Start by marking “Attainable Sustainable: The Lost Art of Self-Reliant Living” as Want to Read:

Attainable Sustainable: The Lost Art of Self-Reliant Living

Packed with delicious recipes, natural remedies, gardening tips, homemaking ideas, crafts, and more, this indispensable lifestyle reference from the popular blogger behind Attainable Sustainable makes earth-friendly living fun, real, and easy.

Published March 24th 2020 by National Geographic Society

Win a Copy of This Book

• Attainable Sustainable by Kris Bordessa
    Release date: Mar 24, 2020
    Whether you live in a city, suburb, or the country, this essential guide for the backyard homesteader will help you achieve a homespun life--from ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 15 copies available, 1120 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 15, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Attainable Sustainable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attainable Sustainable

Start your review of Attainable Sustainable: The Lost Art of Self-Reliant Living
    Andrex
    Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

"The changes came slowly but they came." SO SO true. This, what some would call simpler, not to mention healthier, lifestyle does not happen overnight. It is a gradual process.

PLEASE NOTE that this book is NOT for those who are already living the self-sustaining lifestyle and technically know it all. This book is for those who want to get 'on the road' to a better life, step by step.

Colorful photos are scattered throughout the book. Whilst I have dehydrated food for years I have never braved
    Meg - A Bookish Affair
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
    I began reading "Attainable Sustainable" just as we started staying home from work due to the threat of covid-19. We have a lot of time on our hands now and a lot of time to try out some of the tips found in this book. This book is jam packed with ideas of how you can make yourself more self-sustainable. While the idea of self-sustainability itself may be daunting, this book breaks a bunch of initially complicated-seeming things into super approachable steps. Author Kris Bordessa acts as a ...more
    Patty
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Attainable Sustainable is basically a guide for living more like people did before the advent of packaged food and the throw away society we now inhabit. Grow your own food, preserve it, learn to reuse what you have, can you sew? knit? crochet? Many of these skills used to be taught in school but no longer are back in the dark ages when I went to high school I was required to take Home Ec. Now its an elective. Skills like canning and fermenting are fun to learn and can lead to a lifestyle that ...more
    Angi Schneider
    Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    A few weeks ago I received a copy of Attainable Sustainable: The Lost Art of Self-Reliant Living by Kris Bordessa. I received a review copy and this is my honest review.

The book is published by National Geographic so, of course, its absolutely beautiful. The book is hardbound but still lays flat, which is something I really appreciate in books that have recipes that I'm trying to follow along with. Everything about this book is high quality.

But more importantly, its filled with simple,
    Living My Best Book Life
    Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: environment
    Attainable Sustainable is a great book for those who enjoy being outside and in the garden. I love planting and growing vegetables and herbs in my garden and I learned so much.

The book is perfect for beginners. If you have never planted your own garden, you will learn so much. The great thing about this book is that it shows you pictures and details the best environment to have successful growth.

It also has so many other great ideas like DIY home supplies. It's so empowering to learn how much
    Debbi
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Similarly to the moral from 'The Town Mouse and Country Mouse' from Aesops Fable, Ms. Bordessa's Lost Art of Self-Reliant living is a testament to living sustainably with what we have, can grow, and make, rather than succumbing to the omnipresent societal fear we literally buy into that more is always better.

From the incredible full page photography to the clean, colorful page layouts, there's something for everyone. This inevitably will speak volumes to first-timers who want to dip their toes
    Ke’alohi  W.
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Everything you need to start your path to a more self-sustainable life. Kris covers all of the bases, from gardening to homemade cleaning supplies to fermenting.
    Leslie
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Beautiful book and just perfect for me, over here wondering how to do a little more for ourselves during the global pandemic. I am so glad I bought it. Really well done.
    Libby

• The Forgotten Letters of Esther Durrant
    • The Easy Filipino Cookbook: 100 Classics Made Simple
    • The Third Code
    • Unlikely Witnesses
    • Perilous Days (Brave Hearts Book 1)
    • The Adventures of Wren and Frog Box Set (The Adventures of Wren and Frog, #1-4)
    • Lost in the Mangroves (The Adventures of Wren and Frog Book 2)
    • Missing in the Mountains (The Adventures of Wren and Frog Book 1)
    • Sailing into the Storm (The Adventures of Wren and Frog)
    • A King Under Siege (The Plantagenet Legacy, #1)
    • Max's Royal Adventure (Shadows from the Past, #16)
    • The Treasure Hunt
    • Lone Wolf
    • The Road to Delano
    • Little Wonders: A Novel
    • And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
    • The Last Brother
    • The Least of These
    Ive been a freelance writer for a dozen years or more and have authored several books. A conversation with a friend got me thinking about creating a blog. I wanted to help readers take small steps toward a more self-reliant lifestyle, embracing some of the vintage skills that have been lost over the past few generations.

I launched Attainable-Sustainable.net in 2011 to answer the question: What if