Start by marking “Last Tang Standing” as Want to Read:
Last Tang Standing

Last Tang Standing

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  6,967 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews

Crazy Rich Asians meets Bridget Jones's Diary in this funny and irresistible debut novel about the pursuit of happiness, surviving one's thirties intact, and opening oneself up to love.

At thirty-three, Andrea Tang is living the dream: she has a successful career as a lawyer, a posh condo, and a clutch of fun-loving friends who are always in the know about Singapore's ho

Published June 9th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Last Tang Standing, please sign up.
Lauren Ho Yes... hopefully. Make the reviews rain and we'll see!…moreYes... hopefully. Make the reviews rain and we'll see!(less)
Lauren Ho Yes...ish! And if you add in Work, it's a Love Quadrangle!…moreYes...ish! And if you add in Work, it's a Love Quadrangle!(less)

·  6,967 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews

Start your review of Last Tang Standing
— Massiel
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crazy Rich Asians & The Hating Game fans.
Shelves: 2020, read-in-english
I normally don't write reviews but damn this book deserves it.

Last Tang Standing was such an unique read I totally recommend it for those who loved Crazy Rich Asians (even though they are so different) and The Hating Game (you will love the slow burn and jokes).

description

The plot at first is slow pacing for those who DNF'd a little earlier just wait until after chapter 7 (You won't regret it) and then is so fast pacing you won't stop reading. I loved the way the author shows how society, culture and fami
Nursebookie
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot!

This was a fun read about thirty-three year old Andrea Tang, a Chinese- Malaysian living in Singapore as a successful lawyer. A recent break-up with her boyfriend leaves her as the last In her Tang clan to be married and that is highly disappointing for her family.

With a hilarious take on single life, and the dating scene as a 30 something successful professional this was romp full of fun. The hilarious scenes will have you laughing out loud, and turning those pages -
Teresa
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The tagline of "Crazy Rich Asians" meets "Bridget Jones's Diary" perfectly captures the essence of this book. I picked it up on a whim and I couldn't put it down. Andrea Tang is in her early 30s living the dream; she is working her way towards partner in the law firm she works for, has an amazing condo (that she owns) and knows where all the best restaurants and clubs are located in Singapore thanks to great friends. What she doesn't have is the man that will make her "perfect" life more perfect ...more
Alethea
4.5 big gold stars for Last Tang Standing!

LAST TANG STANDING is about thirty-three year-old M&A lawyer Andrea Tang. According to her mother's Life Goals checklist, she's (almost) winning at life. She's on track for partnership and she's got a beautiful apartment in the right postcode. All that's left to do to ensure she does not bring "dishonour to her ancestors" is to get married and have kids. Sounds easy enough, except that her love-life is pretty much non-existent after breaking up with her
Rach
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Tang life was going seemly well until she and her boyfriend broke up, she has a rival Suresh in work and she has found out that Helen her cousin is getting married which means she will be the last single person in her family and is pressured to find a partner.

You feel for Andrea, the pressure from her family to marriage certainly isn’t easy. On top of that she is is competing with Suresh in work for a promotion. You can picture being in Andrea’s situation.

When you first meet Suresh in t
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Usually I hate those X meets Y-type blurbs but CRAZY RICH ASIANS meets BRIDGET JONES is pretty on the mark for LAST TANG STANDING. LTS is about Andrea Tang, a lawyer who's gunning for partner and basically has it all made... except for a boyfriend. Painfully single and well into her 30s, she's officially the last woman in her family to be in a long-term relationship and man is she feeling the family pressure.

First, I want to say that eve
fanna
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
June 30, 2020: Last Tang Standing clubs the typical yet prevalent expectations of an Asian family, especially parents, around the success & settlement of a young (but gradually ageing) woman and the pressure that a woman of thirty-four inevitably finds on herself, even enforced by herself at times, to find the perfect partner & live the best romantic life.

Malaysian born-and-raised Andrea Tang is a successful lawyer and has broken up with a boyfriend who had been tagged as an approved can-be-a-hu
Nswen Leona
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A solid 5 stars from me!  If you want a light but equally inspiring story to read during summer, give Last Tang Standing a go. It is a book that you don't want to miss out for any reason!

"She was supposed to be my fail-safe, the Last Tang Standing. Now there would be no one else to share the burden of deflecting criticism on being single from my relatives."
So here we go the story of Andrea, age 33, the lone unmarried member of her generation in the Tang Clan being labeled by her relatives as a
Samantha Verant
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Woah! This book is filled with so much energy it gave me reader's whiplash--in a good way. The voice! The voice! The voice! Although the book comps compare this story to Bridget Jones meets Crazy Rich Asians (true--in a way-- through journal entries and, well, crazy rich Asians), Lauren Ho has created a truly new vibe with her unique (and perfectly in tune/ on point/ relatable/ full of laughable snark) writing style. This book was fun, thoroughly entertaining, eye-opening, and full of real-life ...more
Kat, short for Clara
DNF @ 28%

I don’t tend to 1-star books I can’t finish. But this one? Good grief. In hindsight, I should have listened to the alarm bells that went off at the paedophile joke in chapter one.

