Start by marking “Of Sugar and Snow: A History of Ice Cream Making (California Studies in Food and Culture, 25)” as Want to Read:

Of Sugar and Snow: A History of Ice Cream Making (California Studies in Food and Culture #25)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Was ice cream invented in Philadelphia? How about by the Emperor Nero, when he poured honey over snow? Did Marco Polo first taste it in China and bring recipes back? In this first book to tell ice cream's full story, Jeri Quinzio traces the beloved confection from its earliest appearances in sixteenth-century Europe to the small towns of America and debunks some colorful m ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Of Sugar and Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Sugar and Snow

Eustacia Tan
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
One day, while browsing the library with my mom and bro, I ran across this book. It's supposed to be a history of ice-cream, so of course I borrowed it. I would have borrowed it even if it were a 1000 page monster. But it wasn't, and I was able to bring it with me on a trip. In fact, I actually finished this book on the train, and my conclusion - ice cream lovers, this is for you.

It's basically a very quick history of ice-cream, but with tons of recipes. I don't know how feasible they are, but I
Robert Murphy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I love books like this because I love learning about how things are used over the course of time or how they come to be and change etc. Check out A Splintered History of Wood: Belt-Sander Races, Blind Woodworkers, and Baseball Bats for great example.

This book was good and has a lot of information. I had moments where I was like "Oh cool that's how Dairy Queen was started!" but for some reason I felt like overall that I was never going to make it through the book, which is my only real complaint
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I liked the first several chapters of this. It was a wonderfully interesting food history that drew from a diverse array of sources. But once it got to the 20th century, it started to become less interesting. Probably because it was more about large companies and less about individual cooks, entrepreneurs, and housewives.
Audrey
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, nonfiction, adult
A fun microhistory on the evolution of ice cream and its industry. Can be quite technical at times, but is pretty interesting throughout. Chapters can be read out of order if you're only interested in a specific era.
Abraham Ray
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
nice book for the history & the making of ice cream!
Lynne
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, food-cooking
I lost interest part way through but after taking a break I enjoyed the last section on ice cream production during WWII.
Jael
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alll ages
Jeri Quinzio begins the history of ice cream with the ancient world, the Middle Ages to the 18th century and to the 21st century. Ice cream has an universal appeal and it will always be loved.
Julia
Feb 26, 2012
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2015
Neha
rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2012
Margaret Boardman
May 08, 2017
Isadora
Mar 11, 2011

California Studies in Food and Culture (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • Dangerous Tastes: The Story of Spices
  • Eating Right in the Renaissance (California Studies in Food and Culture, 2)
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Camembert: A  National Myth (California Studies in Food and Culture, 4)
  • Safe Food: Bacteria, Biotechnology, and Bioterrorism
  • Eating Apes (California Studies in Food and Culture, 6)
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Zinfandel: A History of a Grape and Its Wine