Start by marking “Malice (Malice Duology #1)” as Want to Read:
Malice (Malice Duology #1)

Malice

(Malice Duology #1)

A princess isn’t supposed to fall for an evil sorceress. But in this darkly magical retelling of “Sleeping Beauty,” true love is more than a simple fairy tale.

Once upon a time, there was a wicked fairy who, in an act of vengeance, cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that could only be broken by true love’s kiss.

You’ve heard this before, haven’t you? The handsome
Published April 13th 2021 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Malice, please sign up.
Silveda Contrary to other answerers, and even if the authoress says it's an adult novel, I'd say it classifies way more as a teen oriented book. Main characte…moreContrary to other answerers, and even if the authoress says it's an adult novel, I'd say it classifies way more as a teen oriented book. Main characters are supposed to be 20, but they read as 15, at most. And everything feels VERY teenagy.(less)
Hn I believe so. Laura Crockett (literary agent) wrote on her blog that Malice has a sequel. It’s a two-book deal.

Start your review of Malice (Malice Duology #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who needs Prince Phillip to break her curse when she has a misjudged, quite lovable evil sorcerer! Yes, my friends, this is creative, sappy, angsty, intriguing, captivating retelling of Sleeping Beauty!

After reading this quite tempting blurb and magnificent cover, eventually I started scream : “I WANT THIS ASAP!” Thanks to the publishers heard my cry for help and they didn’t reject me this time!

You know how the fairy tale stars, a wicked, vengeful fairy curses the princess to die : a curse cou
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy Wickedness!!!!!!!

Alyce - Malyce - The Dark Grace - Part Vila ....... and other things.

This is the ya fantasy book that should be like all ya a fantasy books. Oh, and before I forget, let’s take a moment to admire that beautiful cover -CUE ELEVATOR MUSIC....

Now that’s done let me tell you how much I love Alyce. She’s wicked but not really wicked and she’s also something else entirely. BUT, when you beat someone down all of their life at some point shit’s going to hit the fan.

Oh and she h
Lex Kent
3.50 Stars. This was a quality book that I loved in some parts but struggled with some others. I just adore fairytale retellings, especially if they are sapphic. This was a book that I was dying to read and I had a lot of high expectations for it. In the end it wasn’t quite what I was hoping for but it was a well done book and impressive for a debut.

This was a real interesting mix that reminded me of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but with a lot of new imaginative elements thrown in. I’ve notic
FireLily (HAPPY PRIDE MONTH)
Trigger Warnings: verbal abuse, mentions of suicide, some homophobia.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an ARC!
LMAO so apparently I missed the publication date for this

3.5 stars because I'm indecisive

I’m not really sure if “Malice” was supposed to be a villainous retelling. On one hand, it did tell the side of the fairy tale from the witch’s perspective. On the other hand, Alyce wasn’t really a villain in the first place, so I’m not sure if it really applies. She was perceived as evil,
megs_bookrack
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Once upon a time, an evil fairy cursed a line of Princesses to die. The only way to break the curse is with true love's kiss.

You've heard this story before, right?

I'd say, not quite like this. In Malice, Heather Walter has put her own darkly creative spin on the beloved classic, Sleeping Beauty.

This tale follows Alyce, a Dark Grace, who has lived in a house of Beauty Graces since she was just a young girl.

While the wealthy of Briar set appointments with the other Graces to enhance their beauty,
Becca & The Books
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Once Upon A Time, There Was A Villain”

Malice is a Sleeping Beauty retelling with a twist. It’s told from the perspective of an Evil Fairy who falls in love with Aurora.

Alys has been raised in an environment where nobody can stand to be around her. Surrounded by the Graces - faeries who make elixirs that enhance the lives of their patrons - Alys just wants to be celebrated like her peers. However, she is The Dark Grace, incapable of bestowing anything but curses.
When an invitation to Princess Au
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Malyce in fairytale land!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Romance: ❤️💙💜💛💘
Heat/Steam: N/A
Story/Plot: 📕📗📘📙📔
World building: 🌎🌏🌍🌎🌏
Character development: 👤👤👤👤👤

The setting: Fairytale Land (Briar)

The Hero(s): Alyce - has dark and incomprehensible powers and is ostracized for being a monster. Alyce has no friends due in part to her affinity towards hexes and curses.

