Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  106,714 ratings  ·  1,186 reviews
"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" Stevenson's famous exploration of humanity's basest capacity for evil, has become synonymous with the idea of a split personality. More than a moral tale, this dark psychological fantasy is also a product of its time, drawing on contemporary theories of class, evolution, criminality, and secret lives. Also in this volume are "T ...more
Published February 27th 2003 by Penguin Classics (first published January 5th 1886)

·  106,714 ratings  ·  1,186 reviews

Start your review of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror
Dustin
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Introduction

Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto was originally published on Christmas Eve, 1764, and would serve as a primary origin in holiday publication. It's also considered one of the first gothic horror stories. Traditionally, the genre was characterized by settings in or "around ancient castles or monasteries deep in the gloomy forests, [and] involving proud Italian or Spanish nobles and the machinations of corrupt ecclesiastics."
This was a quickly growing literary trend. Some willin
Merna
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I surprisingly did not already know the mystery behind Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, but the penguin classic I picked up presumed that I did since everyone knows. duh! Don't you know Penguin that some people do truly live under a rock?

The is a novella, so I didn't get overly attached to any aspect of the story. It didn't help that I already knew the mystery which took out any feeling of curiosity. The writing was beautiful and creepy. However, the story was far from being frightening. Victorian sensibi
Jovan Autonomašević
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forget all the films you've seen and open this book with an open mind. It is a brilliant horror story, and more besides. The story gradually gathers pace, with the chapters increasing in length as the reader is drawn ever deeper into the horror of the hero's fate. The story is told via the observations of the hero's friends, until at the very end, the hero's own words take up the narrative and reveal the terrible mystery that has been building up until then. But beyond the horror story, it is a ...more
Orient

I quite enjoyed the adventure through the Tales of horror with creepy moments, interesting twists and some beating around the bush. The eternal fight between good and evil. A doomed personality with an inner fight between social acknowledgement and dark needs. My favorite tale is
“The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”. It is one of the reasons why I chose this book. I saw some adaptations and wanted to reach the real core of the story. And what did I find? (view spoiler)
Melania 🍒
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4|5

I really liked this, so much more than expected.
Mimi
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten how high-strung, anxious, and creepy Victorian horror writing could be. Perhaps it's creepy because it's so uptight...

This is my third time through "Jekyll and Hyde" and first time through the other two stories; one is about genetic vampirism and the other a pair of serial killers (inspired by the Burke and Hare murders).

All three stories are quick reads, perfect for those times when you're alone at night waiting for a bus or train that's running late.

It's always made me wonder wh
Jess
This contains three separate reviews : 1 ) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 2) The Body Snatcher and 3) Olalla

1) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

description

Jekyll/Hyde is such a part of modern pop culture, it even managed to work its way into an episode of CBBC's Arthur as a song (see Exhibit A above)- does anyone else remember this??!!

So many people have heard of the 'Jekyll and Hyde personality' but so few have read the 70ish pages that actually constitute to the original st
Inderjit Sanghera
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nabokov once described 'The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' as having an almost winey quality to it and I think that sums up the unique atmosphere Stevenson is able to conjure up really well; the book transcends the conventionialties of the Gothic genre which inspired it to become something far grater and grander, as it becomes a kind of treatise on the duality of good and evil in people. Dr Jekyll's experiments lead to him concocting a drug which creates an inverse of his supposedly be ...more
Wanda
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wonder if this story had any influence on Carl Jung’s shadow theory—that we each have a shadow self to embody our negative traits, as Henry Jekyll quite literally does with his alter-ego, Edward Hyde.

Stevenson had surely studied Descartes’ philosophy. René Descartes (and his theory of mind/body duality) has an awful lot to answer for. Our whole Western world view tends towards dividing the world into two camps: us & them, man & nature, church & state, those for us & those against us. And life
Paul Haspel
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
The strange thing about the Jekyll-and-Hyde story, for me, is how familiar it all feels. Even before one first takes up a copy of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886) and begins reading, it is as if one is reading one’s own story. There is, after all, good and bad within all of us – a fact of which this great novella provides a powerful and disturbing reminder.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (the full name of the story) is not the only thing that the Scottish-born Robert Louis Stevenson ev
Ashley Marie
2019, reread: The audio narration I found on Hoopla lasted around 2-1/2 hours - a nice way to get through the morning. The story is certainly more "tell" than "show", but Stevenson still manages to get inside your head with it. Perhaps I'll spend the afternoon with Poe.

I should mention that reading this after McGinnis's HEROINE made it that much more harrowing - particularly Jekyll's end revelation that what made his concoction work was a certain unknown impurity in his drugs. /shudders

2017, fir
Andra
This was a rapid read for me (it took me less than an hour to complete) and it was rather funny and enjoyable.

*Note: I only read the first portion of this book (The Strange Case...)
Nandakishore Varma
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy the story much when I originally read it as a teen, as I was expecting a horror story - which it was not. Maybe time for a re-read.
Latasha
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
it's interesting how in the book Hyde is dwarfish because he reflects Jekyll's undeveloped wickedness but they always make him big & scary in the movies.

reread:
I don't like this book as much as I feel I should, being a horror fan girl and all. sorry!
Kara Babcock
This one of those tales that have percolated down through culture but that most of us have never actually read. I assigned it as a short reading assignment for my sixth form English class, something we could cut our teeth on while we start looking at the possibilities for texts to study this year. They were all familiar with the general idea, though I was surprised to find out that one of them was surprised that Jekyll and Hyde were the same person!

