Start by marking “What Lies Between Us” as Want to Read:
What Lies Between Us

What Lies Between Us

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23,464 ratings  ·  2,887 reviews
Nina can never forgive Maggie for what she did. And she can never let her leave.

They say every house has its secrets, and the house that Maggie and Nina have shared for so long is no different. Except that these secrets are not buried in the past.

Every other night, Maggie and Nina have dinner together. When they are finished, Nina helps Maggie back to her room in the attic
Published May 15th 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about What Lies Between Us, please sign up.
Libby I am thinking that it might be her having the same 'Red mist' episode that led to her other bouts of dissociative amnesia she's had through out her li…moreI am thinking that it might be her having the same 'Red mist' episode that led to her other bouts of dissociative amnesia she's had through out her life when shes killed or hurt people when under stress or cornered. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  23,464 ratings  ·  2,887 reviews

Start your review of What Lies Between Us
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT THE HELL I JUST READ!??HOLY COW(that’s me!)

News flash: Renee Zellweger’s Big Picture Co/ MGM TV production company bought the movie rights of the book! OMG I cannot wait to watch this batshit crazy train ride on big screen!🥳🥳🥳

What a breath taking, captivating, pitch black dark, dazzling, devious and intense, soul crushing mother and daughter story!

I haven’t read something so scary, disturbing for so long! The growing tension from the beginning, those sick and shocking twists and revelation
Deanna
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

A dark, suspenseful, and addictive read!!

Sixty-eight-year old, Maggie spends her days in the attic watching her neighbors going about their lives. To them, she doesn't exist. As Maggie watches, she notices things that no one else does. She’s the first to notice when Mr. Steadman’s curtains stop opening and his mail and newspapers start piling up.

But there’s nothing she can do about it. You see, Maggie isn’t choosing to li
Gabby
I freaking loved this so much, and I vlogged my entire experience reading this: https://youtu.be/bmHzpMYzHWw ...more
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Now available! Don’t miss this one and then check out our Q & A with John Marrs!

Alright, Friends, you know I am going to say it! Hot Diggity Dang, that was good!!! This is one page-turner and I flew through it so fast it's surprising that my Kobo didn't need some cooling downtime.

John Marrs joined us in the Behind the Pages group to answer our spoiler-free questions about What Lies Between Us, his books and his writing process. You can find the thread to the Q&A here

preoccupiedbybooks
Published today (15th May) and available for £1 on Kindle, or free on Kindle unlimited! :)

Update 25/2/20:Renee Zellweger acquires TV rights

A dark, twisty tale of two women with secrets and a very complicated relationship!

Why is Nina keeping her mother in the attic?
Why does she hate her so much?

description

Gosh this book was dark! Maybe a little too dark for me? John Marrs you have a twisted mind 😂😂

Filled with unlikeable, dysfunctional characters, secrets, lies and disturbing choices, 'What Lies Between Us
Sumit RK
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every house has its secrets, except that these secrets are not buried in the past.

What Lies Between Us is a dark and twisted tale of intense love and hatred. Nina and Maggie live in the same house. Every other night, Maggie and Nina have dinner together. Everything appears normal at the start but there are many secrets between Maggie and Nina, secrets which when revealed could kill. Because in this house, the truth is more dangerous than lies.

The story alternates between Maggie and Nina’s persp
Michelle
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Everybody hop aboard the crazy train! First stop: Dysfunction Junction!

Oh my, I'm not sure what to say about this one. This book is so bonkers and so entertaining that it was hard to look away from my kindle. I'm not going to discuss the plot because there is a minefield of spoilers to tip toe around if I do.

I loved The Good Samaritan by this author but Her Last Move was a DNF for me and Passengers I didn't bother to request because I just knew it wasn't my jam. But this one! Oh yes, this o
jessica
not the worst john marrs book ive read, but definitely not my favourite. i think i tend to prefer his sci-fi thrillers more than his psychological ones.

and i understand stories revolving around dysfunctional and crazy families are meant to have shock factor. the reader should be yelling ‘what the heck?!’ throughout the book - that is a sign of an engaging story. but i think this took it one too many ‘shocks’ too far. its just…. convenient? i dont know how else to describe it. its as if JM was th
MarilynW
Available now, 5/13/2020

Maggie has only ever wanted to protect her daughter, Nina, but doing so has cost so very much. And for all she has done, her daughter hates her. Nina keeps her mother locked up in the attic, with a chain attached to her ankle. She's punishing her mother for all that she has taken from her.

As we read the alternating views of Maggie and Nina, spreading over various timelines, it's hard to know who is the craziest, Maggie or Nina. This is one fiendish read and the more we k
Kaceey
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4.5*
Over the course of my reading career, (passion, hobby!) I’ve come across some seriously bizarre characters. Folks, these two take home the grand prize!💁🏻♀️

John Marrs is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. You just can’t predict what you’re in for when cracking open up one of his books. But what you will be guaranteed is one doozy of a thriller that will seriously mess with your mind! And in John Marrs latest, he brings that same magic again!

