Start by marking “Mr. Worry: A Story About OCD” as Want to Read:
Mr. Worry: A Story About OCD

Mr. Worry: A Story About OCD

Kevin can't get to sleep at night until he does many things. He checks under his bed for a light he knows isn't there, and then, a minute later, he checks again. Kevin wants to stop, but the worry thoughts keep coming.
Published January 1st 2003 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Worry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Worry

Start your review of Mr. Worry: A Story About OCD
Jasmine
Very very good book. An excellent, gentle explanation of what OCD can feel like from the inside, and what treatment can look like and what it aims you towards.

And I REALLY appreciated the note to parents at the front, making it clear that OCD is genetic, it's caused by a chemical imbalance, and saying "don't worry about it" is NOT going to help, and that your kid is not trying to be annoying by constantly asking you about obsessions, it is just about out of their control. And treatment helps to
Denise Phillips
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a mom of a worrier, I found this to be an excellent story to share with my daughter.
Beth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
An excellent book to help young children understand OCD and the treatment. Main character Kevin, 8 years old, realizes he is worrying about a lot of things. The book successfully explains OCD in simple terms. Recommended.

Read for FSU class LIS 5564 Info needs of children.
Christina Bartell
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOT a read aloud for the whole class!!!! However, a good option for a parent to read aloud if their child is suffering.
Tabitha Scott
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great to introduce this sort of topic to children so they can be informed and they can easily understand the topic.
Morgan
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't give this book a five because there are a lot of different perspectives of OCD, that are not just like this boy. With that being said, I think that it did a really good job addressing the fears of a child suffering with this disease, and the daily struggle that happens in the mind of a victim.

It gives an interesting, personal view, and I really like that. It gives a new level rather than dealing with it by another person's view point.
Erin
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Story of a young boy diagnosed with OCD. He visits a therapist who helps him understand his obsessions and compulsions and the importance of learning to control them. The book doesn't go much into the boy's thoughts or emotions, but rather focuses on education. Would be good for a child recently diagnosed who would benefit from increased knowledge on their diagnosis.
Shelli
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This would be a nice resource for any parent that is concerned that their child may be dealing with some OCD issues. The forward has some information for parents and teachers and the narrative of the story is done well and could be that catalyst for discussing any thoughts that invade your children's mind to frequently.
Bridget
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because my son has OCD which manifest itself with different symptoms than the character in the story does. However, we read it together and I thought it was a gentle and comfortabl way to open discussion about it.
Philip Henry
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is wonderfully insightful. It is a story about a young that worries about everything. No matter how big or small the issue, he worries. The author promotes awareness as it relates to individuals with OCD.
Susan
Helpful gentle book for children with OCD
Lindsay
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Worry called...

AND It changed my life. I might have my husband read this to me before bed. If I had this as a kid I probably would have turned out normal
Liwen
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
故事書有一個小小的副標寫著a story about OCD,跟我一樣的特教人看到了一定很有 Fu~~啦!!這本繪本是在說一個有Obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD)強迫症的小男孩,書裡描述了一些強迫症造成的行為以及這些重複性的行為如何造成他生活的不便,和醫生是如何跟小男孩解釋「用藥」這件事。這種議題在台灣比較少有專門的繪本介紹,所以強力推薦給身旁的特教人!!
Paula Sorensen
Aug 25, 2014
Kevin
Mar 05, 2016
Vicki
rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2016
Julia
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Carmela Full of Wishes
I grew up in Newburgh, New York where I could often be found reading a book under the weeping willow tree. In elementary school, a friend and I picked our library books together, so that we could trade books half way through the week otherwise I would run out of things to read. I loved to read mysteries, historical fiction, about everyday people and even poetry!

While I loved to read, I did not a