Start by marking “The Spook's Tale (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
The Spook's Tale (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4.5)

The Spook's Tale

(The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #4.5)

This is 3 stories inside, one about Alice and grimmalkin and those two that hav been published with 3 additional stories in the stort story collection as Spooks`s Stories witches (uk) or A Coven of witches (us) but with the additions World book day story Spooks`s tale included in this edition.
The Last Apprentice series follows the terrifying adventures of the Spook's
Published April 28th 2009 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Spook's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spook's Tale

Start your review of The Spook's Tale (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4.5)
Amanda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of Delaney's Last Apprentice series, I had to check this book out. But readers beware: this book was published for World Book Day, and was not meant (as some have mistakenly believed) to be a continuation of the series but rather, a supplement to the series and introduction for newcomers to the Last Apprentice universe.

The book consists of three short stories and a small "gallery of villains" which includes a brief description and passage from other novels about certain villains
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is more of an interlude or a supplement to The Last Apprentice series. It is well written and interesting nonetheless, but not as fantastic as a full-fledged book would have been. Although we don't have a long wait "Clash of the Demons" comes out the end of August '09.

There are three stories in this book. The first details how the Spook became a Spook. This story was okay; it gives you some background around the Spook. Nothing that is really surprising, but a decent story.

The second
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it

So much fun to see the other apprentices!

Review to come.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Ami
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it
While not a book that can stand on it's own, "The Spook's Tale" is a good addition to the Last Apprentice series. In these three short stories three characters' backgrounds are shared. My favorite by far is Grimalkin, the witch assassin. Because really, don't the words "witch assassin" sound super cool and just a little bit scary?

I wish these stories were longer with greater detail. I felt they only skimmed the surface and left me wanting more. Delaney is a plot driven author, so these insights
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
The tale of how The Spook starts his own apprenticeship, a glimpse into when Alice first encountered Mab, and the history of Grimalkin.

Didn't add much of substance, but an interesting glimpse into the lives and histories of some of our favorites from the series. (Of course, I'm more interested in Gregory's story about why he left the priesthood but, as we're told, that's a story for another time... )
Arnela
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tales
I knew this book wasn't a continuation of the series, I knew that it contained some short stories that involved the characters and their adventures, but I also wasn't sure when exactly to read it. I wasn't sure if it was all simply backstories of the characters involved or if was a sort of hindsight view into some of their actions pertaining to a certain book or books in the series.

I was happy that the tone of the book hadn't changed from the tone used in the main series. The first story,
Duffy Pratt
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, horror
The largest portion of this book is a short story written from John Gregory's point of view, detailing his first encounter with witches and boggarts several years before he became a spook's apprentice. It was a decent story, but contained nothing that I found surprising or revelatory. The writing style was solid and comfortable, and it was good to be back in Delaney's misbegotten county.

The second story I enjoyed a bit more, largely because I love Alice's manner of speech. It tells of the time
Eden
This is part of The Last Apprentice series, but not a main entry in the series. Instead the book has three stories from three of the characters of the series. The first tale is John Gregory's, next is Alice and the last is Grimalkin, the Witch Assassin.

John Gregory's tale is about when he was younger and exactly how he became a Spook. As is known from the other books, he was older when he finally decided to begin his training as a Spook. This tale explains exactly how he met his master and
Lynchan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: avid fan/s of this book series
Recommended to Lynchan by: actually, the temptation caused by free reading
First of all, I would like to thank POWERBOOKS for having err giving us me the opportunity to read this book for FREE! c:
What a very generous bookstore! From the bottom of my heart... I Thank You ~teary-eyed~

Well, this story tells about a very, very, very short tale (Just little/tiny details) about the childhood days of the Spook. It was a story on how he met the dude (sorry I forgot the name. I have a weakness when it comes to memorizing people's namesakes, and yeah, even the fictional ones)
Michael Cavil
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The last apprentice spooks tales a fantastic book taking a new perspective of a famous character in the series Gregory. Now for people who don't know who Gregory he is was the spook for Tom the main character in the last apprentice books. In this book you'll see how Gregory grew up and he became a spook by telling through 3 short stories about how he became a spook. The first stories was about how when he was a kid that h had a gift to see ghost same as his brother but he doesn't come into play ...more
Mailis Viiand
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the few authors that can force me to read scary stories and enjoy them. I`m otherwise inclined to skip the gore and blood and `things that go bump in the night`, but Delaney keeps things so exciting and action packed that i just want to know what happens to the weirdly sympathetic people in the Spook series, and so i read these horror books and cant wait for the new ones to come out. And so what if im a bit jumpy after reading them and if youd jump out of a closet and yelled boo at some ...more
Ruby
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book has a very strong and intriguing start, but begins to wane midway because it is actually a “trailer” book of sorts. While it got me interested in reading the five books that make up this edition, I find it frustrating that I have to seek out the full stories because the jacket of this book makes it appear that the book is a collection of short stories rather than a compilation of clips and partial stories. So, while I liked “The Spook’s Tale”, I was left with a feeling of irritation ...more
Kat
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt like the stories were too short, and not necessarily the story I was most interested in. I was more interested in Alice's past than what happened in the couple of days that she was separated from Tom. That story just felt obvious and unnecessary. We could have at least spent a little more time with Agnes, learning about what had happened in the couple of years since Alice had left, or even just getting to know her and Alice more, instead. Similarly, I was more interested in the story of ...more
Natasha Wessells
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but the tale of Alice I didn't like much. The sentences were very short making me a little frustrated while reading because there were extra details. My favorite was the story on Grimalkin, and I enjoyed learning of her past, and how she came to be. The Spook's story helped me understand a little more about him, and since reading that I have grown to like him a little more (don't ask why).
Trudi
Delightfully horrid as usual, but lacking in the depth and breadth of others in the series. This is a quick mash-up of one-off short stories that attempt to fill in the background of some of the major players, like the Spook's early days. Alice's story is disappointingly brief, while the story of how Grimalkin becomes the witch assassin is nasty and terrifying. No mention of Tom's mother either, which was also disappointing.
Joseph Gagnon
A nice start to what is sure to be a short tale. I'm excited about reading these three back stories. I wonder what insight they will hold for the future spook books in the series. This one will bring us some understanding of the Spook's motives and morals. I keep forgetting he was going to be a priest before he became a spook.

