Start by marking “Baptism of Fire (Playing With Hellfire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Baptism of Fire (Playing With Hellfire, #1)

Baptism of Fire (Playing With Hellfire, #1)

Welcome to Perdition Falls, New York: where arson is considered a recreational activity, the abnormally hot climate makes everything unbearable, and according to one origin story shrouded in myth and legend, our city is an actual Hellmouth.

I’ve learned those infernal tales aren’t just a cheap marketing ploy to lure in tourists and paranormal frauds.

It’s Hell. We’re liter
Kindle Edition
Published March 31st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Baptism of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baptism of Fire

Start your review of Baptism of Fire (Playing With Hellfire, #1)
Jacob Klop
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s always hot in Perdition Falls...and so is Baptism of Fire, the first in the Playing with Hellfire series.

The book is about a firefighter, Nix, who discovers she has the ability to control fire. This realization is only the start to uncovering that the entire city of Perdition Falls has a close connection with Hell, and that she’s not the only ‘pyromancer’ in the city.

There are two things I absolutely love about this novel. The first is Perdition Falls itself. The city has so much personalit
Lou Rera
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jessie Thomas’ Baptism of Fire takes you deep into Perdition Falls, a place where evil rules with the wrath of the damned. Young, Victoria Phoenix ("Nix"), survives an attack of Hellfire by a demon she vows to track down and balance the scales of moral justice. There is only one way--to kill it! This new adult novel is deftly written with descriptions that are visually stunning and move the story with jaw-clenching suspense toward its intense climax. In a world where “good” is often difficult to ...more
Alexandra Geers
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! I don’t read a whole lot of fantasy but was hooked from the first chapter and thought it was beautifully written. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
Jessie
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so here are some things you'll find in this book...

Demons who have style. Pyromancers with a lot of firepower. A weird city that sits on top of a Hellmouth. Found family dynamics. Slow burn romance. A group of disasters making up everything as they go. A villain presented like a protagonist. LGBT+ rep, including a biromantic asexual protagonist. Soft boy/angry girl dynamic.

It's a story I had a lot of fun writing, and I hope you enjoy your time in Perdition Falls, too.

Just watch ou
Maria
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent worldbuilding and a satisfying standalone novel. If you enjoy an eerie fantasy world and a fascinating mystery, you'll enjoy Baptism of Fire!

I haven't read a lot of fantasy books as an adult because I devoured so many fantasy YAs as a teen. However, Baptism of Fire brings stakes familiar to YA viewers- with the added depth and maturity of a new adult book. This also means our lead adult character, Nix, actually has some skills and experience for the threats she faces, unlike many YA he
Elena
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What's the best way to hunt down the most feared organization that rules a deeply corrupted city? Assembling a firefighter task force might be the solution. And Baptism of Fire does exactly that - with special effects.
An unexplainable incident forces the protagonist Victoria Phoenix to deal with the pain of losing her best friend and the shock of uncovering Perdition Fall's deepest secrets - as deep as the pits of Hell. Which makes sense when the town you live in is built on literal demon groun
Eroine Penzel
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
REVIEW (3/5):
I received a digital copy of this book in exchange of my honest opinion.
I do have to say that this book had amazing and interesting premises, but yet flopped a bit around the entire world-building aspect since it was, at least for me, very not… that interesting, because it kept the reader outside of it, alongside again, in my opinion, not very developed.
Naturally this isn’t a mortal sin, even more if you think that this is the first book of a series, but yet I jus didn’t feel involv
Mark Goff
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked by the first chapter! I had a hard time putting the book down everything I finished a chapter and loved reading the battle scenes and enjoyed the world Jessie created! I am looking forward to reading the next one.
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paused
Haven't finished yet but enjoying immensely! Wonderful writing style and the characters are so lovable. Will update when I finish!
Donna Duhig
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written and engaging fantasy novel, that's ideal for young adults. Not normally a genre I would read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Heather
Mar 13, 2020
Calvin
Mar 30, 2020

• My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Big, Bad Mister Wolfe (Chronicles of Curses Book 1)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • And They Shall Walk: The Life Story of Sister Elizabeth Kenny
  • The Dark Lady of Tintagel (Queens of the Mist #1)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Druid
  • The Guest List
  • Blood Orange
  • The Remains of the Day
  • The Test
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird)
  • Gabriel and the Hour Book
  • Backlash (Second Skin #5)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • The Golden Hawks of Genghis Khan
  • Road Trip Z
Jessie hails from the land of chicken wings and snow, otherwise known as Buffalo, NY. She's an indie author who writes historical fantasy, urban fantasy, and paranormal romance.

Jessie earned a B.A. in Television and Film Arts at SUNY Buffalo State, where her full-length screenplay, POST MORTEM, was nominated for the Michael Collyer Fellowship Award in Screenwriting from the Writer’s Guild of Amer

News & Interviews