Jump to ratings and reviews
After suffering a humiliating divorce, infuriated Catholic, Jude Matawapit, bolts to his family’s Ojibway community to begin a new job—but finds himself thrown into a battle for chief as his brother-in-law’s campaign manager. The radical Kabatay clan, with their extreme ideas about traditional Ojibway life, will stop at nothing to claim the leadership position and rid the reserve of Western culture and its religion once and for all, which not only threatens the non-traditional people of the community, but Jude’s chance at a brand-new life he’s creating for his children.

Recovering addict, Raven Kabatay, will do anything to win the respect and trust of her older siblings and mother after falling deep into drug addiction that brought shame and anger to her family. Not only does she have the opportunity to redeem herself by becoming her brother’s campaign manager for chief, if he wins, she’ll have the reserve’s backing to purchase the gold-mine diner where she works—finally making something of herself. But falling in love with the family’s sworn enemy—the deacon’s eldest son, Jude—will not only betray the Kabatay clan but everything Raven believes in and has worked so hard for.

328 pages, ebook

First published September 20, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Maggie Blackbird

18 books248 followers
An Ojibway from Northwestern Ontario, Maggie resides in the country with her husband and their fur babies, two beautiful Alaskan Malamutes. When she’s not writing, she can be found pulling weeds in the flower beds, mowing the huge lawn, walking the Mals deep in the bush, teeing up a ball at the golf course, fishing in the boat for walleye, or sitting on the deck at her sister’s house, making more wonderful memories with the people she loves most.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
9 (56%)
4 stars
7 (43%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Bethany (Beautifully Bookish Bethany).
1,892 reviews3,108 followers
June 25, 2021
A family feud between observant Catholics and traditionalists who want the church off the reservation leads to starcrossed lovers in this quite steamy romance.

Raven is a recovering addict and her family hold to their traditional beliefs and want nothing to do with the catholicism that did harm to Indigenous people. Her brother is running for chief and makes her his campaign manager. Jude is known as a devout Catholic, but newly divorced he is moving to the reservation with his kids. His brother-in-law is also running for chief and makes Jude his campaign manager. So when things heat up between Raven and Jude, things get very complicated very fast.

Sanctified is a really solid book with great characters, tackling some big issues including recovery from addiction and the complexity of how Indigenous people have been treated by the church and how to navigate issues of faith and family. The one downside is the story of this couple doesn't actually wrap up in this book but apparently continues on to book 4 in the series. Which makes the ending feel kind of abrupt and not entirely satisfying as there are open questions lingering. That said, I would definitely read more from this author in the future.
Profile Image for Addison Carmichael.
Author 26 books335 followers
October 19, 2019
Wow, best of the three! I couldn't get enough of Raven and Jude! I've always been a big fan of the Romeo and Juliet theme, and the Kabatay and Matawapit battle between the families and their beliefs and traditions throwing one roadblock after another for this couple took a lot of twists and turns and didn't disappoint. More importantly, once again gave healthy food for thought on how to respect others and learn to disagree in love, reminding us that we are all ultimately of the one family of mankind. Loved it, recommend it, you gotta read it!
Profile Image for Denise N. Wheatley.
Author 34 books172 followers
September 27, 2019
Author Maggie Blackbird’s MATAWAPIT FAMILY series is chocked with intense, multilayered plot lines entrenching enough to hook any reader. From spirituality to taboo relationships, substance abuse to criminal activity, these books detail the raw realities of those living in the Ojibway community.

In SANCTIFIED, the third installment of the series, Maggie does not disappoint as she masterfully creates yet another character’s struggle to earn familial redemption, career success, and most importantly, love. Raven Kabaray, the book’s female protagonist, once succumbed to a debilitating drug addiction. Now that she’s recovered, she wants nothing more than to earn back the trust and respect of her family.

Matters grow complicated, however, when Raven unwittingly falls in love with Jude Matawapit, whose family’s Westernized beliefs completely clash with the strict, traditional ideals of the Kabaray family. As these two entities fight for communal leadership in the midst of their opposing political views, a relationship between Raven and Jude (who’s dealing with his own fair share of personal issues and struggles) would be deemed highly forbidden.

And therein lies Raven’s dilemma; give up genuine love for the sake of her family and career, give up those things for the sake of love, or figure out a way to find common ground amongst both families in order to have it all...

SANCTIFIED is an emotional, fulfilling, well-rounded saga built on unforgettable characters whose complicated circumstances will leave readers riveted as they discover the life-altering outcomes/consequences each character faces.
Profile Image for A Rush Of Emotions.
900 reviews6 followers
November 8, 2021
This was a single-parent, enemies-to-lovers story that I couldn't help but love. Jude is a newly single father of 2 who decides to move back to his home reserve to give him and his kids a fresh start. He takes the job as the High School principal and meets the heroine, Raven, at adult education classes she's taking to earn her diploma.

What I loved most about this story was how it put two completely opposite characters together. Raven is a recovering addict, and Jude had always been a straight-laced family man. She practices their traditional religion and he's a Catholic. Her family is writing to abolish the church from their Reserve and his family acts as leaders in the church.

These two shouldn't stand a chance, but their lust-filled connection quickly turns into something more. Their after-class hookups turn into them wanting to spend more and more time together. Their chemistry is per-fec-tion, and the steaminess in this book is just right.

There's conflict, and an underlying subplot oh a Tribal election looming, but the romance and all it's trials takes center stage. This book ends in a happy-for-now, and the next book in the series takes off right where this one ends.
Profile Image for Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon).
16.3k reviews152 followers
April 2, 2020
I really enjoyed this book! It was fast paced and flowed nicely. The turn of events were done beautifully and the ending was terrific!

Profile Image for Heather W.
3,951 reviews25 followers
February 7, 2020
Can they be together when they are so far apart?

Sanctified is the third book in the Matawapit Family series and is Jude and Raven's story. Jude and Raven are on opposite sides in the political battleground for chief of the Ojibway tribe and their love is forbidden.

It is interesting to see the differences between the two Ojibway families and the traditional versus the non-traditional way. This story is well written, emotional, and compelling with the focus on the indigenous community in northern Canada. The damage that drug addiction can do to a person and their family is handled with dignity and empathy.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I read and reviewed this book with no obligation.
Profile Image for Sarah.
493 reviews39 followers
August 28, 2020
The stakes are super high in this family enemies to lovers story, where it's clear that one has to lose big in the external conflict and will necessitate some kind of betrayal. The story, though, tends to back off when it gets to these points and doesn't go in for the angst, which frustrated my expectations a bit.

To me, though, the strength of the book is in the really fascinating interplay between Jude and Raven's respective religions, how they negotiate them individually and together and in their larger community, the similarities between the two spiritualities and also how divisive the differences can be. Blackbird does such a beautiful of teasing out all of these different angles.
8,176 reviews93 followers
February 1, 2020
This is the 3rd book I've read written by Maggie Blackbird; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Profile Image for Barbara.
16.6k reviews8 followers
December 24, 2019
Book three in The Matawapit Family Series, and the stories are just getting more intense with each new book. This is Jude Matawapit the oldest son of Decan Matawapit who is divorced and Raven Kabatay the two families are sworn enemies. I enjoyed reading this story. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.