Start by marking “Not One of Us” as Want to Read:
Not One of Us

Not One of Us

From the bestselling author of Cold Waters comes a brooding thriller about a woman who must decide if safeguarding her family is worth burying a truth that will haunt her forever.

Thirteen years ago, Jori Trahan’s boyfriend vanished without a trace. Now, after moving back home to Alabama to care for her ailing grandmother and autistic brother, she comes face-to-face with th
Published February 1st 2021 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Not One of Us, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Start your review of Not One of Us
Debra
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
2.5

The premise of this book is extremely promising. Thirteen years ago, Jori Trahan’s boyfriend vanished. Now she is back in her hometown to help care for her autistic brother and ailing grandmother. While home she comes close to finding out the truth of what happened, but someone wants her to let sleeping dogs lie, and will do what it takes to make sure their secrets remain secrets.

The book started off promising and but ultimately fell flat for me. I kept turning to other books as my attention
Barbara
This month (Jan 2021), Amazon are spoiling Prime members with TWO free newly published books. This was one of the two I chose.

This book contains some interesting ideas but delivers them rather poorly. Both the main protagonists are female and deliver their stories in the first person (not a style I appreciate) and with very little differentiation between their 'voices'. Both had difficult teen experiences with local boys - not a lot of differentiation. Honestly, for the first 30-40% of the book
Christi M
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Synesthesia is where one of your senses can trigger another of your senses at the same time. Or that's my understanding of it. I first learned of this through a Korean drama about a girl who can see smells. In Not One of Us, the protagonist has colored hearing - where she can see certain hues or color tones that are associated with what she is hearing. I was curious to see how the book would demonstrate this to us as readers. How does one capture into words what the main character is hearing/see ...more
Deb
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good mystery, detective book

I received this book at no cost as a prerelease from Amazon Prime and thank you. Two different people return home to this small town, each for their own reasons. The past of each ends up intertwining due to a murder which resolves quite a few other murders. About halfway I couldn't read fast enough to discover the ending. The conclusion of the book reveals surprising events. I recommend this for all that like detective and mystery books.
Monica
Apr 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-prime
Interesting thriller! I enjoyed the Alabama culture that was included in this story and the main characters. Although both having their faults, I appreciated two female protagonists where neither is portrayed solely as a victim. There were a few twists thrown into the story - the last one completely out of left field. It didn't tie into the overall story at all and nothing was really gained by its inclusion.

Three stars!
Jan 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021
within the first 20% of the book, one of the narrators compares autism to cancer, and everything just goes downhill from there.

messy writing with a confusing plot, unsympathetic narrators, instance after instance of ableism, fatshaming, slutshaming, mocking people with addictions - it's a mess. the main plot loses itself too many times, the ending coming abruptly yet somehow unsurprisingly, despite a lack of decent build-up to its arrival. the main appeal of the book, jori's synthesisa, rests o
Deirdre
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
Ange H
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fast moving, entertaining read about murder and family secrets in a small Alabama bayou town. I enjoyed the refreshingly straightforward writing style, it reminded me a bit of vintage Mary Higgins Clark: suspense with no unnecessary sex scenes or graphic violence.

I subtracted one star because the identity of the villain was telegraphed way too early and obviously, which detracted from the big reveal and rendered the synthenesia aspect of the story kind of irrelevant.
Mackey
I lived in the Southern US nearly my entire life and, honestly, didn't like it one bit. I did, however, love southern literature. When I moved north, however, I found I didn't enjoy reading southern lit nearly as much as I once did because it seemed less honest or real, more sappy and contrived as though the authors were attempting to create a genteel place that only existed in their minds or perhaps in Scarlett O'Hara's mind. I do love Southern Noir, though. Those writers who dig deep, find the ...more
Darinda
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A woman returns to her small hometown to care for family members. She is soon involved in past mysteries that involved her friends and family.

Atmospheric setting. Interesting story. Enjoyable thriller.
Trisha
Mar 12, 2021 rated it liked it
"Not one of us, the folks in Bayou Enigma whispered through tight-pinched scowls".

