Start by marking “Guide Star” as Want to Read:
Guide Star

Guide Star

Stella won't give up, but she doesn't know how to go on.

Stella North, a rising star in the police, has her life torn apart by a gunman's bullets. She has often faced danger, but these injuries mean she must give up the job she loves. Her grandmother Beth is her rock. And Beth is no ordinary woman. At 70, she runs marathons and has a past that Stella knows very little
Audiobook
Published January 31st 2020 (first published April 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Guide Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guide Star

Start your review of Guide Star
Louise Wilson
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella North was a rising star in the police but her life was torn apart after being shot. Her injuries meant she must give up her job.

Stella's grandmother Beth is her rock. Beth is seventy years old and still runs marathons. She has had an exciting that Stella knows very little about. Will Stella overcome the challenge of her new life and will her grandmother resolve the turmoil of her past.

The story cleverly combines Stella's recovery and Beth's past together. The characters are both
Jen
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not one of Joy Ellis' crime series, although it is set in the fens and the main character was with the police until serious injuries changed her life course.

As much as I've love Ellis' fen series, this book doesn't fall in my typical choice of genre. It is classified as Women's Fiction. I didn't dislike it by any means, but I was hoping for more of Nikki Galena and her crew.

I was already familiar with urban exploration and urban decay from seeing photos on different sites for the last
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My very first audiobook and by default my first audiobook review so I will start by saying I don't have anything to compare it to so this is completely unbiased and my own personal opinion.

Stella is a successful detective, happy with her life until she wakes up in hospital. She is lucky to be alive but was shot in the head and side so she has brain damage and a long road to physical recovery and an even longer one to mental wellbeing.

Her life as it was is in shreds she can no longer do the job
Susan Angela Wallace
Guide star by joy ellis.

Who do you turn to when life goes wrong?

Stellas life has changed forever. Her only support is her amazing grandmother, Beth. But Beth also faces the biggest challenge of her life.

Stella North, a rising star in the police, has her life torn apart by a gunmans bullets. All her life she has faced danger, but these injuries mean she must give up the job she loves. Her grandmother Beth is her rock. And Beth is no ordinary woman. At seventy, she runs marathons and has an
Vicki - I Love Reading
Wowzers, I enjoyed that one. 5 super starts from me.
This is certainly a change from all the other books I have read from Joy Ellis, but a brilliant change too.
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book.
Stella North was a police officer until she was shot. This book is Stella's journey on trying to rebuild her life, trying to adapt to all that she has lost and trying to find herself again.
Memory loss, mood swings are just a couple of the things that Stella has to endure on a
Joyce
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Stella wakes up in the hospital. She is told she has been shot. Beth, her grandmother, is by her side.

Recovery is difficult and Stella is heartbroken at the prospect of giving up her policing job. She considers suicide. Meanwhile, Beths old friend, Michael Lindenfeld, returns from Germany. She tells Stella about their relationship. Beth is a remarkable woman. She still runs marathons and engages in other very active pastimes.

Michael is a neuropsychologist whose specialty is brain
Natasha du Plessis
This book was about getting on your feet again after a traumatic experience, it is also about second chances. This was the first time that I've heard about urban exploration and decay photography and this part of the story was really intriguing, this is something that I also now want to explore a bit further in the future. Joy Ellis is a gifted story teller and not once in the book did I wish for it to end. Lots of twists and turns that keeps you glued to the pages with really likable down to ...more
Greta Halliday
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fascinating and riveting storyline which had me engrossed from the first chapter. I love this authors style of writing, she totally connects with her readers.Thanks also to the publishers who allowed me access to this book. 5* without hesitation, this book comes highly recommended.
Andrew
Having read many of the crime fiction novels by Joy Ellis, I was keen to see how she writes this slightly different genre.

I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the fact that Stella, the main character is an ex-detective. I also liked the use of DI Rowan Jackman and DS Marie Evans as characters within this story.

The journey of self-discovery for Stella following a life changing injury is cleverly knitted in with the story of Beth, her grandmothers past.

This is not a genre which I read frequently,
Kim Sinclair
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a different book to the other Joy Ellis books I have read but really enjoyable and heartwarming.
Joy's writing flows so easily that it makes it easy to follow the story and become involved, unlike some authors' works that make the reader have to stop and re-read a section to get the gist of what is being said.
Keep writing, Joy! I love your work!
Marion
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though Joy Ellis is known for her crime fiction this book is a departure from this genre.
It is filled with likeable, believable characters whose stories intertwine. The main one is about Stella, a police officer shot in the line of duty and her efforts to come to terms with the fact that her life has changed and she must give up the job she loves.
Her recovery is aided by her grandmother Beth and friends from the past together with a forgotten passion for exploring and photographing derelict
Carole Gourlay
OMG how I loved this book. As an avid crime reader, this was such a lovely book, and it made a difference to read something without dead bodies!!! I'm not a huge fan of romance, but this is a beautiful, well written sort of romance with oodles of compassion, if you see what i mean, without the slush.

I really warmed to the characters, and especially Beth who is an all round good egg, highly intelligent and probably has a few regrets in her life. Michael is a lovely man who comes back into her
Ann
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely wonderful book. Joy Ellis has captured the heartache, distress and depression of a life changing accident and walked Stella through her recovery to a new understanding of what life can be. Stella was sure her life ended along with her career as a police officer when she was shot in the head. Her grandmother Beth will not allow her to wallow in self pity and brings her home and loves and heals her with exercise. Beth recruits help from an old flame who is a doctor and Tom, an ...more
Vanessa
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-x
Another Great book; Guide Star from Joy Ellis. This is not a book from her crime Detective Series she has out at the moment. I am a avid reader of a good crime book and not a fan of romance etc however I found this book beautifully written and a lovely read. I really warmed to all the characters and enjoyed the way Joy told the story of their lives.
I found this book hard to put down once I read a few pages.

Thank you to Joffe publishers and Joy for letting me have an advanced copy of this book.
Doreen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Fabulous!

Stella North, former partner of Robbie in the Jackman/Evans wonderful series gets her own story. It is a story of surmounting physical and mental difficulties and finding a new direction in life. It is brilliant, emotional, tearful, and extremely satisfying. I recommend it very highly. I usually read only mysteries and author Joy Ellis was my reason to read it. It was an excellent decision on my part
Peter Winstone
Very Good but ... No Cigar!

I have read all of Joy Ellis' other books & have rated them all as 5star & Joy as a first class author, up there with the best. This book is also extremely well written & does hold you but the characters are all a bit too perfect, sometimes a little bit "sickly". In her detective novels the characters are not always so perfect & of course there are "villains" to maintain a balance. Other than that, ... a good read.
Books 'n' All  Promotions
This book is a deviation from the usual crime fiction that Joy writes and I was therefore unsure what to expect.

The book begins when Stella is in the hospital recovering from gunshot wounds and that is where the suspense begins on what develops as a rollercoaster ride through every emotion you have. Joy has very cleverly managed to portray the characters so the reader really gets into their head and can feel all the emotions. It is gripping and the reader just turns page after page until the
Marie Shirley Griffin
Not my favorite of her work

This is a fuzzy, feel good book. Literally "rainbows and unicorns".

Ms. Ellis does pull in figures from her Marie Evans/DI Jackman series. It's nice to know that Robbie Melton came from here, really couldn't remember.

Anyway, it's a "real feel good about the world" book. Not my cupo'tea, but a change of pace from my regular fare.
Dana E. Tracy
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guide Star was a bit different than all the other books by Joy Ellis, but I like the way she writes and especially the way she brings each character to life. I am not going to spoil the book by giving specific details, but I would recommend any book Joy writes. What can I say? I am a fan!! Thanks, Joy. I was not disappointed!!
Si
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit I was a little unsure about reading this as it is much different to the other Joy Ellis books, but I should have known it would be a great read. The name Joy Ellis means this is a great book and not to be missed. As always well developed and likable characters plus a tale it is very easy to become a part of. The only thing wrong with this book is that it finished.
Thebrit
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming........

I have read several of Joy Ellis's books and have enjoyed them all. This was different from her usual books in that it was a sweet, charming story of lost love found again, and the stories surrounding that. The characters were real and the descriptions of the surrounding countryside quite beautiful. It's a book that I'm sad to finish.
Gillian
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

Once again Joy Ellis has written a book that I could not put down. I even forgot to walk my dog until he started to run around in circles, that is how engrossed I was in the book. This is a must read for anyone who likes life affirming stories.

Mary Corack
I have very much enjoyed both series and a stand alone by Joy Ellis but thought this book was pretty poor compared to the others. Seemed to be an attempt at romance rather than police procedural and not a very good one.
Emma
While it's a departure from the Joy Ellis I've grown to love over the past few months, Guide Star is a great novel nonetheless, with much of the same charm and characters that endeared me to Ellis in the first place.
Ashley Hicks
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book because it is so different from what Ellis usually writes, but I really enjoyed it! It kept me interested and I really liked the urbex aspect. I hadn't heard of that before and enjoyed learning about it. Very good read
Annette
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books by this author and this one although it is different to the Fens series I still enjoyed it. It is well written and the characters are likeable and believable
Deanne
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy this author, but this was B-O-R-I-N-G!
Elena May
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This was a great read. A little different from some of Joy Ellis 's other books, no mystery to solve but a well written story. Nicely developed characters and story line.
Sherron L Pace
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changes

Accidents happen some have very serious consequences. The rest of a life depends on how these are handled. Sometimes help is needed for a good out come.
Sandra Montgomery
A really good read as always from Joy Ellis. This standalone book is a really good Example of resillience and survival

• Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
  • Moorings (DI Tanner #3)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • Broadland (DI Tanner #1)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • The Lavender Lady
  • The Infirmary (DCI Ryan series prequel)
  • The Moor (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #12)
  • The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
  • The Teatime Mystery (Jenny Starling, #6)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #2)
  • Revenge on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery, #2)
Joy Ellis grew up in Kent but moved to London when she won an apprenticeship with the prestigious Mayfair flower shop, Constance Spry Ltd.
Many years later, having run her own florist shop in Weybridge, Ellis took part in a writers workshop in Greece and was encouraged by her tutor, Sue Townsend to begin writing seriously. She now lives in the Lincolnshire Fens with her partner Jacqueline and

News & Interviews