Start by marking “A Cold Dark Heart (Inspector Drake Book 8)” as Want to Read:
A Cold Dark Heart (Inspector Drake Book 8)

A Cold Dark Heart

(Inspector Drake #8)

Drakes most dangerous killer and shocking case yet

Accident or murder...?

When eighty-nine-year-old Emyr Isaac is found dead in his home, Drake and his team initially suspect a burglary gone wrong.  Isaac was old, and his death was a tragedy, but its not a murder caseis it?

A grisly discovery...

Drake uncovers more suspicious deaths, all elderly victims, all

Kindle Edition
Published March 20th 2020

To ask other readers questions about A Cold Dark Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cold Dark Heart

Start your review of A Cold Dark Heart (Inspector Drake Book 8)
Kathi Defranc
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC!!! This is a Fabulous thriller involving Inspector Drake, murders of elderly and brazen burglaries of their homes. Definitely a spectacular police procedural that can be read as a stand alone, although I recommend you read All Drake stories as they are enjoyable adventures!
An 89 year old man is found deceased in his home, in what at first glance seems a robbery gone wrong. But as the investigation continues, Drake makes note of several more suspicious deaths all involving elderly
Linda Strong
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Someone is targeting the most vulnerable of all ... the elderly.

At first look, it seems like he might have had an accident when someone burled his home. After all, the victim was 89 and not in the best health.

But Inspector Ian Drake and his team discover more suspicious deaths ... all of them elderly and in bad health.

Another serial killer has surfaced and this one is mighty dangerous .. the killer is someone almost everyone trusts.

Although 8th in the series, this one is easily read as a stand
Donna Maguire

I love this authors books and was so delighted to see that he had a new release out, this one, A Cold Dark Heart!

I thought that the plot was great, it was well planned out and I loved the suspense that built up towards the end, it had me hooked and it was another book that had me staying up past my bedtime to finish! There was no way I was putting this one down when I was so close to the end!!

The book is well written and the author has done a great job
Alyson Read
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent and most enjoyable story featuring DI Ian Drake and his team of detectives in the Northern Division of the Welsh Police Service. The story begins where DI Drake is called to the death of eighty-nine-year-old Emyr Isaac, found dead in his home by his carer. The detectives, which include his loyal team of DS Sara Morgan, DC Luned Thomas and DC Gareth Winder, initially suspect a burglary gone wrong with tragic consequences. Another elderly man dies, this time in more suspicious ...more
Joyce
258 pages

5 stars

An elderly man is found dead by his caregiver. He has a serious head wound. Accident? Or murder?

DCI Ian Drake and his partner DS Sara Morgan respond to the call. Gathering the team together, they investigate the suspicious death. But that is not the only problem. There is a new superintendent in the office. He is an unknown quantity, but so far he hasn't shown Drake much. In fact, he decides to run the investigation himself.

The teams speaks to a number of neighbors who have a
Books 'n' All  Promotions
This is Inspector Drake book 8 but they do work well as stand-alone.

Drake is feeling unsettled because he has a new Superintendent and he doesn't like change it sets off his OCD which he struggles to keep under control at the best of times. He is dragged from his bed to attend the home of an elderly man who has died. It appears Isaac may have tackled a burglar. Tragic accident or murder? Drake is still unsure as he sets off to meet his new Super, Hobbs.

With Hobbs claiming the SIO position for
Karen
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The elderly are being targeted by a killer and no one knows why or who is doing it. There are cases that havent been identified yet as being similar, but Inspector Drake and his team will work diligently to find the killer and stop him.

Detective Inspector Drake has to adjust to a new boss, and he isnt quite sure yet if he will like working with him or not. Hes a man who likes things to be uniformed and regular. Change is not his friend. With this new case, hell have to step back as the SIO
Linda
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nightmare 👵eldercare👴turns deadly; DI Drake's team to save Wales' white-haired brigade😲 Gripping!

4.5🌟stars
👍👍After a weirdly-constructed first chapter, this police procedural murder mystery took off on the right track and offered all the suspense and thrills needed for a first-class British crime novel. DI Drake has evened out a bit and his OCD rituals don't feature as prominently as they did in previous books that I've read in the series. I think that's all to the good.