Mother and daughter. There is no other re
Debra
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Holy Hell in a Handbag!

Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love and forget how to hate
Mental wounds not healing
Life's a bitter shame

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
- Ozzy Osbourne

First off, I think Nina should have been listening to Ozzy instead of ABBA. But that's a whole other crazy train.

Home. It should be a safe place, a place of tranquility, for family time, for rest,
Arna
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a beautifully written dark, twisty book! This is the first John Marrs book I’ve read and I’m so glad I finally have.

Written from both Maggie and Nina’s point of view, we learn why Nina has gone to great lengths to keep Maggie prisoner in their own home and why some things can never be forgiven..

This book is full of twists and turns, each more shocking than the one before, I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through! My thoughts and feelings on Maggie and Nina were changing constantl
Peter
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vengeance
What Lies Between Us is a dark psychological thriller that will disturb your concept of a mother and daughter relationship. What has happened to have caused such a lingering hatred? To smile and engage with light conversation while underneath scheming with violent thoughts that will shock to the core.

Maggie is an elderly woman who spends her days in an attic bedroom and through a shuttered window she has a limited view of the outside world. For over two and a half years she has lived li
daph pink ♡
“How can I ask for forgiveness when I truly believe that what I did was the right thing to do.”

What could Maggie have possibly done to deserve this?

HOLY FUCK !! I AM SHOOK AND SCARED AND DISTURBED!

It's been so long I have read something this good. It's like one of my best decision of this month. I completed this book a few weeks back at 2 am at night .
I was in my bathtub when i was reading this( I can't read in my room late at night okay? If my mother came to know that I read in bathtub till 2
Chelsea Humphrey
This is a tough review to write, because I adore John Marrs, and many of his books are among my list of favorites. While this was an easy palate cleanser, I didn't feel like there was anything unique or groundbreaking here. Perhaps it's due to reading so many thrillers, but I found this one to be fairly predictable and a bit underwhelming near the end, as I kept waiting for that big twist that I didn't see coming. I'm 100% in the minority with my thoughts here, so I encourage you to pick this on ...more
Susanne  Strong
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4.25 Stars

Woah! Talk about Nuts.. or rather Dysfunction!! And I mean Family Dysfunction!

John Marrs knows how to grab the reader’s attention:

A mother and daughter, whose relationship is well... absolutely Bonkers! That’s a nice way of saying it, if I’m being completely honest. It’s so dysfunctional that you can’t tear your eye’s away.

A myriad of thoughts went through my head while reading “What Lies Between Us” by John Marrs and I desperately want to spill all, yet that would spoil the surprise
Ceecee
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Marrs has done it again - a five star read all the way! This is the story of Maggie and Nina, mother and daughter, a terrifying and intriguing tale of the totally unexpected. This story yanks you in immediately and fills you with so many questions, the answers to which gradually emerge through the storytelling. Maggie is watching and waiting - but for what opportunity? Why is Nina hurting Maggie? The twisty, dark black story is told in alternating storylines by Maggie and Nina in the presen ...more
Beata
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has won hearts of readers, not mine, alas.
Incredibly complicated relationships between a mother and a daughter were brought about mainly by the events which took place over two decades earlier. As the story unfolded, I was trying hard to understand motifs behind Maggie's (the mother) actions, and, unfortunately, I did not find them either justifiable or plausible. I would not like to go deep into the plot, however, I was unable to comprehend Maggie's attitude to everything NIna (the d
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading by: EmBibliophile
I enjoy a good mindf*ck from a book once in a while. What Lies Between Us would’ve done me a solid had it been less predictable and more believable.

I thought I had daddy issues, but I obviously haven’t met Nina. She keeps her mum, Maggie, chained and isolated in the attic of their house as some sort of punishment her mum has to pay for the unforgivable things she did—or at least, what Nina believes Maggie has done.

The mother/daughter duo

I don’t know if it’s because I’m not (yet) a mother, bu
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
What Lies Between Us is incredible! Seriously twisted and crazy but addictive and not easy to put down. Are you sold yet? I had heard alot of good things about this book and after reading The Passengers by this author last year I knew that I had to pick it up. Make sure that when you start it that you have nothing planned in your life (so iso is a great time!!). You will not want to stop reading it.

Where do you start with a book like this, and not spoil anything? What you need to know about this
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Wow, I was blown away by this book. Right at the start we learn that Nina has had her 68 year old mother, Maggie, chained up in the attic for the last two years 😮. We don’t know what she has done to deserve this. The story, told from the perspective of both women in both the present and the past slowly peels away the layers until we get to the truth. And it’s not pretty!

