Start by marking “Little Brothers” as Want to Read:
Little Brothers

Little Brothers

It has been five years since Kip Howard saw his mother killed horribly by a blur of "little brown things." Five years of nightmares and a terror of dark places. Five years of struggling to overcome what must have been just his imagination...

But the 'untcigahumk', the Indian word for ""little brothers"," are no one's imagination. hideous forest creatures who feed every five
Published March 1st 1988 by Zebra (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Little Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Brothers

Martin
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Strong narrative but sometimes too slow and too predictable. I still had fun with it, though.
Maicie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-in-2011
I didn’t care for this story at all. I didn’t for one minute believe the characters could exist and a couple characters were created simply to be killed off later.

There were way too many holes in the tale, as well. There was one scene where the main character was filling a tin cup that “was so badly twisted it barely held a mouthful (of water), and some of that spilled out…” He tipped the cup of water to his friend’s mouth “whose throat made loud gulping noises.” Later, he used the same cup to
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Well it's difficult to review this book. Some parts were quite good and others were just awfuly treated.

The main character is a 12-year-old boy called Kip who was the lone witness of his mother's death (even if he doesn't remember plainly) five years before of this story. Everyone else thinks she was killed by homeless guy. The only person who knows differently is a alcoholic indian called John Watson that the true culprits are The untcigahunk or "Little Brothers".

This book goes for about 500 p
DJMikeG
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A good, not great book by the late Rick Hautala. While the story is decent, it is massively bloated. Hautala seems like an overwriter, he took what could have been a very suspenseful, brisk 400 page novel and stretches it to nearly 600 pages. There are entire paragraphs about what people are having for lunch. Still, its entertaining and there are several excellent passages.
Michael
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I mentioned previously how much I love Amazon's Kindle? Well, if I haven't, let me state it now—I love Amazon's Kindle. Why? Because so many authors are releasing their long out-of-print books to the digital device. Rick Hautala is one of these authors.

I first read Little Brothers when it was published in 1988. I loved it then, and during the course of moves, my dog-eared, well-read copy had become so used and abused it was falling apart to the point where I was afraid to read it again. So
Mika Lietzén
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
The woods of Maine hide a race of verocious small creatures in Little Brothers (1988), a novel by Rick Hautala. A promising idea ruined by its lacklustre execution, the novel's cheesiness is its only saving grace.

The cast of characters is led by Kip Howard, a 12-year-old who was the lone witness to his mother's death in the jaws of the creatures five years earlier. Kip alone knows the truth, everyone else including Kip's father Bill thinks she was killed by roaming vagrants. The surviving family
Stephen
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book, like so many of Rick Hautala, was well written with great characters and reminiscent of many of our childhoods. The story of a twelve year olds hunt for his mother's killers, in the form of hideous creatures from Native American folklore. With the help of his new found friend in the local town drunk. Both learn lessons from each other, as they pursue the untcigahumk, (Indian for little brothers). Highly recommended read
Jodie Pounders
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I first read it the summer I joined the Navy. I was right out of high school and staying at my grandmother's house in Alabama. She lived out in the country and I remember staying up late each night in the dead of silence reading the most scary book to date. I loved the little brothers and would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to be scared.
Brock
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I have always been a fan of Rick Hautala and this was a story that did not disappoint. Life is very busy at the moment and I am about to do a big transition so this was a perfect book for me to read during this time. Very well structured story and I loved the Stephen King influence on this one - where this is a demonic presence and an awful human - both of whom are causing major issues. Also a protagonist that is a 12 year old boy always warms my heart. Fun Maine horror for su ...more
David Sinter
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Please keep in mind when reading this, I read this book when I was 14 and 14-year-old me loved it. In fact, it was the first book that I read multiple times; including one time on a camping trip. NOTE: I do not recommend reading about vicious creatures who stand along the tree line at night staring at you while you are on a camping trip. While I can't guarantee that adult me would still love it as much as 14-year-old me did, it did give 14-year-old me more than one nightmare.
Rebecca Rogers
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
good, bit the ending just kind of stopped. kind of seams like there would be a second one.
Dave
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zebra-horror
The summer of Hautala continues with his fourth novel Little Brothers. A nice blend of horror and growing up tale, this story is about a boy who witnessed the murder of his mom 5 years ago by dangerous wood creatures. Now the creatures are back and he is forced to confront his fear and them. I liked this story quite a bit, it's reminded me a lot of the 80s films dealing with creatures and young kids from back then. While not nearly as scary as his previous novels there is a nice bit of character ...more
Lisa
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A boy faces his worst fears and comes out on the other side much stronger for it. 5 years ago Kip saw something so horrible that his mind could not comprehend what he was seeing. 5 years of therapy and he is no closer to understanding what he saw. His older brother works hard to make life harder for him and his father is working so hard to keep the family together that he isn't really a part of the family. The Little Brothers or Untcigahunk are back and pets and people are going missing. With th ...more
Arthur
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was published circa 1988 while obviously the cheesy Hollywood made movies with great character plots much like this one, Rick Hautala only does better in this story. Having followed a kind of Indian myth of the little brothers I look forward to reading other titles of Rick Hautala stories.
Steven
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rick-hautala
This book was very creepy. I read this book while spending the night in my mother's trailer home up in the back woods of Maine. This book along with the creaky sounds of that trailer definitely kept me on edge. I highly recommend this book.
David
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Always LOVED this. Must have been a decade ago when I found it, but it's a classic.
Heidi Francis
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Cara
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in my early twenties, if even, and it scared the crap out of me. Maybe that isn't saying much, I don't know. but the book is definitely worth the read.
Shantell
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel awful but I didn't actually finish this. The writing was redundant and the characters started to piss me off. I got halfway through but couldn't finish it.
Gwennie

• House of Illusions
  • Act of Love
  • Cat's Cradle (Cat, #1)
  • Moonfall
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • The Count of Eleven
  • The 37th Mandala
  • Santa Steps Out
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2013 Edition
  • In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1)
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
AKA A.J. Matthews

Rick Hautala has more than thirty published books to his credit, including the million copy, international best-seller Nightstone, as well as Twilight Time, Little Brothers, Cold Whisper, Impulse, and The Wildman. He has also published four novels—The White Room, Looking Glass, Unbroken, and Follow—using the pseudonym A. J. Matthews. His more than sixty published short stories hav