Start by marking “There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)” as Want to Read:
There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)

There Is a Bird on Your Head!

(Elephant & Piggie #4)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In There Is a Bird On My Head!, Gerald discovers that there is something worse than a bird on your head-two birds on your head! Can Piggie help her best friend?

Published September 1st 2007 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published July 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about There Is a Bird on Your Head!, please sign up.
Mia P It is awesome for first time readers!!!

Start your review of There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
karen
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
this book misses a five-star rating because i dont like the art in it, even though i usually love his art. however, im glad to see a childrens book that recognizes the evil of birds, and how arrogant and cruel they can be. the title alone gives me chills...
Mischenko
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Children just adore Elephant and Piggie. "There is a Bird on Your Head" is a personal favorite, but all Mo Willems books are wonderful. The illustrations are cute and the reading is extremely simple with short sentences in large bold font. Mo Willems is undeniably one of our favorite authors!

5*****
Matt
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elephant and Piggie enter yet another wonderful story with much to say and laughs aplenty for the young reader. When Piggie advises her best friend that he has a bird on his head, Gerald is anything but impressed. What begins as a single bird is soon a pair and before he knows it, Gerald has a full-blown nest atop his head. He tries everything he can think of to rid himself of the birds, to no avail. Finally, Piggie has an idea and Gerald is free, if only for a time. New enjoyed this one and tol ...more
Sophia Triad
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My God my loved this one!
Two birds decide to make their nest on the top of Gerald's head. Piggie informs him that they are in love, so he shouldn't disturb them.
Soon they will have three eggs hutching.
Your little one may start asking you about flowers and bees and how the eggs appeared inside the nest. Be prepared!
Joseph S 8B
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like this story
Donalyn
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
I don't think you can truly appreciate the genius of this series until you read them with someone between 3-5 years old.
Steve Kemple
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Astounding in its portrayal of modern existence, There Is a Bird on Your Head is unparallelled by any other work in the western canon of literature. Willems asks the question "What does it mean to be human?" and answers with singular definitiveness to the extent that the former problem need never be pondered again. In it's shadow, all other canonical works—even those of Milton and Shakespeare—are rendered insignificant by Willems' resonant masterpiece. There Is a Bird on Your Head is a rare wate ...more
Sepideh Dehghani
Really cute and funny! Amazing pick for kids.
Andrea
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The power of asking for something politely.
Agnė
Mo Willems clearly knows how to write a funny and engaging easy reader. There Is a Bird on Your Head! has plenty of repetition, a very limited amount of words, a large type, color-coded speech bubbles instead of dialogue tags, and minimalist yet very expressive cartoon illustrations with plenty of visual clues and ample white space:

The story itself is silly and humorous (and totally improbable, but that is clearly not the point). However, it did feel a little bit stretched out to me… but it migh
Cathy
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cracks me up! He's the new Dr. Seuss. Not said lightly.
midnightfaerie
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another book by one of our favorite authors, Mo Willems, and a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award winner as well. Given to the most distinguished American book for beginner readers, the award fits this book, and this author, well. Easy to read (probably a level 1 reader), it is lovable by both young and old alike. Even my 3 yr old twins can follow the story and get a kick out of the exasperated expressions on the characters faces and the fact that there's a bird on the elephant's head. Even though my 5 ...more
Nate's Reviews
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
There Is A Bird On Your Head! is a great children's book about confrontation. In this adventure of Elephant and Piggie, the two find themselves in an awkward predicament... there is a bird on Elephant's head! The whole story, Elephant complains about his bird problem, he could've simply asked them to go away. The artwork is very simple yet pleasing. I would definitely recommend this one.
Kate
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Piggy believes she is being helpful by providing Gerald with some advice, but in the end it works against her
Melki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oy, vey! What do you do when two birds build a nest on your head?

First of all, Don't panic!

Then . . .

(view spoiler)

More fun with this fine comedy duo.
Karl
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hahaha. Great plot twist. I can see how this won a Geisel Award. Highly entertaining and fun for all ages.
Tj
Jan 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
my reading buddie made me read this at least 50 times
Amy Clinton
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 642
This is a story about an Elephant who can not see all that is going on on his head. Two birds build a nest and lay eggs, which hatch, on top of his head.

This is a good book to teach repeition for early readers as well as refreshing counting in everyday situations.

I really like the enthusiasm this book shares through it's words. You can see when the Elephant is not happy and how when he asks for them to leave, and they do, he is so happy. (But the pig is not =) ).

The illustrations are simple, an
Diane
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For some inexplicable reason my son didn't want me to translate this book back into English, which I'd offered to do and wouldn't have been a stretch. At any rate, the text is not what makes these books so awesome - it's the pictures, which tell the story completely. A child need only have the story read to her once to be able to "read" it by themselves if they can't yet actually read. These simple line drawings are so expressive and fun to read!
Becki
Hands down the funniest one I have read. And the niece agrees.
Andrew
2008 Geisel Award Winner, deservedly!

I actually laughed out loud at this book.
Mo Willems does it again with Elephant and Piggie.
Elephant has a freak out when a bird not only lands on his head, but also falls in love, builds a nest, has eggs and....so on....
Elephant and Piggie's facial expressions are what create such hysterical humor; fun ending; good upbeat read aloud and fundamental of emotions
Zina
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
I though this was a wonderful book. Elephant and Piggie are minding there business and then all of a sudden there is a bird on Elephants head. He panics and then there is another bird on his head. He panics some more and then a birds nest is on his head. He panics some more and then there are eggs on his head and then they hatch and there is a family of birds on his head. Elephant just wants to get them all off his head and Piggie observes the action happening on Elephants head and suggest ways ...more
Michelle
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seriously. Elephant and piggie are great. These books are a fairly recent discovery for us. We do not stop laughing. Honestly, these books can be helpful for children whose read aloud is not expressive. Reading the book with matching emotions to elephant and piggie expressions make it that much more enjoyable. Kyla is our favorite elephant and piggie narrator, currently.
Kate
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think what makes these so wonderful is that my coworker reads them to me and she's so funnnny.
Stephanie
Re-read this book with my son and did not fail to impress. This particular Elephant & Piggie book is one of my favorites. ...more
Viviane Elbee
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another funny Elephant & Piggie book, that is great for beginner readers, but also for toddlers & preschoolers. (It's a quick read!) ...more
Shane Harcombe
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Still cute, still funny, just not quite as strong as others in the series. Still highly worth reading though!
Carol Blakeman
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We read the Spanish version of the book, "Tienes un Párjaro en la Cabeza." It is excellent for learning new words in a new language because the pictures match the words so well. And the book is just fun, anyway.
Adrian Oon
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Because I like pigs and this book tells me about pigs.
Emerson and Theodore
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Mo Willems. Kids enjoyed a rowdy version read by daddy in Big Bear.

• The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Biscuit
  • It's Shoe Time! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #4)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • I Love You Already!
  • Ballet Cat: The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and Stinky Socks
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • A Crankenstein Valentine
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)

News & Interviews