Start by marking “The Sacrifice of Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Sacrifice of Darkness

The Sacrifice of Darkness

Roxane Gay, Tracy Lynne Oliver, and Rebecca Kirby adapt Gay’s New York Times bestselling short story “We Are the Sacrifice of Darkness” as a full length graphic novel, expanding and further developing the unforgettable world where the sun no longer shines.

“When I was a young girl, my husband’s father flew an air machine into the sun. Since then, the days have been dark, th
Published October 27th 2020 by Archaia

Start your review of The Sacrifice of Darkness
Isaiah
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

I am going to admit something that I am ashamed of: this is my very first Roxane Gay piece. I have heard so many wonderful things and I keep saying that I am going to grab something by her every time I go to the library or her work pops up in my feed on Goodreads. Still haven’t done it.

The art is gorgeous. It took me a few pages to get used to it, but after that I really couldn’t image any changes that could be made to make
Rod Brown
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
An upset man flies to the sun and plunges his planet into a darkness that is somehow not catastrophic, but just kind of nerve grating? "Blood sacrifice!" gets shouted all over the place as his family must deal with the ramifications of the irritation. But love happens.

Get allegorical if you want, but the story still needs to make some kind of sense, eh?
Amanda
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was really interesting and eerily similar in some ways to the COVID-19 experience. It makes me wonder when the original short story was written and what was added for this graphic novel expansion! The art is also beautiful and hinted at some world building that made me want to know more.
Pam
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: notmm, graphic-novels
So I feel like reviewing this particular graphic novel is tantamount to revealing the most personal psychoanalytical details of someone's Rorschach test results, but here we go!

This was depressing. The social commentary on class and greed is bleak enough -- it's barely even scifi; it's just our terribly flawed world described differently -- but to me this is a story about how the best among us are often among the most persecuted; how pain and intolerance is piled upon them to unbearable degrees
xTx xTx
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, moving, dark yet hopeful and super timely. Gorgeous to look at. I'm not a big 'love story' person but wow, two for one special in this book! Great job.
Elizabeth Mellen
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really pretty! I’d read the short story and vaguely remembered the plot, but I really enjoyed this gorgeous, fleshed out, version.
Jessica Haider
An "it's the end of the world as we know it" story in graphic novel format from Roxane Gay (author of Bad Feminist and Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body). This is a graphic novel adaptation of Gay's NYT bestselling short story “We Are the Sacrifice of Darkness” (which I have not read).

After a miner flies an airship the the sun, the Earth is plunged into near darkness. The book moves back and forth in time to show the Before and After of this event. I was a little confused at first but I think that
McKenzie Peterson
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you NetGalley and Boom! Studios for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review, unfortunately I was bored out of my mind reading this. I found myself not reading it after awhile, but just looking at the pictures to get a feel for what was going on more than having any interest in actually reading it. It started out promising and interesting, but for me it didn't really escalate from there. I enjoyed the art and the color scheme, but ultimately it fell short for me.
Chris Thompson
Not a fan of this. A man flies into the sun and it disappears. Instead of being an end of the world sci-fi story, this is about people punishing the family whose member, Hiram Hightower, was responsible. Life goes on almost as usual (they just need to light lamps during daytime hours). So it’s not sci-fi, and it’s not all that believable.

One problem is that Roxane Gay romanticizes working class people. The working class people here are miners, and they appear to love their job and even want the
Tani
Sep 25, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley.
Samantha W.
I enjoyed this.
DeAnne
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

On the surface this is a touching story about families and rising above through adversity, but really it is so much more. There is a lot of discussion about class, specifically the disparity between the working class and the wealthy, and how the working class can often be dehumanized. I loved the story as it progressed and how it told two timelines involving some of the same members of one family. The art style and colors used
J.D. DeHart
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Sacrifice of Darkness is a beautiful, haunting, and atmospheric graphic novel. It’s a wonderful example of visual storytelling and the adaptation of ideas to image and text.

Highly recommended as an example of the literary work and possibilities of this medium.
zilver
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, graphic-novels
3.5!

I think there’s a collection of love stories at the core of this one. Love of parents for children, of people for purpose, of human for light. I liked the way Hiram and Mara’s “before”s were interwoven with Joshua and Claire’s “After”, how they both had a distinctive colour scheme and feeling to them - also in line with the event that separates their before and after, that is? the disappearance of the sun.