This was a pretty good mystery because it had interesting and well done characters. I liked the added synesthesia and autistic characters. They added some interesting insight and information in the story. I also liked the the way the story was told from two different perspectives. It gave a backstory to what had previously happened in the town and also the view of the investigation as it was playing out. I liked it
JLR
Jan 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
*DISCLAIMER* I try to review books on their own merit or against the author’s other works. I recognize that it is not equitable or useful to compare emerging authors against long-established authors.

This book was difficult to get through - poorly paced, disjointed, and about 5,437 layers of extraneous drama and characters that had no point and made me roll my eyes. Jori’s synesthesia is pretty much a non-existent plot point until 98% into the book and it’s diluted with random things like drug r
J.A. Schneider
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous, haunting thriller from Debbie Herbert. Southern Gothic, small town secrets, and language so atmospheric that I was carried away, could not put the book down. In NOT ONE OF US, Jori Trahern returns to her small Alabama town to visit her ailing grandmother and help care for her younger brother who has autism. Soon she learns alarming details about her boyfriend who disappeared thirteen years ago. The mystery is deadly; dangerous too as it connects to the long ago killing of one o ...more
... Lost  In Bookland...
Although I'm not a fan of this genre, I must admit that it is a real refreshment to read something different from time to time, such as this atmospheric and swamp mystery, filled with suspense, murder, and family secrets.
The story of Jori Trahern, who returns home 13 years after her boyfriend and his family disappeared to take care of her aging grandmother and autistic brother. But her return evokes old memories, which hide many truths .... What secrets will be revealed? What danger is hidden in
Steven Montoya
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Received this book as one of Amazon's free monthly titles. Figured it'd be a soft opening for 2021 reading. Was definitely right about that - it's a quick, easy read with an uncomplicated story.

The author's incorporation of the main character's synesthia - "a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway" - was at first interesting; however, it was applied unevenly and ratherly dully throu
Brianna Clark
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is a psychological suspense novel and thriller. The book is narrated in the first person by three different people. Most of the chapters are by Jory or Tegan, but there are a few chapters by the anonymous villain. I did figure out early in the book who the killer was, but not the motive. The novel opens when Jory, a senior in high school, goes to her boyfriend's house to find out why he had stood her up for their regular date. They had been together for a while by then. She finds an ee ...more
Katie
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Atmospheric thriller

The sense of setting in the Alabama bayou was strong but I figured out the mastermind too earlier. There were some twists and surprises and I enjoyed the characters of the two protagonists.
☕Brenda☕
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good mystery read.
Pace could've been a bit quicker, but overall a good book.
⭐⭐⭐⭐
*Just a reminder I don't include descriptions that are easily available for books, and to me shouldn't be used in reviews as they're repetitious filler.*
Julian Stoudemire
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mystery at it's best!

Debbie Herbert weaves a great read masterfully obtaining the story which will leave you unable to to do anything but turn the pages. Enjoyed reading!
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
I gave this two stars but probably should have been 1. The last few Amazon first reads that I've read have been sub-par. The writing was fairly shaky and ultimately the story/reveal underwhelming. Like . . . (view spoiler) ...more
Melissa
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Ok

From the brief synopsis of the book I was expecting more on how Jori sees sound. It made it seem like it was a major part of the book. Well, it's not. At first it talks about it when it is her chapter and then you basically forget all about it and are like wait what about her "gift"? And then it kind of brings it back. And then oh yeah it solves it and then stuff happens and it's the end. And I have to say the ending tries to make it out like it's this big mystery but it was very obvious from
Diane
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not One of Us by Debbie Herbert is a very intriguing thriller set in the bayou areas of south Alabama. Jori Trahan moves back to Alabama to assist her grandmother as she cares for Jori's adult autistic brother. Once Jori has been there a few days she notices her grandmother is having memory issues. The doctor confirms her worst fears, her grandmother has dementia and will need care, also.
Jori settles in to get her business as an event planner on track for success but she is also beset with memo
Debby*BabyDee
This was a First Read from Amazon to start the new year. This was also a first read for me by Debbie Herbert, a new author to this reader. I typically try not to read books in the 1st person but this book was done in that format so I continued the read. I thought the book was an okay read and felt the author tried too hard to have the reader understand the ailment the heroine had in the story.