In addition to the
Denise Zendel
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
What first seems like some sad but understandable deaths among the elderly soon turns into a possible serial killer case for DI Ian Drake of the Wales Police Service and his team. The more Drake investigates, the more concerned he becomes, especially since the suspects are numerous and highly trusted.

This is a well-written, taut, tense, dark police procedural with multi-dimensional characters, plots that have the ring of truth, and edge-of-your-seat action. There is a nice balance of work life
Carol Butler
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No: 8 in the Drake series and another winner, as always these books can be read as standalone's, so no problem if you haven't read any of what order you read them, but being a series the characters do carry on as with everyday life, and the author does gloss over the characters so nothing is lost to the new reader, and on this particular day Drake is called out to some poor soul who met his maker before time but by all accounts, it looks like a botched robbery and being 89yrs old Emyr Isaac's ...more
Billie
Drakes most dangerous killer and shocking case yet
Accident or murder...?
When eighty-nine-year-old Emyr Isaac is found dead in his home, Drake and his team initially suspect a burglary gone wrong. Isaac was old, and his death was a tragedy, but its not a murder caseis it?
A grisly discovery...
Drake uncovers more suspicious deaths, all elderly victims, all seemingly innocent, but with one chilling connection.
A twisted killer...
If Drakes suspicions are correct, they have a dangerous serial killer
Marion
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this latest case we find Inspector Drake and his team dealing with the death of an elderly man discovered in his own home .
It looks as if there has been a burglary and the man Emyr Isaac put up a fight.
Enquiries uncover further suspicious deaths involving the other elderly members of the local area.
Hard as it is for Drake and his team to believe, everything seems to point to the killer having links to care providers in the community, the question is which service is concealing a killer?
Not
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book number 8 from Stephen Puleston in the Inspector Drake series, A Cold Dark Heart. It begins with Drake and the team being called out to a eighty nine year old man, Emyr Isaac, who is found dead, after what seems to look like a robbery gone wrong. As the investigation continues, not only does Drake find lots of elderly deaths happening but he also has to deal with his new boss telling him that HE will be officer in charge of the case and not Drake. As the investigation deepens it seems they ...more
Sharon Storm
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to the Inspector Drake series. A string of deaths among the elderly are investigated, and the way Ian Drake and his team determine who is responsible will keep you interested. The personalities of his team members are distinct, and add to the appeal of the story. On top of this, Ian deals with a new superintendent who cares more about using the case to further his own career. His girlfriend Annies parents plan to move nearby, which adds another layer to Ians complications. ...more
Susan
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emyr Isaac, 89 years old, has been discovered dead in his own home. Initial inquiries lead to the suggestion that a burglary has gone wrong. Then another old man is found dead. Is there a connection between the pair, what could be the possible motive. Will any more bodies be discovered.
Detective Inspector Drake and his team investigate. But Drake has a new boss, Superintendent Hobbs, bringing a different leadership style, and he decides that he not Drake will be the SIO.
An enjoyable and
Frank
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, first-read
When an 89-year old male is found with a fatal head wound amid the appearance of a burglary, Inspector Drake and his detective team must determine whether this is a crime gone wrong or a murder. The initial indications are a crime gone wrong but a medical examiner finds an indication of something more sinister. The further investigation appears to turn up more questionable deaths of the elderly. Darke's ambitious boss decides to take charge of the investigation, causing Drake to be uncomfortable ...more
Aurora
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The death of an elderly gentleman in an apparent burglary leads to an investigation which exposes the presence of a serial killer in Wales in this hard hitting police investigation story in the Inspector Drake series.
As always, Drake struggles to balance work-life responsibilities, with the added complication this time of becoming accustomed to the work style of a new boss.
The story is well written, deals with real life concerns and provides a unique, Welsh treatment of the traditional police
Deb Le
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a series which keeps getting better and better for me. Despite every novel being easy to read as a standalone, I've come to appreciate Drake increasingly with each novel as his character evolves and struggles. Fantastic characters all round, I love Hobbs who adds to the atmosphere with his selfish ambition to make the story even more realistic. The setting is as amazing as ever, and makes me homesick for Wales. Intriguing and gripping, the story is gritty and beuatifully constructed. A ...more
Audrey
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent Inspector Drake story. This one is about people killing off the elderly in North Wales! It was well written and an original plot. The story was so well written I felt like I was right there along with the Inspectors. I didnt care for DI Drakes new boss. He seemed arrogant and willing to blame everyone but himself for any mistakes. This was a pulse pounding book. Difficult to put down. I look forward to reading the next book in the series! ...more
Janice Drake
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the Inspector Drake stories. They can be read as a stand alone book if you have not read any of Puleston's other books. The characters are well written and believable with their human foibles and the story moves along at a good pace. I love the Welsh setting. I did find the first part of the book to be a bit slow, but the subsequent action and exciting ending made up for that. I would recommend the book.
Sammye
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a believable police procedural/mystery with lots of twists and turns throughout. Inspector Drake is a very interesting character. The storyline is very well developed and entertaining. This is a very dood series. I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving this review
eileenhardy
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Police procedure at its best.

