Start by marking “Malice” as Want to Read:

Malice

A princess isn’t supposed to fall for an evil sorceress. But in this darkly magical retelling of “Sleeping Beauty,” true love is more than a simple fairy tale.

Once upon a time, there was a wicked fairy who, in an act of vengeance, cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that could only be broken by true love’s kiss.

You’ve heard this before, haven’t you? The handsome
Expected publication: April 13th 2021 by Del Rey

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 13, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win an EARLY copy of MALICE by Heather Walter!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1828 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 01 - Mar 28, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Malice, please sign up.
    Hn I believe so. Laura Crockett (literary agent) wrote on her blog that Malice has a sequel. It’s a two-book deal.

Start your review of Malice
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Who needs Prince Phillip to break her curse when she has a misjudged, quite lovable evil sorcerer! Yes, my friends, this is creative, sappy, angsty, intriguing, captivating retelling of Sleeping Beauty!

After reading this quite tempting blurb and magnificent cover, eventually I started scream : “I WANT THIS ASAP!” Thanks to the publishers heard my cry for help and they didn’t reject me this time!

You know how the fairy tale stars, a wicked, vengeful fairy curses the princess to die : a curse cou
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    Holy Wickedness!!!!!!!

Alyce - Malyce - The Dark Grace - Part Vila ....... and other things.

This is the ya fantasy book that should be like all ya a fantasy books. Oh, and before I forget, let’s take a moment to admire that beautiful cover -CUE ELEVATOR MUSIC....

Now that’s done let me tell you how much I love Alyce. She’s wicked but not really wicked and she’s also something else entirely. BUT, when you beat someone down all of their life at some point shit’s going to hit the fan.

Oh and she h
    Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
    Malyce in fairytale land!

The following ratings are out of 5:
    Romance: ❤️💙💜💛💘
    Heat/Steam: N/A
    Story/Plot: 📕📗📘📙📔
    World building: 🌎🌏🌍🌎🌏
    Character development: 👤👤👤👤👤

The setting: Fairytale Land (Briar)

The Hero(s): Alyce - has dark and incomprehensible powers and is ostracized for being a monster. Alyce has no friends due in part to her affinity towards hexes and curses.

The heroine: Aurora - The crown princess who has a curse. She must find a prince and get true love’s first kiss or she will be dead withi
    Chloe Gong
    Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Viciously satisfying. Malice takes Sleeping Beauty and turns everything on its head, cutting right to the core of this bejewelled world. Heather Walter has given us a villain to adore.
    mishi
    Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I love retellings and reinterpretations of fairytales and Malice for the most part delivers. The worldbuilding is flawlessly executed, The story itself is a blend of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Plus it's sapphic!

I expected Malice to be more about the romance but this is Alyce's story and while romance with Aurora is a part of her story, the main plot revolves around Alyce realizing her own worth and discovering the extent of her power. Alyce went through remarkable char
    Robin
    Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    ↠ 4 stars

There is nothing I love more than a story reimagined and retold, but make it sapphic and I just might push all my responsibilities aside to read it as soon as possible. Malice brings a new side to the Sleeping Beauty story, one that is dark, twisted, and full of power. Heather Walter gives agency and authority to these characters in a story that was beyond overdue for a refresh. The world of the original story seemed to lack in world building, but that is not the case here. Here, there
    Emily (emilykatereads)
    this isn't out for like 2 years but I already fell in love with this premise of a f/f sleeping beauty retelling

it's everything I never knew I needed
    Brinley
    A fairytale world without the fairytale ending, Malice is a piece of art. Dark, bewitching, and vicious, this book kept you hooked from the minute you opened it. Instead of the “true love” presented in most fairy tales, this really explored the darker side of passion, and what it can lead to.

This book follows Alyce, the half Vila spawn with cruel powers. Instead of the ability to grant beauty, wisdom, or pleasure, Alyce can curse with ugliness. She is ostracized, tormented for her looks and her
    Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

A show of hands, who else instant click after reading that incredible blurb? I was immediately intrigued by the premise and though I expected this to be a bit darker since we are approaching the story from the 'villains' point of view, I was overall pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this.

