Start by marking “Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)

Odriel's Heirs

(Odriel's Heirs #1)

The brave, burning with fire, harnessed the Dragon's Rage....

As the Dragon Heir, seventeen-year-old Kaia inherited the power of flame to protect her homeland from a godlike necromancers undead army. But after centuries of peace, the necromancer has faded to myth, and the Dragon Heir is feared by the people. Persecuted and cast out, Kaia struggles to embrace and control her
Published March 1st 2020 by Amazon KDP

To ask other readers questions about Odriel's Heirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odriel's Heirs

Start your review of Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)
Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews]
Rating: 4 stars to Odriel's Heirs!

Have you courage, girl? the cat asked.
Kaia swallowed. I am the Dragon Heir. Of course I have courage, she whispered.

Kaia Dashul is the ascending, purposeful champion in this stellar, action packed, high-stakes, high-octane, high risk YA fantasy adventure. Opening with the wishes of a young mountain girl, a bedeviled castaway, both doubtful and bold, Hayley Reese Chow brings forth a story charged with trying times of bravery and responsibility that
Paige Green
Disclaimer: I received this book from the author. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Odriels Heir

Author: Hayley Reese Chow

Book Series: Odriels Heirs Book 1

Rating: 3/5

Publication Date: February 23, 2020

Publisher: Indie Published

Pages: 197

Recommended Age: 15+ (violence, some mature scenes)

Synopsis: The brave, burning with fire, harnessed the Dragon's Rage....

Tanja Glavnik
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very kindly received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very solid, lovely fantasy book read. You can certainly see elements of influence from other fantasy stories, but it can stand on its own two legs VERY well and remains distinct from the others. The premise is fairly simple: a "dark lord" was vanquished, or at the very least banished, but he is now rising again, and the descendants who possess the powers to stop him must do so before he actually succeeds. In
Alex
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review.

Odriel's Heirs is a great story. The plot is intriguing and I was hooked and intrigued throughout. The climax was very good and I was on the edge of my seat as I read it. I also love the ending. It was satisfying and heartwarming. What I also like about the story is that everything kept the story moving forward and I didn't see any irrelevant parts.

One minor issue is that I think there can be a bit more showing (and less telling).
Raquel Evans
Overall, I enjoyed this one. There were stretches toward the beginning where I wasn't very engaged with the story, even though I liked the idea of it--to be honest, it was really when the thread of romantic sub-plot showed up that I finally got super invested in the story. ;-)

Other than the slow bits (not really slow, just... not grabbing my interest?) and the bit where she gets life advice that ties everything together for her, that felt a bit cheesy to me, it was a really solid fantasy
Jack Kuhn
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid, fast-paced, high-fantasy story with a bit of a "Dungeons and Dragons" feel to it. Readers who like fantasy stories with strong female protagonists and a lot of detailed action will enjoy this work. As one specific example, if you liked The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (in fact, if you liked anything by Elizabeth Moon) youve got a good chance of liking this. I rated this as 4.5/5 (solid read, a few rough edges).

Disclaimer before I go on: I received a free digital ARC
Rx
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Odriels Heirs is a YA debut novel from Hayley Reese Chow, who Ive had the pleasure of following on twitter these past few months.

Odriel is a god-like character who bestowed gifts to three heirs. There is a time heir, who can heal, a shadow heir, who can become invisible, and a dragon heir, who can control fire. Our main character, Kaia, is the dragons heir.

Being a powerful fire-caster isnt all its cracked up to be though. The common people fear her, and her twin brother resents being born six
Marshall Daley
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Odriel's Heirs is the story of Kaia and Klaus, two of three mystical Heirs to powers designed to fight an army of intelligent undead and their master, Nifras. Along the way, they face corrupt politicians, monsters, and their own insecurities in the face of the mounting enemy army.

This book plays out much like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, but in a world built out like Avatar: the Last Airbender. Chow has drawn from a
Iseult Murphy
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, absorbing young adult fantasy with likable characters and animals!!! So many lovely animals that are a joy to read about and really made the book for me.
Kaia is the dragon heir, holding the fire that is powerful enough to destroy the Lost army of the undead, enslaved to dark magus, Nifras. If shed been born seven minutes later, her fraternal twin, Bram would have inherited the title instead, and the responsibility that it entails. When the Lost attack the land again, Kaia is
Courtney Payne
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To read my full review please go to https://opinionatedbw.blogspot.com/20...

