Start by marking “The Blooding” as Want to Read:
The Blooding

The Blooding

Maris' summer job as an au pair in England starts out well. But when she discovers the truth about her employer, the truth about his transformations and his plans for her, Maris must make the most terrifying decision of her life.
Published October 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Blooding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blooding

Start your review of The Blooding
Liz
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Talk about bloody boring! I wanted to like Maris, really I did. She's a teenager whose mother should never be allowed anywhere near an impressionable child. She's told Maris over and over again how worthless she is (never outright but by dismissing her and her abilities). The slightest mistake Maris makes is held up as the failing of a lifetime and something she should be flogging herself over for years to come. The one big mistake she makes truly is a bad one, but I can understand why it happen ...more
The dust jacket claims that Windsor wrote this in the gothic tradition. Frankly, it's more in the tradition of cheap, '70s knock-off gothic - thinly written and emotionally inscrutable. Or possibly someone changed the definition of gothic to simply "naive governness travels to country estate, develops inexplicable crush on man of the house" while I wasn't looking? Oy. Underdeveloped, with a "romance" that's actually rather squicky when you think about it.
Tizzy
Apr 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: .everybody
loved the book.evening the title was good.you can really feel what maris is feeling.how her mother throws negative words at her and makes her feel bad.it has a very intense plot, though the book is dragged out in parts.Also, the feeling of lonliness Maris feels after being blooded and being sent back to America can leave the reader felling sympathetic. I will certainly look for the other books by this author.
Rocksaregreat17
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any sci fi fans or anyone
Recommended to Rocksaregreat17 by: my sister
one of my all time favorite books
please concider reading
you can get it at the library

Kyla Stan
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites when I was sixteen and I am so happy I found it years later. The transformation from wolf to girl makes the character have a coming of age experience and also represents a blossoming sexuality within a love struck teenager. She emerges stronger, smarter, and confident from a dark experience.
Fasen
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Night forest, this is where I belong, your dark shadow child moving through the spaces between trees, knowing your every scent, dear forest, wet earth, mother of my wild heart...
My humanness has scampered away like a frightened toad. This knowledge of who I now am plows me, deepens me, pushes me through time. I know everything. I know where the fox and deer have walked, where the turtle crawled, where the badger crept. I know the hapiness of the hunt."
Maris goes to England in order
Megan
A good, suspenseful YA book. Unfortunately, I figured out the mystery... but that's what I get for reading books meant for girls more than 20 years younger than me ;)

I loved that this book is dark and creepy ~ not supernatural creepiness, persay (although there is some of that.) But the creepiness of the adults in the story. Some of them are just ~ not bad, but not exactly good people, either. I would have loved for Windsor to explore certain characters and their motivations a little more ~ per
Madeline
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Possibly one of the more messed up books I have read. A young girl leaves home for the first time, anxious to get away from her controlling and unsupportive mother. She gets work as an au pair in England for the summer, taking care of kids whose mother suffers unexplained TATT (tired all the time) syndrome. At first her new job is perfect, but soon things start to awry.
This is not a good book for the faint of heart or those sensitive abuse, as the main character is manipulated throughout the no
Jaena Rae
Very strange, but I had a flashback of this book as I was falling asleep last night. I thought about the strange relationship between middle-aged Derek and his young American au pair. I also recalled it had something to do with werewolves.

By morning, I could remember most of the book. I probably read this when I was around 12 or 13, when I'd just hit puberty and I found most older men vaguely disturbing. Perhaps that is why this book still resonates for me.

The book is all right. Int
Becki
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I found this book in the back of our school library mannnyy many years ago.

The version I found had a cover of a white wolf with a reflection in his eyes which instantly got my attention.

It was a book that really paved the way for my love of werewolves. The book starts off slowly and really drags you in and I really did feel quite sorry for his wife.

I highly recommend this book, its stuck with me after all these years and thats saying a lot with my memory! I even went and
Chrissy
This book was... interesting. It's in a very strange place somewhere between really predictable and completely the opposite. On the whole I enjoyed reading it, although the more I read the more annoyed I got with Maris. And for me the ending was a little unsatisfying; it seemed a bit rushed, maybe? One minute you're in the middle of the action, and the next it's all over. On the whole though I enjoyed reading this more than I thought I would.
Bonnie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was the first book on my Goodreads list when I started my account more than 3 years ago. I finally got to it. I didn't feel close to the characters, they seemed very distant. And I don't know about you, but if someone turned me into a werewolf, I think I'd have stronger feelings than Maris had. She seemed very immature.
Caitlin
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Pacing was a bit slow in the beginning, and didn't pick up all that much throughout the rest of the story. It was also a little tiring having to wait till the last quarter of the book or less to find out the "deep dark secret," despite older readers being able to deduce the secret on their own early on. However, overall an enjoyable read.
Kezia
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
i say more like a 3.5 but i put four stars. i think that this is a good werewolf story and i LOVE the ending; super unexpected. not perfect though cuz i kinda thought it needed a little more depth to the characters. good description though.

i recommend this book to anyone who loves a new and creative werewolf tale.
La Coccinelle
Mar 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Maybe it's just me, but I found Maris' character a little disturbing. I didn't find her likeable at all. I also found the story somewhat corny. I am new to the werewolf genre of books, but I would wager to guess that there are better ones out there.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
After reading Nightwood I was expecting this to be just as scary and awesome. It wasn't. It was decent but it lacked that thrill ride aspect that I live for.
Veronica Henry
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Patricia Windsor and it was really good. This book was about werewolfs and it was better than any other book I read that included werewolfs.
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
A great book, well written and plenty of surprising twists.
Stacy Simpson
Jul 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is a book about werewolves. I found it repulsive because the story is about a grown man tryin to hook up with a 14 year old girl REPUGNANT!
Barrett Uhler
Aug 05, 2014
Eliene
May 19, 2011
Jamie
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2009
Sep 06, 2012
Christa
May 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)
  • Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son, #1)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)
  • Renegade's Magic (Soldier Son, #3)
  • Forest Mage (Soldier Son, #2)
  • The Seven Daughters of Eve: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Ancestry
  • The Neverending Story
  • Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
  • Daring to Dream (Wildwood Stables, #1)
  • Playing for Keeps (Wildwood Stables, #2)
  • The Potion Diaries (Potion, #1)
  • Eight Keys
  • ...Walkers
  • Deep Secret
  • Out Are the Lights
  • The Orchard
  • The Prisoner (The Witches #1)
Patricia Windsor is the author of many books for young readers. Her book The Sandman's Eyes won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Juvenile Mystery. Patricia Windsor lives and writes in Maryland.