Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  295,007 Ratings  ·  9,379 Reviews
In this harrowing tale of good and evil, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll develops a potion that unleashes his secret, inner persona—the loathsome, twisted Mr. Hyde.
Published September 2nd 2003 by Signet Classics (first published January 1st 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, please sign up.
Deepanker Saxena It isn't scary. It just throws light on the devil inside you and what form it can take if not controlled.
The evil side of the human.
Childoftheonetrueking I would recommend 12+, the book is rather intense at points. Check out my full review of this book and its content here: …moreI would recommend 12+, the book is rather intense at points. Check out my full review of this book and its content here: https://teenchristianbookblog.wordpre... (less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was
Ariel
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH BOY, OH BOY, PEOPLE I HAVE A NEW FAVOURITE!

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

Jekyll:
- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't bogging their messages down in unnee
Anne
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pfft.
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler)
Stephen
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
HydeandGoTweetStill-1-1-2v2
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic novella as an adult, you once again red-lined my joy meter with the strength and eloquence of your story craft. You story is the gift that
Fabian
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The appearances/superficiality motif appears as early on as the first sentence in this tense, tight, but ultimately convoluted smear of a novella. Count on countenance for good & sturdy bones in a story of detection...

& yet...

Plus there are really nice framing devices on display here, a check-mark always in my book, like the letters within letters narrative, a nifty exercise, which is mighty cool. (Here, my favorite sentence from the Robert Louis Stevenson classic: "Jekyll had more tha
Bookdragon Sean
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encounterings, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utter ...more
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5*
*Read for class*
Jeff
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esque, a la “The Nutty Professor.

J.G. Keely
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get
Foad
۱. هاروی دنت و دوچهره

ما شخصیت "دو-چهره" رو بیشتر از طریق فیلم "شوالیۀ تاریکی" کریستوفر نولان می شناسیم. اما نولان توی خیلی از شخصیت های بتمن (از جمله خود بتمن) دست برده و تا حد زیادی تغییرشون داده. به خاطر همین منبع مطمئنی برای شناخت این شخصیت ها نیست. از جمله، یکی از خصوصیت های مهم دو-چهره که توی فیلم "شوالیۀ تاریکی" نشون داده نشده، دو شخصیتی بودنشه: نیمۀ سالم چهره ش همچنان هاروی دنتِ دادستان و درستکاره، و نیمۀ سوخته هاروی دنتِ جنایتکار و شیطانی. و از اون جایی که با نزاع دائم این دو هاروی دنت ن
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time, he alway
Raeleen Lemay
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
Manny
By day, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll mouths platitudes about trickledown economics in front of a teleprompter while vaguely apologizing. By night, the demoniacal Mr. Hyde stands in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoots people. Will the US electorate realize what's happening before it's too late?
_____________________

(view spoiler)
Delee
A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader for intellectual growth. The classics were read in m
“Man is not truly one, but truly two”

Dr. Jekyll attains through his experience with being both himself and Mr. Hyde that there are actually two sides to him. He claims that people, as far as he can tell, are made up of two sides― good and evil.

But is it really true?

Is a good and dignified person, good and dignified because that is what s/he is supposed to be?
Because that is the way s/he is expected to be?

Does everyone have a secret dark side that they desperately keep in their closet? Does thi
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The story is widely known and very influential. It was retold and replayed countless number of times by practically everywhere and everybody, including one of the best cartoon series of all the time, Looney Tunes:
Looney Tunes
For this reason people writing blurbs for the book decided it is quite fine to take a lazy route and give spoiler right away. At least in my opinion something revealed only in the last chapter should be considered a spoiler.

I am going to assume there are people who have no clue what th
Bionic Jean
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

So ass
Fernando
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
El Señor preguntó a Caín: “¿Dónde está tu hermano?” Él respondió: “No lo sé, ¿acaso soy el guardián de mi hermano?”

Este genial libro de Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson es lo que yo llamo un clásico con todas las letras. Uno de esos clásicos que demuestra que no necesita tener mil páginas para transformarse en algo inolvidable. Menos de cien páginas le bastaron a esta pequeña (pero gran) novela de Stevenson para tomar lo mejor del Romanticismo y la temática del doble y crear una historia con el su
سالم النقبي
من روايات الخيال العملي المفضلة بالنسبة لي
تصوير جيد للصراع داخل النفس البشرية بين عوامل الخير و الشر، و حيرة الأنسان بين الشخصية الطيبة و أخري شريرة تتحدى كل القوانين الأخلاقية في سبيل أن تعلن عن نفسها
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde written in 1886 by Robert Louis Stevenson. So here's how naive I was years ago... and keep in mind I was an English major who loved the classics... I'd read some short stories about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as a teenager, maybe saw some video or tv versions.... can't quite remember. Sophomore year in college, this is listed on the assigned syllabus for one of my courses. And I'm like "I think there's a mistake. Stevens
Apatt
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Fr
Nayra.Hassan
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كلنا تزورنا الكوابيس و لكن هل نستخلص منها روائع روائية مثل ستيفنسون ؟
الفصام. .مرض منتشر أكثر مما نتخيل ..و هناك شعرة منه بداخل كل منا !! قد يكون في صورة تقلبات مزاجية بسيطة أو حادة..و قد يكون في تلك الصورة العبقرية المريعة التي رسمها ستيفنسون في قصته الفريدة ...و التي بدأت بكابوس زاره

