...more
Holly
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I knew was going to have a happy ending, but I didn't know exactly how it was going to happen (or with whom).

Marisa is a bit hard to like in the beginning because she has this anxiety disorder thing that makes her depressed and a worry-wart. She dwells on everything to the point of insanity (and that's coming from the girl who does the exact same thing!).

It's also a story with a serious message and I liked how everything unfolded. You really do start to like her and yo
Ana  Lelis
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good reading. That's the first book of Susane Colasanti that I read and I really enjoyed it. Her written is very easy and fun, you don't want to stop reading until you finish the book. The book is not about a 'love triangle', it's about family, love yourself and of course teenage love. Very good book.
Mafe
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really good book! I think it's written in a way in which I got to connect with the main character and the author managed to convey the feelings in a way that I didn't want to leave the book staying up until 4am reading it!
Kristine Lopez
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS :)))

And I also like to leave a review about this but unfortunately, things came up. And sooooo.... LATER ;)
Shxrxn
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the beginning of the year. It’s all about renewal and reinventing yourself, becoming the person you’ve always wanted to be.
- Marisa
I have a theory that the answers to all of life’s major questions can be found in a John Mayer song.
- Marisa
The problem with the last few days of summer? Is that you can’t hold on to them. They zoom by way too fast. You live through them in a dream until they’re over. And then everything slows down to a glacial pace again.
- Marisa
Control your thoughts to contr
Lexi F.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely a page turner. It goes from these people to the next set of people and gets you thinking. The family emergencies and heart breaks make you never want to stop reading it. It may seem a little slow at first, but never does it stop after that. It keeps you thinking whats going to happen next.
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Brought back a lot of memories from my middle/high school years. Sweet book :)
Kaitlyn
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has made me realize how things can seem to be so well if you aren't paying close attention and if you allow your self to over look things but in all reality they aren't going so well and you need to fix things before it is too late.
Makayla T
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently read the novel Waiting for You, by Susane Colasanti. I really enjoyed reading the story because I didn't expect the ending. I thought that because of how much Marisa liked Derek so would try to get over the fact that Derek and Sierra are still friends. It made me think that maybe Marisa didn't like him as much as she did when he was just Derek to her. This story taught me that even though you might find a guy that has a “perfect, California surfer boy look” (9) he might not be as “per ...more
Laura Martinelli
I picked this up after flipping through So Much Closer at work and generally liking what I read. I liked it well enough to go and grab one of Colasanti’s earlier books. Unfortunately, there wasn’t as much pep and funny to grab me with Waiting for You.

A huge problem with the book is the pacing, especially with the first third of the book. The chapters were extremely erratic, switching between what was going on in the plot and having Marisa pontificate on her interests and feelings. It felt jarrin
Micaela Ramos
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-ones-i-own
Esse livro foi a minha única aquisição da Bienal de Fortaleza de 2014 e eu só o comprei porque... #1: eu não queria sair da Bienal de mãos abanando; #2: eu li “Bem mais perto”, da mesma autora e gostei; #3: o livro estava por R$15. Apesar de achar que se trataria de um livro meio fútil, para mim, resolvi apostar e acabei gostando da leitura.

Doce. Leve. Simples.

Marisa é uma garota prestes a cursar o segundo ano do ensino médio, o que ela quer? Amigos, ser mais popular e menos conhecida como “a e
Nash or Derek? 11 48 Jan 12, 2015 09:25AM
What's the Name o...: YA fiction - Girl listens to radio show [s] 10 49 Jun 01, 2014 01:36PM
  • Something, Maybe
  • Take Me There
  • For Keeps
  • One Lonely Degree
  • What Would Emma Do?
  • Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door, #1-2)
  • Caleb + Kate
  • The Book of Luke
  • Cruel Summer
  • Shrinking Violet
Susane Colasanti is the bestselling author of When It Happens, Take Me There, Waiting for You, Something Like Fate, So Much Closer, Keep Holding On, All I Need, Now and Forever, and the City Love trilogy. She has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree from New York University. Before becoming a full-time author in 2007, Susane was a high school science teache ...more
“If a girl starts out all casual with a guy and she doesn't tell him that she wants a relationship, it will never become a relationship. If you give the guy the impression that casual is okay with you, that's all he'll ever want. Be straight with him from the start. If he gets scared and runs away, he wasn't right for you.” 1414 likes
“I'd rather be weird and happy than normal and miserable.” 409 likes