I found my sympathies shifting backwards and forwards between the two women. Were either of them a reliable narrator? Clearly s
JanB
I won't go into the plot except to say the story starts out well but the reveals were underwhelming with a total mess of a plot that became more unbelievable as the story progressed. To name them would go into spoiler territory, but the choices made by the characters literally made no sense.

Also, apparently this town has no police department? When a character goes missing their family knows who is crazy pants yet there is no investigation???

This was the first Marrs book I actually finished and
Farrah
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⭐ 5 out of 5 'what in the actual f🤩k!? and with a Dollanganger-vibe' stars ⭐

John Marrs books keep getting progressively better. I LOVED this one. At one point I was getting so worked up reading it that I found myself clutching my Kindle and I had the image of me as the teacher from the movie A Christmas Story who is so deliriously happy with what she's reading that she circles the classroom writing A+ A+ A+ A+..... on all the walls.

𝘔𝘢𝘨𝘨𝘪𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘔𝘢𝘨𝘨𝘪𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘬𝘦𝘱𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘪𝘯
Dem

A roller coaster of a novel and gripping page turner. From the first chapter what lies beneath us had me tearing through the pages, never sure which characters to trust. a perfect summer vacation / beach read or just a good novel for to pass the long summer evenings <\b>

Every house has it’s secrets, and the house that Maggie and Nina have shared for so long is no exception, Except that these secrets are not buried in the past.
An intriguing and dark psychological thriller where the
Norma
4.5 Stars!

Gripping, twisty, and twisted!

WHAT LIES BETWEEN US by JOHN MARRS is a compulsively readable, compelling, amusing, dark, and demented psychological thriller that had me totally glued to those pages. This was such fun and an unputdownable read for me.

I love reading toxic dysfunctional mother and daughter relationship stories and this one had it in spades! The story is told in the voices of both mother and daughter here in the present time and from the past. We get the juicy backstory s
Brandice
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted is the word lingering in my mind after finishing What Lies Between Us, the latest book from John Marrs. Dark and intriguing, this story explores the unusual mother-daughter relationship between Maggie and Nina, moving back-and-forth in time from when Nina was a defiant teenager to now, as a 38-year old keeping her mother locked in as a permanent prisoner in the attic of their house. Nina will never forgive Maggie for what she’s done, but Maggie will never reveal the depth of all she know ...more
Joey R.
3.5 stars —- When I saw that John Marrs had written a new book,I immediately put it on my - “Want to read list”. Marrs can be that good of a writer. I knew absolutely nothing about “What Lies Between Us” when I first began the book, but I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between this book and “Misery” by Stephen King. Both books involve someone holding someone else prisoner in her home and the intricacies of the relationship between the two people. In “What Lies Between Us” instead of a ...more
EmBibliophile
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

No, I don’t know why I would read a book about a woman whose keeping her mother chained in the attic when I’m being on a quarantine for ten days now. Yes, I know, probably not my smartest move.

This was such an intense, dark, and disturbing book with two dysfunctional characters that completely messed with my mind. They drove me crazy when they start acting so chilly like nothing is wrong. Like “YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN INSANE!” I loved how fast paced this book was and how it was filled with
Jayme
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Take a good look at that gorgeous book cover....

You can see a woman gazing out of the attic window-but you cannot see the chains which keep Maggie a prisoner there.

You can see Nina, downstairs...perhaps preparing one of the dinners that she and Maggie share, every other night, before she locks her up again.

Nina cannot forgive Maggie for the things she did. And, she can never let her leave...

Told from the alternating voices of Nina and Maggie, (past and present)- you will discover how and why t
Lisa
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks to Amazon publishing, Mr. Marrs and Netgalley. I have this friend on Goodreads, "Dita, Dita, hey Dita! and she has nothing but good things to say about this author. I don't know John Marrs from a hole in the ground. This story is unlike anything I've read before. This isn't something that should bother me, yet it does. I will admit that I had an idea of what was going on. I wish I could say it's because of my superior mind." Hyuk, hyuk! " Unfortunately, it's only because sometimes I th ...more

• Such a Fun Age
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Girl You Gave Away
  • Know My Name
  • The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
  • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Buzz Books 2020: Spring/Summer
  • The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook: 90+ Recipes For Busy People Who Love to Eat Well
  • Adequate Yearly Progress
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • Inspection
  • Recursion
  • The Last Human
  • Run Away
  • The Last Tourist (Milo Weaver, #4)
  • Really? I Had A Stroke? A Story Of Stroke And The Best Strategies For Maximum Brain Recovery
John Marrs is the author of #1 Best Sellers The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Welcome to Wherever You Are, Her Last Move, The Passengers, The Minders and What Lies Between Us.
The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.
After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from