Read more and add your own commentary at R. J. Spindle
Anne
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Most fans of the series seem to misunderstand why this book was written. It is not meant to further a story, it's not even part of the 12-part series; it is a World Book Day book. On World Book Day, authors release small supplements to their stories (think of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades). These books are simply companions to the real stories, and are still highly enjoyable.
☠ Michelle ☠
I wish Alice's story concentrated on her years with Bony Lizzie instead of her time in Pendle in Attack of the Fiend (book #4); and that Mr. Gregory's story told about why he quit the priesthood instead of just his first encounter with witches. Grimalkin's story was new to me, but I suspect I will learn more about her in future books, where she plays a more prominent role than she has so far. These stories pass time, but they don't provide any real unknown info.

3* = I Liked It.
Malia
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
As well written as this is, I was left rather disappointed. This is a collection of short stories about the Spook and his past, but many at the end are simply chapters recycled from the actual "Spook's Apprentice" books. It's an okay read, but not a must.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Blaise Armour
Apr 15, 2016 is currently reading it
"The Spook's Tale: And Other Horrors" written by Joseph Delaney, is one of the best books I read. There are several different stories in this book that involve surviving thrilling events. It is very detailed with describing or introducing a thing or person. I'm into horror books so when I saw this, I knew it would be entertaining.
Elias Alexander
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
My favorite story was the first one. There we meet a young gregory 12 years old. He was so cute.
The second story was about Alice. She is just everything. All the things she does for Tom is incredible.
The last story was about Grimalkin again. This was a shorter story of a story we all ready read before.
Andre
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The spook's tale and other horrors
Joseph a 7th of 7th son starts geting nightmares at the age of 7 making a deal with his brother of waking each other up;. when he's 12 he leaves the house to make something of his life when he founds a death apprentice. he has to find shelter because of the rain finding him agin. when he enters a witvhes house and the teacher helps him fight her.
Angie
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is an addition book, aside from the series with different point of view from the spooks, Alice and Grimalkin, and with different style of writing too according to the character.
I hope the author writes another addition book that includes Mam's point of view, I want to read about her story and maybe Meg's too.
Kaye
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
The best short story in this selection is about the witch assassin Grimalkin, and how she won her way into being the most fearsome assassin ever. It's pretty gory and graphic, but awesome all the same. The volume also gives some of John Gregory's past, and how he came to be a spook, as well as some of Alice Dean's background, and exciting clips from previous books.
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, spooky, and rather dark collection of short stories for young readers, who are apparently much, much more fearless than I was as a child. They have excellent art and some likable characters based on old folklore. I enjoy these books as a guilty pleasure, although this one was largely a commercial for the rest of the series.
Erika
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A nice side book telling some bits of the story from other characters' point of view, and some interesting new background info as well. A bit too short and not really surprising to a fan of the series that has read the first four or five books, but still worth it.
Fernando
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a great book but its not a series of books like the others ones. This book is still a great book and sometimes it can give you the chills i never knew aurther but know since I read this. I recommend you reading this
Brett
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fantasy
Some really fantastic "between-the-scenes" stories. The story of how John Gregory first encounters the world of the Spook is especially great. It would be interesting to read some more stories of his early career, before he meets Tom Ward.
Shiela Chan
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Gave this 3 stars because it's too short! I wanted to read more.

It consisted of introduction on Grimalkin the witch assasin, Spook's early life - what he was before he became a spook and some stuff about what Alice did. All of these are too short. Argh!
Heather
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
It was fun to read the back stories of some of the characters. I particularly liked Grimalkin's story. But really, I think the book just serves to keep fans excited while we wait for the next in the series to come out.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vampires, Weres a...: The Last Apprentice/Wardstone Chonicles Month Five 6 12 May 21, 2018 10:46PM

• The Seduction of Lady Phoebe (The Marriage Game, #1)
  • Batman and the Mad Monk
  • Home (Magic Thief, #4)
  • Batman and the Monster Men
  • Batman: Snow
  • Batman: Tales of the Demon
  • Batman: Heart of Hush
  • Batman: Under the Hood, Volume 1
  • Batman: Under the Hood, Volume 2
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • Predator Vs Prey (Going Wild #2)
  • The Outcast (Summoner, #0.1)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • Outcast (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)