Start by marking “Malice (Malice Duology #1)” as Want to Read:
Malice (Malice Duology #1)

Malice

(Malice Duology #1)

A princess isn’t supposed to fall for an evil sorceress. But in this darkly magical retelling of “Sleeping Beauty,” true love is more than a simple fairy tale.

Once upon a time, there was a wicked fairy who, in an act of vengeance, cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that could only be broken by true love’s kiss.

You’ve heard this before, haven’t you? The handsome
Published April 13th 2021 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Malice, please sign up.
Lizanell Heather herself stated that she thinks of it as an adult novel during the virtual launch event but concedes that it probably would appeal to young adu…moreHeather herself stated that she thinks of it as an adult novel during the virtual launch event but concedes that it probably would appeal to young adult audiences as well. Her Twitter announcement on publication day calls it her "adult debut novel"(less)
Hn I believe so. Laura Crockett (literary agent) wrote on her blog that Malice has a sequel. It’s a two-book deal.

Start your review of Malice (Malice Duology #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who needs Prince Phillip to break her curse when she has a misjudged, quite lovable evil sorcerer! Yes, my friends, this is creative, sappy, angsty, intriguing, captivating retelling of Sleeping Beauty!

After reading this quite tempting blurb and magnificent cover, eventually I started scream : “I WANT THIS ASAP!” Thanks to the publishers heard my cry for help and they didn’t reject me this time!

You know how the fairy tale stars, a wicked, vengeful fairy curses the princess to die : a curse cou
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy Wickedness!!!!!!!

Alyce - Malyce - The Dark Grace - Part Vila ....... and other things.

This is the ya fantasy book that should be like all ya a fantasy books. Oh, and before I forget, let’s take a moment to admire that beautiful cover -CUE ELEVATOR MUSIC....

Now that’s done let me tell you how much I love Alyce. She’s wicked but not really wicked and she’s also something else entirely. BUT, when you beat someone down all of their life at some point shit’s going to hit the fan.

Oh and she h
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Malyce in fairytale land!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Romance: ❤️💙💜💛💘
Heat/Steam: N/A
Story/Plot: 📕📗📘📙📔
World building: 🌎🌏🌍🌎🌏
Character development: 👤👤👤👤👤

The setting: Fairytale Land (Briar)

The Hero(s): Alyce - has dark and incomprehensible powers and is ostracized for being a monster. Alyce has no friends due in part to her affinity towards hexes and curses.

The heroine: Aurora - The crown princess who has a curse. She must find a prince and get true love’s first kiss or she will be dead withi
Mel
Mar 21, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021, dnfed, arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for providing me an arc of this book in exchange for a review.

DNF at 20%

I'm disappointed to say that my first arc was a DNF. I really wanted to like this book. It sounded so interesting; a retelling where princess Aurora, the sleeping beauty, falls in love with the evil sorceress seemed like something I would love, especially since it's a sapphic romance. Sadly, I couldn't sit through this book any longer.

The pacing is so slow. It feels like it
theresa
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since a book has left me as utterly speechless as Malice did. I couldn’t read the final pages fast enough and when I did finish the book, I sat in a state of shock for a good while trying to process it and recover from the adrenaline rush the ending gave me (which was not ideal when I’d already stayed up late to finish it woops). It is not hyperbole to say this book blew my mind.

Malice is a deliciously dark origin story for the wicked sorceress of Sleeping Beauty. Set in
megs_bookrack
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Once upon a time, an evil fairy cursed a line of Princesses to die. The only way to break the curse is with true love's kiss.

You may be thinking you've heard this story before, right?

I'd say, not quite like this. In Malice, Heather Walter has put her own darkly creative spin on the beloved classic, Sleeping Beauty.

The tale follows Alyce, a Dark Grace, living in a house of Beauty Graces since she was just a young girl.

While the wealthy of Briar set appointments with the other Graces to enhance th
Chloe Gong
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viciously satisfying. Malice takes Sleeping Beauty and turns everything on its head, cutting right to the core of this bejewelled world. Heather Walter has given us a villain to adore.
mishi
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love retellings and reinterpretations of fairytales and Malice for the most part delivers. The worldbuilding is flawlessly executed, The story itself is a blend of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Plus it's sapphic!