There were the occasion of overly using words to project an air of intellect that I thought was not need
K-BRC
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Debbie Herbert has a flair for creating southern towns that make people from other regions think skeptically if it’s possible. Southerners simply look askance at their neighbors questioning if this is written about them! Hebert‘s characters are multi dimensional, most having good as well as evil in their makeup. You love her good guys but you may also care about her villains. Nobody is only one thing. Read this story; I guarantee you’ll not be disappointed!
Amelia
Sep 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
As a special needs mom, I was super excited to read this book containing an autistic character.

But I just couldn’t continue after the following quote.

“Just as there had been no cure for Zach’s autism or Mom’s brain cancer, it seemed the Traherns were a cursed lot. At least our branch was.”

To say that autism is a curse and that there should be a cure is just not okay. Cancer is one thing. But cancer and autism are not even in the same ballpark.
Mandi Kotzian
May 06, 2022 rated it liked it
2.5 ⭐️
I am neutral about this book. I didn’t love it, I totally guessed the ending like a 3rd of the way through (minus a couple small things), and it generally just didn’t really enthrall me. I didn’t love the narration either. Eh. It just wasn’t very suspenseful. One of the main draws was Jori having synesthesia, which is barely mentioned and I kind of forgot she had it until like 90% in the book.
Deborah Hughes
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Family isn't best

Didn't see this coming. Really enjoyed the book and discovering a new author for me. The plot keeps twisting between the past and present.
Angela Verry
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Omg! Loved it.
If you like thrillers you need to read it! Great twists. Surprised more than once!
Natalie Moore
This was a fun southern lit thriller. Was everything 100% perfect, totally pc and not predictable? Not exactly. Was it a page turning trip to the Bayou with a mystery? Yes. For light reading this is a good one.
Shannon Hollinger
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A woman with synesthesia - she sees colors when people speak, each with their own distinctive shades and patterns - returns home 13 years after her boyfriend and his family disappeared to take care of her aging grandmother and autistic brother. But not everybody is happy that she's back.

This one has mixed reviews, and I'll admit that it wasn't without its faults, but it kept my attention and I enjoyed reading it. I found it fast paced and suspenseful.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count ASIN B08D3V9WGR 3 16 Feb 20, 2021 03:56PM

• The Seventh Spark: Volume One – Knights of the Trinity
  • The Uncountable Cost of Mystery: A Severine DuNoir Historical Cozy Adventure (The Mysteries of Severine DuNoir Book 6)
  • After Alice Fell
  • The Shadow Box
  • Deadly Alliances
  • The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
  • Master of Salt & Bones
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Postscript Murders (Harbinder Kaur #2)
  • Holly's Christmas Countdown
  • Her Last Breath
  • The Empress
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur, #1)
  • Bloodline
  • Infinite
  • One Left Alive (Detective Morgan Brookes, #1)
  • A Deadly Influence (Abby Mullen Thrillers, #1)
  • The Marriage Code
See top shelves…

Debbie Herbert, a USA Today and Publisher's Weekly bestselling writer, pens Psychological Suspense, romantic suspense and paranormal romance novels. She’s always been fascinated by magic, romance and Gothic stories.

Married and living in Alabama, she roots for the Crimson Tide football team. When not working on her upcoming books, Debbie enjoys recumbent bicycling and jet skiing with her husband.

News & Interviews

“My philosophy was that if someone wanted you to know anything personal, they’d tell you themselves.” 1 likes
“But the schoolgirl in the photo had that youthful gleam and innocence in her eyes that could never be recaptured. I wished I were that girl again. To experience that unbridled optimism and happiness I hadn’t managed to achieve since then.” 0 likes