Starting from the world-building―unexpected―, the unique and refreshing concept, noteworthy dynamic between the Dark Grace Alyce and Princess Aurora, and the writing style that brought to
     *:・゚✧ Isabelle
    Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs, kindle

*incoherent screaming*

of course, this is the book i return to Goodreads with and i'm sobbing

review to be posted closer to release date!
    Sarah Jayyn
    description

EDIT I have updated my rating now that it has been CONFIRMED that there will be a sequel. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

👿👿👿👿 (three four stars, as rated in angsty little teenage chaos demons that are literally gonna snap ANY MINUTE NOW!)

I was given a free advanced reader copy of this book by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

description

I don't often use gifs in my reviews but I really couldn't resist with this one, because this story is the YA fantasy equivalent of the Joker's story. With predominatel
    Kelly
    Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: lgbtq-read, 2020-arcs
    Malice was a pretty interesting read set in a realm where some of the people there are gifted with a bit of magic in their blood. They are called Graces and their blood isn't red but gold. However, these Graces don't have powers forever. Once they have used too much, they start to fade and silver starts to show in their blood.

Our main character, Alyce, is called a Dark Grace. She's actually the only one in this realm that is part Vila. Her blood is Green instead of Gold and while the other Grac
    Katy
    Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fantasy_2021
    holyyyyyyyyyy shit the ending of this book!!! i have just been sat here in a state of shock for the last 30 minutes.

full RTC

*thank you to del rey for gifting me an arc of this book. this in no way affects my opinions or review*
    Alaina
    I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oh man, Malice was a great fairy-tale retelling! Give me evil sorcerers any day and I will be happy. After meeting Alyce, I honestly felt so bad for her. Her living situation wasn't easy and everyone within the Lavender house treated her like shit. She did have one friend but I had a suspicious feeling about her..

Along the way, she meets Princess Aurora. Now stopping here, I was getting some Cinderella meets Sleeping Beauty
    Shannon Rochester
    Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed Malice as it is a retelling of a fairy tale(or three) but with a twist. Aurora is a princess who will die on her next birthday if the curse on her family is not broken. Alyce is a Vila, well at least half of her is...the same kind that put the curse on her family so many years ago. She lives with the Graces, who are all a bout Beauty, Charm, and Wisdom and get everything handed to them
    Landice (Manic Femme Reviews)
    Sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling?! Just everything I've ever wanted, no big deal

Love sapphic books, too? Let's be friends! Bookstagram | Booktube | Book Blog | Twitter
    Leigh Kramer
    Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
    FF Maleficent retelling? YES, PLEASE.
    Tessa
    Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Four stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ for shocking the heck out of me!

Malice is a sapphic fairytale retelling, somewhere in the realm between Maleficent/Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella from the perspective of the perceived "villain" and while I'm not so into re-tellings, I'm always here for a good grey main character.

The worldbuilding here was very, very entrenched in the fairytales a lot of us know and love, but with a twist. Here, the society is built around the Graces: Beings born with magical gifts of beauty, cha
    Lexi

- Villain origin story
    - Rich lore
    - Fairy/fae themes
    - Grimdark YA

This arc was provided to me by NetGallery, god bless them. Malice is a Sleeping Beauty retelling following Maleficent (or Alyce in this case). The Brier is a kingdom once ruled by queens warring with fae, but has since turned into a more closely resembling fascist state where queens have slowly signed away their power to their kings and small council, and a f
    Christina
    Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020-top-5
    *edit: Heather Walter answered my question and YES this is not the last of Alyce!!! Ergo I have bumped up my rating to 5 stars.*

4.75 stars. I thought for sure this was going to be a 5 star read, but that ending... I can't find information anywhere but please please please tell me there's going to be a sequel. With a sequel this can easily be a 5 star read.