So that coupled with the fat shaming of a *literal child* (which wasn’t challenged), said child clearly growing up in an abusive household (which wasn’t even acknowledged/discussed), and the racist mother (whose racism isn’t outright condemned in what I read; Andrea, instead, casually says she doesn’t condone h
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
4 STARS

This was a fun, sweet and heartwarming read. I really enjoyed it from the beginning!It was refreshing and I couldn't put it down!I love the writing and I would like to see more books like this one!

description

Andrea Tang is a Chinese- Malaysian successful lawyer.She is thirty-three year old and she broke up with her boyfriend.We follow her life!I liked Andrea a lot and I could feel her.Her romance life was funny and sweet!

I would definitely recommend it, to everyone who is looking for a sweet read
Heather
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-adult
This was pitched as Bridget Jones Diary meets Crazy Rich Asians and I would definitely have to agree with that sentiment. It was fast paced, funny and taught me alot about the Chinese-Malaysian culture and how pressured women feel that they have to get married young or by their thirties or their families will disown them and cut them out.
Andrea was funny and brash and the romance in this is a mixture of hate to love and the definition of slowwww burn. Overall funny, thoughtful and insightful.
Gina
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway (Kindle version) and I thank the publishing company and the author for a chance to read and review this delightful book.

Many books claim to be humorous - this one really is in places, especially at the beginning when the reader is introduced to the main character's family, especially her mother, at a celebration.

Andrea Tang is 33 years old - not ancient by any means, and a hard working lawyer hoping to make partner soon - but none of this matters to the ha
Lily Herman
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lauren Ho's Last Tang Standing is marketed as Crazy Rich Asians meets Bridget Jones's Diary, and that is in fact correct, dear readers!

Lord knows we could all use some moments of escapism, and Ho's debut novel was the perfect way to unwind. Her protagonist Andrea Tang is a complex woman; she's funny and self-deprecatingly awkward while also prideful and aloof. There were times when I really didn't like her, and at other moments, I found her utterly relatable and charming. It was a bit of a rolle
The Nerd Daily
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Ahana Rao

When I picked up Last Tang Standing, I was carrying the weight of a week long reading slump and I had absolutely no idea what I was stepping into; however, I certainly had not expected to step straight into what I had.

Andrea Tang was one of the single most relatable characters I had read! The fact that she was so open and fearless about the thoughts she had in her head makes all the things she says and does so relatable and not hurtful
Becca
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun to read - and the description of Crazy Rich Asians meets Bridget Jones' Diary is absolutely perfect. Andrea is a rising star in the lawyer world. She's aiming to make partner at her firm this year. Unfortunately, she's Chinese, 33, and not married, having split up with her boyfriend of 8 years.

I liked that the book had a good split between Andrea's work and private life. There's a paragraph about her having nightmare's about telling her mother about getting Bs on exam
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! Though I wouldn’t classify it as a true romance, it was a solid story about Andrea Tang - a lawyer in Singapore who thus far is ticking all the boxes on her mother’s list of achievements... apart from marriage and kids. Told in diary form, we see Andrea’s at times self-destructive life as she attempts to balance work and her love life. It’s more of a story about her growth personally, with a little bit of romance. While I could have done with a bit more romance, it was ...more
Eleanor
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit at the start I was a little sceptical. I felt like the 'Bridget Jones' type character might be too obvious and maybe a little cringe, but I quickly changed my mind. I fell in love with Andrea and all her wonderful friends. I loved them and the story so much that I only took one break (to sleep) before quickly picking it up again and finishing it.

I loved this book so much, so so much. I actually
Ouiman
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A humorous book about family, ambition and love. The book is really about Andrea's quest to "have it all" in career and love, and how she ultimately discovers what she wants in life. The writing is witty, the humour quirky, irreverent, and sometimes dark, but always funny. Like laugh out loud.
Coupled with the escapist setting of cosmopolitan Singapore, this would be a perfect "beach" or summer read, with a serious message about being true to yourself.
Rafael
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

The fact that Andrea is still finding what she wants at the later age just proves that we are all humans who constantly finding what we want in life.
legenbooksdary
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
As it was stated in the synopsis, this book is exactly like Crazy Rich Asians meet Bridget Jones Diary. Its set in the glamorous side of Singapore, living in the limelight of blitz and upper side but still has elements of the everyday middle class struggles. The format of the book is written as Andrea's diary and it was very entertaining from beginning to end.

