Start by marking “The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior” as Want to Read:
The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior

The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  548 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Many believers settle for a spiritual routine that lacks God's presence. But what they truly want, and truly need, is a dynamic, vital, and intimate relationship with God. Here Wayne Cordeiro gently but directly shows readers how to move from routine to relationship--from mundane actions to fresh encounters--by learning to hear Him speak to them through the Bible. Through ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Mentor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Mentor

Randy
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting account of how Cordeiro took responsibility for his own spiritual growth. Instead of complaining 'I am not getting fed in this church' he explains how he became a self starter and learned how to learn on his own. As a you pastor in Hawaii, he came across a biography of Titus Coan who was a missionary to the islands in the mid 1800's. Cordeiro slowly learned from the lessons Coan wrote about 130 years before Cordeiro got to the islands. As an RV full-timer, we do not have the luxury o ...more
JJ Vancil
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
“Enter the Bible daily” (p. 207). This sums up what The Divine Mentor, by Wayne Cordeiro, is all about. It is powerful book about the power of God’s Word and how the simple habit of engaging in the Word on daily basis will dramatically impact one’s life. Cordeiro has a deep & authentic passion for Scriptures and that passion leaps off the page. This book not only paints a beautiful and accurate picture of the way God uses the Bible, but he gives the reader practical tools to make daily readi ...more
Reid
One of the best books I have read this year. This is an easy-to-read plan on how to read, understand and apply what the Bible talks about to one's life.

Through the use of this 4-step process (S.O.A.P.), Cordeiro not only "fed" himself spiritual principles for Biblical living, he grew a church (many churches) in Hawaii to over 14000 people.

The daily devotional 4-step process goes like this:

S - select a scripture passage or verse
O - observe what you see in this selection, what is being communicat
Dawn
Excellent teaching on how to do daily personal Bible study. Very encouraging, gentle and wise. This is a good primer for quality quiet times and would be good for use with college students and new believers.

For whatever reason, most of the scriptures were left without their references. I had to constantly interrupt my reading to refer to the lists in the back just to find out where these verses actually were in the Bible. This was annoying and tedious every time. It's a book about studying the
Scott
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical
The best modern-day book of getting back into the Bible that I've read, hands down.
Cordeiro's stories perfectly weave in with his advice to get back to the Bible as our basis for growth in the Christian faith. He includes the reading plan that he promotes through his church and journals. The plan is a great place to start if you are looking for help getting through the Bible. I can't recommend this book high enough!
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
There's some good stuff in here that is repeated repeatedly to make the book long enough.
Ken  Van Horn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended

Well written and wise--This came recommended by a pastor and I enjoyed the book. I came to the same conclusions but came by another way. Do what the book says and it will change your life.
Michelle Lunsford
This book was referenced at a pastor's spiritual discipline retreat I attended in the fall of 2016. It's a solid presentation about the importance of regular, consistent Bible reading as a means of feeding the soul. As Corderio shares, there are many valuable resources for devotional reading available to the Christian, but nothing compares with God's word. While the specific methodology of reading and journaling presented by Corderio in this book is not the only way one can engage with scripture ...more
Dave Etherton
this is a brilliant book and has been a real challenge to me in the aspect of Journal writing. I have never seen before the real benefits of trying to be logical / deliberate about journal writing. whilst I have maintained a regular time of personal reading i have always struggled with writing a journal.

This book inspired me in two ways.
1. To be deliberate about writing
2. To stop and listen to what God is trying to say to me.

to often I have done my reading and got on with the day, this is no lo
Jeanine
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great book! one statement the author made changed my attitude about "just reading" to "take note!": Pg.119 under the sub-heading of "Entering the Bible" - "Reading the Bible will tell you about history and tender facts. Entering the Bible will be like shadowing Christ. You'll hear Him speak to a lame man, to a leper...The more you hear about God and His heart, the more your faith will grow." All of this is definitely true. So as I continued to read,seeing the importance of entering the Bi ...more
Amanda
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Our church is doing this as a study so our Sunday School class is focusing on it. I find it a very good, insightful and easy read while also making me look hard at my own commitment to discipleship and devotions (which I will admit now is next to nil). I have a feeling that will change throughout this study, which is exactly why we are using it.