The heroine: Aurora - The crown princess who has a curse. She must find a prince and get true love’s first kiss or she will be dead withi
Chloe Gong
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viciously satisfying. Malice takes Sleeping Beauty and turns everything on its head, cutting right to the core of this bejewelled world. Heather Walter has given us a villain to adore.
theresa
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since a book has left me as utterly speechless as Malice did. I couldn’t read the final pages fast enough and when I did finish the book, I sat in a state of shock for a good while trying to process it and recover from the adrenaline rush the ending gave me (which was not ideal when I’d already stayed up late to finish it woops). It is not hyperbole to say this book blew my mind.

Malice is a deliciously dark origin story for the wicked sorceress of Sleeping Beauty. Set in
Melcaroni
Mar 21, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021, dnfed, arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for providing me an arc of this book in exchange for a review.

DNF at 20%

I'm disappointed to say that my first arc was a DNF. I really wanted to like this book. It sounded so interesting; a retelling where princess Aurora, the sleeping beauty, falls in love with the evil sorceress seemed like something I would love, especially since it's a sapphic romance. Sadly, I couldn't sit through this book any longer.

The pacing is so slow. It feels like it
mishi
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, z-mc-su, 3-5, ya-na, sapphic
I love retellings and reinterpretations of fairytales and Malice for the most part delivers. The worldbuilding is flawlessly executed, The story itself is a blend of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Plus it's sapphic!

I expected Malice to be more about the romance but this is Alyce's story and while romance with Aurora is a part of her story, the main plot revolves around Alyce realizing her own worth and discovering the extent of her power. Alyce went through remarkable char
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

4.5 stars rounded up because I really liked it

I'm not usually too into retellings unless they're made queer/diverse so when I heard this had a sapphic romance I was immediately interested even though I don't know much about the original story (I mean I've seen some versions of Sleeping Beauty but it's not a story I cared about particularly much).

I don't really want to s
Bethany
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Do you like fairytale retellings?? How about a fresh take on a classic villain?? But make it sapphic??.... Let me do you a favor and introduce you to one of my new favorite things: Malice by Heather Walter!! Seriously. This is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty where the princess falls in love with...the evil sorceress. And it's REALLY DAMN GOOD!

Malice is told from the perspective of Alyce, a dark faerie who is treated like an outcast even as the wealthy use her for her dark gift. When we meet her s
Sara
ARC received in exchange for an honest review 👸🏻

We've all heard how the stories go - the beautiful princess falls in love with the prince and lives happily ever after. But true love is more complicated than a fairy tale, and in this story the villain might just get the girl.

In this YA fantasy we follow for the story of Alyce, a girl with unusual and undesirable magic in a world bound by Faes and warrior queens of old. To me, it read quite similar to The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton in that it's
Miranda
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I typically love all things fairy tale, so I was super excited to learn about this sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling. So many people I know on Goodreads and Twitter have been loving this book recently, so I was so happy to see that my NetGalley request was approved!

Heather Walter’s adult debut Malice is the dark, sapphic retelling of my dreams. The story follows Alyce who is part Vila and known as the Dark Grace. She acts as an e
Landice (Manic Femme)
Actual rating: 4.5, rounded up.

Malice is the sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling of my dreams. It was one of my most anticipated reads of 2021, and it did not disappoint! I really loved the unique magic system and world building (especially the system for the Graces' magic), and the characterization of Aurora as anything but the swooning princess in need of a savior.

My only real gripe was about the ending. I wasn’t disappointed with what happened in the ending, moreso with how abruptly it came an
Robin
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
↠ 4 stars

There is nothing I love more than a story reimagined and retold, but make it sapphic and I just might push all my responsibilities aside to read it as soon as possible. Malice brings a new side to the Sleeping Beauty story, one that is dark, twisted, and full of power. Heather Walter gives agency and authority to these characters in a story that was beyond overdue for a refresh. The world of the original story seemed to lack in world building, but that is not the case here. Here, there
readwithzoe
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Malice is a creative, beautiful, sapphic retelling of the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty, that begs the question: what if the villain of this story was the love interest? We know from the original fairy tale that Maleficent curses Aurora as revenge for her love, Aurora's father, betraying her. It doesn't happen quite like that in this book: our "villain" Alyce is a Vila, a magical race that wields dark magic. She's one of the only Vila in the land, and also the most powerful. Nicknamed Malice by dis ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: lesbian mc & li
tw: past & present torture, lesbophobia, past suicides, blood, drugs

3.5

Review also on Reads Rainbow. ARC provided by the publisher.

There’s something truly magical about taking fairy tales and reshaping them so that all the questions about the main character’s choices could be pretty much answered with: it’s because they’re gay. There are of course other factors at play here, but this is basically what Malice offers.

