Start by marking “The Long Walk Home” as Want to Read:
The Long Walk Home

The Long Walk Home

When forty-three-year-old Fiona Edwards first sees the lanky backpacker striding up the lane toward her award-winning farmhouse bed-and-breakfast in the remote mountains of North Wales, she’s puzzled. She’s used to unexpected strangers, but few arrive on foot. The man to whom she opens her door is
middle-aged, unshaven, sweat-soaked . . . and arrestingly handsome. What nei
Published August 14th 2007 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Walk Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Walk Home

Connie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, wales
Alec came to a bed-and-breakfast in North Wales to fulfill his ex-wife's final wish. She wanted her ashes scattered at the top of Cadair Idris, a mountain near Dolgellau. Fionna managed the B&B while her ailing husband ran their family farm with lambs in the pasture. Alec and Fionna were both surprised at their instant connection, but obligations stood in their way. Both Alec and Fionna had been through recent painful experiences, and have nurturing, caring personalities. Love and passion wa ...more
Gaufre
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
Buddy-read with Joan. Join us if you would like, it is a freebie.

DNF chapter 11

At every party, there are always people who try to look smarter than they really are by over-explaining things or expounding life lessons because they just read a meaningful book. I usually want to punch them in the face for sounding like inspirational posters. This book reminded me of those pretentious people.

First, let me start with what I liked. Both characters are older (Fiona is in her forties and Alec is 50).
Jodi
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Make sure you have some wine on hand when you read this book because it is super cheesy! A perfectly orchestrated romance where every scene has the perfect setting, food, wine, etc.. Not that it was a terrible book, I didn't mind it. A very light, easy read. I'd say my rating is a "JC2". That is to say that it was an OK read but lacking in depth.

Its kind of funny that right before this book I read the Curious incident of the dog in the night. And in that book the narrator says that he is includi
Marcia
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The certainty of love doesn’t always arrive to hearts eagerly waiting. Whether rising out of the dust cloud kicked up by an old pick-up truck on a back road in Iowa or flashing by a window in a brief glimpse of backpack, the heart knows when love has arrived—uninvited perhaps, a bit unexpected—but nevertheless its arrival cannot be denied. So we find Fiona Edwards, a woman used to welcoming the unknown into her bed and breakfast, on the morning that will change her life.

The Long Walk Home by Wil
Bill Khaemba
I have been in a reading slump & I always lean towards simple light contemporary books. This one seemed about right and I was liking it for the most part until I realized how super cheesy & chick litty it was. I have no problem with romance in books trust me but I have a problem when the main plot of the book is just about this two random perfect characters ready to DO IT! . Alas this one was exactly that way, it had some good moments but reaching halfway I realize how 'meh" it was.

Sílvia Soares
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foi um daqueles livros que não me apetecia que terminasse.
Patricia Kay
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mr. North invites the reader to love found, love lost, and the commitment of relationships. As treacherous as his walk up the mountain he has created characters who struggle with emotions which unexpectedly have entered their lives. Detailed research into the geography of Wales, sheep farming, garden to table cooking keeps the reader turning the pages. The ending is predictable but perhaps it was only my prediction that wished for the book to end as beautifully as it did. He has placed his words ...more
Denise
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was just fantastic. I loved all of it... the setting, the characters, the way he set up the story... and the ending was absolutely perfect! I was so drawn into all of it that I wanted to keep reading and never stop, but then I was sad to be done with it. I would definitely read this book again, just to be reminded of how great it is!
Bee
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction
I really wanted to like this book. I couldn't seem to get involved with the characters; I'm not entirely sure why, but they just felt very two-dimensional to me. I found myself irritated with Fiona and Alec instead of sympathizing with them. The writing style left me cold, too. An example of what felt sort of bland to me was this paragraph: 'They began to eat. The wine was velvety and dense with dark fruit. The lamb was perfect, pink and falling off the bone. The roast potatoes were golden and c ...more
Arleen Williams
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will North's The Long Walk Home is the kind of book you think about all day long and can't wait to get back to (even when you should be doing other things!). North's characters are complex and his descriptions of the Welsh countryside are breath-taking. He makes you want to pull on your hiking boots and head out on a quest of your own to find that sense of belonging that defines home. And in doing so, he invites you to cheer for the joy Alec and Fiona find together.
Selene Gudino
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
The Long Walk Home is a love-story novel, you kindda see what's all about comming, and if you are an avid reader probably it wont have anyyyyy suspense. But when i read it I did almost thought of the characters as if they were real. Will North is a talented writter who provides with a nice story that you can read in a rainy weekend.
Coco.V
Oct 28, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
FREE on Amazon today (10/28/2017)!
Joan
Lynne Spreen
This is a thoughtful romance with an unusual premise: when a woman's husband is for all intents and purposes not in the marriage anymore, and the woman meets her soul mate, what will happen? I was drawn along by the loveliness of the setting (a remote valley in northwest Wales), the pluck of the woman character (Fiona), and the details (the fine meals "thrown together" in the kitchen of this B&B made me want to learn to cook!) Noteworthy: the romantic lead, Alec, is a beta male. He's thought ...more
Barbara Frayer
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Will look to see if there us a second book.
Leslie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, here is a book that I bought for the cover...the lovely, utterly British cover, complete with wellies, flowers, and a red door. When I started this book, however, it seemed very much like one of those Good Housekeeping stories that I would occasionally read when there was nothing else lying around...a long time ago. But excellent characterizations, sympathetic characters, and good writing changed my mind before too long.