I'll begin by telling you that Odriel's Heirs is a pretty quick read. I had it read within a couple of hours. But it was definitely a consuming read. I did not want to put it down. There was always some conflict or situation occurring that made it compelling and I was impressed that there was not a single slow-moving scene in this book.
Natalie
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a new to me author and I thought the story is very well done.

It's a high fantasy so it has a lot of action packed themes. Throughout the story you can see influences from other fantasy stories.

It does very well on it's own and if you enjoy fast paced fantasy books then I suggest picking this up.
Sara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author provided me with an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book more than I expected to. It told an amazing story and it doesn't read like an author's first novel. While not perfect, it's a solid, enjoyable story. I recommend it to any fantasy reader that finds the premise intriguing. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel's release, which doesn't have a release date, but the author has announced that there will be one.

My full review can be found here
Bam Jam
TW: violence, blood, mild gore, death of a child (not depicted), body horror, suicide, use of torture (not depicted), blood

Disclaimer: I received an ARC copy of this book from the author. Thank you to Hayley Reese Chow for the opportunity to provide an honest review.

Ms. Chow reached out to me with a copy of her novel, and because the premise promises a fun fantasy adventure, I jumped at the chance to give it a try.

What I Liked

-This book gives me such Sabriel vibes in the way the story structured
Lea Leviosa
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Odriel's Heirs is about the adventures of two mystical heirs out of three - the Dragon and Shadow heir to fight an undead army and their master, Nifras. It's all about the difficulty and biggest challenges of 17 y/o girl to defeat the monster.

Reading this book is such riding a roller coaster. Purely amazing! I love the combination of the epic and slow flow between each story. You can feel a variety of emotions too. I like it when you can feel the rage, angst, heart-breaking, loved etc.

Although
Ben Gartner
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book is a wild ride for lovers of YA fantasy. It has it all the badass heroine, intimate character development, epic battles with the undead and shape-shifting demons, and even some good light-hearted humor. This isnt even my preferred genre, but I appreciated how the author could paint a mental picture or turn a phrase. I could tell she had fun writing it and I had fun reading this action adventure novel full of twists and surprises. ...more
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
This book seemed really promising.
I liked the storyline and the plot behind it but I felt like it lacked a bit in a couple of places and was to fast in others. I can't seem to really put my finger on it but I really expected more from it.

I really wanted to connect with all the characters and see relationships blossom but sadly I think the only relationship that blossomed was actually at the end. While I'm very happy they ended up together, I wasn't expecting it. I kept forgetting they weren't
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
When I first started this book, I was dubious if I'd finish it. It was more high-fantasy than I was expecting and in that style, I did find it quite wordy. But I pushed on and I am so glad that I did.

Odriel's Heirs is a tale of finding yourself, standing your ground and fighting for what you believe in. It is a tale of passion, of fear and of love.

Throughout this high fantasy novel we catch glimpses of Kaia in such a vulnerable way. It reminds us how much humanity plays a part in all things.
Abigail
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very sceptical to read a fantasy type book as I usually read romance. But from the onset I was captivated by the tale of Kaia and Klaus and the story unfolding about the heirs.

It is amazing how Hayley Reece Chow manages to mesmerize you from page 1 and every fact you read ties in till the very last page. Nothing is said by chance.

I can absolutely relate to the character of Kaia that is depicted through various stages of adolescences and coming to realize that she is meant to have such a
Danielle
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars.
Check out my review here:
I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for abd honest review.
Pages For Thoughts
This book's fast pace and epic battle in the first few pages surprised me, and I quickly became engrossed in Kaia's story. She had extreme inner conflict and self-hatred and fear of her powers, and I loved her character development as she learned to embrace her fire and her destiny. By the end, her fire and confidence in herself was so powerful that she could be a true goddess. The cover art is beautiful and the fire was beautiful, yet powerful- just like Kaia.

The world-building was incredible
Aizlynne
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Odriel's Heirs is a fantasy, enemies too lovers sweet romance. It was a really well written story with plenty of action and heartache surrounding the blossoming love of the two main characters. I wouldn't quite qualify the ending as a cliffhanger, rather a good segue into book two. The mythology and characters were well developed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Louise
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-books
Originally posted on my blog here!

A fast-paced high fantasy that features many themes, including themes such as finding one's self, insecurity, grief, and passion.