I did feel like I missed some depth to the characters, particularly to Claire. Beside
Kristen Shaw
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This a beautifully illustrated, poignant story.
The story begins with a tragic event that causes the sun to disappear. That in itself is a powerful premise that immediately pulled me in. In this new, sunless world, people adapt, but the family of the man considered responsible for the event bear the brunt of the townspeople's anger throughout the years. A good portion of the book explores how the community responds and their efforts to bring light back to the world.
At its heart, however, this b
Amber
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is unique  in a lot of ways. At the beginning it shows a miner Hiram Highwater breaking down from the greed of the company working the miners and he drives his plane into the sun causing the sun to go out for everyone. The town was forced to use lanterns to bring light to the town to bring back some normalcy of night and day and basically to be able to see, with the light going out this also caused the town to be cold. This brought out a lot of resentment towards Hiram's wife Mara and ...more
Kim
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading works by Roxane Gay before. However, I was unfamiliar with her short story "We are the Sacrifice of Darkness," so I didn't have any notion of the plot before reading this. The story began in a confusing manner for me: a miner who took a starship into the sun, and it was extinguished. The town (and one assumes the world) was put into eternal darkness. That part of the story is not visited in great depth-- the novel jumps back and forth between the father and the son as well ...more
Charlotte Jones
*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read any of Roxanne Gay’s work so this graphic novel adaptation of one of her stories felt like an easier way in than her non-fiction, which I know tackles a lot of tough topics.

The story was interesting and followed two sets of characters, some ‘before’ and some ‘after’. The world building was a bit confusing at points because although this could be classed as sci-fi/fantasy or at least specu
Jennie
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Sacrifice of Darkness is a graphic novel written by Roxane Gay and Tracy Lynne Oliver. It is a story about how one day a miner takes a vehicle to the sun and it goes out. The story then splits between before and after. It is a story of a family that is founded from deep love and finds a way to survive and fix past mistakes. This is a beautiful message of making friends with those who are not like you, those who other dislike, and the power of love.
The illustrations have these distinct color
Beck
Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an ARC

My main feeling while reading this was just... Confusion. I felt like the themes about corporate greed and dehumanization of the working class could have been interesting but there were just so many things about this book that didn't add up for me.

I just still can't understand Hiram's reasoning at all for what he did, and the book is purely fantasy when it comes to the way the science works, and those aspects were just distracting. I think the lac
*Tau*
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Three women (and a man) teamed up to create this graphic novel being released the 27th of October
Although the cover is very colorful, in the rest of the book the color palette could be called rather sober

The story is based on a short story of bestselling author Roxane Gay
And explores a world shrouded in darkness, both night and day

Family, faith and true love in a world of darkness

The story of this graphic novel is based on Roxane Gay‘s short story We Are the Sacrifice of Darkness which was ori
Sophrosyne
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The story was sure out of the box.
It had a different atmosphere and the setting and the characters were nicely written.Though I didn't like the plot much(maybe I shouldn't have gone into it thinking that it was a 100% sci-fi story)it is worth mentioning that the colour scheme of this graphic novel is well done.
For teens and up.

Many thanks to BOOM! Studios for providing me with an e-ARC of this book!
Allison French
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read “Difficult Women” several years ago where “We Are the Sacrifice of Darkness” was featured. I found the story to be incredibly moving and even had the chance to tell Roxane Gay how much I loved the story at a book signing. I was so pleased to see this story adapted as a graphic novel. The illustrations in this book are stunning and the story was adapted beautifully. I’m thrilled that this story gets new life in this gorgeous book!
Eve
this was a stunning graphic novel. i loved the different color palates between the before and after, i loved the different messages that different people gleaned, i loved this!

(i am a little embarrassed to admit that this is my first roxane gay, but hopefully after this great experience, i will get to a lot more soon!)
strawberry oatmilk
it was interesting but repetitive and i felt like the message was muddled because of the metaphor. personal bias: i also expected it to be queer in some way or another and it's not and that disappointed me because i don't connect to heterosexual relationships or wanting a heterosexual nuclear family at all in any way.
Ariel
Sep 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Very beautiful artwork but I don’t think the story is something that caught my interest. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
Erin
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Secretly a story about daylight savings and quarantine?
Assante Henry
I want to read the book
Hannah
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated and timely narrative to soothe pandemic-election anxiety.
Ellie-Simone
The colourist for this graphic novel is in a league of their own. There is a strong and unique colour palette that manages to texturize the atmosphere of Roxane Gay’s story. Gay weaves an allegory toward the greed that perpetuates classism, especially the detrimental effects on working class people and their families. The rich demand the lives and blood of the poor in order to keep their world turning, but when a miner flies a plane into the sun (causing it to disappear from the sky), the remain ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • The Low, Low Woods
  • Odessa
  • In: A Graphic Novel
  • Slaughterhouse-Five, or the Children's Crusade
  • We Are Never Meeting in Real Life.
  • The Magic Fish
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Weathering With You, Vol. 1
  • Pistouvi
  • Freshwater
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • The Belles (The Belles, #1)
  • Rodham
  • ブルーピリオド 1 (Blue Period., #1)
  • A Map to the Sun
Roxane Gay’s writing appears in Best American Mystery Stories 2014, Best American Short Stories 2012, Best Sex Writing 2012, A Public Space, McSweeney’s, Tin House, Oxford American, American Short Fiction, Virginia Quarterly Review, and many others. She is a contributing opinion writer for the New York Times. She is the author of the books Ayiti, An Untamed State, the New York Times bestselling Ba ...more

Articles featuring this book