Without going into a lot of detail, the story revolves around Alec, wh
Isaura Pereira
Quando leio livros que dizem ser comparados a determinado autor(a) - neste caso a Nicholas Sparks - fico sempre apreensiva, pois pode não corresponder a essa expectativas. Contudo, não posso dizer que fiquei desiludida, porque não tinha qualquer expectativa. Parti para esta leitura sem preconceitos e sem opiniões sobre o livro.

Um tipo de romance que gosto de ler ocasionalmente, embora não seja muito frequente nas minhas últimas leituras.

Foi uma leitura agradável, embora não tenha sido arrebatad
Karen
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a sappy detail soaked love story between two middle aged people that takes place in the country side of Wales. Although this book will never be a classic, I really like this book. I like the characters and I love the detailed descriptions and dialog of the country people in the neighborhoods of Wales.The local sights and colors come alive in this book, also great details of food and scents. The vivid description of birthing baby sheep was both horrifying and fascinating-truly information ...more
Marie Castellano
This is the second book I've read by this author and I'm still impressed! He writes well. Some have said the book is simple....that's hard to pull off, especially with the overarching themes of love lost and found, the insight that we are not in control of life, and the obligations of commitment. What is the highest calling of life? Patience, feelings, and what is worth waiting for, are all intertwined in the themes. A lot to think about. His prose is a lot smoother than this review. He knows hi ...more
Filipa
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ADOREI ADOREI ADOREI!

É tudo o que posso dizer sobre este livro. Encantador, enternecedor.

Impossível não nos apaixonarmos pelo casal romântico desta história. Impossível não sentirmos afinidade com as dificuldades por que eles passaram e decisões que tomaram. Adorei a parte do casal jovem, as oportunidades que por vezes deixamos passar ao lado, precisando que alguém nos abra os olhos para ver que tudo o que precisamos já se encontra do nosso lado...
Maria Carmo
This first novel by the Author is touching and a aosurce of inspiration.The country side and the atmosphere of a small village where people constitute a tight community is going to be the backgroung for romance between the two main characters.A lovely start for Will North who seems to take special delight in certain parts pf Engalnd and Wales.

Maria Carmo

Lisbon, 28 July 2012.
Carmen wells
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was one of the most predictable, sappy, cheesy books I've ever read. I would never dissuade anyone from reading it, but I would also never recommend it. Here’s an idea of how it goes:

Day 1: Man meets girl.
Day 2: Girl falls madly, head-over-heels, in love with man.
Day 3: Man confesses love to girl.

So stupid.
Sally
I liked this book, some might think it sappy but it took place in Wales and the descriptions of the country were so real. I also like the loyalty Fi gave to her husband even when she loved another.
Good book for light reading
Rosemary
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended by a person whose taste I respect, but so far (20% in) I find it to be a lightweight romance. I might continue just for the description of Welsh landscape, but I doubt I'll finish.
Melanie
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
I didn't even finish this book and I never do that. I can't think of one other book that I have ever done that with. I always feel like I should finish the book but this one was just unbelievable to me and I made myself stop reading it and wasting my time.
Glenda L
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very good, well written romance ... written in 2007. Maybe one of these days, I'll get my to be read shelf cleared. I loved reading about the Welsh countryside in this book. This book was full of life and emotion, even heroism. A very enjoyable read, to say the least.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
Sep 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
I knew I wouldn't like this book when the opening pages described the main character as "43, but still had her looks" WHAT??? I've plowed through 70+ pages and it is just too sappy for me!
Jessie
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i love this book. it is love, decency, grace, family, and a sense of HOME, all rolled up into one. i am still floating on a joyous cloud after reading it!
Jenn
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sedate is the word that comes to mind, and there’s infidelity. It was ok, nothing special.
Leslie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a refreshing change. A mature romance, a mature love that is selfless and kind. Set in Wales, it offers a glimpse into another way of living.
  • Love and Other Natural Disasters
  • Iris & Ruby
  • Happy Kid!
  • As Esquinas do Tempo
  • Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead
  • Um Estranho em Goa
  • As Flores de Lótus (Trilogia do Lótus #1)
  • Another Life
  • Bufflehead Sisters
  • A Inaudita Guerra da Avenida Gago Coutinho
  • The Blue Zone
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
  • As Rosas de Atacama
  • Tales From The Town Of Widows: And Chronicles Fom The Land Of Men
  • Quiver
  • Time After Time
  • Historias de Roma
Will North is the pen name of an international award-winning author and ghostwriter of more than a dozen nonfiction books as well as six recent novels. He has ghosted books for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, several famous Everest mountaineers, a team of dinosaur-hunters, a renowned physician, and others. Two of his books have been the subject of PBS and A&E documentaries. As a fiction author, Will ha ...more