I enjoyed this book. Stephen Puleston is a master at story telling. He is not a sensationalist, writing gory detail for the sake of selling the book but is a master at building the story to to a most satisfactory conclusion. I recommend this book very highly .
Quanita
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When elderly people start dying, Drake is faced with one question - murder or natural causes. Unbelievably it appears to be murder at the hands of a medical worker. Is it the nurse or the paramedic or the meals on wheels driver? There is no down time in this story. I was gifted this from the author.
Gillian
Review

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The suspense builds up almost from the beginning, so that it made it hard to put down the book. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys reading a really good crime mystery.
Avril Waugh
Hard to put down

You've done it again. Superb. When you find yourself sitting on the edge of your seat you know you are reading a great book. Thank you Stephen Puleston. Looking forward to reading how Insp. drake gets on.
Jim Phillips
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent police procedural with a great storyline and likeable realistic characters. Very well written with plenty of suspense and hard to put down. A British crime novel that I highly recommend. Will be looking for the next crime that Drake tries to solve.
Beth
Another winner!

I love the Inspector Drake books. The characters are well written and easy to like. The series is set in Wales. The stories are always excellent and this one was no exception. I highly recommend this author. Anything he writes is good.
Susan Green
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Inspector Drake series from Stephen Puleston. It was very tense at the end! I will definitely be reading more books by this author.
Kenneth Lingenfelter
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
An elderly man, who lives alone, is found dead. His death looks very suspicious. Then another elderly man is found dead at home. This leads to an exhumation for four others that died under the same suspicious way. A police officer working undercover gets abducted. A thriller that will keep you guessing.
Teresa Stanford
Mar 25, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • Hidden on the Fens (Detective Nikki Galena #11)
  • Reunion (DI Kate Fletcher #4)
  • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)
  • The Snowdonia Killings
  • THE KILLING LINE: veteran detective Jack Harris deals with a difficult case of murder (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris Book 7)
  • Last Breath (A Cavendish & Walker Novel, #5)
  • CONSTABLE ON THE HILL a perfect feel-good read from one of Britain's best-loved authors (Constable Nick Mystery Book 1)
  • Poison on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery Book 7)
  • Her Silent Obsession (Detective Arla Baker Series Book 6)
  • DEAD OF NIGHT: A Scottish murder mystery (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 3)
  • Endless Silent Scream (DI Bliss, #6)
  • The Cuckoo is a Pretty Bird: Murderer? Or victim? (Ted Darling Crime Series, #13)
  • THE MISSING MODEL an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 11)
  • The October Five
  • The Truth About Murder
  • Ivory Nation (Gabriel Wolfe #10)
  • The Dead Trilogy
I write mysteries and thrillers.

I have published the first novel in a series featuring Inspector Drake based in North Wales and also the first in a series with Inspector John Marco based in Cardiff. The first Drake mystery is called BRASS IN POCKET and the second WORSE THAN DEAD. The third, AGAINST THE TIDE.

My second detective is Inspector Marco who comes from an Italian/Welsh background and he

Inspector Drake (8 books)
  • Brass in Pocket (Inspector Drake #1)
  • Worse than Dead (Inspector Drake #2)
  • Against The Tide (Inspector Drake #3)
  • A Time to Kill (Inspector Drake #5)
  • Dead on Your Feet (Inspector Drake #4)
  • Written In Blood (Inspector Drake #6)
  • Nowhere To Hide (Inspector Drake #7)

News & Interviews