Start by marking “Divine Heretic” as Want to Read:
Divine Heretic

Divine Heretic

Everyone knows the story of Joan of Arc, a peasant girl who put Charles VII on the throne and spearheaded France's victory over Britain before being burned by the English as a heretic and witch.

But things are not always as they appear.

Jeanne d'Arc was only five when three angels and saints first came to her. Shrouded by a halo of heavenly light, she believed their claim to
Published by Quercus Publishing, Jo Fletcher Books (first published August 20th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Heretic

Start your review of Divine Heretic
The Captain
Jun 01, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walk-the-plank
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this historical fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

The cover drew me in, I have heard good things about the author, and I have always been intrigued by the story of Jeanne d'Arc.  This was a quick read with a fun premise but ultimately rather forgettable with some substantial differences of the "history" that really irked me.

This version tells the story of Jeanne d'Arc from of the perspective of her b
Sherwood Smith
Spoilery discussion ahead.

This is quite a violent book, evoking in strong, vivid prose the violence of men against men, violence against women, violence against animals. But it depicts a violent time, when French and English lords ripped back and forth across the French countryside as the English tried to establish their control over ground that their Norman ancestors came from, and the French tried to defend it.

The strongest part of the book is Jeanne herself. The narrative voice is firmly on J
Blodeuedd Finland
I was a bit hesitant, because come on, Joanne d'Arc, that wont end well! But, it blew me away and at the end I was happy. It was perfectly told.

The writing was light, and suddenly I was at page 100. The pages really flew away, and this is more the origin story of hers.

She is a shepherd's daughter. The English are roaming the countryside, and she gets visions early on. And it was so well done because who are those that come to her? Angels? Demons? Or the Fae? Why do they come to her? And why are
Lynne
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jaime Lee Moyer has consistently published books that touch me profoundly, and this one is no different.

I approached Divine Heretic with some trepidation, since it's based on the story of Joan of Arc, and, well, as an emotional reader currently seeking solace, I wasn't sure I could handle that story right now.

Well.

This novel is an act of rebellion against the trauma that we experience that threatens to drag us down if we let go of the things that matter too easily.

It turns out, a book about r
Beth Cato
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Blurbed this with: "Divine Heretic rewrites Joan of Arc's life with heart and humanity, creating surprising new twists in the tale we all think we know."

To add to that, this book made me so darn ANXIOUS all the way through because I was in dread of the ending, but wow. Try to shove aside your expectations. Be ready for anything, and enjoy.
Robyn
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalleys
‘Divine Heretic’ is the story of Jeanne d’Arc, more commonly known in the UK as Joan of Arc. Jeanne is a saint of the Roman Catholic church for her role in the Hundred Years War, a battle between the French and the English for dominion over France. Jeanne claimed to have visions of angels – specifically the Archangel Michael, Saint Margaret, and Saint Catherine – instructing her to support the incumbent King Charles VII in his quest to reclaim France. Her actions aided him in ascending to the th ...more
Kahlia
Divine Heretic tells the story of Jeanne d’Arc. It’s marketed as fantasy but reads more like historical fiction - yes, the angels that Jeanne hears are “real”, but they play a relatively small part in the story, and the prophecy that Jeanne will lead the French army to defeat the English is treated as just another story that the soldiers believe.

I did enjoy elements of this book. Divine Heretic is a thorough retelling of Jeanne’s life that fills in a lot of the gaps in her history, including th
Kieran McAndrew
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jeanne is destined to be the Maid of Lorraine, who will lead the Dauphin's Army against the English to liberate France.

Moyer's novel is poignant and flows easily, but there is a sense of missing detail, which frustrates somewhat.
Paul
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Last September I read Jaime Lee Moyer’s brilliant reimagining of Maid Marian’s life, Brightfall. A year later and her latest novel explores the life of Jeanne d’Arc; from her humble beginnings to her key role in the history of France.

Like Brightfall, this is very much a character driven piece. Jeanne is at the centre of everything, all the action revolves squarely around her. Moyer does an excellent job of defining the shape of the conflict around, and also within Jeanne. On one hand, Jeanne is
David Harris
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Jo Fletcher Books for an advance copy of Divine Heretic to consider for review.

Following from last year's Brightfall, which gave us a fantasy focussed on Maid Marian, Moyer moves into more historical territory with a story inspired by the life of Jeanne d'Arc, Joan of Arc to the English although as they (we) were her enemies I will stick to Jeanne.

When I heard about this book I was really intrigued and keen to see how, exactly, Moyer would treat the subject. It was clear that the
Vivienne
My thanks to Quercus - Jo Fletcher Books for an advance reading copy via NetGalley of ‘Divine Heretic’ by Jaime Lee Moyer.

Last year I was enchanted by Jaime Lee Moyer’s Robin Hood themed fantasy, ‘Brightfall’, and so was very excited to read her latest novel that reimagines the story of Joan of Arc. I have to admit that I knew very little about her life.

In the first part of the novel the focus is upon Jeanne d'Arc’s relationship with the three holy beings that told her that she was the foretold
Rachel Feeck
Great premise, doesn't quite deliver.