I expected Malice to be more about the romance but this is Alyce's story and while romance with Aurora is a part of her story, the main plot revolves around Alyce realizing her own worth and discovering the extent of her power. Alyce went through remarkable char
Robin
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
↠ 4 stars

There is nothing I love more than a story reimagined and retold, but make it sapphic and I just might push all my responsibilities aside to read it as soon as possible. Malice brings a new side to the Sleeping Beauty story, one that is dark, twisted, and full of power. Heather Walter gives agency and authority to these characters in a story that was beyond overdue for a refresh. The world of the original story seemed to lack in world building, but that is not the case here. Here, there
Miranda
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I typically love all things fairy tale, so I was super excited to learn about this sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling. So many people I know on Goodreads and Twitter have been loving this book recently, so I was so happy to see that my NetGalley request was approved!

Heather Walter’s adult debut Malice is the dark, sapphic retelling of my dreams. The story follows Alyce who is part Vila and known as the Dark Grace. She acts as an e
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
i think u have to think of this as an origin story for maleficent rather than like. actual sexy sapphic villain times because that doesn't happen until right at the end

read my full review on reads rainbow!

Rep: lesbian mcs

CWs: past torture, lesbophobia, past suicides
Debra
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, THAT COVER! I mean, seriously, it is gorgeous!

But it is what's underneath the cover that matters, isn't it? So, without further ado, I am going to quote the Oprah Magazine:

"Walter's spellbinding debut is for all the queer girls and women who have been told to keep their gifts hidden and for those yearning to defy gravity." - O: The Oprah Magazine

Once upon a time there was a wicked fairy who cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that can only be broken by true love's kis
Emily (emilykatereads)
this isn't out for like 2 years but I already fell in love with this premise of a f/f sleeping beauty retelling

it's everything I never knew I needed
Brinley
A fairytale world without the fairytale ending, Malice is a piece of art. Dark, bewitching, and vicious, this book kept you hooked from the minute you opened it. Instead of the “true love” presented in most fairy tales, this really explored the darker side of passion, and what it can lead to.

This book follows Alyce, the half Vila spawn with cruel powers. Instead of the ability to grant beauty, wisdom, or pleasure, Alyce can curse with ugliness. She is ostracized, tormented for her looks and her
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

A show of hands, who else instant click after reading that incredible blurb? I was immediately intrigued by the premise and though I expected this to be a bit darker since we are approaching the story from the 'villains' point of view, I was overall pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this.

Starting from the world-building―unexpected―, the unique and refreshing concept, noteworthy dynamic between the Dark Grace Alyce and Princess Aurora, and the writing style that brought to
 *:・゚✧ Isabelle (semi-hiatus)
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: arcs, kindle

4/13/21: Happy publication day to this beautiful sapphic retelling! Probably one of the only books I will break my hiatus for <3

Malice is not your typical fairytale. But then again, is it a fairytale if the villain is at the forefront?

In this novel, we follow Alyce, otherwise known as “The Dark Grace.” She’s half-Villa, a breed of fae that is feared for their cruel powers that started a war long ago. Nowadays, her powers are instead used in one of the Grace houses, where fae-blessed gir
Marta Cox
Thoroughly enjoyed this although I admit the pace was a little slow initially. I love a fairy tale retelling and happily state this isn't the heterosexual Disney version that we all know. Honestly I do not care if diverse or not because I chose to read this out of curiosity hoping to be entertained. I was without a doubt and although had guessed something there was a whole lot here that was completely unpredictable and if honest I enjoyed it more because of that.
This voluntary take is of a copy
☆Pelumi☆
Mar 11, 2021 marked it as need-to-read-asap
I'm a simple girl, I see a Sapphic retelling of Sleeping Beauty where Aurora and The evil sorceress fall in love.
I click!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tbr is currently groaning but I don't even care!!
Sarah Jayyn
description

EDIT I have updated my rating now that it has been CONFIRMED that there will be a sequel. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

👿👿👿👿 (three four stars, as rated in angsty little teenage chaos demons that are literally gonna snap ANY MINUTE NOW!)

I was given a free advanced reader copy of this book by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

description

I don't often use gifs in my reviews but I really couldn't resist with this one, because this story is the YA fantasy equivalent of the Joker's story. With predominatel
Landice (Manic Femme)
Actual rating: 4.5, rounded up.

Malice is the sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling of my dreams. It was one of my most anticipated reads of 2021, and it did not disappoint! I really loved the unique magic system and world building (especially the system for the Graces' magic), and the characterization of Aurora as anything but the swooning princess in need of a savior.