After spending some time doing the SOAP method of journaling, I have to say I really like it. While it was daunting at first and took me a while to work
Danette Bishop
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, nonfiction
Now I understand why every time I wanted to do devotions, it was such a battle!
After reading the first 3 chapters, I made a promise to God that if he gave me the grace to do so I would never miss my time with him again!
I knew devotions were important because I had been told so my whole life but Wayne's book helped me to understand WHY they were so important.
3 weeks of daily devotions later, I honestly can't imagine how I ever got through a day without that time with my most important love! I
Rowan
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: christians
This a very easy read book as to why and how the reader ( as a bible believing Christain ) should continue to study, read and journal from the bible. Admittedly it does seem to emphasize again and again on a number of its principles but to a backslider like me it was most welcome. It is difficult to rate this book because it offers more of correction/encouragement than self help or easy ending answer.
Kaitlyn
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about why and how to study the bible.
I felt like the first few chapters were rather redundant. He spent a lot of time explaining his past and story which took a while for me to get through, but once he got started on the in depth how and why of bible reading/journaling/devotion it was awesome.
Rob
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
A very inspiring book. Encourages a consistent quiet time with God. The author refreshingly describes Bible reading as a way to learn from all sorts of mentors. He encourages that people read the Bible in a year using the SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) method. I highly recommend.
Cinda
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book on my Emmaus Walk. I'd love to have a mentor and never thought about the fact that God selected the characters of the bible to be our mentors. We just need to spend time with them. I really like the suggested journaling method and plan to order a Life Journal for each of our family members. I dog eared a number of pages to share with my family.
Mark Thomas
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This can be a life changing book...if you take it to heart. It is a guide to daily Bible Reading. I have followed this plan for over 5 years now and all will testify that I am a very different...in a better way person.

It is an easy read but where it leads is a place of great adventure, discovery and growth.
Fredd
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Excellent. I've started to use Wayne's method of devotional study for a fresh approach and it's easy to teach to others. I would highly recommend this book to those who preach, teach or laymen, especially laymen.
Karla Goforth Abreu
This book was extremely encouraging. An easy read, it compels the believer to become genuine and learn from the Master. Cordiero explains the discipline of devotion. I highly recommend this book to new Christians and those searching, also those who are apathetic in their spiritual lives.
Jim Haw
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource to help anyone get started with meaningful daily devotions. Practical and easy to read. I have used Wayne's SOAP method of journaling my devotional thoughts for 10 years. Every morning it truly is like having Jesus as my personal mentor. Can't be better than that!
Arielle
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a big encouragement to me and spoke to my heart. I liked the writers way of speaking and it was convicting without being condescending. Great book overall, I'll definitely go back to read it again in the future!
Karen Salisbury
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes you WANT to read the Bible! It reminds us that all our answers our here – God wants to speak to us every day through His Word. I so appreciate Wayne Cordeiro’s insight and easy-to-understand style in presenting these eternal truths to us in 21-century language.
Carlyn Cole
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. I'm not sure you could make a more compelling case for the priority of God's Word in the life of the believer. Plus he makes it practical. Read it, but more importantly, put it into practice.
Jason Mays
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book which challenged me to dig deeper in my devotional time. It also gives a great approach to lead people to engage the Word and others in small settings for max opportunity to grow spiritually.
Matt Siewert
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cordeiro gives such great insight into the importance of setting aside DAILY time with God. The beauty of scripture is that allows us to learn from the mistakes and successes of others. He gives practical steps to developing routines and illuminates old truths.
Ryan Fisher
This book explains Cordeiro's approach to Bible reading and journaling using his SOAP acronym.
It is a really motivational book in terms of expressing the reasons to have daily time with God and the Scripture, observation, application, prayer model is short and sweet.
Edgar Soltero-flores
I read this with about 6 other people from church. But spent more time digesting it with 1 of those 6 people. I got some useful techniques for reading the bible in a "devotional" style. I have passed on that form of reading to other folks I've met in the past two or three years.
Patti
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!! Looking for a mentor? Read this book and realize you have the greatest mentor available to you 24/7!

When you start sitting at the Lord’s feet and listening to His Word, eventually his thoughts become our thoughts and his ways become your ways!
Sinhui
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome book, full of great testimonies of Wayne Cordeiro and lessons how we can find mentors from the Bible.
Kim Zimmerman
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
really really enjoyed the direction to live our lives in devotion to devotions. would love to sit and meet with this pastor someday
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds
  • Full Steam Ahead!: Unleash the Power of Vision in Your Work and Your Life
  • On Being a Servant of God
  • Renovation of the Church: What Happens When a Seeker Church Discovers Spiritual Formation
  • Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian
  • Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions (David Seamands Series)
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Experiencing the Presence of God: Teachings From the Book of Hebrews
  • Brokenness: The Heart God Revives
  • Fields Of Gold
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
“The more you continue to read Scripture, the more you begin to think as He thinks and act as He acts. And that’s how, over time, you gain the wisdom of the ages.” 4 likes
“Remember that suffering will change you, but not necessarily for the better. You must choose to grow better not bitter.” 2 likes