Andrea Tang comes from an upcoming and upscale family who were born and raised in Malaysia but later on studied abroad and eventually set
Nolwenn
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2020, netgalley
Such a great light and easy read, perfect to take your mind off the current worldwide situation! I love Bridget Jones and didn't know Crazy Rich Asians, so I just watched the film before starting this book and yes, Last Tang Standing is a great mix of both indeed.

I am unfortunately not familiar with the Singaporean culture so I loved getting a little glimpse at the family at the beginning, it really made me understand better the pressure on Andrea's life. I found Andrea very likeable, not perfec
Antonella
They promote this book under the tag line Bridget Jones meets Crazy Rich Asians and I think that is A PERFECT description of this book. It is a fun chick-lit novel, perfect for a beach/vacation read.
I loved a glimpse into similar struggles with dating but in a unique setting and cultural background that I know very little about. I definitely recommend this book as I already mentioned a great light beach read. Also, the audio was excellent.

I also need to point out that this is a debut novel.
I
Laura Coates
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for this ARC. Like others I found that the description of Bridget Jones meets Crazy Rich Asians was fitting.

I liked how the author developed the characters, and I really liked that Andrea’s career and work place were featured so prominently. Moving between her social life and work life worked well.

Last Tang Standing was a funny, easy read that I’d recommend to friends.
Jenna
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, libro-fm
All the stars for entertainment!

Thank you so much Putnam Books for my advanced copy of Last Tang Standing. Unfortunately I was unable to read my e-copy prior to pub. However, I used my Libro.fm credit to listen to the audio. I'm so glad that I listened. The audio was fantastic.

This book was just what I needed. The publisher describes this as Crazy Rich Asians meets Bridget Jones and I have to agree. I see similarities.

What I Loved About This Book-

* The Humor- This book was so stinkin funny!
Alyssia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Crazy Rich Asians meets Bridget Jones indeed!! I loved the Singapore setting and the glimpse into Chinese culture the novel provided. Andrea was a smart, likeable and relateable heroine. The novel was so much fun. Loved the opening scene. Family drama is always entertaing and Lauren Ho made it hilarious. The romance was a bit meh for me. Suresh, the love interest, was nice enough but the romance wasn't written in a way that had me rooting for them as a couple.

Overall, it was a light and fun nove
Susan J.
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a delight! Hilarious and heart wrenching. And a little different perspective of Singapore and southeast Asia than found in Crazy Rich Asians. I eagerly look forward to Lauren Ho's next book! ...more
Laura Peden
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Now I understand that the phrase "crazy rich Asians" is not without basis. Andrea narrates in her diary entries how silly and irreverent some of her Chinese relatives and friends could be just so they wouldn't be disowned or disinherited. I couldn't blame them. The impossible demands of their folks with their "tiger parenting", they had to find ways to tweak tradition and use them in their personal favor.

And so 33 year-old, corporate lawyer vying for partnership, Andrea, MUST find a man and MUS
Bookevin
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

This was an absolute treat. It was uproariously funny and I was thoroughly entertained from page one!

Full review to come.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for Last Tang Standing UK ebook 3 13 Jan 26, 2021 03:32AM
Nerdette Book Club: Last Tang Standing 1 77 Jul 28, 2020 09:01AM

• Little Voices
  • With the Fire on High
  • Flight Path
  • The Missing Sister
  • Faithful
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Ayesha at Last
  • What Lies Between Us
  • His Christmas Pearl (Rainbow Cove Christmas, #4)
  • The Heap
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Super Host
  • Survival Instincts
  • Unforeseen: Collected Short Stories of Molly Gloss
  • The Holdout
  • The Animals at Lockwood Manor
Lauren is a reformed legal counsel who writes funny #ownvoices stories. She has previously worked for Doctors Without Borders and UNHCR. Hailing from Malaysia, she lived in the United Kingdom, France and Luxembourg before moving with her family to Singapore, where she is ostensibly working on her next novel. LAST TANG STANDING is not based on her mother. At all. Seriously.

She interacts with reader

Articles featuring this book

Finding the perfect book at the perfect moment can feel a lot like falling in love. Both experiences bring up those “I can’t take my eyes off of...
“Tears sprang, unbidden, to my beady, plebeian eyes. That so much beauty was possible in the heart of this stone-and-concrete city, that it should be owned by one person, while I paid almost half my salary and almost all my waking hours for not even a hundredth of this space—it hurt. How could this be what my life had become about?” 3 likes
“25 a.m. I now know all the types of intestinal worms you can get and how to get them. 12:27 a.m. How to get Genevieve to drink from muddy swamp water? How to ensure the swamp water sample contains eggs of flukes? 12:33 a.m. How to get water from a lake containing Guinea worm, surely the Lamborghini of parasitic worms?” 0 likes