Oh, yeah, oops … spoilers.

Anyway, this is a lov
Laila A
TOO SHORT.
NEED MOAR.
SO GOOD.
NEED MOAR.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I reread this in preparation for a Netgalley selection.
I forgot that Hyde is actually a dwarfish man with outrageously violent tendencies and an evil disposition. He’s always portrayed as some ginormous animal man. To think that this brilliant scientist discovered a deadly potion to allow himself to live out his basest fantasies. He killed, stole, drank excessively, and was a general neighborhood terror feeling entitled invincible. So what kind of poison do our young adults ingest nowadays? Tha
Jon Nakapalau
The potion that makes you change! How many horror movies have swiped this idea!
Aiden (The Book Scourge)
While the characters may lack a certain something, the gothic atmosphere and background more than make up for it in all three chilling short stories.

Kirsty Hanson
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a book that captured the minds of millions of people when it was first published in 1886. 201 years later, this captivating novella by Robert Louis Stevenson is a book that delves into the question of dual identities and the repression of society.

Dr. Jekyll has discovered the ultimate drug. A chemical that can turn him into something else. Suddenly, he can unleash his deepest cruelties in the guise of the sinister Hyde. Transforming himself at will,
Charlie Raffaele
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy Jekyll and Hyde as much as I might have, since I was aware of the majority of the themes and the plot, long before I started it. This meant that much of the plot is predictable and lacks the sense of mystery it might have had when it was first released. It is also very dated, lacking much of the context in which it was originally released. This took away much of the impact that the book might have had. With both of these difficulties and its short length, it feels rather empty , a ...more
Dimitra
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
There's something with R.L. Stevenson's wiriting style that makes me indecisive...
I can't say that I love it or hate it.
Well, definitely don't hate it! But it's not the best for me, as a reader.
These stories were pretty good! Creepy and beautiful!
Of course the classic story of Jekyll and Hyde was a must-read that I always wanted to read!
But Olalla was really good too! Maybe my favorite of this collection! I am a huge vampire fan, to be honest. And this was pure gothic romanticism!!!
Chelsea
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
An obviously impactful piece of pop culture that introduces interesting themes, but it puts underdeveloped characters at the forefront and leaves a lot of details too vague for me to truly connect with this story.

Read for class.
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
This was my second reading of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and I’m still impressed by Stevenson’s words. This book is marvelous, stunning, gorgeous.
Estevam (Impish Reviews)
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The history of Jekyll and Hyde is very well written and incredibly interesting because of the themes it explores from the duality to good and evil to the mindset of a person that is presented with impunity and its all done in a small package that made me wish for a bigger book that focused entirely on the doctor than viewing the events from a third person view,oh well, the story to me was very pleasant and interesting so it gets a 5 stars. Now to the other tales present in this book they were fr ...more
Momo Chavez
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of tales delving into the agathokakological tendencies of mankind, calling into question the duality of humanity whilst concurrently alluding to the contextual controversy regarding Darwin’s principles of origin. These gripping gothic horror short tales are rife with disturbing mystery, whilst operating within a Victorian moral framework. Love!
Kevin Warman
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
How curious and fun. If you could meet your more base, uninhibited self, what would you say or do?
Linda

Dr Jekyll, a respectable man with many friends, surprises his surrounding acquaintances when starting to associate with a threatening character, named Mr Hyde, and even makes him his heir. This seems confusing and worrying from his friend Mr Utterson's point of view, and the latter decides to investigate the mysterious Mr Hyde a little closer.

Spoilers!

This is a very famous novel, but despite the fact that the mysterious secrets are already known, it was still interesting to analyze the character
Beth
Sep 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
God, what a horrible, insufferable slog of a book. (This review refers solely to The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, not the other "tales of terror.")

My editions (GR doesn't list it) is 88 pages long. 88 pages has never felt longer or nastier or...yes, the crtiicism of the uneducated and impatient and blah blah blah, so BORING. It took me six days to read. For an 88 page book!

I'll admit it: I'm judging Jekyll and Hyde solely on the book I expected to get, rather than the book I got. Yes
Alan
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really great, absolute genius. It goes to show that in less than 70 pages an author can craft a connection between the novels protagonists and the reader that few other authors can muster in a 400 page work. Despite already knowing the outcome, the fact that Stevenson maintains our sense of tension of the 'unknown' is simply unbelievable.

Outside of the obvious interpretations, what stood out for me throughout the work is Stevensons brutal attack on social mores of the late 19th Century
doom too 1 13 Apr 03, 2018 01:03PM
Similarities or paralells between J&H and Dorian Gray 1 5 Jul 30, 2017 04:09AM
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1 33 May 11, 2015 08:06AM
Embracing your "dark" side 14 93 Sep 04, 2012 10:35AM

• The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel
  • The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales
  • A Christmas Carol / The Chimes / The Cricket on the Hearth
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Graphic Novel)
  • The Call of the Wild/White Fang
  • Macbeth
  • Dracula and Other Horror Classics
  • The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings
  • Romeo and Juliet
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is onl