Start by marking “No Ordinary Boy: Dragons, Magic, and King Arthur” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Boy: Dragons, Magic, and King Arthur

No Ordinary Boy: Dragons, Magic, and King Arthur

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  21 ratings  ·  16 reviews
All Merlin knows is the village where he mixes potions for wary customers, and dreams strange dreams that sometimes come true. Then a mysterious hooded man appears, seeking a boy with no mortal father, and Merlin is taken far away, to a crumbling tower and a ruthless king. To a place where his is not the only magic.
About The Tales from the Round Table series: This engag
Published September 17th 2020 by Sweet Cherry Publishing

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ordinary Boy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of No Ordinary Boy: Dragons, Magic, and King Arthur
Vee
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, reviewed-arc
Thank you to NetGalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for granting me access to an e-ARC of “No Ordinary Boy (Book 1, The Legends of King Arthur: Merlin, Magic, and Dragons)” by Tracey Mayhew in exchange for an honest review.

This book focuses on the backstory of Merlin from the Legends of King Arthur, retold by Tracey Mayhew. As someone who doesn’t know the Legends of King Arthur at all, this book provided a good and solid introduction to characters and the world.

It is a fantastic children’s book
Terri
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful adaptation of the first tale of King Arthur. Magical, relatable and enthralling, a perfect introduction to these magical tales.
Nicki
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, arc
This story was all about how the young Merlin was taken from his village by the king’s knights and a very strange hooded man. As you can imagine he was scared and really didn’t know if the people were friends or enemies. I must confess that I don’t know that much about Merlin, except what I’ve seen in the Disney cartoon, so this book was a really lovely introduction for me. I thoroughly enjoyed this and loved reading about Merlin before he was a part of Camelot and King Arthur’s court. I loved g ...more
Carmen
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new take on the story of King Arthur. It doesn’t start with Arthur and his childhood like other Arthurian tales do. This one starts with Merlin’s childhood. He’s an orphan boy in a tiny town where people rely on and are scared of him.

I don’t want to say too much more here, since this is a short book, the first in the series. It’s a good book to read to younger kids as it has great pictures for them to look at and and visualize what’s happening in the story. It is a quick read with you
Katrina Forest
No Ordinary Boy follows the spellcaster Merlin when he’s only a small boy. Merlin has strange powers, which the townsfolk like to take advantage of, but he understands he doesn’t truly fit in, either. Of course, people with magic aren’t apt to just be ignored, so one day, Merlin is taken from his home and begins his epic journey to become the legendary wizard everyone knows by name.

The suggested age for the book is seven to nine years. The length of it and the simplicity of the text leans on the
Rujuta Vaidya
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank NetGalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for giving me access to an e-ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in the series which is a retelling of the adventures of Merlin and King Arthur written for children with amazing illustrations for greater understanding and it also provides a great introduction to these legends.

We start our journey with Merlin's backstory and the path he took before meeting Arthur. Merlin is just a sweet young boy
Jill Jemmett
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merlin is a boy who lives by himself in a small village. He is known as a healer with special powers. One day, a group of knights arrive in the village, looking for a mortal boy who did not have a mortal father. Merlin fits that description. He is brought to the king to save his crumbling castle.

I have read three different adaptations of the King Arthur and Merlin story this year. Each one has been for a different audience and told the story in a different way.

This story is perfect for early mid
Becky
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Merlin was no ordinary eight-year old boy. Like a few other children in his village, he had grown up without parents. Unlike the others, his father had been a demon, and his human mother had abandoned him soon after his birth.

Premise/plot: This new chapter book series by Tracey Mayhew hopes to introduce young readers to the legends of Merlin, Arthur, and the Round Table. This first book introduces young readers to the character of Merlin. Merlin is a young boy still. He's still
Soumya Gudiyella
No Ordinary Boy is about eight-year-old Merlin. Merlin’s father is a demon and his mother is human. Merlin has magical powers. He can brew potions to cure the ailments of the people in his village. He can also glimpse into the future. The village folk fear Merlin. ⠀

One day, King Vortigern’s Knights come for Merlin. Along with them is a hooded figure. They capture Merlin and take him to the King. The King wants to build a magnificent tower but his plans are ruined whenever the workers make progr
Meredith
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an e-ARC from NetGalley for an honest review**

I've always been a fan of Merlin and Arthurian legends, so I was excited to get the opportunity to read and review this book. It's listed as being for middle grade readers, but even as an adult I was excited to see what was coming next. I know it's the first in a series, but I still wanted just a little bit more from this first book.

Good illustrations, but nothing overly unique or outstanding. While I liked the book, I didn't love it. Th
Sarah Hudson
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book introduces us to a young Merlin, of Arthurian legend fame, who does not yet realise his power or the destiny that awaits him. Having been sought out by Knights, we travel with Merlin to meet King Vortigern, who needs Merlin’s help… although not in the way that either of them expect.

This is a great introduction to the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The illustrations were good, and the story was engaging enough for us to look forward to the next installment.

M
Alley W.
No Ordinary Boy is the first book in a series about the legends of King Arthur. This book focuses on Merlin as a boy. He is a strange boy who has abilities to see things that have not yet occurred. This ability is in fact due to being the son of a demon. He is taken from his billiards to complete a quest to help the king at the time. The pictures in this book add to the story and make it accessible to younger readers. This book is an interesting take on Merlin and his origins.
Cat
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice intro to Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table! It's a good intro to the stories for middle graders. I think the series should draw them right in as so many stories these days have older characters(gods, demons, etc...). Kids love magic in any story and the Arthur tales won;t disappoint. Good start!

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Janet
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a good quick read for children who would like to explore the Arthurian legend from the very beginning. I see that this is just book 1 so I'll happily await book 2 in the series! ...more
Andréa
Aug 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Emma
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, engaging re-write of the legend of Merlin.
Kelsey McLane

• A Christmas Carol
  • A Garden in Your Belly: Meet the Microbes in Your Gut
  • Worse Than Weird
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen Children's Stories)
  • The New Girl
  • The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • The Prison Doctor
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • Even If We Break
  • The Lucky Ones
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
I'm an independent author who writes small town contemporary, sweet romance.

I also write and independently publish YA fantasy under the name T. J. Mayhew.

You can find me on: