Start by marking “A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)

A Vigil in the Mourning

(Soulbound #4)

The devil you know is never the one you should trust.

Special Agent Patrick Collins is dispatched to Chicago, chasing a lead on the Morrígan’s staff for the joint task force. Needing a cover for his presence in the Windy City, Patrick is ordered to investigate a politician running for mayor. In the lead up to election day, not everything is what it seems in a city where pla
Published April 6th 2020

To ask other readers questions about A Vigil in the Mourning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vigil in the Mourning

Start your review of A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
~Mindy Lynn~
Stars!

I have happily been thrown into this supernatural world and have enjoyed every second of it. The characters, the myth's, the romance, the cases, and the strong sense of pact and family this author has created is completely enthralling.

If you can believe it, this book had more action in it then any of the previous books. It was non-stop and it kept my fingers swiping the pages as fast I could read them.

Patrick is swept off to Chicago on a case for the SOA and another one for the Norn's. Bu
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Expected More*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Book one occurred in June, book two in August, book three in December and book four starts in February. While the timeline is long between each book, I feel like the main plot doesn't go forward. It's just a new fight in each book, but it's all on standstill. And while it's cute with Wade's continuing eating all the freaking time, it's also getting tiering. It's all he's talking about. I want some development for him - some growth.

Overall, I skimmed some bits in t
Corina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it

Now, after reading the fourth book of the Soulbound Series, I can say with no uncertainty that I love this series even more than at the beginning. The characters grow on me with each book. And it very much reminds me of Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews, because the series really gets better with each installment. And although the action is in the foreground in this series, the relationship between the couple and the supporting cast is a wonderful balance to it all.

Honestly, this book has e
Cadiva
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Full review tomorrow when I'm at the laptop.

***

Every time I think Hailey Turner has written her best book, she produces another which knocks the socks off me.

This one is just the same and is fighting with book one in this series as my favourite yet. I love how she constantly surprises me with her mix of well-known mythologies - here it's the Norse Æsir getting an airing - and lesser known but equally as interesting Gods and legends.

We meet Hinon, (also known as Hé-no, an Haudenosaunee/Iroquois t
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 5 +++ Stars
Story - 4 Stars

Damn there was barely any down time to allow for some couple time. I loved all the action, but I wanted more romance and steam.

Deborah
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75*

I would read these books for Wade alone. All my favourite scenes/lines featured him. I just can’t get enough.

That said this wasn’t the runaway 5* read I was expecting.

I love Jono, Patrick and the gang. And I think that’s where the problem was. And yes before you say it I am impatient. I know that. But I wanted more Estelle and her god pack. I wanted my guys together fighting for their future. I know I’ll get that. The scene is being set. And I was thrilled at first with the turf war and th
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I ended my review of the third book like this…

This is the third book in an already fantastic series that seems to be gaining more momentum and not slowing down. Jeez, really, they just keep getting better and better.

…and I’m going to start my review of the fourth with the same sentiment. This book was a fantastic addition to a series that seems to be gaining more momentum and not slowing down.

No joke. I don’t see an end in sight. I don’t need an end, like ever, and I swear the writing, the stor
fleurette
This series is absolutely fantastic. Every book is wonderful. This is definitely one of my favorite series.

Recently, no book I've read really made me enjoy the process. That's why I decided to read A Vigil in the Mourning, because I know this is a fantastic series and I liked all the books that have been published so far. And A Vigil in the Mourning fulfilled its task, no doubt. Although, it seems to me that this book may be a tad not as good as the previous ones. Just a little bit. And generall
Erth
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I love the Soulbond series and this book, while stressful, shows how brilliant the author is. Jono and Patrick have been through a lot in this series so far, now they're halfway across the country from each other and their relationship is tested like no other.
Even though Jono and Patrick have their issues they prove they are stronger than anything, even the gods who are using them.
This book has all the action of the previous ones and it's amazing to see how these characters
Eugenia
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Holy Norse Gods!

Could this be my favorite of the series this far??
Maybe!! 4.75 Stars!

Welcome to the Windy City as Patrick investigates the whereabouts of a missing relic and soul payments. See Wade eat his weight in hot dogs.

Meanwhile, back in the Big Apple, Jono wheels and deals for recognition of his god pack while avoiding deadly threats.

Distance does make the heart grow fonder, but also makes for keeping secrets. Ahhh, not your best moments, Jono. Patrick is right to be pissed with you.

W
Gerbera_Reads
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, I love Soulbond series so much! Every book rediscovers long forgotten deities, introduces new characters and is such a roller coaster. I love how Ms Turner cleverly combines mythology and modern times showcasing Gods in new light, how she creates such quirky relatable characters and weaves fast paced engrossing stories. This time around Norse mythology was at the forefront combined with magical beings and god pack rivalries. I practically inhaled it. There were some things that I finally f ...more
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Jono & Patrick

Another great addition to this series.

Patrick work leads him to a case in Chicago leaving behind Jono and their pack. The case turns into a huge mess that involves Gods and the dominion sect.

There are also things that Jono has to tend to in New York to keep his pack safe.

The two are reunited when Patrick calls him to Chicago.

These two are still great together and Patrick's father is still a pr*ck.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I do wish we got more on Jono and pack business. How many more
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
4 Stars

Review:
This was another great book in the series!

These are great characters, and their relationships are super sweet. All the relationships—the romantic one between Patrick and Jono, and the found family they’ve created with their friends and their pack, especially Wade, the sometimes petulant but lovable teenage dragon. I also really enjoy getting to see an established romantic relationship that grows over the course of a series with ups and downs, rather than just the beginning of a rom
Lisazj1
Damn, Hailey Turner has hit it out of the park for me again! She quickly became one of my drop-everything-and-read authors but this series is one of the best urban fantasies out there. *I feel like I should add "in my humble opinion", but why lie? LOL.*

There was a LOT going on in this book, and it was utterly gripping all the way through. When I finally got a chance to really sit down and read undisturbed last night, I could not put it down. I was completely lost in the story, as per my sons who
Santy
This book. This series. This author. Gah! I just cannot.

I am still reeling from the events at the end of this book because WHAT was that ending?! It wasn't a cliffhanger but could we just not (view spoiler) and be done with it? So our pack can focus on better things?! Ugh.

Once again Hailey Turner delivered an A+ book on the same level of action, intrigue, heart, and great storytelling as with all the previous books in this series; o
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I had missed Jono and Patrick. I can't wait for the epic show down between Jono and Estelle. ...more
Jessica
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
I am now burning through these books at a rapid clip. So far, this has had the tightest plot. It's still a wild and crazy mishmash of preternatural beings and world pantheons all thrown together, but the story feels relatively focused. There's the continuing hunt for Morrighan's staff, Ethan's Dominion Sect intent on stealing more godheads, and an array of Norse gods trying to build up their prayer base through somewhat shady means.

In a first for this series, Patrick and Jono are in different c
Shelby
I was worried when this started and Patrick headed off on a case to Chicago leaving Jono behind in New York. I nervous that the majority of the book would have these two apart and they're so much fun together. Thankfully that did not happen and this was yet another fabulous installment in this series.

I adore Patrick and Jono so much. They're such a great couple and yet they find themselves in any number of crazy jambs. This time they've got battles going on two fronts in two different cities. Pa
Kathleen

Epic battle scene. Long and juicy! A little slow to start, but twists, turns, surprises, fascinating mythology, Wade growing up (kinda), and a great set up for the next in the series. My only objection is the narrator, Gary Furlong, and the significant number of mispronunciations. Kept throwing me out of the story. Other than that, one hell of an exciting ride.

Notice the start and finish dates. I started the audiobook, then put it aside. I had just finished relistening to a favorite mai
Joyfully Jay
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay, kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

Kris and Jay are back chatting about A Vigil in the Mourning, the fourth book in Hailey Turner’s fabulous Soulbound series.

Read Jay’s and Kris's review in its entirety here.

Claudia
I love this author, this series and the MCs and this book is for me one of the best (which says something as I loved all the books before)
I adore Jono and Patrick. they are one of my favorite couples ever!!!

the story is fast-paced and well done ... so much action on all sides and so many more possiblities how this can go on.

please, can I have the next one NOW!!!
Claudia
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 stars. It was fine, but the plot has started to become tiresome; it always the same. There's a case Patrick needs to take care of (which I like but), which is always related to immortals that, only different in where they come from (Greek, Norse, etc) mess up with the case and remind Patrick he has a debt to pay; then they help him somehow, but also ask for help; then the ginger warns them they are in danger, to be consequently ignored, which them precipitates the end where on of those immor ...more
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
#1 A Ferry of Bones & Gold: ★★★★★ | 5 stars
#2 All Souls Near & Nigh: ★★★★☆ | 4 stars
#3 A Crown of Iron & Silver: ★★★★✮ | 4.5 stars

4 stars!

...bright and shining and worth a war.

Another great addition to the series! A Vigil in the Mourning brought myths I was very very familiar with and it was interesting to read bout Turner's take on them in this universe. There was quite a bit of action throughout the book as well, but the plot felt like it took a step a bit further away from t
~nikki the recovering book addict
4 stars

I’m a huge Hailey Turner fan and I say this will all the love. As much as I love the characters in this series, the Dominion Sect angle is getting pretty old. And it frustrates me a little because it’s almost rinse and repeat in each book with slight variations and a different location this time. We have different gods involved as well but the overarching storyline is getting a little old in my very humble opinion.

I want to see where it could go because the potential is there and I know
Lori
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as usual! I still adore the different mythological pantheons all jumbled together. It's just such a cool idea! I have loved mythology since I was a child and still do.

My only problem was that I must have taken too long of a break in parts of the book because it seemed short to me and according to the page count it was around 368 and the audible was around 10 hours so it wasn't really short at all. I think maybe because these books are always GO GO GO, with very little downtime sometimes
Tolk
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Patrick definitely does not have an easy life! I enjoyed part 4 of his story very much again. At times, I found it a bit hard to catch up with who was who but I still loved the book a lot.
I definitely love the connection between Patrick and Jono. And between them and the pack. Especially the way they treat Wade gets me every time. I'm so glad he gets to be part of their pack.
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
4.5 Stars. I really love this series but it is just not quite as good as the 3 previous books by just a bit. Surprisingly it isn't because Patrick and Jono were separated for the first part of the book. In fact, shockingly enough I really enjoyed that. Patrick is sent to Chicago for a case and he takes Wade with him. Jono has to stay in New York. Jono is being hunted and in order to keep himself safe he makes some decisions that Patrick will not like and on top of that he doesn't tell him. Patri ...more
ReviewerLarissa
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong, I love this series and the world the author has created. It makes for wonderful reading. But at the same time this is my least favorite book of the series. It felt like a lot of the same. New pantheon/myth same story: kidnapped god by the Dominion Sect, fighting with a different set of gods, Patrick's swearing at them and then Patrick does something reckless to save the day... again and Hannah makes an appearance...again. Oh and the whole New York God Pack, same thing.

With m
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
4.5*

It has become no secret that Hailey can write an epic battle scene. I also find it crazy that some or her wordage matched some of the present day real life chaos that is happening now, before it even happened. Little mind blowing, but in a good way.

I love that Jono is really growing into his alpha-ness with the new Godpack, and is taking on more responsibilities and "stragglers". I think the intro to the Knights is interesting too, and I am excited to say where that evil goes. I was also t
Amanda
As expected 5 star performance by Gary Furlong and my 5 star rating of the story definitely still stands ❤️
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Thayer (The Brinnswick Chronicles #1)
  • To Have It All
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Infinite Onion
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Enchanter's Heart (The Ellwood Chronicles #4)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • Nikolai (The Brinnswick Chronicles #2)
  • Vampire Heart (Blade & Dust #3)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
Hailey Turner is big city girl who spoils her cats rotten and has a demanding day job that she loves, but not as much as she loves writing. She’s been writing since she was a young child and enjoys reading almost as much as creating a new story. Hailey loves stories with lots of action, gritty relationships, and an eventual HEA that satisfies the heart.

You can keep up with Hailey's future project

Soulbound (7 books)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • A Veiled & Hallowed Eve (Soulbound #7)

News & Interviews