What would happen if Maleficent was a lesbian in love with pr
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
i think u have to think of this as an origin story for maleficent rather than like. actual sexy sapphic villain times because that doesn't happen until right at the end

read my full review on reads rainbow!

Rep: lesbian mcs

CWs: past torture, lesbophobia, past suicides
Debra
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, THAT COVER! I mean, seriously, it is gorgeous!

But it is what's underneath the cover that matters, isn't it? So, without further ado, I am going to quote the Oprah Magazine:

"Walter's spellbinding debut is for all the queer girls and women who have been told to keep their gifts hidden and for those yearning to defy gravity." - O: The Oprah Magazine

Once upon a time there was a wicked fairy who cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that can only be broken by true love's kis
Katie Elizabeth
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was ok

Thank you to DelRey publishers for sending this ARC (I think anyway - it came through my letter box and I have no idea how or from who, but alas WE READ AT DAWN)

I wanted to love this book so bad - a sapphic villain love story? Yes please. I adore retellings and was ready to throw myself full speed into this but... it fell flat for me.

Unfortunately, I found the best word to describe this book was "muted". The romance was muted, the plot and world building was muted, the characters wer
Alex (The Scribe Owl)
See this review and more at my blog, The Scribe Owl!

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

3/5 stars

Malice attempts to execute on an interesting concept and falls slightly short of the mark.

I know so many people liked this one, but it wasn't for me. Which is strange, because I'm normally all in for a good retelling. I didn't love it or hate it, and it looks like this review will probably just be my way of saying "it was fine" over and over in semi-interesting ways.

Fo
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oh man, Malice was a great fairy-tale retelling! Give me evil sorcerers any day and I will be happy. After meeting Alyce, I honestly felt so bad for her. Her living situation wasn't easy and everyone within the Lavender house treated her like shit. She did have one friend but I had a suspicious feeling about her..

Along the way, she meets Princess Aurora. Now stopping here, I was getting some Cinderella meets Sleeping Beauty
Erin
May 18, 2021 marked it as to-read
Giveaway Win!
Emily (emilykatereads)
this isn't out for like 2 years but I already fell in love with this premise of a f/f sleeping beauty retelling

it's everything I never knew I needed
Brinley
A fairytale world without the fairytale ending, Malice is a piece of art. Dark, bewitching, and vicious, this book kept you hooked from the minute you opened it. Instead of the “true love” presented in most fairy tales, this really explored the darker side of passion, and what it can lead to.

This book follows Alyce, the half Vila spawn with cruel powers. Instead of the ability to grant beauty, wisdom, or pleasure, Alyce can curse with ugliness. She is ostracized, tormented for her looks and her
Brigid
Oct 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

description

You can find this review and more
The Alliterates.

Trigger Warnings: cutting, blood, suicidal suggestions, violence, prejudice, homophobia, parental/guardian abuse

Del Rey sent me an ARC via Netgalley. This does not impact my opinion of the book.

There’s a point in Malice that I had to look at myself in the mirror and realize as much as I wanted to enjoy a book almost seemingly explicitly curated for me, it’s just a lousy date situation. Any book pitched as ‘villains but sapphic’ sounded entertaini
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

A show of hands, who else instant click after reading that incredible blurb? I was immediately intrigued by the premise and though I expected this to be a bit darker since we are approaching the story from the 'villains' point of view, I was overall pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this.

Starting from the world-building―unexpected―, the unique and refreshing concept, noteworthy dynamic between the Dark Grace Alyce and Princess Aurora, and the writing style that brought to
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

Finished - review coming soon!

• Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • One by One
  • Sweet & Bitter Magic
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • The Shadow in the Glass
  • Mexican Gothic
  • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • The Space Between Worlds
  • Deep Space: The Furthest Reaches of Our Universe
  • The Light of the Midnight Stars
  • Miss Iceland
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Sayonara, Football, Vol. 1
  • Heaven's Design Team, Vol. 1
  • She Drives Me Crazy
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • My Kind of Earl (Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #2)
See top shelves…
Heather Walter has been telling stories for as long as she can remember. A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin with both English and Information Science degrees, books are--and always will be--a definitive part of her life.

As an author, Heather loves writing about what-ifs, flawed protagonists, and re-imagined history. Her favorite characters are usually villains.

When not writing, you ca

Articles featuring this book

It's June, which means it's time to celebrate Pride month in honor of the LGBTQ+ community! This year, we wanted to highlight the...