Start by marking “In League with Sherlock Holmes (Stories Inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon, #5)” as Want to Read:

In League with Sherlock Holmes

(Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon #5)

The latest entry in Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger’s popular Sherlock Holmes-inspired mystery series, featuring fifteen talented authors and a multitude of new cases for Arthur Conan Doyle’s most acclaimed detective.

Sherlock Holmes has not only captivated readers for more than a century and a quarter, he has fascinated writers as well. Almost immediately, the detecti
Published December 1st 2020 by Pegasus Crime

To ask other readers questions about In League with Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In League with Sherlock Holmes

Start your review of In League with Sherlock Holmes (Stories Inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon, #5)
Bonnie
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
As with most short story collections it's a bit uneven. Some are OK and some are quite good. Even one that takes a humorous look at Holmes. Not a bad read though I wish Laurie King had written a story and not just edited. ...more
Rachel
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sherlockiana!
Recommended to Rachel by: My mum
FINAL VERSION:

After a huge long hiatus (pun fully intended) in which I crammed my brain full of as much ACD and Agatha Christie as I could...it's time to come back to this sweet lil anthology.

Because whoa do I have some feels for you!

So...me being me with a ton of book i'm currently reading on my bookshelf and feeling extremely stressed about finishing since there are, I kid you not, about 20 books i'm currently reading...what do I do but start another one?

It's one of my passions in life to stav
Rachel
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed with this collection. Only a handful of the stories kept me engaged enough to read to the end, and I had to skip over the entire comic book section because of the foul language. This has not been my experience with previous books in this series, and I am sad.
Ray Palen
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
IN LEAUGE WITH SHERLOCK HOLMES is far from your typical short story collection. Neither is it a gathering of famous writers from all different genres taking their shot at composing their own Holmes and Watson tale, although a few of the authors here do just that.

No, for this special gathering of stories inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon editors Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger personally hand-picked and invited each and every author who contributes within rather than merely soliciting st
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
IN LEAGUE WITH SHERLOCK HOLMES is far from your typical short story collection. Editors Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger handpicked and invited each and every one of these authors rather than merely solicit stories that met their criteria. These pieces use the great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his world-famous creation as inspiration to produce unique tales that feature settings from Baker Street, London, to Africa…and even the wild Jersey Shore!

Countless Sherlock Holmes fan groups and clubs
Marlene
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Because I’m a sucker for a good Sherlock Holmes pastiche, and in the right mood even for a bad one, I’ve eagerly anticipated each of these collections as they’ve appeared and I’ve read every single one of them, beginning with the very first, A Study in Sherlock back in 2011. This first entry in the series includes what is still my favorite story across the entire five volumes, The Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman

It’s hard to believe that this current
Stan Dunn
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I first fell in love with the Holmes canon when I was in graduate school in the early ‘80s; the independent TV station (at the time) in Washington DC would show the old Basil Rathbone Holmes movies every Saturday night. Rathbone will always be Holmes and Nigel Bruce will always be Watson to me. As I read the stories in the current volume, I can clearly see their faces when they appeared, or even in the stories when they are referenced.

I have read many Agatha Christie works as well as Arthur Ree
Christine Beverly
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the different imaginative twists on the Holmes genre, from spirit hunters who use the same skills of deduction to lunatics who believe themselves to be Holmes himself. The stories were short enough to be enjoyed at one sitting, so I could intersperse them easily into my busier working days.

I would have happily given the collection 5 stars but for one story that was essentially non-sensical to me. At the beginning of each story, each so unique and different, of course the reader
Mary Beth  Str8K
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyed this compilation of short stories (one was even a graphic short story). If you like books that are Sherlockian in style you’ll enjoy this one and the previous books in this series. I could read or two short stories each night before bed.
Kara
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but I think I have been spoiled by good fanfiction. The stories here were too short for me and felt like more of a series of exercises stretching the premise of Sherlock in different ways then a real stand alone narrative.
Lyn
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Always excited to find a new Holmes book or a collection of short stories. This is my first in these collections, overall a 5 star, a couple were just ok but the others made up for them. Great gift from my son, I’ll be on the lookout for more.
Lucy Sanchez
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read. I especially liked the story called “A 25-year Engagement.” A classic Sherlock Holmes mystery. Another really good story was “The Observance of Trifles.”
Sue
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing
Jim Benton
A couple of gems and a few stinkers: a typical collection
Diane Heath
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, mystery
Some good short stories.Some only someone.
crdefe2
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This book is quite good, I loved everything I read, not only the narrative, the characters and the elements that make up the story are good and that is why I will rate it with 5 stars.
Kim
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it
A fun anthology, though the stories vary in their quality. Some were so intriguing or funny, while others were rather just... meh.
Richard Stableford
Markus Iturriaga
Dec 24, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • The Dark Archive (The Invisible Library, #7)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
  • Further Associates of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • Enola Holmes: The Case of the Missing Marquess
  • Dying in a Winter Wonderland (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #5)
  • Color Tour (Ray Elkins Mystery #2)
  • The Painted Girls
  • Ho-Ho-Homicide (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries #8)
  • The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #1)
  • Someone to Care (Westcott #4)
  • Christmas Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #26)
  • The Man in the White Linen Suit (Stewart Hoag, #11)
  • My Brother's Killer
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's 2018 novel, Island of the Mad, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from London's Bedlam to the glitter of Venice's Lido,where Young Things and the friends of Cole Porter pass Mussolini's Blackshi