Chow has intricately woven such themes in a way that makes the characters truly realistic and made me hooked. The world-building was also quite descriptive, and made the book have a lot more context to me, stopping me from getting confused- as is often the case for me and high fantasy.

The war scenes also felt more realistic rather than
Kimberly Godwin
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many centuries ago, a great war with the undead ripped Okarria apart. To stop the destruction and restore the balance, the God of Creation, Odriel imbued three humans with unique gifts to pass down through their bloodlines to answer the call to defend the land once again. The Time heir has been blessed with the ability to heal, while the Shadow heir can conceal himself and strike from the shadows and the Dragon heir wields fire to devastating effect. Centuries of peace have brought prosperity to ...more
CM Alsop
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is also available on my blog, if you are so inclined.

I received an advanced review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Introduction

Kaia is the Dragon Heir, as was her father before her, and yields flame to protect the land of Okarria. A necromancer's undead army is threatening the world and she, along with the Time Heir and the Shadow Heir, must defeat him and his hordes of the undead. But they are missing an Heir and must continue on, hoping to find him along the way.
Karen
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Odriels Heirs is a fast-paced story about Kaias quest to defeat Nifras, a demon necromancer who wants to take over the world. Kaia is the Dragon Heir, one of three of Odriels Heirs. Klaus is the Shadow Heir, able to turn invisible when he wants, and Jago is the Time Heir, able to heal anyone. Theyve been told that the only way Nifras can be defeated is if they work together, but when the story begins, we learn that Jago is missing. Throughout the book, Kaia and Klaus have to make do with what ...more
Hannah Snell
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book gives you all the fantasy tropes that you are looking for - slow-burn romance, undead army, evil necromancer, boy who won't call the girl by her first name, both cute and snarky animals, grumbling wizards and imaginative species and place names. All done simply and all done well.

The story itself is very Eddings-lite, with the forces of darkness threatening the land and untested heroes having to come to terms with themselves and overcome their differences in order to try and save
Jolie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy is one of my favorite subjects to read. It is one genre that I will always read. So, when the author contacted me to read/review Odriels Heirs, I accepted. I am glad that I did. Odriels Heirs was a great read!!

The plotline for Odriels Heirs was fast-moving and well written. There were no dropped storylines or characters. There was a little lag right before the last battle, but it didnt affect my enjoyment of the book.

I loved the lore in Odriels Heirs. Zombies, necromancers, mages, and
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review and can confirm all opinions are my own.

When the army of the Lost last roamed the land Odreils heirs; Dragon with the ability to control fire, Shadow with the ability to disappear into thin air and Time with the ability to heal, each used their gifted powers to defeat Nifras. Now the Lost have been seen roaming the land again and the people fear that Nifras will return. Kaia is next in line for the Dragon Heir
PaulaNortin
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dont you mind the synopsis.

Go straight to the ******for a summary.

I have to admit, when I read the blurb of "Odriel's Heirs" I feared it would be another cheap YA romance. Which would be bad because it has dragon's stuff and cursed cats and her author is lovely and had very kindly given me a free copy. Happily for me (and you) the romance is a slow burn and the story stands on it's own without it, which has its own merits.

This is a fantastic book to curl up on the sofa these days. There is a
Prashanti Talluri
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amazing fantasy book, and thoroughly engaging

Odriel is the overall protector of the land but Nifras is bent to return to claim it sooner or later. Odriel's Heirs (Dragon Fire, Shadow and Time) are the guardians of this land. However, the Lost, which are half-dead creatures from hell have breached the southern Yanai border which is usually patrolled by the Heirs and their men.
Kaia, a 17 year old gifted girl has the ability to control Dragon's Fire energy with her hands and propel it towards her

• Dear Edward
  • Dry
  • A Room of One's Own
  • Killer Domes and the Chosen One
  • Pride and Pancakes: Inspired by Pride and Prejudice (Happily Ever Austen Book 1)
  • The Astrid Notes
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Blood of a Promise (Kings of Sterling #1)
  • Ubiety
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Again, but Better
  • 2019 on Goodreads
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)
Hayley Reese Chow has short and flash fiction featured or upcoming in Lite Lit One, The Drabble, Bewildering Stories, Teleport Magazine, and Rogue Blades Entertainments omnibus, AS YOU WISH!

Until recently though, shes mostly done a lot of things that have nothing at all to do with writing. Her hat collection includes mother, wife, engineer, USAF veteran, reservist, four-time All American fencer,