هو طبيب وسيم.. ثري ..محترم و لكنه مؤمن لان الروح تنقسم لقسم خير و اخر شرير يتصارعون دائما يبدأ تجاربه لاثبات نظريته "الغبية حقا "( لان الانسان يصارع هوى نفسه ليس اكثر ) ينجح في تحضير تركيبة تحوله نفسيا و جسديا لنقي
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had hoped that a re-read would have increased my appreciation of this old, albeit classic, tale, but alas, I still just find it *okay*. I can't complain about the style because I've read a lot of Stevenson's contemporaries. I can't complain that it's not "fantastic or gruesome" enough, because it does have a certain low-level miasma of hysteria that works fine as a thriller.

What I can and want to complain about is something that has annoyed me about these people from day one. The insistence th
Robin
My impetus for reading this classic 1886 novella was seeing an interview with Donna Tartt in which she discusses writing The Goldfinch. She says that she read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during her formative years and that there's "something of it in every book I've ever written". Well, since I adore every book Ms. Tartt has ever written, it was high time I read this.

I love the creeptastic gothic stories from this time period - Frankenstein, Dracula, anything by Poe. There's something dank and dingy i
Franco  Santos
Hace rato que tenía pendiente este clásico del terror. Me gustó. En algunos momentos se me hizo bastante pesado, pero las últimas páginas valieron todo el esfuerzo. Quizás si no hubiese sabido el final, lo hubiera disfrutado mucho más.

description

Es una historia que nos muestra la sombra detrás de la sonrisa; la lucha interna entre el rescoldo y la llama.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a gothic novella by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson first published in 1886. The work is also known as The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or simply Jekyll & Hyde. It is about a London lawyer named Gabriel John Utterson who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the evil Edward Hyde. The novella's impact
Paul Bryant
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This 70 page novelette is a load of old cobblers but very elegantly expressed cobblers. The main idea is that everyone has a bad side and a good side –

Man is not truly one, but truly two

And hey, maybe more for all I know, says Dr J

I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.

Got that, a mere polity. So I think he’s thinking of something like multiple personalities or sumpin. Now Dr J, being an upstanding wealthy in
Raya راية
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"إن الإنسان سيُعرّف لاحقاً تعريفاً مطلقاً بأنه محض هيكل يقطنه سكّان متنوّعون ومتنافرون ومستقلّون."

كان بداية معرفتي باسم الدكتور جيكل من خلال المسلسل الكرتوني الشهير "توم وجيري"

وأيضاً من خلال مسلسل "تويتي وسلفستر"

إلى أن وقعت على الرواية وأنا في الصف التاسع، وقرأتها بنسختها الإنجليزية، وعاودت قراءتها بعد عدة سنوات أيضاً، وها أنا اليوم أقرؤها للمرة الثالثة، وربما للرابعة أو أكثر في قادم الأيام.

تتناول الرواية موضوعاً مهماً جداً، وهو صراع الخير والشر في نفس الإنسان. فكل منّا تتنازعه قوى الخير وا
Mohammed  Ali
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

" .. و مهما كان ذلك، فبعد البحث الدقيق في نفسي، خرجت بالإزدواجية الأساسية في الكائن البشري . "

* إقتباس من رواية .

" .. لاحظنا و شاهدنا بعضا من زملائنا يسلكون كالخنازير، في حين يسلك البعض الآخر كالملائكة. و يوجد هذان النمطان من الإمكانات كلاهما بداخل الإنسان .. "

* من كتاب الإنسان يبحث عن المعنى .

" .. هكذا هو الإنسان يا سيدي العزيز . له وجهان، فهو لا يستطيع أن يحب بدون أن يحب نفسه "

* من رواية السقطة .

drjekyllmrhyde11
hebergement d image
certificity.com

إنّه رعب النفس البشرية !! عندما تخاف أنت من أنت ! عندما ترتعد
Lotte
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!
  • The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
  • The Island of Dr. Moreau
  • Lisa and David
  • News from Nowhere
  • A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Diary of a Nobody
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is onl
More about Robert Louis Stevenson

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 369 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 301 likes