Start by marking “Physical Chemistry” as Want to Read:
Physical Chemistry

Physical Chemistry

With its modern emphasis on the molecular view of physical chemistry, its wealth of contemporary applications (in the new "Impact on" features), vivid full-color presentation, and dynamic new media tools, the thoroughly revised new edition is again the most modern, most effective full-length textbook available for the physical chemistry classroom.

NOW AVAILABLE IN SPLIT VO
Hardcover, 8th edition, 1072 pages
Published March 10th 2006 by W. H. Freeman (first published January 5th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Physical Chemistry, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sanjay Gautam
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was the book that I read selectively when I was in my Sr. Secondary; and read it, more or less, from cover to cover in my graduation. I remember it as a beautiful book that enriched my knowledge of physical chemistry and made my fundamentals stronger. It's been many years now since I read anything related to Chemistry, but I will remember this book, along with Organic Chemistry by Morrison & Boyd, that I enjoyed reading thoroughly.
Hollis
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I'm not entirely sure why this book receives so many negative reviews from students of chemistry. It's not perfect, but I don't know of a book that gives a better general overview of physical chemistry. Point me towards it if you know of one.
Elisabeth
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
9th edition. I saw some reviews that were bewildered to see the low ratings. Here is why I give this book a low rating:

I have gone through this whole book over the last year. As I read it, and especially towards chapters 17,18,19,20,21, things feel really jumbled around. I will go through a passage, feel like I understand it, and then I see an example using definitions that it had not previously introduced. It often skips many steps. I was doing Ch 15 homework, and the equation I was supposed to
Reading Harbor
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It is really well written. There is a lot of material and I wouldn't necessary recommend carrying it around in your book bag like I did, unless you have to, you will end up with back problems - but this is truly comprehensive. The illustrations are very helpful and match with the text. Atkins and team did a great job of thoroughly explaining the concepts. I found this text to be extremely useful in teaching me P chem. Everyone else bombed their exams because they were trying to ...more
Dimitri Rascalov
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? One of the quintessential chemistry books, a true bible of physical chemistry. A must for any true chemist, my go-to reference for P.Chem.
Shubham
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best book in the world for physical chemistry
Brett Williams
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A noble work of the intellect

Murray Rothland wrote, “Every once in a while the human race pauses in the job of botching its affairs and redeems itself by a noble work of the intellect”. Atkins book is just such a noble work. Rare is it to find a technical text that reads more like a novel, but Atkins does. Not only is the topic fascinating on its own (mostly the physics of molecules), but Atkins raises it to the level of riveting. In those far off years of the university experience for this rea
Vikas Datta
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully lucid exposition of this vital science.... I wish all these books had existed when I was a student
Amber
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted, I have the 7th edition of this, but it was lovely.
Strong Extraordinary Dreams
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read_tech
It was like stepping into another world.

This was my chemistry text book for two years and I would sometimes spend a morning on one single page.

Great book, great book.
Alan  Eister
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Could use a proof section for those sections which are mathematics heavy, where they treat the proof as they do in theoretical chemistry papers. Otherwise, quite well written.
John
Mar 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book for the P-Chem class I taught at Brigham Young University. It was the first edition of the book and I guess they didn't take sufficient time to proof it...especially the problems and solutions. The book was so full of errors that my students completely lost confidence in it. It was a real mess. I abandoned the book at the first opportunity. I haven't looked at any of the later editions believing that a text so poorly done at the beginning couldn't be trusted. I am quite surpri ...more
Layta Dinira
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chemistry
This book help me finish my thesis, although it seems so hard to read at first. For the equation there is no further explanation what is the meaning of the symbol, so the reader have to search another equation in the previous pages that mentions the same symbol. This is rather confusing. Sometimes when I don't find the symbol, I give up and search the internet what is the meaning and the standard unit for that symbol.
Hannsen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first read, Atkins can be hard, but if you take the time to reread this text, it actually is pretty simple. I think it's just how the equations were written. Atkins made some equations look complicated when indeed, these same equations can be expressed in a simpler, more straightforward way. He needs to adopt some sort of minimalism.
Brian
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
A good textbook, though the hardcover version seemed to fall apart as if it were designed to self-destruct by the end of the first semester of P-chem. One of the most challenging and most rewarding courses.
W
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Maybe there was too much math in the class but I felt that the book was nothing like what we did in class. So maybe my rating is a bit harsh. Well, if the professor thought this book was going to be useful and it wasn't, it is a let down. Too many words and not enough problems.
Mary  Ababat
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Granted I've only read a couple of chapters, but Prof. Atkins really isn't clear, plus the writing really isn't engaging at all. I wished my pchem professor cared about her students well enough to recommend other, more useful books than this one.
Roserflame
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
VERY SMART !! AND WANT THINKING ABOUT ALL THINGS
Hanani
Sep 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
good and detail explaination, but agak boring, less colour used..
Brian
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the 4th edition.
Allie Lyle
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was absolutely awful for learning Pchem. By far the worst textbook I had to use for undergrad & Grad school.
Jeff Pasour
Sep 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Terrible P-Chem book. Most others are better. if you want to understand P-Chem get a Farington Daniels text.
Anapac
  • Physics for Scientist and Engineers With Modern Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Atkins is a fellow of Lincoln College, University of Oxford and the author of about 70 books for students and a general audience. His texts are market leaders around the globe. A frequent lecturer in the United States and throughout the world, he has held visiting professorships in France, Israel, Japan, China, and New Zealand. He was the founding chairman of the Committee on Chemistry Educa ...more