My only real gripe was about the ending. I wasn’t disappointed with what happened in the ending, moreso with how abruptly it came an
Kelly
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-arcs, lgbtq-read
Malice was a pretty interesting read set in a realm where some of the people there are gifted with a bit of magic in their blood. They are called Graces and their blood isn't red but gold. However, these Graces don't have powers forever. Once they have used too much, they start to fade and silver starts to show in their blood.

Our main character, Alyce, is called a Dark Grace. She's actually the only one in this realm that is part Vila. Her blood is Green instead of Gold and while the other Grac
Katy
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy_2021
holyyyyyyyyyy shit the ending of this book!!! i have just been sat here in a state of shock for the last 30 minutes.

full RTC

*thank you to del rey for gifting me an arc of this book. this in no way affects my opinions or review*
Lexi
UPDATE: HAPPY RELEASE TO THIS BOOK EVERYONE GO BUY IT
Sapphics win yet again.

TLDR Tropes

- Sapphic love story
- Fairytale retelling
- Villain origin story
- Rich lore
- Fairy/fae themes
- Grimdark YA

This arc was provided to me by NetGallery, god bless them. Malice is a Sleeping Beauty retelling following Maleficent (or Alyce in this case). The Brier is a kingdom once ruled by queens warring with fae, but has since turned into a more closely resembling fascist state where queens have slowly signed away
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oh man, Malice was a great fairy-tale retelling! Give me evil sorcerers any day and I will be happy. After meeting Alyce, I honestly felt so bad for her. Her living situation wasn't easy and everyone within the Lavender house treated her like shit. She did have one friend but I had a suspicious feeling about her..

Along the way, she meets Princess Aurora. Now stopping here, I was getting some Cinderella meets Sleeping Beauty
Shannon Rochester
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed Malice as it is a retelling of a fairy tale(or three) but with a twist. Aurora is a princess who will die on her next birthday if the curse on her family is not broken. Alyce is a Vila, well at least half of her is...the same kind that put the curse on her family so many years ago. She lives with the Graces, who are all a bout Beauty, Charm, and Wisdom and get everything handed to them
Leigh Kramer
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
FF Maleficent retelling? YES, PLEASE.
Tessa
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Four stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ for shocking the heck out of me!

Malice is a sapphic fairytale retelling, somewhere in the realm between Maleficent/Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella from the perspective of the perceived "villain" and while I'm not so into re-tellings, I'm always here for a good grey main character.

The worldbuilding here was very, very entrenched in the fairytales a lot of us know and love, but with a twist. Here, the society is built around the Graces: Beings born with magical gifts of beauty, cha
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: lesbian mc & li
tw: past & present torture, lesbophobia, past suicides, blood, drugs

3.5

Review also on Reads Rainbow. ARC provided by the publisher.

There’s something truly magical about taking fairy tales and reshaping them so that all the questions about the main character’s choices could be pretty much answered with: it’s because they’re gay. There are of course other factors at play here, but this is basically what Malice offers.

What would happen if Maleficent was a lesbian in love with pr
Christina
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-top-5
*edit: Heather Walter answered my question and YES this is not the last of Alyce!!! Ergo I have bumped up my rating to 5 stars.*

4.75 stars. I thought for sure this was going to be a 5 star read, but that ending... I can't find information anywhere but please please please tell me there's going to be a sequel. With a sequel this can easily be a 5 star read.

By far my favorite Sleeping Beauty retelling that I've ever read, and fairy tale retellings are one of my favorite genres so I've read a subs
Mallory
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing and I hope what I read about a sequel is true even if this book doesn’t even come out for several more months. I love fairy tale retellings and I have to say this is one of the best I have ever read. I know the movie Maleficent showed a different side of the evil sorceress, but it had nothing on this story. A story of good versus evil even in oneself. Alyce is born half Vila, one of the dark faerie in a land granted magic by the light faerie. She is tolerated for the magic ...more
Heather Walter has been telling stories for as long as she can remember. A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin with both English and Information Science degrees, books are--and always will be--a definitive part of her life.

As an author, Heather loves writing about what-ifs, flawed protagonists, and re-imagined history. Her favorite characters are usually villains.

When not writing, you ca

• The Shadow in the Glass
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • The Dead and the Dark
  • One by One
  • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • Secrets of the Starcrossed (The Once and Future Queen, #1)
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • The Future Is Yours
  • The Wolf and the Woodsman
  • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)
  • Mexican Gothic