By far my favorite Sleeping Beauty retelling that I've ever read, and fairy tale retellings are one of my favorite genres so I've read a subs
    Mallory
    Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This story is amazing and I hope what I read about a sequel is true even if this book doesn’t even come out for several more months. I love fairy tale retellings and I have to say this is one of the best I have ever read. I know the movie Maleficent showed a different side of the evil sorceress, but it had nothing on this story. A story of good versus evil even in oneself. Alyce is born half Vila, one of the dark faerie in a land granted magic by the light faerie. She is tolerated for the magic ...more
    Marta Cox
    Thoroughly enjoyed this although I admit the pace was a little slow initially. I love a fairy tale retelling and happily state this isn't the heterosexual Disney version that we all know. Honestly I do not care if diverse or not because I chose to read this out of curiosity hoping to be entertained. I was without a doubt and although had guessed something there was a whole lot here that was completely unpredictable and if honest I enjoyed it more because of that.
    This voluntary take is of a copy
    TRS
    May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    So the last hundred pages or so have an awesome premise and were quite the page-turner, HOWEVER, I wish much more time was spent on the buildup of a few important plot points (I'm being vague because of spoilers) instead of on worldbuilding filler. Of course that's important, too, and it's great! I just thought if the proportions were different, it would be more satisfying and solid. There was a bit of drama/miscommunication between the two that could honestly have been cut because it didn't las ...more
    Celia McMahon
    Jul 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
    A queer retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I'm here for this. ...more
    megs_bookrack
    Dec 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
    This sounds like my kind of fairy tale!

Thank you for the ARC, Ballantine Books. This sounds like a fun one!!
    Amber
    MALICE is a dark, twisted and SAPPHIC!!!! retelling of sleeping beauty that you're sure to never forget.
    I'm writing this review just as I've finished the work is all I have to say is oh my god!!!! Malice is everything I never know I needed in lgbtq+ fairytale retellings, and I'm so glad that publishing as evolved into giving stories us like this where people will be able to relate to main characters more. Once I got into this book I absolutely flew through it and fell in love with the story the
    Rachael
    Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
    I can't thank Netgalley enough for providing me with an ARC in exchange for a honest review. I'm into twisted fairytale retellings and Malice was really, really good. It is based on Sleeping Beauty with plenty of similarities and also lots of surprise. It explores what if Princess Aurora and Maleficent Malice Alyce were friends with the addition of Fae, Graces and interesting magic systems.
    I love finding out villains' backgrounds especially when it turns out they're misunderstood and other chara
    Becca (Horners_book_corner)
    Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
    My dream book?

Villains, violence and sprinkling of vengeance. Oh, and some magical potions with morally grey uses and some queer, magical romance. And a magical pet. I do like a good magical pet with their own mini-side story.

Malice, is out on 13th April and will not disappoint anyone craving their villain fix! Check out my full review over at www.twwbookclub.co.uk/reviews
    Amélie Boucher
    Jan 22, 2021 marked it as to-read
    A sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling? Say no more.
    Emmett
    Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    *I received a free ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

It took a while for this book and I to finally have our true love’s kiss. That was my fault; that was on me.

Once I let go of the chip on my shoulder and enjoyed this book for what it was, it was great. I was more than impressed by the time I finished reading it. For a F/F [YA?] retelling of Sleeping Beauty, I think this could be enjoyed by almost any reader of fantasy.

I found the focus on emotions in the book to be
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
    Challenge Corner: Malice by Heather Walter --> Starting November 18th, 2020 22 9 Nov 29, 2020 11:26AM

• The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
    • Down Comes the Night
    • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
    • Perfect on Paper
    • Namesake (Fable, #2)
    • What Big Teeth
    • The Future Is Yours
    • One by One
    • Secrets of the Starcrossed (The Once and Future Queen, #1)
    • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
    • Don't Tell a Soul
    • Mexican Gothic
    • The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)
    • The Space Between Worlds
    • The Dead and the Dark
    • The Witch's Heart
    • Deep Space: The Furthest Reaches of Our Universe
    • Miss Iceland
    Heather Walter has been telling stories for as long as she can remember. A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin with both English and Information Science degrees, books are--and always will be--a definitive part of her life.

As an author, Heather loves writing about what-ifs, flawed protagonists, and re-imagined history. Her favorite characters are usually villains.

When not writing, you ca

News & Interviews