Young Jeanne d'Arc meets three mystical figures in the woods. They have all the appearance of angels, but divine beings would not act as they do, and their cruelty in the face of Jeanne's refusal to become a prophesied warrior maid of France tortures the girl. Haunted by visions of tragedy, Jeanne is caught between leading her own life, the war with the English, and the never-ending demands of the mysterious beings of light.

I enjoyed the first third of the bo
Becky'sBookBlog
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jeanne d’Arc is a regular girl, a farmers daughter, a younger sister. There is nothing outwardly special about her, so when three creatures disguised as angels appear to her and inform her she is to be the Maid of Lorraine destined to lead France and ensure the Dauphin is crowned five year old Jeanne is to scared to deny their claims and promises to fulfil the prophecy. As the years go by Michael, Margaret and Catherine are constant shadows in Jeanne’s life, reminding her of the promise she made ...more
TimetoFangirl
Actual Rating - 2.75

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Based on other reviews/ratings this is an unpopular opinion but I found this to be a strange little book. I was drawn in by the concept - what if Joan of Arc knew that she wasn't being visited by angels but had to do what they said anyway? - because like, how cool does that sound?

This was an interesting read for me because I didn't enjoy it, but for an opposite reason than I normally don't enjoy books - the st
Melissa
Jun 14, 2021 rated it liked it
“‘You can’t escape destiny, Jeanne,’ she whispered in my ear. ‘Promise to obey all our commands and we will teach you to be a great warrior.’”

Divine Heretic by Jaime Lee Moyer is a retelling of the Joan of Arc story. In this version Jeanne, sees the angels who are guiding and directing her path as monsters that she is terrified of. And on her journey that she feels forced on to help her country and stay alive, she seeks safety above all and finds love.

This was an interesting read. There were man
Kendra
May 11, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, and was eagerly anticipating reading it, but it was a big disappointment. In this retelling of the story of Jeanne d'Arc, Jeanne is forced by otherworldly beings--definitely not angels--to pretend to be the mythical Maid of Lorraine and help the dauphin take the French throne. Jeanne does so, survives being interrogated as a witch, and lives happily ever after with her husband. Alas, my primary reaction was "so what?" Jeanne's basic trajectory is the same, except ...more
Susan
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this as an ARC.

Divine Heretic by Jaime Lee Moyer is a fantastic retelling of the Jeanne d'Arc legend. This book kept me awake, reading to the very end--Without giving too much away, what Moyer did with a well-known story was unique and wonderful and very very engaging. Throughout the book, Jeanne tries to reclaim her life from spirits of the land who have claimed her as their tool to rid France of the English invaders, and the slightly-changed story works very well as a straight-up fanta
Annarella
I really like Brightfall and had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed as I found the story less gripping and more slow paced than the previous book.
It seems to be on the fence as it's not historical fiction nor fantasy. The historical background is left undefined, we know what it should be but we are not given any specific details. The fantasy side has no specific world building and a lot of details are left undefined.
I also found the character development lack
Laura Gilman
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
If - like me - you enjoy alternate takes on history with a bit of darkness, pick up Jaime Lee Moyer's DIVINE HERETIC when it drops on Thursday. She takes the story of Jeanne d'Arc and re-spins what we think we know into a new fairy tale, one that's dark and occasionally terrifying, but also filled with honor and affection.

As an adult reader I enjoyed the hell out of it; I think it's also perfect for a teen reader, as it treats sex and violence honestly but more elided than explicit, gives it con
Anne Goodwin
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this engaging novel, Jaime Lee Moyer shows us Joan of Arc from a different angle: reluctant heroine and troubled voice-hearer, bullied into risking her life to save France. It’s the myth of the Maid of Orleans recast as a romance.
Full review
Tahlia
May 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
DNF at page 80. I love Joan of Arc so obviously I’m going to read as many books about her as I can but I feel this was just a waste of my time - my head couldnt get around all the inaccuracies (i know its fiction but yknow) and Jeanne just didnt come across as /jeanne/. She never would have doubted that the voices talking to her were angels.
Runalong
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A intriguing historical based fantasy taking a real enigmatic figure and giving her a voice and life of her own

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Christine Blake
Apparently I am incapable of ignoring any book about Joan of Arc, fictional or otherwise.
Fabienne Schwizer
Kevin Fellows
Jul 05, 2020
Annie
Aug 01, 2020

• The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives #2)
  • Grave Secrets (The Lavington Windsor Mysteries #1)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • The Nobody People (The Resonant Duology, #1)
  • Phoenix Extravagant
  • The Midnight Library
  • The Night Swim
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances #2)
  • The Library of the Dead (Edinburgh Nights, #1)
  • My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton
  • Star Daughter
  • The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Horrid
  • Map's Edge (The Tethered Citadel, #1)
  • The Once and Future Witches
Jaime Lee Moyer writes fantasy and science fiction, herds cats, is an occasional poet, and maker of tangible things. Her first novel, Delia's Shadow, was published by Tor Books, and won the 2009 Literary Award for Fiction, administrated by Thurber House and funded by the Columbus Arts Council. Two sequels, A Barricade In Hell and Against A Brightening Sky, were also published by Tor. Her new novel ...more